“Nice Resort”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Rosemere, Quebec, Canada
“Nice Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Nice beach, good service, great staff. Good value resort, would return again. Have been to another resort in Varadero where we felt pressured for tips, shirts, sweaters from staff. Wasn't the case here. Tips were of course appreciated, but not actively sought after. Beach was really amazing. Bus ride to resort was on the long side, but interesting to see the country and regular folks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

5 Thank Evan W
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Evan W:

Many thanks for your good comments and support.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you liked the resort and its workers. We hope to welcome you back pretty soon.

Let us know in advance when you are planning to return and advice us in order to fulfill your needs.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,315)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Just return from an eleven day stay. The staff is always pleasant and smiling, really care about your needs,I send an E-mail before my departure requesting a couple of things and they gave me everything. Melia resorts are the best in Cuba for service and food. The grounds are beatiful, very well maintained by gardeners who love their jobs, they fabricate animals replica from palm leaves and give them to you even some flowers arrangments.The lobby is vast always can get a couch to just relax or have a good time at the bar. In the evenings,there is a cart going around making drinks for you at your table. There is also a table where the bartender makes cafés flambés all this apart from the main bar who is huge. Never waited long for a drink the servers are prompt and always courteous.This place is big and was almost full, but you never feel crowded. From five thirty till the beginning of the show, there is live music in the lobby, and a band playing outside in the central place where you can dance.

The food is always adbondant and good. There is several cooking stations in the buffet where you can get fresh fish, pastas, meats, cooked on demand I even had sushis made on the spot with that I wanted inside, not to forget the babanas flambées.The restaurants a la carte are always appreciated but not a must. For lunch, so many places to go, the beer garden for burgers and hot-dogs,the grill right next to it for grilled fish and meats, the pizza restaurant, the pool restaurant where they serve poutine,sandwiches, pizza, burgers etc.

The beach is simply amazing, no rocks easy walking and very long.
Orerall this place is just what you expect from a 4 star+ resort . I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and family, and will surely go back.

Room Tip: Bloc 36 is close to everything
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Céline D
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Celine D:

It was a pleasure reading your review, but most of all the great experience you had at our Resort.

Your opinion is very important for us since it is the way we have to know what are clients are thinking about.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you liked the resort and its workers. We hope to welcome you pretty soon.

Riverview
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just returned from a week in panoramic beauty. The resorts grounds are well kept with some beautiful fountains, gardens, and spectacular beaches. I did not meet a staff member who was not pleasant and accommodating. Wonderful staff at the lobby bar. Luis, Jesus, Pavol x 2, Kiki were all fantastic. Raf on the beach was kind and helpful. Check in was simple, efficient and non intrusive. Check out was the same. I always arrive early to avoid excessive line ups. Any queuing at the resort was minimal and well worth the wait. It is helpful to bring your own travel mug to resorts so that your drink stays cold and it is not in a little plastic cup. Towels were readily available for exchange, and large enough for the beach. My room was on the second of 2 floor building. I found it comfortable and pleasant. It is not kept like the Ritz but it is safe, tidy and comfortable. The spa was nice, relaxing, and worth a visit. The ocean was amazing, and the beaches as well. The adult pool was tranquil and relaxing, while the family pool was active and loud. The food, I will describe with "cuba" in mind. There was always, always, something I would eat. The grill for fish was excellent, as was the pasta bars. The a la cartes were fine, and again the staff were excellent. I would not go to Cuba if I was seeking a culinary experience, but I feel they did an amazing job, with what they survive on. It was sad to see all the food waste, but that is another battle. The entertainment that was provided was tasteful, and enjoyable, the younger (19-25) crowd seemed to be starting to arrive towards the end of my week. The main age groups were 30-45 with families, 60-75 couples, and a few wedding parties. There was not a lot of singles in the mix. I did not do the excursions, as this is not my first Cuban holiday, and may not be my last. Thank you to Melia Las Dunas and all its staff, I enjoyed my stay at your resort.

Room Tip: second floor, no bugs,
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Beverly C
Dear Beverly c:

Thank you for posting your opinion about your holidays in our hotel.

At Melia Las Dunas we try very hard to make everyone feel happy and love caring.

Besides, we are committed to enhance and improve staff attitude and quality service. We hope to receive you here one more time. You’ll be very welcomed!!!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not one to write reviews however!!!!!! the service my friends and I got from Yasmany, a bartender at the Lobby Bar, was the best ever! He is so considerate and fun to be around, not to mention he makes amazing drinks! Be sure to ask for a kamikaze or a champagne shooter! Georges at the breakfast buffet is amazing as well.. always remembers your preferences from previous visits and greets you with a smile! Dairamy, the woman who makes eggs in the morning breakfast buffet is also such a joy to interact with!

The beaches are beautiful and the catamaran trip is a MUST!

Overall, thank you Melia Las Dunas for many wonderful memories and a trip to remember!!

Room Tip: Don't be shy to ask for a third bed upon booking! We got an extra bed that wasn't a cot and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank mvidimlic
Dear a mvidimlic:

Thanks a lot for your comments and support... taking time for writting on trip advisor and let us know your opinion.

We will transfer your opinion to Yasmany, George and the rest of my staff.

Will be a pleasure to receive you again in Melia Las Dunas...

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at Melia las Dunas in April 2013 and were absolutely impressed with the beautiful grounds and level of service. It was our first time in Cuba and we expected that the food wasnt going to be good, but OH MY GOD the food at Melia las Dunas is amazing! Our favorite were the Italian and the French restaurants. Their cheese was soooooooo good.
The beach was definitely the best part, white sand, no seaweed, plenty of shade and WOW the ocean has three shades of light blue, there were some windy days but some days the water was so calm you could just float on it for hours. Simply heavenly!
I had emailed a special request to the manager before we left, and not only we had everything we asked and more. Everyone always had a wonderful smile and went out of their way to ensure we had a great time.
Now what really blew my mind was that almost one year later I emailed Ricardo (the manager) with a couple of questions for our Friends were on their way to Melia las Dunas for their honeymoon and he was incredible as always with his prompt and clear responses and attending to every single request they had.
Ricardo, your customer service skills and professionalism are out of this world! Keep up the good work! We are looking forward to meeting you in person on our next vacation in Melia las Dunas.
On a side note, about 85% of the guests are French speaking Canadians and a bit of an older crowd, so this is an ideal resort to relax a lot (unless you bring your own friends).

Room Tip: Choose a building close to the lobby as you will have everything you need and are still close to the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_Johnston_Couple
Dear The_Johnston_Couple:

Fantastic review!!!

I will share your experience with Ricardo, our Reservation Manager and alll people invloved in your stay.

Thanks a lot for your comments about our gardens and food offer.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to give us another chance to receive you.

Mascouche, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

So my wife and I just came back from a week vacation at the MLD in Cayo Santa Maria. First things first, we smoothly got checked in and got a ground floor room in block 54. I was a little worried about critters, being on the ground floor but I had prepared for this eventuality before leaving by bringing a can of Raid from home. Upon arrival to the room I immediatelly sprayed the outside perimeter of the entrance door and the rear patio door. Didn't see a bug in the room the whole week. The room was clean, functional, well maintained, by the maid and staff and the mini bar fridge was always properly re-stocked with beer, water, and soft drinks. The food : We are not picky eaters and we knew Cuba's reputation regarding food. Being our second trip to Cuba, we knew what to expect. There were 2 buffet restaurants which had pretty much identical choices. The choices were very repetitive with the exception of a few items every day/night. The coffee and wines are quite bad at the buffet but you can get great expressos or cappucinos at the lobby bar. It was allright and we always managed to eat to our satisfaction as we varied from salads, cheezes, pastas, etc. at the buffets. The "a la carte" restaurants were quite better. We went to the Mexican (to be avoided), the Italian (very good), Sea Food (very good) and the Romantic French (excellent). For lunch we went to the sandwitch "panini" shack by the beach. Other than the lack of larger or multiple toasting hot plates which made the wait truly long, they were delicious and very nice for a small snack. The beer garden was also a great option for lunch as long as you don't mind to wait a good 20 minutes for a hamburger and fries. The beer there is also bottled rather than draft so that's fun too. There also was a ice cream parlour where you can chose from a variety of frozen treats. For those who enjoy activities like volleyball and other sports and games, the animation staff seems to make a true effort to please although we can't say much about that since we prefered the "do nothing" option. The grounds were truly well maintained and the gardeners were constantly planting, clipping and raking so hats off to them for the exceptional work and effort. The resort is huge and that means lots of walking to different places so depending where you're situated, it can be challenging but there is electric shuttle carts that taxi people around. The beach is beautiful and the water has different shades of blue which makes it remarkable. Unfortunately the water was a little too cool for our liking due to a week of windy conditions so we didn't go in it much. There are 2 major flaws which need to be adressed regarding the beach area. First, there are no toilets anywhere near the beach so if you get a sudden urge "to go", may the force be with you! Second, there are a very few numbers of "palaps" (sun shelters) so if the sun is starting to cook you and you didn't get to reserve a shelter, you will end up looking like an overcooked strip of bacon.
There is a cute little "mini town" on the resort called the Pueblo Las Dunas where there are a variety of crafts being sold, an accessible look out tower, and a section of a shipwreck converted into a restaurant/bar. This is where you'll find the gym, the spa, the disco, etc. BEWARE... not all are part of the all inclusive deal. You pay for your orders at the bars and restaurants, including the disco...but they don't tell you until you've been served and that you ate and drank! Be carefull because they can get you with this scheme! Cubans will generally be smilling and friendly and will always be eager to serve...They want that dollar, peso, pound, euro, or anything they can get. THAT'S what they want just like anywhere else in the world but I find the Cubans are the ones with the most appetite and you get to feel it quite fast. This brings me to my final comment which has nothing to do with the hotel but rather with the Cuban experience. The famous "Airport Tax" or whatever they wish to label it as....I prefer to call it a final blow before you go. The globally worthless currency called Cuban Convertible Peso needs to be bought in order to leave Cuba at an exchange rate that is invented by whoever pulls the strings. We paid $30.00 USD per person in order to have 54 Cuban Convertibles, so that we can give them right back to them at the airport! What a crock of S*#it!! For a minute I asked myself why they don't just tax the wholesalers and include it in the price of the trip instead of insulting us this way!? Then the answer came to me...if the price of our trips would go up $30.00 per person, we would probably go elsewhere!!
I'm pretty much done with Cuba but if you want to go to Cayo Santa Maria, I give my thumbs up to the Melia Las Dunas. Have a great trip!

Room Tip: Rooms on extremities are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Busnardo
Dear Busnardo:

Many thanks for give us the chance of read your opinion, we will take into account all topics you are referring us in order to increase our services.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to come back.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Not in a hurry, no worries, after you adjust to that...every little thing is going to be alright.,.Although my daughter had a hard time with that when the wedding planner was late and her guests were waiting in the heat, thank goodness for the beach bar, at least they could wet their whistle. As for the resort, the beach, the food all were outstanding! Low water pressure in the showers, but, we welcomed that after being the sun. Beach water aerobics were fun daily at noon. We spent most of our time there, very good Cuban sandwiches grilled daily there too. If you do venture off the beach there are amazing seafood, meat, etc., buffets for munch also. Dinner also very good buffets, as for the al la cart...you guessed it, hurry up and wait. Wait to make the reservation, wait to get in for your reservation wait for the waiter and wait for your food. We enjoyed the company and the spirits so we adjusted just fine. Red, red wine makes you feel fine and I was surprised that is was not so bad, and my friends also enjoyed the white. Main lobby for espresso is a must also. Our large group also enjoyed the catamaran dolphin experience, it was a wonderful outing and the crew was great! Prepare yourself for the wind down and you will thoroughly enjoy yourself. Cheers!

Room Tip: Building 21, is quite a trek to the lobby and the beach, I would recommend buildings 31 through 41...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WendyTF
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Wendy TF:

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you liked the resort and its workers. We hope to welcome you and your family back pretty soon.