“On Cuban Time!”

and 1 more site!
Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Not in a hurry, no worries, after you adjust to that...every little thing is going to be alright.,.Although my daughter had a hard time with that when the wedding planner was late and her guests were waiting in the heat, thank goodness for the beach bar, at least they could wet their whistle. As for the resort, the beach, the food all were outstanding! Low water pressure in the showers, but, we welcomed that after being the sun. Beach water aerobics were fun daily at noon. We spent most of our time there, very good Cuban sandwiches grilled daily there too. If you do venture off the beach there are amazing seafood, meat, etc., buffets for munch also. Dinner also very good buffets, as for the al la cart...you guessed it, hurry up and wait. Wait to make the reservation, wait to get in for your reservation wait for the waiter and wait for your food. We enjoyed the company and the spirits so we adjusted just fine. Red, red wine makes you feel fine and I was surprised that is was not so bad, and my friends also enjoyed the white. Main lobby for espresso is a must also. Our large group also enjoyed the catamaran dolphin experience, it was a wonderful outing and the crew was great! Prepare yourself for the wind down and you will thoroughly enjoy yourself. Cheers!

Room Tip: Building 21, is quite a trek to the lobby and the beach, I would recommend buildings 31 through 41...
1  Thank WendyTF
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Wendy TF:

It was a pleasure reading your review, but most of all the great experience you had at our Resort.

It is nice to know that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you liked the resort and its workers. We hope to welcome you and your family back pretty soon.

Let us know in advance when you are planning to return and advice us in order to fulfill your needs.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We arrived late to the resort probably after midnight. The reception desk was occupied by one staff member who appeared the least interested to give us any details regarding our rooms. Our luggage was taken by shuttle to our rooms. We were pointed to the right side of the resort and walked in a poorly lit walkway until we stumbled into another couple that assisted us to our building. We all had our room cards given to us while boarding the bus in Santa Clara. Well, no such luck. My son's room was occupied with other vacationers.So back to the desk for my son to deal with the less than receptive staff lady and he was given another room.Speak to the manager tomorrow morning to get your room back. Unfortunately the room was unavailable till later on in the week so he decided to stay put.
Funny enough the customer desk during the day was staffed with 2 people but on many times the staff was absent from the desk. There are two gift shops on the premises but they both close for lunch break and then again at 230pm for staff changeover. The shops sell mostly rum,cuban cigars, cigarettes and souvenirs.
The beach is accessable easily with a walkway. The beach is cleaned daily by staff but getting a hut can be tricky during high season. We ended up getting to the beach no later than 9 in the morning. We enjoyed a catamaran ride included in our package.
Regarding the restaurants, the all you an eat buffet was opened for breakfast and supper. Service was good for breakfast. We only had supper once in the buffet area. We found the choice limited. There a lot of pork dishes, same vegetables cooked different ways.
Your best best it to book the specialty restaurants such as: Mexican, Oriental, Seafood and Italian.We had great service from JennyLady in the Orient restaurant. Baby was our server for breakfast in the buffet style restaurant and she was also excellent.
The pool area was nicely kept but most of the staff was at the bar and a lone staff member was taking orders around the pool area . We were well attended by Samantha. We spent a lot of time in the large lobby at the front of the resort and we were well attended to.
On our last day, we requested to keep one room for the 5 of us since our departure wasn't until 4:40 in the afternoon. Our request was refused by the desk staff until we spoke to the resort manager. We were able to keep our room until 3pm. The weather was sunny, hot and humid. We had one rainy afternoon and the warm weather returned the next day.
We found the long ride from the airport to the resort lenghty.Also we were unable to visit any other resorts because each hotel had color coded bracelets for the vacationers. Enjoyed the hot cuban coffee and pina coladas.

3  Thank FGM2014
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear FGM2014:

First of all many thanks for give us the chance to serve you.

We are very sad to see that it was impossible to fulfill your expectations.

Do not hesitate to contact us in order to change this experience in your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our group of 4 adults stayed at Melia Las Dunas, Cayo Santa Maria Feb 01-09/14.
We all agreed that we'd happily return to this resort. The staff tried extremely hard
to ensure we were taken care of. Two of our favourites were Claudia and Yaiseny
at the swim up bar at the relax pool. Thank you ladies. You took very good care of
us. Miss you already.
The grounds were well kept and we saw nothing that was in poor repair.
The food was typical of Cuban resorts...meaning we always managed to find food to
satisfy our appetites but we did have a couple of items that didn't suit our tastes.
My suggestion is always to take a small portion. If you like it, you can always return
for more. It upsets me to see so much waste. Well fed North Americans and Europeans
piling all kinds of food on their plates and sending so much of it away. Makes
me wonder what the Cuban staff think of our wasteful ways. We would like to have seen a couple
more toasters in the breakfast buffet as the toast line tended to be lengthy.
The grilled meats were all good. Even the beef was tender and tasty which was a pleasant surprise as my past experience with Cuban beef were not nearly as good. We had a lobster lunch on our last day and we all agreed that the lobster was among the best we'd ever had!
The beer was cold, the sun was hot, the sand was soft and white, the ocean was azure blue and crystal clear. Perfect! That beach is nothing short of amazing! 17kms of perfection!
The "but"...you may be wondering...refers to some of the other guests. I'm very tolerant unless you push my buttons. A very large group of boisterous French Canadians very nearly ruined our holiday. These people were rude, loud, and obnoxious. We were at the quiet pool and the group from Quebec were singing...."Hey Baby! I wanna knooooooow....if you'll be my girl". They sang it over...and over....and over...and over.... It was unbelievable. Finally a gentleman across the pool from us screamed out, "Shut the F*** UP!" They just continued to sing..yell...laugh...and make spectacles of themselves. Then another man yelled out, "This is the quiet pool!" Still couldn't take the hint. Singing continued. The same line...from the same song ad nauseum. I waded over to the pool bar where the majority of the culprits were congregating. I politely asked them to stop. They ignored me and called me names in French until I replied to them in their own language. Then the situation changed. One of their group apologized and thanked me for being polite and patient. He promised that they'd quiet down. I thanked him, turned and walked away. I wasn't ten metres away when the singing started again. I turned...and began to walk toward the idiots again. At this point, the chief culprit was giving me the stink-eye and his wife grabbed him..explained to him in French that he was old (60-65 would be my guess) and that I was younger and much bigger and she didn't want to see him get hurt. They got quiet and I left them alone. Two nights later they were in the snack bar which the resort staff had decorated nicely for a wedding. My brother in law and I wanted to stand outside the wedding reception and give them a little serenade...over and over and over but our wives convinced us to keep moving. This group and others like them...like the other Quebecer who ran off with the ice cream cart!...left a very bad impression of Quebec tourists with us and some of the resort staff. I was in the military and have some very close friends from Quebec. I'm certain that they'd have felt embarrassed to be associated provincially with these people.
I loved the Beer Garden. Its a rare treat to be able to have bottled or canned beer instead of the standard draught that is served in Caribbean resorts. Heineken, Corona, Becks, Mayabe, Crystal and Buccanero were all served. Excellent touch!
The burgers in the snack bar were excellent!
The roast pork was fantastic...as was the grilled fish!
Our room was comfortable, quiet and cool. We had good water pressure, plenty of hot water and clean towels. The toilet seat was falling off and I had to push the pin back in place on a couple of occasions but that was the only issue with the room. Canned pop, beer, bottled water, sparkling wine, and rum were delivered to the room every evening. You just told the man what you wanted and he brought it in to your fridge. Perfect!
Coffee in the lobby bar was terrific. Much better than the coffee in the breakfast buffet. We finished every morning and evening meal by heading to the lobby bar for a capuccino. Delicious!
The a-la-carte restaurants were good but we had good meals at the buffet so we ate five of seven dinners in the buffet. We had four reservations at the a-la-carte restaurants but only tried the Italian and the Mexican. We all had lasagna. The cheese was different than the mozzarella that we're used to. The salads were excellent as was the bread.
Our Mexican meal was very good.
Bugs? Saw none. No bites. No mosquitoes. No sand fleas. No noseeums. None! The geckos and anoles were all doing their jobs well.
Overall...the experience was very good. It could have been outstanding if our French Canadian neighbours could have been a bit more respectful.
Thank you Melia Las Dunas. We may come back one day.

John
Hamilton, ON

Room Tip: If you don't mind the walking...choose a building at either the extreme eastern or western end o...
12  Thank newbs512
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear newbs512:

First of all many thanks for taking time and let us know your opinion here in trip advisor.

We will take into account your suggestion, so many thanks for give us the chance to improve some of our services.

Now on we are just waiting for your return!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was our second trip to the Melia Las Dunas, I'm happy to see that the same level of quality is offered to the customer. From the clean and spacious rooms to the good food served in the International buffet and "à la carte" restaurants, to the excellent cappuccino and espresso served at the lobby's bar, I really think that the Melia Las Dunas offers the best price/quality ratio to it's customers.

Another good note on the excellent level of service provided by the staff. Waiters such as Senior Manuel that worked at the International buffet (entrance left section) for at least the past 3 years are also part of the reasons we chose to come back and will probably come again in July.

Don't forget to visit the little market a couple of time in the week to find different merchandise offered at honest prices.

If you have the chance to do this 1:30 hour bus trip during the day, you'll have the opportunity the look at the beautiful scenery offered by the Cuban countryside and the magnificent view from the 48km road on the sea.

Customers are treated as VIP's, but childrens are treated as Princes and Princesses. It's a nice resort for a family trip.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
8  Thank Martin H

Dear Martin H:

Many thanks for your comments and support... we are so happy to see that Melia Las Dunas is your second home, so do not hesitate to let us know your next visit in order to take your stay in our hands.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Bus to hotel - 1 1/2 hours - air conditioned, reasonably comfortable, washroom on bus, beer sold on bus.

Check in - arrived in late afternoon and were given our room keys for 2nd floor room in same building as our friends as requested. We requested a mattress pad by e-mail after booking the hotel, and it was on the bed. We caught a ride on a golf cart so did not have to carry our luggage to the room.

Our room was clean, with king bed, bar fridge with water, pop and beer, and 2 padded chairs. Balcony had 2 plastic chairs. Shampoo, lotion, soap, and toilet paper was no problem, and the towels were fresh and clean. The bed was uncomfortable, but we both have back problems and were not surprised. We used the spare blanket as extra padding as well. Air conditioner and free safe worked find.

We would not return to this resort only due to the bed quality and the distance from the airport, but loved everything else.

Pools were large, clean, and warm. Beach was outstanding and the ocean was warm. We did not have any red flag days. The lounge chairs at beach and pool were unpadded, but acceptable. The beach to the right of the lobby walkway has nicer sand than to the left. We only had trouble getting beach towels once. We only had trouble getting shade under a palapa once, the final day, when far too many chairs were saved by selfish people who didn't show up for hours!

Hobie cat ride was great - staff had great control of the craft and we enjoyed the ride. Beach staff were great and helped us move chairs as needed. Beach snack bar had excellent grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

We ate at the Italian, Seafood, Mexican, and Romantico a la cartes and enjoyed them all. We also enjoyed the Pizza Restaurant ice cream snack bar, and loved the fish at the beer garden. Buffets had lots ofchoices and early breakfast avoided the lineups for fresh made omelettes. Chairs were padded in all restaurants, but not enough for my spouse. He like the wicker chairs near the door in the buffet, as there were separate cushions that could be doubled up.

Wait staff, and the rest of the staff, were consistently helpful, courteous, friendly, and never seemed to be waiting for tips.

Pina coladas were disappointing as were from a mix.

Bugs bites were a problem for me, but not my spouse. Make sure to spray your sandals before doing to supper. NOTE: If you hear the loud engine of a pick up truck between 5:30 and 7 pm, try to get far away from the main paths as they spray for bugs and the truck goes quite fast.

We did like walking and found everything was close enough.

We rarely saw much of the evening entertainment as we like to turn in early. The live music outside the lobby in the evening and in the Romatico and Mexican restaurants was very enjoyable.

Weather was hot and humid.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are just fine. We were in the outer circle farther from the beach but didn't min...
5  Thank IreneMD
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Irene MD:

Thanks a lot for your comments... we will take into account all you are referring us in order to improve our services.

Will be a pleasure to receive you again here in Meliá Las Dunas.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Our experience to Cuba was good. As we found out talking to other travelers during and after our trip, the make or break, was based on where they stayed. I met people that have been there several times and have no plans of going back, because of the resort they stayed at. We chose Melias because the average response on trip advisor and as it turned out this Resort was good and so it was for us.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Renata G

Dear Renata G:

First of all many thanks for take your time and let us know your opinion...

Will be a pleasure to receive you again here in Melia Las Dunas.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

For a trip under a thousand dollars you can't go wrong. Great bang for your buck. Everyone talks about the food in Cuba as being sub-par. I don't agree. This resort had a huge buffet with something for everybody. I'm not a picky eater ,But some people that I talked to and were picky eaters were more than satisfied with the selection. We had a room in building 44 which is situated far enough away from the noise from the Lobby area. But nice and close to the Adult Pool and the Ocean. The room was great. Clean and nice and cool A/C worked great as did the plumbing. The beach is nothing short of spectacular. Clean and great sand. There were enough loungers for everybody. Went down early in the afternoon and always found one with some shade. The staff at this resort are very friendly. Always a greeting and a smile. Our waiter in the buffet did a great lunch for us one afternoon. Lobster or Pasta whichever you preferred. I'm not a seafood eater but friends that we travelled with are and they said it was the best Lobster they had ever eaten. I would recommend this resort to anybody without hesitation. There are 2 sides to this resort. There is the Adult side and a side for Family's. We stayed on the Adult side but enjoyed the family pool. Much more going on music and activities. I would go back in a heartbeat. One more thing the hour and a half bus ride was enjoyable. Got to see the country side with some narration from the tour guide. Did not seem like 1 1/2 hours at all.

Room Tip: We had room 4416 in Building 44. Very clean and a great Maid.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jerry010

Dear Jerry 010:

Many thanks for your comments!!!!

This is a fantastic review that will help a lot to all our potential clients.

Will be a pleasure to receive you again.