“Had a great time”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Alberta
“Had a great time”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

first off yes the trip is a long one but worth it. I was there for my wedding and had quite a big group come with us for it. The four al a carts were good, Italian, Chinese, Grill and the Romantic. the Italian was our favorite but had great meals at all of them. The desserts and baking were amazing no matter where you ate, AMAZING. The ice cream was really good too.
The beach was beautiful, very clean, warm water. Creamy sand, never felt anything like that before in my life.
The hotel staff went above and beyond my expectations for the wedding. They took care of everything, we just needed to make a few choices and then they took care of it all. I was on the beach up until my hair appointment, so stress free. I don't know why anybody does it the other way.
We did the snorkeling trip, saw tons of colourful fish and even a dolphin.Would do that again in a heart beat.

• Liked — everything
6 Thank Amanda683

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kelowna
Reviewed February 5, 2009

Traveling from western Canada in and of itself makes this trip a Marathon, not that we didn't know this before we left. We were hoping that the resort would make up for the long trip.
You arrive at a relatively new airport where the transition to the buses was fast and efficient. The trip to Santa Clara is a long one so get some money exchanged at the airport and buy yourself some traveling beer (Plus the exchange is better there than at the resort for some reason?). You travel over a long causeway to Santa Clara, I can't remember the exact distance, but it is a long way. You also go through some interesting villages along the way, take pictures either enroute or on the return trip as they are a long ways away from the resort itself. Sip on your travel beers.
We were met by very helpful people once we arrived at the resort and your luggage is taken care of to your room. This resort is massive and a bit of a maze so you are best to let them take your luggage to the room. We found our room quite easily but more a result of our kids having been there for a couple of days prior to our arrival. The room was very clean and made up nicely, if you paid for the upgrade don't expect that the stuff that is included in the upgrade will be there as they say right on cards in the room that the stuff will arrive sometimes between 0800 and 2000 hours.
There are two sides to this resort, one that is family oriented and the other that is more for the couples. The family side is really quite noisy where the couples side is very quiet. So base your needs on this advice, stay on the side that most suites your interests.
As I stated, the room was very clean and well appointed but we had no cold water to speak of for the first two days which is only a problem when wanting to flush that smelly, day before breakfast, lunch and dinner away. The water was never hot in the showers more luke warm to cool through our whole stay.
The beaches were as advertised, the white sand goes on forever, you could walk out for a long ways off the beach into the water, however, if you are into snorkeling, this is not a good place for you to come, no reefs nearby to attract fish. We missed the snorkeling. While we were there we had 2 days where the beaches were over run with Jelly fish and 2 days where they had red flags posted due to high winds and strong tide (but it is still their winter so you take what you get).
Much is said about the Cuban food, we have no really negative things to say about the food, it is not gourmet, but it is good food. We had 4 a la carte sittings, Japanese, Italian, the grill, and a pizza. The Italian and the grill were really good, the Japanese and especially the pizza were less than acceptable.
The buffet breakfasts were great, they do really good omelettes and crepes, the fruit was fresh, the juices were really good and the pastries, though not special by any stretch, were okay. I should add that the coffee is really yummy.
Probably the best place for lunch would be the beer gardens, the burgers were really good as were the hot dogs and calamari. They also serve both Becks and Corona beers as well as the Cuban beers and all the different hard stuff.
Near the pool is a little snack bar that made good putine and pizzas. Rather than state that they had good beer as well I'll just say that they have so many places to get booze throughout this resort that if you go thirsty, it is your own fault.
Wait until you get back to the airport on your return home to buy cigars, they have a poor selection and are almost double the price that you pay at the airport.
So as not to sound biased in any way and please don't get me wrong, but if you don't speak french your not likely to make many friends while you are at this resort, from what I was told the resort was 70% French Canadian and whether they could speak English or not, most refused, I'll not share my opinion on what I thought about that.
All in all, this will be probably our last trip to Cuba, the trip is too long from Western Canada and although the Cubans and very nice people, the rest just doesn't make the trip worth it.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BCparamadic
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband and I got married at the Melia Las Dunas last April with nine members of our family present. We looked long and hard for the perfect wedding destination and we definitely found it. All of our party had a fantastic time. The resort is beautiful and pristine. Our room was an upgrade (we loved it), but the regular suites that our family stayed in were all clean and new and nicely decorated. Everyone enjoyed the food, the bars and the pool. We all agreed that it was the most beautiful beach we'd ever seen- the white sand and clear blue sea was amazing. The catamaran trip was a hit. We also went on the forest adventure which was really interesting and to Santa Clara- which is a must if you want to see the "real" Cuba.

For anyone getting married there, just sit back and relax! Lian, the wedding coordinator was great and looked after every last detail of the wedding. The beach is a beautiful location for the ceremony, but so is the lobby area- it was a tough choice, but I chose the beach. There was so many special touches- bottles of champagne in the room, breakfast in bed, chocolates, fruit plates, bottles of rum...

I was so worried that I would be disappointed in some way, or that someone in our group would not enjoy themselves, but I really worried for nothing. From the minute we stepped off the plane in Cuba everything was so easy and relaxing! It was the smoothest transfer and check-in I've ever experienced and we all loved the hotel from the moment we stepped off the bus. I don't want to sound too gushing, but I'm reading reviews at the moment, trying to plan our next vacation and when I read about some of the other hotels in Cuba, I feel I should let everyone know that we were really happy with this one- and we were a diverse group ranging in age from 18 to 50+, with various expectations and requirements for our vacation time. We love Cuba and all want to go back!

A few tips:
Take bug spray, we needed to wear it if we were out at dusk. They fog every night though and it definitely helps. We managed to keep all bugs out of our room, which was good.

Be patient with the guy who books the a la carte meals- we ended up having more than our fair share, but we did have a little bit of trouble booking a couple of meals for the whole party. All of the restaurants were great, but everyone agreed that the international buffet was as good as any of them and we liked not having to stick to reservation times. The snack bars are also great- especially the one by the pool. We also enjoyed the ice cream parlour.

If you like a resort close to a town, this is not the place for you! There is nothing on the island except other hotels. To see the rest of Cuba you have to take a bus across the causeway. This didn't bother us at all, but is something to bear in mind.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LasDunasBride
DirectorMLD, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 21, 2017
Dear guest,

We really thank you for your comments, and sincerly apologize to not have answered on time.

Hope to see you next time!

Best regards.

Laurent Labal
Meliá Las Dunas
montreal
Reviewed February 2, 2009

This was my second time at the Melia Las Dunas. This first time I went with friends and the second I decided to bring family. They were are amazed at how beautiful the beach is. I travel minimun 3-4 times a year. I have seen namy beaches, but this is one of the most beautiful. This hotel is located on a long beautiful strip of beach. If you are a walker, like my father and grandfather, you will love this beach. This water is clear and clean. This hotel staff is friendly and trying their best to help their guests. They speak several languages including italian. This food is good. This buffet has lots of choices. The only thing is that the buffet is open concept, during certain times of the year there are ALOT of bug. Even though they do spray, bring the bug spray.
The a-la-carte restaurants are good, but they book quickly so go as soon as possible. The italian restaurant is very good, but had hardly any air conditioning- it was hot.
There are two pools, one which is adult only.
They have aqua gym in the beautiful ocean- every one must try this.
The shows a good, I have seem better. They try their best.

I recommend this hotel to anyone who is a beach lover. They will not be disappointed. I am not one to return to a place which I have already been, but I have been twice and have no reservations about returning a third time.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank brava77
Dear guest,

Hope to see you next time!

Best regards.

Laurent Labal
Meliá Las Dunas
dunnville
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We escaped to paradise but could not escape the whining!!

We left the ice and snow for the beauty of Cuba and the Melia Las Dunas, but we could not escape the constant complaining and whining of some people that should limit their excursions to downtown Toronto. We on the other hand wish we were still at the Las Dunas. We found it to be a great resort with just about everything you could ask for. Is it perfect “no” but we find it a pretty class act. The first sight you will see as you arrive at the resort is the fantastic Lobby, it’s a huge area with lots of comfy couches and chairs to wait for a shuttle bus, or friends, and have a fantastic cappuccinos or drink. The next thing that will happen if you are walking to your room for the first time is to have your map in hand searching for the right building containing your room. By the end of the week it had gotten a lot easier to navigate around the resort .

Rooms; We stayed in a standard room and found it very nice, we were on the first floor and there is no view at all there are barriers of bushes between all of the buildings, but this made it very quite and did give some privacy while on your patio. The buildings closer to the ocean are higher and even the first floor rooms have a balcony, nice to hand towels and bathing suits on. Do not pay for an ocean view room unless it is on the second floor all you would see would be the same bushes. Maid service was great as well as the mini-bar, which was restocked daily with water, beer and pop. Leave a note and tip in the fridge with any special requests that you have. Air conditioning is cool but the rooms seem very humid, I imagine this could be a problem in hotter times.

Food: we liked the buffet, for breakfast there were homemade omelets(the girl will also cook eggs any way you want on the same grill. We found sitting in the large buffet room just to the right as you come in a great place to sit, it was cooler than sitting close to the food stations and you did not smell the grilling of the fresh fish at dinner time. Our server here was Osbiel and he was fantastic, and he speaks excellent English as well. There was always something that we found we liked, great salad bar, and various stations with lots of variety, fresh grilled fish, roast pork and the excellent baked chicken pieces( This is bone in Chicken cut up in very small pieces, delicious) . There was always something we liked because of the variety and if you see something has just been put out it was always hot, some people complained some of the items were not hot enough. Desert table was good with cakes and various sweets, you could also get rum flambe’d banana’s that you could top with an assortment of ice cream.
The various bars and restaurants around the resort that we tried were all very good, great hamburgers and pizza. The hamburgers will be the best beef you will find on the resort, the beef served at the buffets and the a la carte’s just isn’t like home!

Al a carte’s: we only tried the seafood restaurant, and found it good if not remarkable, after that we stuck with the buffet. Our friends were all scrambling to reserve dinners at these restaurants but the reports seemed pretty mediocre. I think the resort should try having some theme nights at the buffet areas.

Pools. Both adult and family pools were both beautiful with swim up bars. Search out Gali, she works at the family side swim up bar and ask for a pina colada made with the pineapple liqueur, these are the best. Gali, also speaks excellent English and is a sweetheart. She has a two and six year old at home and travels an hour and a half each day for her job. Some employees come even farther.

Beach: the beach has the finest white sand I have ever seen, it is rather narrow and when the wind is strong it is even narrower. Watch the undertow when the waves are pounding!! Don’t forget to take your insulated mugs the bars at the pools and beach have no problem filling them for you, it is a long way to anywhere here so you will learn to treasure your “bubba”, between bars.

Day trips. We only went on one and that was the jet ski trip, we enjoyed this and it was only 15min away, it is not for the weak of heart, it is out in open ocean at first very rough till you get to the canals that go through the mangrove areas. The catamaran trips also leave from this Marina,, we were not into the long bus rides to town- Hour and a half each way.

Summary: We enjoyed this resort a lot, it would have been nicer if it was closer to some villages, it is very remote but that is about our only complaint.

If anyone has any questions regarding our experience at the Melia Las Dunas free to ask any questions

• Liked — Grounds, staff, beach
  • Disliked — Too remote
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank muskoka57
Toronto
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Great place for people not heavy into sports. We went for the wedding of a good friend as a group and it was perfect on so many points. We loved the food, the people, the beach was very nice and clean, the drinks were spiked just how we like it. Even though we went in the high season (the hotel was full or just about), the place is so huge that it didn't feel overcrowded. There was always room at the beach, at the pools and at the reception for the evening activities.

If you are hoping to do sports on your trip (tennis, volley ball, etc), make sure you bring your own equipment if possible. The equipment is sparse, old and often not available. The possible sports on the resort are:

WESTERN PART OF THE RESORT
* tennis (plenty of courts, at least 6) -- bring your own, really.
* wall climbing
* gym (with cardio and weights -- my wife used the cardio equipment and she found more quite good)
* water polo (in the west pool)
* water volley ball (in the pool too)

EASTERN PART OF THE RESORT
* ping pong -- not necessary to bring your own
* archery (although it was rarely opened and they had one arrow in total)
* fussball (what the French call Baby Foot) -- bring a ball or two just in case
* Boche ball, aka pétanque.
* volley ball court (but barely enough sand, so you wouldn't want to dive to save a ball)
* air hockey (was working great)
* pool tables (they have all you need)

ON THE BEACH
* volley ball (bring your ball and a pump)
* catamaran (free but you can tip) -- it's great fun, try it
* snorkeling - arrive first to get the equipment, otherwise it will be gone in no time
* windsurfing

I think that covers the sport section. Let's talk about food

The food was delicious, almost none of our group got sick from it. My wife is a bit sensitive and she had no problem whatsoever. We drank water from bottle and from the tap, enjoyed our ice cubes in our drinks etc - no problem. There are many à-la-carte restaurants, I don't think we tried them all. The wine is free is you opt for house wine, otherwise you pay between 9 and 40 CUC. There is some spanish bubbly (sorry, can't call it Champagne as it is TM) for 8 CUC and it is excellent (but it takes a bit of arm twisting from the waiter to get a bottle). As far as I can remember here is a list of restaurants:
* grill house Maria Cejane or something like that -- didn't try it
* steak house Los Siboneyes - nice
* romantico Isabel & Fernando - too dark and so-so food, also the piano is a bit loud although the person playing was good
* italian (forgot the name) -- excellent food
* seafood -- also very good, but bring a sweater as it is a huge hut with no walls, so if there is wind, you will be cold
* oriental -- very good
There may be others but I can't remember.
For lunch and if you are out of dinner reservations, there are a few buffets:
* the main large one toward the west of the reception
* a smaller, more cute buffet attached to it, still at the west but not as much
* the seafood restaurant converts into a buffer for lunch and they also offer a à-la-carte menu, try it!
* both pools (one of each side of the resort) have eatery/bars. We were mostly hanging around the west side (the family pool) and there was another eatery on the way to that pool. Their calzone is amazing. Try it with a glass of "Santa Maria".
* the beer garden is open 24h and serves good calamari and others burgers and stuff. Nice
* the ice cream parlour is not too far from the shops and the beer garden. We haven't tried it but some of our friends did and they loved it.
* the beach also has a little eatery there but it's quite meagre.

As far as booze is concerned, there are so many places to get it. The main lobby bar is always packed with people, but they also have the widest selection. Both pools have a pool bar, with nice choices too. All 3 accesses to the beach (through a walkway) have a bar on the way, fairly close to the beach, Then there is the beer garden, and most eateries. Some rare drinks are NOT included even though it is all inclusive. Mostly brandies and expensive brands of whiskey and champagne. The rest is no problem.

The animations and activities were somewhat disappointing. The evening show is the most fancy and while some shows are excellent, some are also quite lame. The daytime animation is virtually non-existent, so bring your novels, sudokus, scrabble board and cards. The disco is okay but if you are non-smoker, beware, as it is not ventilated. Smoking is permitted virtually everywhere and it was quite a shock as we weren't used to smell cigarettes with dinner since the smoking ban in canadian restaurants.

As far as outdoor activities, you can pick up a bike for free (close to the entrance of the hotel) and go for a ride. It's okay. The land is very flat so that's easy. If you go toward the west, after about a 15-20 minute ride, you reach a small creek with a rocky mass standing like an island. Stop there and go for snorkeling. There are LOT of fish and it's impressive. I was in the middle of a large school swimming around me and I couldn't believe the quantity of fish there.
We also went for scuba dive, which I highly recommend. While we saw a few spectacular fish, we mostly clocked several hours of diving in a shark-free environment (for those afraid of sharks, there is only one kind around and that specie is harmless - the nurse shark - and it would take you extensive search to find one).
Some friends went on a jeep safari and they thoroughly enjoyed it, and also on a deep sea fishing. It seemed the deep sea fishing wasn't as exciting as they thought it would be.

A couple final points on this lengthy review:
* the resort is PERFECT for disabled people. Everything is wheelchair accessible. The adult pool (on the east side) even has a lift to get in and out for disabled people.
* the CUC is brutal for Canadians. Change your money at the airport, it is a better rate than the hotel. Forget Euros or USD, as they imposed a very odd conversion for euros (felt like 1 EURO could buy as much CUC than 1 CAD) and the USD is penalized with a 10% surcharge. Scuba diving was around 65 CUC, deep sea fishing about 250 CUC for 4 people, jeep safari was 120 for 4 people if I remember right, booze is cheap to buy at the airport or at the hotel, 3 CUC for a bottle of white rum. All in all, including tips, scuba dives and booze we purchased, we spent about 270 CUC for 2 weeks.
* gifts are welcomed by the staff. We brought crayons for their kids and gum for the adults. You can leave money too, but some will refuse it. If you can, leave them some articles of clothing that are in good shape and that you don't need anymore. They will appreciate that.
* internet access is possible but OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. 6 CUC for 30 minutes. Don't bother unless you really have to. The speed was not that bad in my opinion.
* learn a few words of spanish if you can. There were a lot of the staff that spoke either only spanish, or spanish with a little bit of english or french. Plus they appreciate your trying to speak in their home language (remember, YOU are the tourist, so YOU should make the effort to learn).

I think it covers it all. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

• Liked — huge place, so it never felt crowded.
  • Disliked — entertainment and sporting activities were lacking in my opinion
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank artaxerxes2
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Stayed at Melia Las Dunas January 8 to 16, 2009, with my wife (26 y/o and 21 y/o).

Have some travel experience at both high-end five stars, and lowly discount-vacation three star resorts, here are my thoughts on MLD.

Flights:

Flights from Alberta to Cuba are almost always through Toronto, which means lots of air time and long layovers. Air Canada is not my favorite airline, but all worth it once we touched-down in Cuba.

Bus ride to resort:

Airport transition was smooth, met Air Canada Vacations rep, and got on new, air-conditionted bus. It was dark at this time, but the AC rep was talking continuosly about the towns we were going through, and the busride went quick. Certainly did not feel like 90 minutes.

Check-in:

Smooth and quick, received drinks, room keys, and bracelets within 10 minutes. Were driven to our room and our baggage met us there within half an hour of arriving at our resort.

Rooms:

We stayed in a Superior Room (building 44), and would recommend this $100 CAD per person upgrade. Buildings are closer to the pools and lobby, and rooms are larger and better serviced (often the mini-fridge was restocked twice a day). We were also given a different color wristband, but were unsure as to what advantage that was. Room was modern and clean, smelled fresh, and was well-equipped, including mini-fridge, safe, and sitting area, as well as patio overlooking the adult pool.
The building itself was a 20 second walk to the pool, 45 seconds to the swim-up bar, and 1 minute away from the pool snack shack. Also, from our room, it took us about 2 minutes to get to the beach. Read reviews about Cuban toilets being unable to accept toilet paper, however, our toilet handled small amounts well (never tried any large amounts), and the bedet was a nice touch. My only complaint was that the air-conditionning unit was fairly loud, but did make for nice white noise for quick afternoon naps.

Beach:

Immaculate, white, fine, and firm sand. Can walk out into ocean for 100-150 feet on nothing but hard sand. No weeds or rocks, absolutely spectacular, best beach I've ever been on. Weather was good, only 2 days with decent waves, which I like to play in, and one day where there were some weeds that washed-in (minor detail). Was plenty of room on beach, and loungers were abundant (I would estimate the resort was maybe at 70-80% capacity). 3 bars on or near beach means drinks are close by, and, for a healthy tip (2 pesos), you could have a server at your whim for the entire day. Only complaint with the beach is that the beach overlooks the northern ocean, which meant that you had to turn your chair around to face the sun. This was probably my biggest complaint with the resort.

Grounds:

Immaculate gardening and groundskeeping, spectacular and modern lobby with marble floors and granite countertop. Well layed-out. The walks were not as long or daunting as made out in other reviews (our walk from our room to our lobby only took 3 minutes, and we were maybe half the distance from the furthers rooms, so six minutes max, but the great gardening made the walk enjoyable.

Food:

A la carte restaurants were awesome, great food, and great service. We ate at the Romantica, the Carabien, the grill, and the Asian one, and thought they were all excellent. Buffet was par for the course as far as all-inclusives go, it not a little better. Salad bars were decent, and there were lots of options. We mostly ate at the snack shacks however, as we savor the quieter atmosphere.

Entertainment:

Nightly entertainment was good as we have ever seen, and we always looked forward to going to the shows. Animation was weak, as we always saw the animation teams just sitting around. I’ve seen much better animation than at this resort.

Kids:

Me and my wife left our one-month-old son in Canada, and regretted it, as we saw how easy it would have been to have had him there. The kid pool is set up really well, and all the restaurants have high chairs for them. Spoke to a few parents with their kids as well, and most seemed to find it fairly easy. Next time we are bringing the kid(s).

Tips:

DO NOT FORGET YOUR INSULATED CUPS!!! I forgot to bring ours, and found myself regretting it time after time. The glasses they provide are too small, and the drinks warm-up too fast. Bring some large insulated mugs!! A good tip will go along way, tip well on the beach, and you’ll have a waiter at your beck and call. Don’t forget to tip the gardeners, they do all the hard work. Bring an alarm clock, none are provided. The gift shop does not have any medicine (immodium, Tylenol, etc…), so don’t forget all these things. Saw someone bring a small pilates mat to put on the beach loungers (they are not as comfortable as the pool loungers). What a great idea, we’re bringing some next time. Brush up on your French, the majority of people there were French Canadians from Montreal (70%+), the rest were from Ontario (we are from Alberta, and only met one other couple from Calgary). If you can speak French, some of the staff are weak in english, but stronger in french, I found myself speaking French often. Bring an extra beach towel, they only give you one each, but it’s always nice to have an extra to cover-up and sleep by the pool or on the beach. Do your research before buying any Che Guevera merchandise…and see what you will be supporting.

Overall:

Although some minor flaws (beach facing north), this was a great resort, and we will return, likely in April. Considering that we pay usually $5000 CAD for a Sandals resort, and only paid $2750 CAD for this trip, it was excellent value. Very good bang for your buck, and I would have to say that this resort does approach 5-star status. Enjoy Cuba!!

Feel free to message with any questions.

N

• Liked — The beach.
  • Disliked — Lack of ocean-view from room.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple