“Rocka Rocka time!!”

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Rocka Rocka time!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Well first time writing a review and also this was my first winter warm weather trip. I was here end of February 2013 - beginning of march 2013.

Previously before booking this trip I did a lot of research into the location and resort. i would like to thank everyone who wrote an insightful review on trip advisor, I'll try to provide one myself.

I loved this trip from the moment I stepped off the plane in Santa Clara, the bus ride was insightful and I enjoyed the brief history lesson along the way.

Food: was very good and plenty of options, you will not go hungry. My highlights where the Italian a la carte, pizza at the place by the family pool, ice cream parlour, paninis on the beach, the international buffet. Also enjoyed going to the beer gardens mid afternoon for a couple cold bottled beer(becks, corona and cristal) I preferred the cuban cristal.

Beach: stunning!! as for my first time at a warm destination the beach and water where everything like I imagined.

Service: Room was cleaned daily and towels where changed when we requested them. Bartenders at the lobby bar made some of the best drinks around and after supper it. was the place to be for a cuban coffee and to listen to some music and entertainment later on.

Some minor glitches upon arrival, our room wasn't ready when we arrived and had a mix up with the bell boys over the luggage. No big as deal as I had change of clothes in my carry on so we went down and had a drink and some lunch, when we where done all was sorted out.

In closing I would definitely go back to melia las Dunas as im now hooked on making a point on taking a vacation mid winter. I Just don't know when I'll be back in that part of Caribbean, so many places in the Caribbean to see! However I wish I was there at melia las Dunas listening to that salsa lesson song!!! Haha

Thanks for giving me a tremendous trip at a very good value!

• Stayed February 2013
9 Thank Macdm55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband & I just came back from a week's stay at Melia Las Dunas. Going through customs was a breeze & within half hour we were on our way. The ride was an hour & a half, well worth it. Our guide gave us a little bit of history as we went through little towns. Very poor & dirty. Check in was quick & within 20 min we had our luggage. The room was modest but clean, had trouble getting clean towels.The toilet leeked on the floor all week, we put a towel on the floor & a few times the maid hung them up, how gross is that!! The resort is huge so a lot of walking was required. We were in building 57. We weren't to far from the quiet pool or the path that went to the beach but the lobby, buffets & a la carte restaurants were far.The food was ok, you could always find something to eat. We went to the 3 a la carte The Mexian the Romantico & the sea food .The Romantico was our favorite. In all the restaurants & buffets the service was great. We enjoyed the evening shows, the singners were great & so were the dancers. During our stay the weather was cool I would even say cold in the morning & evening so we mostly stayed at the quiet pool witch was ok because we went there to relax. we went to the beach a few times but it was to windy,big waves, but the beach is absolutly beautiful.The drinks were great. We would never go back to this resort because my husband has a phobia of CATS so all week he was on pins & needles. They were even in the snack bars. Just to many of them, get rid of them!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lise700
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The beach is amazing and well maintained.

The resort grounds are clean.

The rooms are bright and modern and well kept by the staff.

Food was okay , but bland. Also , need to improve efficiency of the lines for grilled items. Cook should put more items on grill rather than taking each person's order individually . Also need to rearrange stations so pepole do not get jammed up.

We were required to check out at 5 am for an 11:30 am flight. No food was made available which is unacceptable.

It is sad how the government has ruined Cuba and impoverished its people , while at the same time destroying private initiative, which is going to hurt them . Even though mass tourism has been going on for well over 20 years now, there does not seem to have been much improvement in terms of the tourism infrastructure. Unfortunately , that may leave Cuba as somewhat of a bottom feeder in the hunt for tourism dollars, which would really be a shame as the country and people have much to offer.

My only other observation would be that there were mostly quebeckers at the resort , most of whom could not / would not speak English and for most part did not even try to speak Spanish to the staff.They were also very noisy.

3 Thank PierreHGrosLot
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had a huge coackroach ran over my face while I was sleeping, no towels at the pool for the whole week, freezing pool and hot tub, an employee trying to buy by husbands nike shoes, they wipe the tables at the buffet with USED PAPER TOWELS FROM PREVIOUS CUSTOMERS, constantly asking for tips, honestly, go somewhere else! The people at the front desk are not helpfull, send us to guest relation people who do their best with nothing, try to reserve a la carte restaurant, takes forever waiting in line,until their old computers runs down and you have to go back because the reservation did not work, it's a joke! For a Melia, I cannot believe it.

6 Thank Jo_lle_S155032
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Jo-lee:

Many thanks for let us know your opinion, but I will y disagree about some points of your review. Fortunately, there a lot of people who stay at the same time than you and can let us know a different reality.

I´m so sorry if we could not fulfill your expectations. We faced some lacks but we never were out of any product or supply for all week. The picture you are showing us of our hotel it is completely out of place.

Melia Las Dunas Hotel
Reviewed March 14, 2013

You must keep an opened mind when going to Cuba. It will not be the same as a 5 star hotel in Europe.

What I loved the most:

The 1 hour and a half ride from the Airport to the Resort was beautiful. We went through little towns, heard a little history and then took a long road surrounded by blue ocean before reaching our destination.
Check in took 10 minutes. The staff provided us with an envelope containing all the information that we need.
The beach is sandy white, 14km in length and the waters are turquoise blue and safe to swim in.
The food: I had low expectations going to Cuba but was pleasantly surprised. Once we tasted a bit of everything at the buffet, we could make great dishes. The chefs are fantastic.
The staff was warm, inviting and treated us like VIPs.
The activities on the resort: tennis, bowling, the gym, spa, basketball etc… So many things to do after the beach or on a cloudy day! We did not get bored.
The cocktails: the best Piña Colada and Miami Vice I have ever had!

What needs to be improved:
The towels: every towel that we received had rust trains on them. Everyone we met there had the same problem.
We were given a “superior” room but the tub was moldy and unpleasant.
Long lineups for eggs, pasta, meat and seafood at the buffet everyday.
Table cloths were always dirty. I think it is time to throw them and buy new sets.
We were given a warm cover that smelled moldy and looked dirty.

Bottom Line:
Safe place to go with family.
Beach is the highlight.
Lots of fun things to do during down time so you cannot get bored.

As a Gold Mas Reward Member, I would definitely give this resort another chance in the near future.

Aleksandra from Montreal

Room Tip: Tips: There is no clock in the room so make sure you bring your own Budget some tipping money for...
4 Thank Aleksandra C
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

So to start off I want to say like most people I researched and researched before booking my vacation. I want to say I have been to Mexico (Can Cun) two times once with family and a second time with friends. I have also travelled to Varedero Cuba a few years ago.
This vacation I wanted to be perfect as my boyfriend and I were celebrating our anniversary and he has never been away. We are both very open minded people and knew going to Cuba that the food may not be so great, and the standard of living would be completely different than us Canadians. We travelled March 1 – March 8

ARRIVAL in Santa Clara:
The arrival at the airport was very frustrating as we arrived late, we were the last two people standing around the belt looking for our checked baggage and then noticed that someone had taken out luggage off the belt and placed it by the door to the side. It was a relief knowing my baggage was there. Getting onto the bus to take us there was another ordeal as I was told people would have signs and that would be the bus you got on. Nope! No one with signs just loads of people trying to find what bus to get on. We found the line and got on the bus. It was late, we had a couple beers on the bus ($2.00) CAN  The bus ride seemed to go pretty fast it was about an hour and forty minutes. We received our room keys, wrist bands and map while on the bus.

ARRIVAL at Melia Las Dunas / ROOM:
Upon arrival to the hotel no one lets you take your baggage they say that someone will bring it to your room. So off we go into the lobby. I was aware the resort was big however I was unaware that no direction would be given to find our room in the dark. I asked several people working and no one had any idea as to what I was trying to ask them. Eventually people that were staying there helped us to find our room and told us everyone has the same problem upon arrival. (It is very hard to read a map in the dark).
Two weeks before our vacation I emailed the hotel directly requesting a top floor and king size bed. They emailed me back stating they have taken my request into consideration. Perfect! I was happy.
Finally found our room/villa. We were on the bottom floor. We open the door to see it and all we could smell was must the smell was so potent. I realized on day 2 that it was the air conditioner that was making the smell worse so we turned our air off the entire week. It was also the noise of the air was so loud. (BRING BOUNCE SHEETS TO PUT IN THE AIR CONDITIONER – WISH I WOULD HAVE) We walked around the hotel room and seen no other issues it looked pretty good and it was cleaned. We decided to suck it up and make the best of it as really we did not plan on being in the hotel a lot at all. So after one hour of waiting in the room for out baggage I called the front desk who said “on way, they have the whole hotel to deliver to” … well why couldn’t I have just taken it myself. I wanted to change my clothing and get a few things out of my suitcase before we left to go explore the lobby area. The baggage arrived about half hour after I called. So off we went to have some drinks and relax after a VERY long travel day.
The next morning, my boyfriend noticed a HUGE bug of some sort in his suitcase which he left unlocked on the floor of the room. I looked and it was a COCKROATCH. I was not impressed. I spoke to several people this day and it was about a 50/50 response of others who has the same issue in there room. My boyfriend and I decided that we would stay in the room and not complain as some other people had way worse situations and I didn’t want to be moved to something worse. Our conclusion was one more and to the front desk it was. Well we lucked out and trust me I examined that room top to bottom bed pulled out and all and hadn’t seen anymore. Well I spoke to soon on day 6 returning to our room at night was a ordeal and a half. Not only was this COCKROATCH the size of a mouse there were more than 3 this evening. I recognize I am away on a vacation in a 3rd world country however I am staying at 4.5 Star Resort and this is completely unacceptable to me. It was 2am and I was on my way to the front desk to talk about my options as I was terrified. Yes my boyfriend killed them however I was not going to be able to sleep. At the front desk the man stated that the resort was full and he had nowhere to move me and this is a common thing as we are on an island. I told him I understand however I cannot sleep in that room not knowing what is crawling on me. He said he would deal with the situation and to meet someone at the room in 10min. So back we went to the room. At this time he sent a maid to pick up the dead cockroaches and spray a pesticide. She sprayed and then said don’t go back into your room until it airs out 15-20mins. The smell was so bad. I called the front desk again and still the man told me he was unable to change my room. Well no sleep for me this night as I refused to sleep in pesticides and cockroaches. The next day the front desk stated that they may be able to change our room in the afternoon; well at this point I have not slept and see no point in changing my room (packing it all up to pack it all up again the next morning as we were leaving). I went to speak to the travel agent who stated that he would have the maids spray again. I said sure as long as we are out of the room when it’s done. Upon returning to the room this day there were tons of baby roaches all over the floor dead from the pesticide. Our maid never cleaned our floors however did always make our bed and sometimes cleaned the washroom. We always had toilet paper however it’s very rough so you may want to bring some. Our bedding had many stains on it which looked to be rust stains or dried blood marks. I did check for bedbugs and did not see anything. The bed was a little stiff but like I said we barley slept as I was terrified of the roaches. Our towels were not changes and if they were on the floor the maid would just re-hang them up. We brought our own towels so it wasn’t too big of a deal. We were in building 47. We had a few lizards in our room and my boyfriend got them out. Maybe I should have left them and they would have eaten the other critters.
The Weather:
Nothing the hotel can do about this but I feel It’s important when planning a trip. We did not have the greatest weather, our first day was a tropical storm and it rained ALL day. The rest of the week was cloudy and sunny and cool. A lot of people covered up under towels. The nights were very chilly so bring a couple long sleeve shirts.

FOOD and Service:
The food was good. A better resorts for food. We never had a problem finding something to eat. We always seemed to make breakfast and dinner buffet before the HUGE line-up. We always got to breakfast before 8am and to dinner after 8pm as right at 7pm when it opens there is a huge rush and long line. We had the same server all week for breakfast and really want to thank him for making our morning more pleasant. It was so nice to talk with him. THANKS ALFRADO. The a-la-carts were good as well; we found them better than the buffet. We ate at the Italian, Mexican. Excellent Service! We also ate at the Romantico however did not really enjoy this one and ate after we left somewhere else. That’s the best part about all-inclusive if you don’t like it go get something else. The one complaint I do have is the food always ran out way too fast and it was never replenished. Also, not enough fruit and vegetables. For an Island I would think fruit would be a main food and it was not. I brought ketchup and salad dressings with me and I am glad I did. This is not something you will find. Also no butter the week we were there. Yes, by the end of the week it is very repetitive and we were excited to get home and eat.

The Beach and Pools:
Nicest Beach I have ever seen!!!! White Sand, Crystal clear water and the colours are amazing. Loved it! It was unfortunate that the weather was not very co-operative and had to spend more time at the pool. Ok so I requested the adult side, wish I would have requested the family said and this is why. The adult side pool is very clean and pretty with a swim up bar however it feels like an old age home as everyone is reading, no one is talking and there is absolutely no entertainment or even music. However you could ALWAYS find a chair. We are not rowdy people however we wanted a little entertainment. We walked over to the family pool every day that we did not go to the beach. The family pool is clean, and has music along with entertainment and you feel like you are away. The only problem with the family side is you will never find a chair after 9am. This is really annoying its either eat breakfast or get a chair. Pick one!!!

Lobby Bar:
There are two 24hr bars and so yes they get crowed however for some reason my boyfriend and I never had a problem finding a seat at the bar or a table. We went every night to the lobby and had a great time. I can honestly say the staff were 100% amazing to us. I feel bad for the people who did not get the same service we received. I have zero complains about the lobby area. I would like to say that if it were not for meeting PAVEL and RADDEL our experience would not have been the same. We miss them already. They both work so hard and do the best they can with the amount of people. They are truly appreciated.
Also, FRANCISCO who cleaned the water around the lobby areas. He does an amazing job and should be appreciated for cleaning up the hotel and making it beautiful.
Would we return – NO

Room Tip: I really dont think it matters as I spoke to people on top floor and bottom at this resort and both...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer L
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Jennifer L:

I want to thank you for take your time and let us know your opinion. Unfortunately, I´m seeing that your stay was not all you expected, I´m very sorry about that.

I will investigate every single point concerning to your review, because it is not common to see this cases in our resort although this area is a virgin place.

Concerning to the check in and accommodation, I’m sorry so much if we could not fulfill your expectations. We are always working hard to please the entire requests but sometimes that can be difficult, more if we are in high season.

I will extend your greetings to all people you mentioned in your review. Do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to come back. Will be my pleasure to help you with all you may need.

Melia Las Dunas Hotel
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just got back being there from the 2nd march until the 9th,room 5116.

Rooms OK but only two towels stained and rarely changed.No booze or water in the fridge when we arrived. Shower was broken and moldy,ground floor patio was unusable because of brush cut down which was left all around the buildings for the time we were there,no lizards but lots of cats !
A la carte restaurants were great,buffet was good but no butter at all for the week. Beach was great but no toilets, it’s a long walk to get to one. Overall had a good time staff were great but never 4 or above stars . We did have a good time but would come back.

Room Tip: Do not go for the ground floor facing the beach as you are looking at jungle and cut down jungle.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LesButler
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Les:

First of all I want to thank you for take your time and let us know your opinion here in trip Advisor. It is difficult to say but in this destiny we can face some little issues concerning to our suppliers that can erase all the good aptitude of our staff.

In this specific case, I want to apologize because we could not fulfill your expectations due to this situation. Anyway, we are working hard to fix these problems and now we are in better conditions to increase the offer to our clients.

If you decide to give us another chance, will be my pleasure to arrange everything in order to form you a better opinion.

Melia Las Dunas