Why would you go skiing in Sweden and not the Alps?
1) Best snow in December
2) Everyone speaks English and is helpful
3) Copperhill Mountain Lodge
Our trip to Copperhill was very good in all respects with a few minor issues. We stayed over NYE for a week. The hotel itself is beautiful and well designed. The rooms are beautiful as well, but quite small even by European standards. The main lobby is huge, and quite stunning. However it does get very busy when the hotel is full. Essentially you have to quit skiing early to have any hope of finding a couch to sit on.
As noted in other reviews, the hotel is ski in/ski out, serviced by its own pony lift. This was one thing we noticed about the entire resort... Most of the lifts are either t-bars or pony lifts. We were told this is because the chair lifts do not function below -25/-30 (Seriously, who really wants to be skiing in that kind of cold?)
The hotel is NOT well connected to the town, and is NOT easy to access from the nearby airports. An expensive taxi is required to get down to town and back, and to and from the bus stop from the airport. There is really no reason not to provide a free shuttle. The hotel does provide an intermittent shuttle to the other Are base areas, but not to the town...???
Lastly, the hotel is VERY family oriented with many children during holidays. If I had children, I would think it was great. As a couple it was a bit much.
Overall, I would go again for the great food which I forgot to mention, great skiing, great design, and great swedish hospitality))
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The site is stunning, perched on the tree line, high on the mountain and commanding magnificent views. The mountain resort hotel has 112 suites and hotel rooms, conference capacity for 600 people, restaurants, bars, spa, and its own ski lift with access to Are's large piste system. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Nordic Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Copperhill Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Copperhill Mountain Hotel Are