“Best Place to stay in Torres del Paine”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Patagonia Camp

Patagonia Camp
Wenatchee, Washington
“Best Place to stay in Torres del Paine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Exceeded our expectations. Fantastic views. Outside of the National Park, which makes it quiet. Every single aspect of this resort is wonderful. Food excellent, including vegetarian options. Wonderful wine. Accomodations exceptional. Wish we could have stayed longer. The recent forest fires limited our hiking options, but the guides still found plenty for us to see and experience. Highly recommend this for travellers interested in getting out of the box resort experience yet feeling well cared for. Given the changeability of the weather, we felt grateful to have a warm and clean place to come home to every evening. Lunches provided with wonderful soups, sandwiches, salads. Dinners were fantastic and desserts, well, exceptional. Wait staff very attentive. Being in this type of environment allows a better connection with nature, than when staying in a traditional type of resort. Don't want to hear ran falling on your canvas ceiling or feel the wind pushing against your yurt? Stay in a different lodge. Want a unique, luxury, outdoor experience without having to stay in a refuge or pitch your tent? The opportunity to closely connect with fellow travelers? This is it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kellidilks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Service was excellent, staff are very friendly and attentive. Rooms were very nice, and cozy at night with good heating! The daily walks are generally easy and now that I know a bit more about the area I wish I had looked into doing the W-circuit instead. I understand the remoteness of the area makes it difficult to provide a lot of variety in the menus but I did feel the choices were limited. Lunch is very simple (salad or sandwich) and being out in the cold, it would have been nice to have a hot meal. I do think this place is a bit expensive for what you pay for. If you are a bit more adventurous, I would try to do the W-circuit instead and stay in the park. Patagonia Camp is lovely but I don't think you get the true experience of the area. Of course, if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with nice views and good service, this is just the place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank a k
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

Outstanding service- my wife and I were made to feel like part of the "family" by all staff: tour guides, drivers, waiters, even the chef! The hotel attends to everthying!

The concept is unique, well thought out and the location is superb! There are only 18 yurts, so you get individualized attention, from the time your guide picks you up at the airport 'til they drop you off. The tours are conducted in small groups. Since you spend at least a whole day with a group, you get to know other people at your hotel. It's great!

STAY HERE. You will not regret it! It is worth every single penny. The experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank rsporzio
Ocean Grove, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Beautiful location, great activities, good food and wonderful and funny guides.

I was a little worried about going here, because after I had fully paid I read some bad reviews. I believe the resort has addressed some of the issues - there are now two dinner options though at a resort this small and remote, from my experience at similar locations, a limited menu in the norm. The lunch boxes were big, healthy and appropriate for hiking.

The activities we participated in were wonderful! The guides made sure that we saw the park from variety of different perspectives. Most days we did 2 half day hikes, one in the morning and one after lunch. There was one day that we did a very challenging hike to a summit. The resort divided everyone into two groups according to age and physical abilities, so your activities could be limited depending on who is staying at Camp while you are there. We actually stayed for a 3 day program and 4 day program - so 7 days in total. I can say there was a little over lap in programming, but on our 4th day we stayed back at the resort to fish and relax and on the 7th day we stayed back and hiked, alone, on a trail on the property. In the end we were very happy with our experience.

There were a few people at the resort who were unhappy. They wanted to ride horses and walk on the glacier. They complained a lot - however, this was their fault or their travel agents fault. On the camp's website, it is very clear that they offer guided hiking tours. If you want to ride horses, walk on the glacier or anything else, find a hotel or tour company that offers those activities. I also read comments about people being upset that the camp is a 4 hour drive from the airport - again, not knowing this is from lack of appropriate research. One last comment, the resort is outside of the park, so every morning you have a 20 minute drive to the park plus where ever you are going, and for those use to traveling in national parks, they are big and it always takes time to get where you want. So be prepared to spend a lot of time in a van. There are hotels inside the park, so you can cut out the 20 minutes to the park every morning, but even at those places you will find yourself spending time in a van.

I was disappointed in the wine selection. The only wine that is included is a few house wines and my husband who is a beer drinker had to pay for his beers. I did expect a more with the wine and beer, and honestly I do not see why they charge for the beer.

We also had a hard time sleeping due to the wind. When it is windy, it feels and sounds as though your yurt is going to take off! However, I also thought this was kind of neat. The wind plays such an important role in the landscape of Patagonia, experiencing it in this way, for me, was part of my Patagonia experience.

This is a small resort (16 couples max) and so have the opportunity to get to know your fellow travelers. I have been to a few similar places and I always enjoy meeting others and had so much fun with the people we met at the camp.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank G0neExpl0ring
Lyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

This place is very unique by its location and its comfort. The rooms are inside yurts spread in the middle of a large park above a beautiful lake. You really feel in a very remote area.
The comfort is very high and the staff is very kind and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank LyonJack
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

I spent 4 nights in October with my husband and and had an excellent stays there. The yurt is beautifully decorated, the bed is so comfortable and big, with an incredible view to the lake and mountains. All the staff made everything possible to please us. They were really nice!
The food was also a good surprise. Dinner was always excellent, with two good choices of meals and good wine. For lunch we had light meals, as it should be, in wonderful places, generally in front of a lake. Our guide knew everything about the park and helped us to identify its fauna, including many birds. We had 3 days of moderate trekking, which were perfect for us. The first two days were cloudy, but the third was a sunny day and we could see all the magnificent mountains. These were unforgettable vacations!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Simone-Daumas
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2010

This "camp" is very luxurious in design. Its really gorgeous. The yurts are lovely and the view from ours was truly magnificent. We told the agent at Camp Patagonia that it was our anniversary and we received a surprise cake in our room after dinner one evening. The hike we went on to the base of the towers was amazing, a good workout.
The only problem with this place is that it is a bit new and it seems like it needs to work out some kinks. The one thing we noticed is that it really isn't geared towards all travelers with disparate desires. We wanted more adventure, longer hikes to see more of TDP. However, when we got there, we realized that these hikes are geared towards two hour very easy hikes, which was disappointing. However, when another one of the guests suggested a hike, we did do it, this was the hike to the base of the towers. If they could get diversify the excursions for the more adventurous, we would have little to complain about!
Also, as I am a vegetarian, the chef made me a lovely menagerie of surprises for each dinner I ate there - it was lovely! And the food and wine overall were quite good.
It does take the better part of a day to get here, so when you choose a package, be aware that you are choosing between 2 or 3 actual days at the camp with the 3 or 4 night programs. The way its presented, its not clear that it takes about 6 hours from Punta Arenas to get to Camp Patagonia, so the first day is spent traveling.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple