“Family Vacation ! Jan 11 ,2014”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
novascotia
“Family Vacation ! Jan 11 ,2014”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Arrived on Jan 11th and was very pleased with the check in ,all of our request were met .We were in building 33 close to pool and beach so it was handy for the small children . The service in was great !! Very Professional ! It was our 40th Anniversary so they prepared a special meal at the French restaurant ! Great !! There were a lot of choices on the buffet and every other eating place , The entertainment was very good and after dinner it was very nice to have a bartender making specialty coffee's in the lobby ! The beach is beautiful and always clean ,if you are taking small children out in the hobby cat sail boats bring a life jacket ,the life jackets need to be replaced . Lot of chairs you do not have to rush down early to save a chair ! Always lots of clean beach towels . And last of we all love the ice cream shop !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank triphoppernovascotia
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear triphoppernovascotia:

Many thanks for let us now your opinion. Will be a pleasure to receive you again in Melia Las Dunas...

Regards,

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went to Melia Las Dunas at Christmas 2013. We had a wonderful trip. The service was awsome for a big hotel. The manager is doing a great job. First of all, our safe broke and 10 minutes after, the repair man came. We got our room keys at the airport. No need to wait 3 hours in line like we did at Memories Varadero (awfull hotel and service there). Every people we met were very happy to be at Melia Las Dunas ( Memories Varadero everybody were mad and angry). The staff was amazing. The beach was beautiful and the food was good for Cuba. The line up for the buffet was not long. They had enough staff to serve you and you will always find a chair at the beach. The Christmas dinner was wonderful and service impecable. What a beautiful hotel, I will recommend this hotel anytime and will certainly go back. A negative point: the hot water was missing sometimes at rush hours.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sissi23234
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear Sissy 2323 :

Many thanks for share us your experience...

We are so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay, but will be a bigger happiness to receive you again in Melia Las Dunas.

Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We went to Melia Las Dunas March 22 2013. It was our first trip and we got married there. Our group had 61 people and everyone said we were very spoiled for our first trip. The only disappointment for me was my wedding day. It was windy so we couldn't have our wedding on the beach... understandable now but I was upset. When one of my bridesmaids asked if we could bring sand up to where i was being married so at least we were standing on sand she first said no and then changed her mind and said yes but never followed through. On top of that because I was sad she said she would decorate the area with lots of flowers and it would be at not extra cost, when we went to pay she charged me extra and the only flowers that were there were fake ones.. I could have got them at the dollar store and decorated myself 10 times better, my bouquet was free as I had the "free wedding" and i asked for a bouquet that were in some pictures and she said they were all out. again understandable as there were many weddings that week HOWEVER... as I was walking to go get pictures another bride walked by with the exact flowers I asked for... clearly she lied again to me.
The free wedding is only the notary there's is nothing really included I paid about $600 for my wedding with the free flowers I did get as we complained to the manager and he took care of the situation. We got the photographer, video guy and a few extra things which I would definitely recommend. We had a dinner at the seafood restaurant and it was great. Other than the wedding day and the few disappointments mainly one woman telling me stuff and not keeping her word... the hotel staff was great we like the gardeners the best as they were always ready to make us grasshoppers and fish out of palm leaves. I think the one we liked best was named Frank, Everything was clean and stocked drinks were yummy, food was fine, I wasnt there for the food if you want to make it a little better bring some ketchup. Tons of variety with food different nights at the buffet had different foods so it was exciting we ate at 4 of the special restaurants which was the romantic, Mexican and seafood The romantic one was great mexican was ok... i would go to the asian one of I could do it again, a few people for our group did that one and like it. THE BEACH WAS AMAZING...I would go back in a heart beat

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank KandM2014
Dear KandM2014:

First of all many thanks for give us your opinion.

It was a pleasure to receive you in our hotel.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

It was my first time at Melia Las Dunas but I was with few family members that came last year . They said that everything improved. We landed just in time to celebrate new year's eve. I have to say, the host of that night was hilarious, he made us laugh so much. The people were so adorable especially the entertainers. My favourite entertainer was Livan of course. He's the one who made us dance during the whole week. Gisela, Leo and Mr. Blue were also very nice.
Apparently, the shows were 10 times better than last year. I really liked them (especially Michael Jackson).
It is very hard not to like the food because there were so many options that it's almost impossible not to be satisfied. If you are very picky with the food, it's better for you to book a restaurant.
The beach is amazing, the water was very clear. We were lucky because the weather was good and I didn't see any waves for 2 days straight. I was lucky enough to go on a boat and the view was amazing. I really had a good time (except for the fact that I got attacked by a jellyfish in 2 spots but that's no one fault, it got better now).
The rooms were clean but there were many mosquitoes sometimes so we we had to leave the ac on all night long and it got better.
It's been a week and I miss being there so much! It was party time 24/7 and we had a blast. I will definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2014
7 Thank Wajma
Dear Wajma:

Fantastic review!!!!

I will extend this review to all people involved you are referring us.

Now on we are just waiting for your return...

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I cannot stop marveling about Cuba, pristine beaches, amazing landscapes, warm and cheerful people.
Fist time at Melia Las Dunas, fourth time in Cuba.Even though Cayo Santa Maria is 1h40 away from the Santa Clara airport it's worth the trip. This time we've been with friends; four families with teenage children and I can say that we had great time. The premises are well maintained, the rooms are clean, I'd though recommend the rooms on the second floor as they are sunnier, and the door can be left opened (unless you're an AC fan) the food is good offering choices for every one, the shows are great and the open-air disco after 10:30 PM makes the difference. The beach is one of the best I've been so far, the beach bar is great and the sandwiches delicious. Either you're a catamaran lover or you love kayaking they are available and the staff will help you on the spot.
The entertainment team is amazing and restless, working around the clock to cheer you up and make you feel on VACATION, either on the beach or at the disco or at the lobby, no matter sunny day or rainy day. I'd like to thank to all of them, Leo, Teo, Rafael, Mr. Blue, Jose, Alexander, Cuco and as every time cheer together:

"Animation excellente, todas las actividades calientes, Equipa Melia Las Dunas!"

Gracias guys
Lorenzo & the gang

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank xTufenar
DirectorMLD, Director Comercial at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear xTuffenar:

It was a pleasure having you in Melia Las Dunas for the first time, and truly hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again!

Yudiel Manejias Torres
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our journey there has been very great. The place is more than beautiful and it's all very clean. We particularly enjoy the great team of animation. They were really nice with us, especially Livan (La anguila) y Luis !! We sure want to return next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank ari b
Dear ari b:

This is a fantastic review that we will share with all our animation staff.

Many thanks for the support and now on we are just waiting for your next visit.

Regards,
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I've been to MLD two times, the first time i went i have to say that it was an excellent vacation. Unfortunately, my second trip to this hotel wasn't the best but not the worst . First, i had to say that the staff is amaizing and the food i could say it was ok, food was better in my first visit.The major problem with this hotel is very simple, it needs a complete upgrade especially the rooms. I think that when you go anywhere on vacation the first thing vacationers expect is a fresh,clean and ready room. You shouldn't have to wait for your room to be clean when you arrive at the hotel and afer a few hours of waiting the room it's not as clean as you expected. The room smelled like mold including de bed and curtains, not a pleasant smell! All the linen had stains all over and everything was outdated. I'm going back to Cayo Santamaria but based on the latest reviews on this site and my last visit to MLD im planning to visit another hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms need a major update including new mattresses and new linen!!!