“Amazing vacation and wedding with family and friends!!!!!”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing vacation and wedding with family and friends!!!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We travelled here for our second time and brought 65 guests with us for our wedding. Since we love this resort so much we knew it was our first choice for our wedding location. We got a superior room upgrade and the room was amazing and bed super comfortable. We had a fabulous week and the weather was amazing! The wedding cordinator Maria Elena was the best and made our day very special and exactly what we wanted. Wally is the best entertainment person and made our time on the beach each day so much fun! All of our guests had a great time and enjoyed the beach party they had one evening that doubled as our farewell party. Food seems to be improving each time we come and I'm the pickiest eater even in Canada and I always seem to find something to eat each time I would go for a meal...After all it is Cuba and they are not able to get all the things we have in North America so they do there best with what they have. I'm already planning to come back next year for our anniversary and I'm sure alot of our guests are planning to return to this resort as well!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sweet_chiquita12
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear sweet_chiquita12:

Whow!!! this is an amazing review, I´m so happy to read your comments and will be my pleasure to receive you again by your anniversary.

Do not hesitate to contact us!!

Alberto Jerez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

So, here we are with 42 guests for my Daughters wedding. We stayed at Melia Las Dunas from May 17 to 24. Having been to this Cayo once before I tried to convince my Daughter and now Husband that Cayo Santa Maria has and always has had issues.

In regards to the wedding-Kudos The wedding co-ordinator Maria Elana did a job that I could not believe. From arranging Pictures, Flowers, Video, Cocktail Party with 3 piece band, Perfect Meal at the reception again with a 3 pc band and music to dance at the end. Even the Staff serving got into the reception. Great time had by all.

This is where this review does its job. Having been to the Melia Cayo Guillmero in Cayo Coco back in February 2013 its really hard to give this resort anything more than a three (3).

Melia las Dunas in most of previous reviews is bang on for the most part.

Food at the buffets where either great or bad
A-la-carte restaurants where either great or bad
The snack bars by the pools where just terrible
The 24 hour bar the food and staff where the worst
A large portion of the staff did not speak great English and where miserable
The size of property and distance from the airport is a large issue.
Mini Bar service was most of the time a phone call for service

In all fairness, registration on the bus during the drive over is a bonus, the rooms where great, the Family side pool was well maintained and the staff at the bar always took care of me, plus they have the best beaches I have seen

Tipping is big at this resort, the more you flash the bucks the better the service, something I have never seen in my previous 4 trips to Cuba.

All in all, I would not return to Melia Las Dunas, as this was a less than great time that I would expect for the Melia chain. In comparison Melia Cayo Guillmero is 1/3 of the size, all speak fluent english, happy and work for your smile. This resort was just plain misery.

In closing previous reviews have noted the length people waited at the Fresh Cook Stations, well the long waits is due to bad management. The Buffet opens at 7, with a family resort with kids and older folks like myself we normally eat at 5-6 p.m. If it opens at 7 you probably have 50% or more of the resort all going for 7. The al-a-cartes funny enough open there first reservation at 6:30. Melia's in Cayo Coco have there buffets open a 6.

Hope this helps.

I personally do not like Cayo Santa Maria because of its location

Room Tip: We had an upgraded room on the second floor 2827 which was right behind the family pool. No bugs, v...
2 Thank crazymark2006
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear crazymark2006:

Many thanks for your comments; we will take into account all the points of your review...
It was a pleasure to receive you in our hotel and we are so happy to see you enjoyed the wedding ceremony; I will extend this information to Maria Elena.

Concerning with other topics, we will follow your advice and check every single point of your review to improve our services.

UK
Reviewed May 26, 2013

we spent 2 weeks in this lovely hotel. I wont go into great detail about the rooms and specially about the food as they are down to personal taste (funnily enough somebody's favourite restaurant was the Mexican and we actually walked out, as I couldn't make up my mind whether the food or the service was more terrible), although I have to say I never slept in such comfortable and huuuuuuuuge bed and the omelette by the breakfast was just about the best I ever ate (if you eat freshly prepared food and you like it, please feel free to tip the person who makes it for you, nothing is wrong with showing some appreciation)

just a few words about the basics, and after I cover the excursions as I was missing this info before we went

basic things in few words:

check in:
the best organised check in under the sun

grounds:
kept amazingly clean, we travelled a lot in the Caribbean and probably this was one of the cleanest resort

pools:
they put great effort to keep them spotless and clean, and they keep the chemical level very skin friendly, I spent loads of time in the pool and my skin didn't dry out like normally does

rooms:
spacious with massive beds, the bathroom is a bit tired but does the job (the drying lines covered with mould could be changed)

room cleanliness:
well, it depends on the mood of the cleaner lady/ies. we tipped every day but the quality of the cleaning and the amount of the clean towels changed every day. the bed was always made but pretty much this was the only constant thing although we always left the room very tidy

minibar:
sore point, somebody already mentioned before me that you get just one bottle of water what is not enough. we tried to save the bottles up and ask the bar staff to fill it but they fill it from the same pump what they use for the soft drinks and the water from this pump taste horrible :( although they don't advertise it, you can get diet coke if you are diabetic

staff:
here we go. this is one of the explanation for my 3 stars. the staff is divided to 2 groups: front desk+lobby bar and the rest. the rest was amazing: Elisabeth (oriental restaurant), Anabel (Italian restaurant) and most definitely Anelise (romantic restaurant), if you ask for them, you will be looked after like a royalty even on the first time before you start tipping (what I really liked). the guys they keep the beach clean and the gardeners will occasionally give you hibiscus etc, please don't forget they work all day on the grounds and they don't get the "tipping job", your tips means a lot to them.

and we arrived to the lobby bar and front desk. the worst service I experienced in my entire life. ever. I cannot find words for the rudeness and ignorance for the staff here, and the thanks for the front bar serving staff we actually wanted to return home on the first night when we arrived. we were overlooked for over 15 min in the basically empty bar and there was no thanks in the level of service when we actually were served. I was livid, like on every other occasion when I had to contact them (they forgot the wedding anniversary cake what we requested and they spoke with me in an unacceptable manner - although the case was solved later but I didn't find out about it until the night so left a bad taste in the mouth, the customer service guy wasn't helpful / understanding what so ever: when my husband wanted to change money to tip them they threw the money back at him, or just ignored him for over 10 min by the empty reception desk)

a la carte restaurant booking
I have to say 1 person stood out: Enery - most of the staff wait until 9 o'clock to make restaurant reservations but if he sees somebody there he helps and doesn't make you wait and stand there (the others do, rather "funny" I spent more queuing on this holiday than ever before) he works every other day ( a gentleman with greyish hair and glasses). if you want a pleasant and exceptional service go to him, he will make sure you will be served in the highest customer service level - please don't forget to tip him :D

AND THE REASON OF THE 3 STARS - MOJITO
I came to this country as mojito is my fav drink and I wanted to drink the original. OOOOH god wish I didn't. there is 1 person who can make acceptable mojito here, called Bertalina and she works in the lobby bar (lovely lady with blondish hair, make sure she prepares your drink). seriously if you never drank mojito, don't try it here (not to mention, that most of the time they couldn't serve it anyway as they run out of mint leaves). 2 massive spoon of sugar in a tiny cup with 2 mint leaves. grooooos. I would think the hotel takes more pride on their national drink (or what known around the world as cuban drink)

shops/bank
be prepared for queuing. they supposed to open at 9 o'clock but shops pretty much open when they feel it to open up. but as this is just a gift shop it doesn't cause big disruption in your holiday.
the bank is a bit more annoying, as normally they sit there from 8,30 but they don't open till 9 when you get a nice and long queue. maybe to open an hour earlier would help.

when you get in the shops, you have to be very firm to interrupt the staffs chats (I was giving the explanation that cause the phone is so expensive they catch up with each other in work but seriously??? )

general advise:
- take plenty tropical form mosquito killer although the hotel does everything to kill them you will need it
- chat with fellow tourists they can give you very good advises
- buy your presents/nicknacks in the hotel, as the choice in the airport is very poor but the rum costs the same on the airport and you can transport it in your hand luggage

and excursions ( we were provided with these tours on our holiday)

- vip lounge on your return flight (pointless waste of money - we didn't get it and went through check in faster than our friends they paid for it and we go on the flight before them too. the waiting room is nice and cool, and if you aren't planning to drink a bottle of rum upon your departure in money wise you are better off with the regular lounge too)
- Havana overnight + Tropicana bar (flight there coach back, or coach there and back)
- Havana overnight + canon shot (flight there coach back or coach there and back)
- Havana 1 day plane ( amazing, amazing, amazing. trip of my life, tourist guide Rusbal made an excellent job, I highly recommend it )
- jeep safari
- santa clara &remedios
- topes/trinidad overnight
- dolphin delight
- catamaran exclusive
- Cuban taste evening
- carnival evening
- walking nature trail

Room Tip: don't bother about the sea view room, you are so far from the sea anyway, that it doesn't ma...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Botsi-kiralylany
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Botsi-kiralyany:

Many thanks for let us know your opinion. Your help is very important in order of increase our services. We are so happy to see that you enjoyed some things about our resort, at the same time, it is so sad to see that in some aspect it was impossible to fulfill your expectations.

Receive apologizes concerning to we were unable to provide you an extra water in your mini bar, I believe it was a misunderstanding cause we usually can provide that service in our lobby bar. Every day, all rooms receive a bottle of water, two beers and two soft drinks, that is usually enough for our clients, but in some specific situations we can solve any special request.

I will take seriously into account your comments regarding with our staff attitude, much more because lobby bar and front desk are a priority to us.

south western ontario
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A group of five women vacationed at this resort May 10 - 17th. We flew Air Transat from Toronto and enjoyed some champagne and a little meal onboard. Once we landed at the Santa Clara airport, we were directed to our bus which transported us to the resort. The trip took about an hour and a half, but went fast as we enjoyed the small towns and rural areas we drove through. You could buy a Cristal on the bus for a toonie.
Once we arrived at the resort, check in went quite smoothly. They had a reception room ready with an envelope for each of us with our room key, bracelet, and a map of the resort. We were in building 37 - not the ocean view that we booked, but fine as it was right next to the quiet pool and a short walk to the beach. The rooms were big, clean, with a mini fridge that had beer, pop and water. The water in my room was replenished every day and was great to have as they don't recommend that you drink the tap water. Beer was replenished only as used. The TV in my room had HBO and Show time. Beds are hard but that seems to be a Cuban thing, as the other resorts I have been to also had hard beds.
The beach here is gorgeous - warm, turquoise water, clean sand beach. My only complaint is the other guests using this pristine sand beach as a giant ashtray. Come on people, how long do you think this beach is going to remain beautiful when you abuse it in this way. There are garbage receptacles all along the beach, please us them for your cigarette butts and drink containers!
The resort itself is very large, but well laid out with two sections, the adult and the family. We were in the adult section and it was pretty quiet. There are two buffets, and at least three snack bars where you can get breakfast and lunch and snacks throughout the day. The main buffet if very large, with lots of variety. There were line-ups for the freshly grilled food, but that's to be expected. Service was good, with or without tips.
We went to four different a la carte restaurants - Mexican, Romantica, Italian and Oriental. They were a nice change from the buffet, as they had table service. The food was pretty good but not amazing. You can buy an upgraded bottle of wine with your meal if you wish, but I found the house reds to be pretty good. I didn't like the house whites as much.
Every evening they had musicians in the front lobby, then a little later the house band played on the outdoor stage. We only went to one show in the theatre. The actors were lip synching so didn't merit a return visit in my opinion.
Service was good, although I must say the staff seemed to be overworked. They were civil, but not overly friendly, probably because they were exhausted from working long days. Some were more outgoing than others, and this was probably related to their ability to speak English.
The adult pool was very nice - quite large with lots of loungers to be had in the shade. The water was really warm and the pool always seemed sparking clean.
You have to travel a distance over the causeway to reach the Cayo, making excursions long distance. Rather than choose one of the canned excursions, we hired a taxi to take us to Trinidad. It's a beautiful city, well worth a visit. There are other excursions you can take, including a flight to Havana from the small airport on the Cayo.
There are no opportunities for snorkeling here, but if you walk up the beach about 20 minutes to the Sol, there are some rocks very close to shore where you will see lots of tropical fish. We found out that you can order drinks and food at the beach front snack bar at the Sol as well, so you can take a break after snorkeling before the walk back to Melia.
We got a great rate on this resort, probably because May is considered the low season. Even if I had paid more, I would consider it a good value and would recommend it to friends.
If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor for a more private balcony.
1 Thank cinderella50
Dear Cinderella 50:

Many thanks for your comments... we are so happy to read you and your frinds enjoyed our hotel, many thaks again to help us trying to keep the landscape and cleaning of our hotel, it is a very important aspect to us too, and it is true that some people do not have any idea about how important could be.

Many thaks again for give to our clients so nice and complete references about our services and the excursions our clients can buy here.

I will extend a congratulation to my staff following your comments.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I Arrived with my boyfriend at melia las dunas on Friday may 17 th. We flew with Cubana air, never again, worst service ever, and it doesn't help when the flight attendants look like they hate thier jobs. When we landed, we took a bus from the airport that took 1 hour 30 mins to get to cayo Santa Maria, they served crystal beer on the bus for 2 pesos, didnt mind the drive as you can see the life style of cuba. Once we arrived to the hotel my first impression was WOW what a beautiful hotel!!

CHECK IN- they basically gave us a map to find our building, carrying our luggages, trying to find our room in this huge resort, wasn't a good first impression.

ROOM- was basic, when we first arrive we saw a cockroach in front of the room, little lizards. Make sure when opening the door to close it fast when you get in because you don't want any bugs entering your room. We keeped a towel under the under the door at night.
The towels in the room were always dirty. We had to always write a note to the maid to change our towels all the time. The pillow cases had little red spots on them, the sheets also, I asked her to change it, no big deal. Besides that, we had no bugs in the room, we didn't open the balcony door all week either. Air conditioning worked well.
There was a little fridge In room that was refilled everyday, with water and pop, they even brought us champain bottles to the room witch was very nice!!!
One thing is that they are very very cheap on water bottles.

FOOD- we were overall surprised of the food, if you like seafood, I suggest to stick with the fish. The seafood restaurant was amazing. We had the lobster ..my boyfriend ordered a second plate, we tipped the waiter, we came back two days later and the waiter brought us double the lobster, was amazing. The Italian restorant was also good, again, my boyfriend ordered the fish and was really good, i ordered the pasta with bits of salmon was also good, the French restaurant was good as well.
The oriental was horrible, I didn't even eat my meal. They tell you that your only allowed 3 restaurant reservations a week. The guy gave us 4 and then when we tipped the waiter 10 dollars at the the seafood restaurant he let us come back with no reservation.
The buffet was average, the fish the was made in front of you was delicious!
Stick with the food they make fresh in front of you.
They had 24 hour snack bar, the food was average, wasn't that great. Make sure to bring some snacks with you.
BEACH- was paradise, crystal clear water,white sand, one of the most beautiful beach. We always got chairs, there were many chairs no matter what time of the day you went. There were huts in the shade also.
Not a far walk to the bar, they also grilled paninis that were amazing !!! I can't even tell you how Many paninis my boyfriend ate everyday!!
BAR- amazing service, they work really hard and long hours, drinks were amazing!!! And cappocinos were to die for!!
ENTERTAINMENT- there was a band everynight, shows, beach parties. One of the entertainers named WALLY was the only one with a smile on his face all the time, he enjoyed talking to everyone, very friendly, he always made everyone enjoy thier night when he was around. I gave him a dress, earrings, and a body spray to give to his girlfriend.
Bring clothes that you dont use, medication ..Motrin, advil, naproxin, shampoos, toiletries, to leave as gifts and tips, they appriciate anything.
They had models one night, they came up to me twice to ask me to sell them the top I was wearing.

Last but not least mosquitos, make sure to bring bug spray!!!!! My boyfriend got eaten alive, I can't tell you how may mosquitoe bites he has on his body.

Overall we had a great trip. We will probably return one day to las dunas!

-Stella-

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Stellina1313
Dear Stellina 1313:

First of all receive our greetings and satisfaction to read your comments. They will help us a lot increassing our services.

I want to thak you for let us know so many details of the offers our clients can enjuyed, I will take account of every single detail in order to improve all of them.

Only I want to clarify that some of the services we provide into the hotel are always according to the availability, so during the check in the biggest number of our boys were in charge of the luggage and it was impossible to go with you until the room, in theses cases you can wait a litle time and they will return and give you the service.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to repeat your visit.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I'm not one to complain about small things, and always frown upon people writing scathing reviews on here for insignificant details. This will likely be the first negative review I've ever written, but I feel it is warranted. The only good things I can say about this vacation spot was that the weather was great the week we went and the beach and water were clean. The hotel staff were at times outright rude, and incredibly slow! No bottled water, other than the one (and I mean one) they might leave in your room once a day. We left at least a 5 peso tip and little goodies in our room everyday and still did not receive clean towels, etc. The food was exactly as I was told it was before going, terrible. Same selections everyday at buffet, undercooked and overcooked meats and fishes, cold temperatures, and the a la cartes just as bad. The only good place to eat here is the pizzeria, which has hours that fluctuate with the moods of the servers. No snorkelling or anything to see in the water unless you pay for the overpriced catamaran excursion. Bus ride from airport is 1.5 hours minimum and there is nothing outside of a very small market anywhere near this resort. I have travelled a lot, to many exotic places and have eaten questionable foods, but have never gotten sick. Was sick on and off all week here, and in the end I was only eating rice and omelettes. The entire week can be summed up in two words "line ups". Very disappointing trip.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in either cabanas numbered 3 or 6. They are close to the pool and main lobby, and...
2 Thank ilove2travel77
Dear ilove2travel77:

First of all many thaks for give us your opinion, it will be a good help to us in order to improve our services...

We sorry so much to read your comments because it was impossible to fulfill your expectations... I will check every single detail of it because it is not usual to see this picture in our hotel, you can see it in so many others reviews.

Will be my pleasure to help you if you decide to give us another chance.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We were at the Melia Las Dunas from 23 to 30 April, 2013. We had a great time there. Weather was just perfect, beach, ocean - it is like a dream - clean and very-very warm. What else do you need for a good rest???)))

We liked everything -our room (5121), place, staff. Liked your food too. For that price, in our opinion, food was great.

We'd like to special mention our waiters - Lenier, Michel form buffet "Caibarien", and also Oscar from Sea Food Restaurant "Los Caribes". Also Eric from SunWing. They were all pleasant, helpful and professional. Special thank for such a good people on your board!!!!

We definitely will recommend your resort to our friends.

And we wish you,cubans, happiness, you live in this such a beautiful country.

Room Tip: corner suits are the best!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Oksana G:

This is a very good review, many thanks for let us know your opinion and to give us your support.

I will extend this information to all our staff, more to the people involved in your service.

Will be our pleasure to receive you again!!!