“Fabulous hotel”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed June 16, 2013

At first I was unsure whether I would like this hotel as it was very large (about 900 rooms), but I came to really enjoy it. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the service to them very good. Our room needed a plumber, and he arrived within about 10 minutes of the request. The main building was extremely attractive with water features and plenty of space . Lots of different areas for seating. The only time it got rather noisy was after the show time in the evening .I will say that this is a family hotel, but any children that I came across were well behaved. On saying that, we avoided the activity pool and went to the quiet pool.
The six bookable restaurants were exceptionally good, I really looked forward to eating in these. The buffet had a really good choice of food, so there is always something to suit
The staff are very friendly and obliging, . A little patience is sometimes needed at the bars when they are very busy.
The shows in the evening are well worth seeing, there are some really good themes.
The beach was lovely, and plenty of shade. The sea was very warm if a little rough at times .
There was plenty of live music enjoy, and sandwiches, cake and champagne (or cava) at 5.oo pm in the lobby bar every day. A very nice touch.
All in all it is a very good hotel. I would go again given the chance.
We travelled with Thomas Cook, and we were given our room keys on the transfer coach, so that we could go straight to our rooms on arrival, only we could not find ours. One of the Management came to our rescue and explained that the first two numbers are the block that that the room is in, and the last two are the actual room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jean H
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Jean H:

Amazing review!!! Thanks a lot for your comments and support...

I will add that Melia Las Dunas is one of the hotel with best standard and also a big number of rooms. By far it is the bigest of Melia in Cuba....

We are always working to provide the best service to all our clients.

Alberto Jerez

Write a ReviewReviews (8,496)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a trip...Worst hotel I've been to. The bathroom in the quiet pool area was not cleaned 4 days out of 7 that we stayed. There was no toilet paper or handsoap restocked in it. BYOFC (bring your own facecloths) because you will not find any at the resort. The room was not very nice for a hotel that is only 6 years old. You will not find any bacon at this resort. WTF? And this is rated a 4.5 star? They only had frozen strawberry daiquiris 2 days out of the 7 that we stayed. After that they made it out of this yellow stuff and added grenadine...gross. And even then it was on the rocks??? Also, they ran out of Caesar mix. I forgot to mention that the maid at the quiet pool area flicked dirty floor water on me purposely at the quiet pool area. She looked at me, put the broom in front of the bathroom door, rang her mophead out with her hands in the dirty water, looked over at me then flicked the dirty water at me. To top it all off, one day I called for some towels to our room...the guest services person said "we don't have any right now." I asked why and he said "the truck has not arrived yet." Not one clean towel in the hotel of approx. 400 rooms I believe? And this was yelled at me. Not sure why...I wasn't lippy with him. I asked him what his name was and he said "why do you want to know" I told him that I was going to talk to management about his yelling. He said "do you want me to connect you with the management right now?" and being really cocky and offensive with me. Then he proceed to say "Do you want to come talk to me face to face..." What the hell???? If management is reading this, the person who he said he was name was "Junior". But he could have been giving me his co-workers name. Who knows. Most of the staff was nice though. Oh wait...Except for the full-time bartenders at the quiet pool area. If you did not tip them they gave you a dirty look, served you last when you were there first and I also noticed that they did not pour a full shot of alcohol in your drink. After I started tipping them then I received some pretty strong drinks. Pretty ignorant eh? The food was actually good for being in Cuba. Again, MOST of the staff was nice. I think that since this hotel recently went through a management change that it has made the bad ones rude and ignorant. We are in the 30 year age range for travellers. I also am a person that doesn't normally write reviews but I had to for this hotel's stay. I am normally a person who stays quiet about things but there we too many things wrong with our stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank wineslugger

Dear wineslugger:

First of all many thanks for give us the chance to read your opinion. I'm very suprised to see your comments... I agree that we can face a lot of issues and every people can have his point of view, but this is not the Melia Las Dunas where I live and manage.

I will check every single detail of your review in order to clarify all points, but I believe that one single experience can not erase the reputation of our hotel.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this place. According to both staff and experienced vacationers, it is the 2nd best resort on the Cayo Santa Maria. Ibostar Ensenachos is apparently the best. The thing that none of the others can top is the variety. Having a relax pool and an activity pool, having 5 a la carte dinner restaurants in addition to 3 a la carte lunch places (I know the food in Cuba gets a bad rap, but this place great variety and much better food at the a la carte places), having lots of activities going on for people of all ages and in many different areas of the resort. Also, it has a great part of the beach where the chairs are all directly on the beach on up on a shelf before you get the beach like some of the others. I was there in low season so I made my 3 restaurant reservations for the week, but then just showed up to some others tipped the guy at the door and was seated promptly, consequently only had to go to the buffet a handful of times. Also, another great find was by the relax pool there is a brunch served from a menu from 10-Noon, no more worries about sleeping in!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Graeme H
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2013

Dear Graeme H:

Many thanks for your comments will be a pleasure to receive you again in our resort.

Only I will explain something about our a la carte reservations... All clients can receive 3 or 4 reservations per week depending of the agency or if they are receiving a special program and be on touch with the reservation department to find a last time cancelation. I'm so happy that you finally received an extra reservation but to tip must be up to you.

In general terms I believe that this is a real review and will help a lot to our clients to choose a good hotel for holidays.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

After a long 9:30 hr trip on a tired and dirty aircraft, with the entertainment not working properly, my partner and I arrived in Cuba for the first time.. We wizzed through customs and our bags arrived quickly. We then found our transport for the 1:45 trip to the hotel. On the way to the hotel, it was explained to us all that we had been checked into the hotel already and just had to fill in the paper work on the way to the hotel, so when we arrived we could just goto our rooms. Which was a nice touch. Oh and we had a map of the resort so we could find our way to our rooms!!

Apon arrival we were greeted with music, dancers and a cocktail, which was most welcome.. The only drawback by not checking in at the resort, is not getting taken to your room! And as this is a big resort, you have to find your way on your own after over 12 hrs of travel, not quite as straight forward as the block numbers seem a bit random, but you do get to see where things are..

We were house on the adult side of the resort in block 62 which was great as we're had a view of the relaxing pool from our terrace, and could just nip back to the room if we needed to, and our maid was fantastic. we looked forward to coming in to see what displays she had made from the towels every day. 1 day i forgot to shut our safe! And when I popped in she was still cleaning in the block and came over to explain that she couldn't clean our room as the safe was open.
The pool there is great with lots of beds and shady spots if you need them, a swim up bar and a snack bar, the only activities round the pool are tai chi, yoga and Pilates, you are also not up posed to play ball games ect in the pool.. The beach was a few minutes walk from our room ( it is a huge resort) and was stunning with beautiful sand and crystal clear water, again there is plenty of shade and lots of beds, but sometimes you do struggle to get shade if you arrive after 10am as lots of people reserve beds even if your not supposed to, and don't turn up till late.. The wind does pick up a little in the afternoon but is pleasant as it doesn't seem as hot. There are bars at all 3 access points to the beach and a snack bar in the middle as well, so you don't need to wander far for food or drink on the beach. I did see a neat trick that all the Canadians do which is bring over their thermal mugs for round the pool and beach, as you only get small disposable cup, and with a thermal mug you can have a descent size drink and keep it cool in the Cuban sun! I will be taking mine with me on all future holidays!!

The lobby is huge again with plenty of seating, and is the main place to have a drink in the evening, so it gets quite busy as it is next to the entertainment stage, but all the bar staff work very hard and you don't have to wait long to get served! I have to mention Osbel 1 of the barmen who looked after us every time we came to the bar! ( thanks) There is also live music there which is good it just never seemed to go on long enough. Waitresses are also wandering around to take your drinks orders too. Some nights there was a mariachi band wandering playing at tables which was a nice touch ( just remember to have a couple of pesos with you for a tip as they are good)

Over all we had a great time and found all the staff very friendly and helpful, please tip them once in a while during your stay as they work hard and really try to look after you, and are on a very low wage.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank fixxy

Dear Jen_Ha:

Fantastic review!!!

I'm really proud that you saw all improvements we are doing in our gardens, summer time is the perfect time to change all the face of the hotel and our clients will LOVE the landscape by next season.

We are always trying to provide the best possible service to clients to repeat the visit according with our availability. Due to that we have one of the biggest ratting of repetition in the entire destiny...

See you soon!!!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Absolutley in love with this place. FANTASTIC bang for your travel buck. That's why we keep coming back for more!
The staff at this resort is simply AMAZING. Take the time to meet a few of the staff, they are hardworking, gracious and funny folks. Many of the staff remembered us from prior visits, and were delighted to see us back. This resort has THE BEST food we've ever had in Cuba. A'la Cartes were great, as was the buffet- there is a HUGE selection, and a ton of cooking stations that will satisfy every taste. There are also many options, including several a'la carte lunch places (Pizzeria, and poolside dining) plus the 24 hr Beer Garden. Beach is breathtaking, and pools are fantastic.

The grounds are constantly being maintained, and improved. New A'la Cartes were added since our last visit, others were 'spruced up' LOVED the addition of the bar cart and Specialty Coffee station in the lobby at night.

Cuban Fiesta night was so much fun!

Rooms are spacious, and adequate. Beds are comfy and clean. AC and hot water were great.

Because we were returning guests, we were upgraded to a Superior room - this was a nice touch, which we really appreciated. The room is a different layout than the standard (which is still great, BTW!) and has a few nice perks (entry way, couch, walk in closet, separate sink/countertop and dressing table with mirror)

We just LOVE the 'vibe' of this hotel...great place to relax, but still be entertained if you wish.
BEST lobby atmosphere of any place we've EVER visited. We spent a great deal of time chatting with the lobby bar, and other staff, and will be so glad to come 'home' to Melia Las Dunas to see them again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Jen_Ha
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Jen_Ha:

Fantastic review!!!

See you soon!!!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My first time to MLD and to Cuba. I went along with my fiancé and two small children, 1 and 3. Also travelled with two friends. We stayed the last 2 weeks of May 2013. Before we went I read a lot of mixed reviews about this hotel, with some people really giving it bad reviews. I can definitively say that I can't see what they are moaning about. I will try and break my appraisal of the hotel into the important things. I have been to Mexico before, and I prefer Cuba by miles.

Beach - Gorgeous, usually pretty easy to find a bed and shady spot. Its a long beach with three walkways onto at the centre, left side and right side of the hotel. If one Area seems particularly busy take a walk up the beach and you will find a nice spot. Hobby cat rides are great and all inclusive.

Pools - Two pools, the busy activity pool is busier but always managed to find four sun loungers together. The other pool, the adult pool was very quiet and relaxing, and there were always plenty of sun loungers here. Pools are clean tidy and of varying depths. Lovely areas to have fun in and to relax in respectively.

Staff - 99% are the staff go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. 1 or 2 were a little shy, but this was down to lack of conversational English, but they all carried out their duties perfectly. Sometimes you may get the wrong drink when the bars are busy, but so what. Its all inclusive, you might get something you didn't know you liked. I'd like to extend a special thanks to Hector the grounds man, who was so friendly and warm. Gali in the pool bar who always had a smile on her face. Gilberto who waited our wedding drinks, very professional. Ozzy in the lobby bar who was a good laugh and was a fantastic bar man, worthy of working in the best bars in the world. Marie Eleanor the wedding planner was a dream and even helped liaise between us and our appalling tour operator Thomas Cook. The Girls in the Mini-Club were also fab, especially Nery and Yissel, our girls loved their time with them. Even Alberto the hotel general manager was a thoroughly friendly guy always around for a chat and to help out. Carried the pram up the stairs for me one night, what a star. Thank you Alberto! and I hoped you enjoyed you holiday if your reading this. Sorry to those whose names I've forgotten but the team at MLD are a credit to the hotel and to Cuba.

Tipping - No pressure to tip, a pecso here and there go a long way. More importantly, be polite. Please and thank you go a long way. Many of the staff are very highly educated and enjoy a good chat. Manners go much further than throwing a coin at someone and demanding service. A few of the guests could of done with keeping that in mind! If you want to help the Cubans out, take new clothes you don't mind leaving behind especially children's clothes and other bits an pieces like pencils, handbags, shoes etc. We ended up leaving our pram! Some staff will even offer to buy things from you at the end of your trip, we took a tiny amount of money for things when asked. Rich or poor we all have pride and the Cubans appreciate the opportunity to purchase things they can't usually get hold of. Also worth noting, maids get a lot here, its nice share it round the staff if possible. You can tip all the money in the world but the Cubans struggle to get hold of certain western goods, so gifts are appreciated and its a nice way to help out a wonderful people.

Rooms - We stayed in room 2121 superior first floor. Block 21 on the adult pool side. Decent satellite TV with about 40 channels. HBO, CNN, ESPN, BBC News and so on. Mini-bar in room is regularly filled, if you want extra just ask the Mini-bar guy, came to us around 6pm and what we asked for we got. Lovely guy. The rooms are clean, but if you think your floor needs an extra mop or something, then just ask. Nothing is a problem for the staff. A lot is said about the walking around the resort with it being quite a large place. Can't say I noticed, got everywhere I wanted to get within a short stroll. Buggy's are always around if you fancy getting off your feet, but genuinely not a problem.

Food - Lovely, ok it wasn't the Ivy but your in Cuba. They can only make meals with what they have. Delicious food, wholesome food just what you need. Lots of choice really for a buffet even fussy eaters like my 3 year old ate well every time we went. Went to the Romantic, Mexican, pizzeria, and Italian. All the restaurants were gorgeous, sometimes an odd take on a classic but all fantastic.

Bars - The lobby bar is worthy of any 5* Hotel in London or Paris. Fantastic selection of spirits and cocktails. Coffees are a treat too. Felt really friendly and professional. Spent many an hour in the Lobby bar! On the afternoons, around 5pm they do an afternoon tea, with sandwiches and cake with proper Tea. The beer garden is fabulous too, good relaxed atmosphere, good selection of bottled beers and spirits. The snacks and meals are 24hour and I can tell you at 4am a steak sandwich and Rum and coke go down a treat! Pool bars are fine, well equipped and ready to serve normal poolside drinks.

Grounds/Hotel - Lovely setting. The grounds guys do a wonderful job. There was always someone painting somewhere, keeping it looking fresh and tidy. Hotel could of been 4 years old or 20. You can't really tell unless you go looking for it.

Wedding - We got married here, absolutely beautiful. Can't say more than that.

Spa - Friends and wife visited spa they utterly loved it.

General Comments - Normally on a 2 week Vacation I'm ready for home at the end. Not this time, I genuinely didn't want to leave! The whole attitude and atmosphere of the place is fantastic, relaxed chilled and fun. You can find a quiet corner in the shade with a cup of tea or you can go drinking with new Canadian friends till 7am the next day. You will find things you don't like or slight failing if you go looking for them, but if you just relax and enjoy this place it will reward you with an amazing time. What the Cubans lack in finesse they make up for with pleasantness and effort. It's a hotel for everyone, we met family, honeymooners, old couples, young couples for all over the world and they all loved the place. The gifts are cheap here too, (1 litre of rum £4) but you can get some good deals in the airport on cigars and spirits on departure. So defiantly worth holding a few pescos back for the airport.

We made some amazing friends while in Cuba and no doubt the excellent atmosphere of the hotel helped this to happen.

Cannot wait to go back! (one day, its a big world to see)

Room Tip: Go for first floor superior room if you can. Better views and a bit airier.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank russkel

Dear Russkel:

Many thanks for your comments, it was a real pleasure to speak with you and help you during your stay... This is a review full of tips that our clients can take into account when they are coming to Cuba and also Melia Las Dunas.

Thanks a lot for the support and I will extend your comments to my staff in order to give them a satisfaction for your pleasant stay.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you will repeat your visit.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went as a family for the last two weeks of May, and two friends came along. We were also getting married whilst there, so this was a trip that had to be perfect or I'd have been broken hearted.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel it was clear that the staff were pleased to see us. They had the most fantastic welcome party going on, the main walk way was lined with beautiful dancers, and the staff were handing out cocktails to the adults and children (none alcoholic for the children). Unfortunately my eldest daughter vomited all over the front step so we didn't get to stay long, however within 5 minutes it had been cleaned up and they'd offered her a glass of water.
The hotel is absolutely beautiful. Marble every where you look, and everything seems to have its own beauty about it. In the lobby bar you've got the little seating areas on the water, which are lovely to sit on in the day and be in the sun without it beating down on you, or in the night when you want to be a spectator not a participator of the events.
The gardens are very well kept and the gardeners are lovely. They always seem to be making things, especially for the children, little grasshoppers and birds etc. Hector especially was wonderful, he made me a beautiful bouquet for my room on my wedding day. You can also ask them to cut you a coconut down and they will do, and even open it for you - can't get much fresher than that!
The pools are nice, never any struggle to get a lounger, either in the adults relaxation pool or by the activity pool. Its worth remembering its called the activity pool for a reason! Pretty much always something happening, but sometimes it is fun to sit and watch!
The lobby bar was my favourite place to be to be honest, they do the best hot chocolates! They have a brilliant selection of national and international drinks. Also if you want something really refreshing ask for "a little beer and a lot of slush" the best shandy in the world. The only thing that really did refresh me. One part of the bar is none smoking, which apart from the sports bar, is the only place I could see that was. Though no one ever smoked in any of the restaurants....
The ambience of the entire hotel was awesome. It was more like a little village than a hotel, it also didn't feel as big as it was. We made some good friends of Canadian and British nationalities. And we soon realised that everyone seemed to congregate in one of three places, the lobby bar, the maraca's bar or the pool. You definitely get out of the people what you put in. Be prepared to smile and pass the time of day. You'll find yourself making memories you didn't even think you'd want to make!
The maraca's bar is the 24hour bar, it does English beers and was the only place I managed to get a strawberry daiquiri. It always got very noisy about 2am. ... it was a proper bar by then. But maybe that was the people that we landed on whilst we were there. They also do the best steak sandwiches ever.
The food was varied and some nicer than others. I didn't like the cheese so stayed away from that. However they did a yummy pasta and sauce thing and the best fried rice. The stations where they cook to order can get busy, but plan this accordingly, at immiediate service start they aren't busy, also go there before getting the add-ons like chips etc.
The kids club was brilliant, the girls were lovely and I couldn't keep my eldest away. They also did a little disco every night. They were always doing something, either playing with playdough, or painting etc. Just be prepared that they take responsibility for your children so if there is something you'd rather they didn't do (paint nails etc) its probably worth saying. A smile and a bit of a appreciation goes along way!

The entertainment of an evening was always different and very fun to watch. I especially liked the magician....

The only let downs I had with the hotel was due to the other guests. I found some of them to be so rude towards not only me, but the staff I was quite upset on a couple of occasions. Once I saw a Canadian lady shove a plate in a servers face and demand he re-cleaned it because "its unacceptable and she's not a pig like him" , the only thing wrong with the plate was a tiny black mark it had gotten from being stacked with a lot of other plates...its what happens when enamel rubs. It was the same sort of people who assumed that throwing a peso at someone meant they had to be served first and could be as rude as they wanted. That's not how it works. We tipped a lot, but that's because we genuinely wanted to. I wanted to tip the server who helped entertain my two children whilst I got breakfast for them and I was alone with them and they were getting cranky, I wanted to tip the server at the bar who not only remembered the 18 drink long order he also remembered how I took mine without having to explain it to him. I wanted to tip the minibar guy who always made sure we had a couple of bottles of water because we had the children, and who always helped me up and down the steps on the frequent occasions he saw me. Basically I tipped because I wanted to show gratitude, not because it was expected. I never saw that attitude from any member of staff. At all.
The staff were the people that made this holiday what it was. And this is somewhere I'd return to next month if I could...as it is I might wait a year!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bethany H

Dear Bethany H:

Very good review to us in my opinion. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed our services and can be sure that will be our pleasure to receive you again in this beautiful resort.

I agree 100% with your comments, in my opinion Cubans are amazing people with a lot of culture, and the best way to obtain something is to request it with respect, can be even better than to tip.

Will be a pleasure to receive you again...

Alberto Jerez,

Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#11 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Las Dunas? Share your experiences!