“Treetop Explorer - Amazing adventure”
Review of Green Discovery

Green Discovery
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Pakse
Reviewed February 2, 2016

I did the 2-day/1-night Treetop Explorer tour on January 22-23, and the adventure was incredible!

The trek was very strenuous--my husband and I are in our mid-thirties and decently fit. The inclines are very steep and cover very rough terrain. We climbed over boulders, moss-covered rocks, tree roots, you name it. You should wear good shoes with plenty of tread. The first day, we descended into the jungle, and the second day, we had to climb out. I was covered in bruises by the end, and was sore for days after...it was the most physically challenging thing I have ever done, but so worth it!

The zip-lining experience was magical and thrilling. We were so high up, flying past lush green jungle and waterfalls, and I wished I could make it last forever. Our guide from Green Discovery, Home, was funny and very communicative. We had a great time chatting with him throughout the experience. He and the local guides made us feel safe throughout our experience, ensuring we were outfitted correctly, checking our harnesses, and assisting me through the tougher portions of the climb.

We were fed VERY well and got to eat meals with a great view of the waterfall and jungle all around us. I will never forget our joyous dinner full of laughter and enthusiasm with the other trekkers and our guides! We slept in an open-air treehouse outfitted with a bathroom.

The climate was very cool in the evenings. I would recommend: good trekking shoes (hiking shoes or boots), bug spray, long-sleeved shirt for the evening, socks, a rain jacket, a head torch for the evenings, and swimsuit if you want to go to the waterfall for a swim. I wished I had a GoPro for this trip, but made do with my phone and a wrist strap.

This tour was THE highlight of our trip to Laos. We are so glad we got to experience it and can't say enough good things about Home, the rest of the guides and staff at the camp, and the Green Discovery experience.

2  Thank Jessica E
"laos food"
"negative comments"
"wear good shoes"

Reviewed January 20, 2016

This trek/adventure is well run, scenic, thrilling all around great time in a magical natural setting. Good communications, hotel pick up and drop off, friendly, helpful guides, good food in some amazing settings( dinner and breakfast overlooking a beautiful set of falls, lunches streamside or atop the escarpment at the falls edge) You sleep in treehouses, they even have bathrooms.The zip lining is just thrilling, the scenery jaw dropping, the staff great! The hiking is fantastic and beautiful but it is TOUGH and I hike a lot. Well worth the time, effort, and expense.

Reviewed January 18, 2016

An impressive adventure course and a very special experience. We took part in Green Discovery’s two day/one night Tree Top Explorer to Tat Fane waterfall. This is the largest in Laos, and extremely remotely located. You are only able to reach it and exit within a day respectively thanks to Green Discovery’s extensive zip line and climbing course.

My family is Lao, we have travelled extensively throughout the country and I have partaken in many zip line experiences all over the world. This truly stands out and is also a highlight in Laos (better than the zip lines in Northern Laos).

THE COURSE
This is not for the faint hearted. The gradient is significant, the climbing component is very challenging. You must be strong and fit. We had two children aged 7 and 9, they completed the course with no issues however were very active kids and required a lot of assistance from the guides. This was certainly the most challenging trek that I have undertaken.

The zip lines are simple but truly state of the art. We had an engineer in our group who was very happy with the set up. The course covers a lot of ground, we spent at least three hours zip lining each day. It is nothing like a typical commercial zip line experience in which you are zip lining for the sake of zip lining. The course is designed to reach the destination. The highlight of the course was certainly zip lining just meters away from the waterfall.

The guides were local villagers who very vigilant and took safety very seriously. Several members within the group struggled with the climbing course and really only made it through due to the swift support of the guides. In addition is one English speaking guide from Green Discovery.

THE JUNGLE HOTEL
Truly metres away from the waterfall, you can easily walk over for a shower. Be sure not to miss sunset upon arrival.

The accommodation is very good. Flushing toilets, brand new mosquito nets. Sorry forgot to take photos, it's simple but you will be impressed.

Food throughout the trip is excellent. Multiple dishes each meal and more food than you can stomach.

GENERAL TIPS
Be aware of the climate. The course would be extremely difficult during the summer wet season (due to gradient and conditions).

No need to purchase snacks, you’ll be fed well. Although pack some energy packs (e.g. gels, no-doz, or jelly beans).

Bring a selfie stick, the videos you can get are amazing. Bring a good camera.

No need to carry excessive weight with water filters, gloves, mosquito nets, sunscreen, warm clothes etc. You’ll be provided everything you need. Just bring a change of clothes and socks, swimwear, cameras, head torch rain jacket and money.

Wear your swimwear underneath on day one (that way you can jump straight into the waterfall).

Wear shorts, it’s hot and whilst the trail is not paved, you will not be walking through high grass. There is no need to cover your legs. Hiking boots recommended.

Take malaria tablets (this is very much a malaria zone).

Tip the local guides in the village. Whilst the course is quite expensive, it makes sense. Green Discovery (a Lao-owned company) have a monopoly in Pakse, and the course they have put together is very impressive. They own land throughout the valley to make this possible, and the construction is state of the art. However the guides do not get paid much (100 USD a month), so please tip.

Overall, a great experience. This is thanks to the guides and facilities, the spectacular setting and the group of people that this expedition attracts. We had a group of 15 and had great conversations with every person.

2  Thank aussiechuckster
Reviewed January 14, 2016

My very first tour of this kind and probably not the last. The jungle is great, zip line is perfect, via ferrata is wow and the staff is super professional and nice. I was amazed to have lunch on the first day of the tour in the jungle, on the banana leaves. They make effort to bring us good food rather opting for easier things like eggs or burgers...And it's such an experience to sleep on the top of the trees among the sound of jungles.