“Wonderful people and fantastic beach”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful people and fantastic beach”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just returned from Melia Las Dunas (15 Feb to 23 Feb 2013). My children 9 and 5 had a blast! The beach is one of the best I've seen, clear blue water with white sand like flour.

The resort is large and there is always a walk involved but after a big meal, the walk is lovely and needed. The pools are well maintained and you can usually find a chair. Some people shouldn't leave there things on the chair all day while they go for lunch and other activities but you will get that type of person anywhere. There were fresh pool towels everyday but often ran out late in the afternoon. The "family" pool was fun, music, dance lessons, etc. The "relaxing" pool was so quiet, no music, everyone just lying there, not even using the pool. When you talked quietly you felt like you were disturbing everyone. I received many dirty looks when my kids and I went there to see what it was like.

The staff is also fabulous. They were great wth the kids and welcomed questions about their culture and country. Our room was kept very clean and the "towel art" was a huge hit with the kids. The gardeners were always busy and offered fresh cut coconuts to drink from.

The lobby bar does get busy during the peak times but what place doesn't? The staff were tried their best to serve everyone quickly but sometimes it's slower.

The buffet was good, lots of selections. Fresh fruits and vegetables are a little scarce but we knew that going in. The beer gardens and seafood restaurants have FABULOUS food and we ate there often. The a la carte restaurants were ok, not much on the menu and small portions, but a nice change to break up the routine.

The activities offered were all well run. The Tai Chi instructor was amazing and I wish I had more time to talk with him. He was very informative and was one of those people that you just wanted sit and talk with. (I'm sorry I didn't get his name).

My kids loved everything, from the beach to the towel art. No worries about food, they loved everything. We didn't use the kids club because there was always something to keep them busy.

I can't wait to go to Cuba again. We would try a different resort, NOT because we didn't like Las Dunas, just for variety. We would recommend Las Dunas to other families.

thank you!

Room Tip: We were in Building 20, room 22. 2nd floor. We asked for close to beach and pool and that is what w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Kathy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great hotel, my first visit to Cuba to shoot a wedding and heard nothing but bad stuff about Cuba in general before I left, how wrong were everyone!

Yes its not 5 star compared to Dom Rep or Jamaica but Cuba is a communist country so 5 star here is really 2 to 3 star elsewhere.

But that said the food was awesome, almost everything you eat will be made or grown in Cuba, so this is how food should taste without all the stuff we have pumped into our North American food. I am highly lactose here in Canada, there I could eat pizza, ice cream and even other milk products.

Its a quiet hotel, not the place to go if your looking for a party, but I was there to shoot a wedding and it was a great hotel.

Room Tip: They are all pretty much the same, this is a big resort so you will do a lot of walking
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank one2onephotography
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just come back from Melia Las Dunas and definitively the resort is not a 4.5 stars as is advertised! We specifically asked for a renovated room (by e-mail sent one month prior to the arrival) and instead got an old and outdated room with unpleasant smell from bathroom, all plumbing fixtures plugged (sink, bathtub, bidee) the A/C on high sped only and very noisy, all towels stained! What a first impression for some "Cuban" veterans as we have traveled at least 5-7 times each of us there in the past most of the times staying in Sol Club and never experienced such conditions. We went to the "Customer Service" as the only ones dealing with such situations. It was a NO "brutally" spelled by the "lady" in charge there, with no chance to get any changed room! As it seems that other tourists get an upgraded room (extra fees), but we did not get that offer! However to stop the BS of the "lady" I have just let her know that we have been in Cuba a couple of times and at this time was by far the worst! At that moment, at least she has agreed to send somebody to fix the technicals problems of the room, minus the smell, stained towels, etc. Finally a crew of technicians were coming and fixed the A/C ( to a much decent noise) and the fixtures, except the bathtub which never was able to remove the water without a plug time!
Beach towels were all stained (some of them pretty nasty) and we never had clean towels in the room (even changed daily) without stains. You can see everywhere (including gardens) that the most important for the management is to fill at full the resort, instead of concentrating in quality which will qualify this for a "advertised" 4.5 stars.
But, luckily not all the things in the resort are in bad conditions, and there are some positives to be mentioned:
- staff mainly is hard working and professional (except "lady" to customer service and reception which is constantly sending you to CS not taking any responsibility!)
- special thanks to the room maid, all the waiters and staff in the restaurants, also all in the bars and associates.
- "animation" staff pretty good and there is activities all the day, at the pools and on the beach.
The Beach seems to be the prettiest and the largest in the area with a lots of beach chairs which however are not enough! This is a large resort and was probably almost at full capacity (over 900 rooms). Ocean water was clean, but there is a constant breeze (sometimes too windy) which at this time of,year can be a little uncomfortable.
The food is OK, but not great as you will,expect into a 4.5 stars resort! I was expecting more local fresh fish products, but it seems that most of it was from cans or frozen! But in all the fairness you don't suffer of hunger!
Overall was a relaxing vacation, but unfortunately somehow deceived by some of the service (especially room conditions) and the "rudeness" of the customer service and reception (on the last day I have "begged" one lady at the reception to give us permission to stay until 6pm on the room, of course paying for that "favour" the requested $7 per hour, but the brutal manager has "barked" to her that is allowed only until 4pm).
It does not cost you to be nice to the people and even a NO can be said into a pleasant way! Not the case there!
I am guessing that me and my family will do a long time pass on Cuba and travel south in Mexico or DR, where for the same money range you can get a true 4.5 star resort!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cracanel
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just returned from Melia Las Dunas, very pretty resort, most beautiful lobby and great bar and atmosphere you will ever see.

The chambermaid made you feel like you were part of her family and the grounds workers were so happy to take some time to talk to you on a daily basis and make grasshoppers and fish out of palm tree leaves for you.

The snack bars by far had the best food as well as the beach with the panini sandwiches and the hamburgers to die for.
The buffets and a la cartes were mediocre but still edible.

My only complaint would be with such a huge facility you would think that they would have more bars pool side or have staff serving you drinks poolside, it is very inconvenient having to get up and getting drinks every hour or so. I have never been to a resort where they were not serving poolside, maybe that is something they could improve on.

Otherwise, beautiful place, good food, great company, and the best sleep I have had anywhere and we were on the 1st floor of our building on the family side, so no complaints there.

Room Tip: I didn't really have a problem with our room, we were in building 1 and it was in the perfect lo...
2 Thank Trisha C
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Melia Las Dunas February 16-24. It's a big complex which is not good if you are older and have problems with walking. They have a service that can pick up and take you back to your building. they have 5 tennis courts shared with the Sta,. Maria hotel. The pro in the tennis court is Giovanni, very nice guy and he is good.
The beaches are so blue and clean. The lady who cleans our room always do a good job.
There are a lot of choices in the buffet section, Long line up if you want to have grilled chicken , pork or beef. Long line up also in the the seafood grill, Long line up in the pasta section although you have about 4 choices of pasta that's already done. Not too many choices in fruits, papaya, honeydew, guava, one night they have passion fruit, pineapple and they put canned fruit cocktail, peaches, dried figs and dates. A lot of choices on good cheeses. Not too many choices in vegetable only peas, carrots,potatoes, Squash eggplant. Long Line up if you want Sushi, they can make the Sushi ahead of time, but for some reason they prefer you line up. For salads they have lettuce(1 kind), beets, carrots ,cabbage, tomatoes, potato salad, just enough. Bread is good and many choices but no butter. Dessert table is good although I have seen other places with more selections.Too many line ups in there buffet specially on Tuesday night, the line up at around 7:30 PM was so long. (They were full capacity from what I hear because of the reading week). We were in the line up for over half an hour. The drinks are good except for the coffe at breakfast time, it is always cold and taste is terrible. You have to go to the main lobby bar to get good coffe. I did not try any of the a la carte restaurant. I heard it's not good. Going home we were lucky , there was no delay on the flight, but very long line up on check and very slow. The drive to an from the hotel is about 1 1/2 hours. It is a good drive during the day, the scenery is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to their main building. Everything is accessible from the main building. Espe...
1 Thank Adoracion T
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just got back from a week in Santa Maria Feb 17-24 at the Melia Las Dunas. Great place to relax and enjoy being in the sun. Beach is amazing!!!!!! The upgraded VIP room was really nice - King sized bed. The pools were clean. Staff were great! We had a problem with our lock and it was fixed very promptly. The only thing they could do to make it a better experience was to provide you with better directions to get to your room, especially when arriving at night. Campgrounds do an excellent job of this and we were just handed our map and our room keys and sent on our way. Just do the "you are here- follow this red line to find your room" kinda thing. We ended up helping new arrivals find their rooms one night. The entertainment in the center court area was awesome. Great Trip!

2 Thank Shauna R
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Dunas (Feb 24th), we returned because of our great experience last year. Lets start with the flight to Cuba- overall no complaints there. Arrived and moved through customs with ease, got a few cold ones and on the bus. Very nice drive to the resort, check in went nice and fast. Got to our room and can only describe the smell as Dank musty, luckily the air conditioner was awesome and after 2 or 3 hours the smell was gone. Next was the maid service, this was almost non existent she showed up at the door the first day with a new girl to introduce to us as our new maid (no cleaning was needed the first day as we had arrived only 2 hours ago. Second day.. no maid service at all, morning of the third day we spoke to the maid and asked her to clean the room. We came back at the end of the day and .... you got it no beds made or cleaning done. After a few word to the front desk.. room was cleaned on the 4th day. Day 5 room was tidied up, bed sheets were not changed over our 7 day stay. Day 6 entire room done but no bath towels put in the room. There were also some very suspicious stains on the balcony that appeared t look like blood on the corner post wall and ceiling but we can't be 100% sure (creeped out my wife).

As for the staff, they were average, service was slow even if you tipped ( we tipped with every drink order and every meal/snack and our service was no better than the people who almost never tipped. Gave out about 6 or 7 gift packs to mainly the grounds keeping staff... since they seemed to be the only ones actually trying to do a good job... most of the staff seem to a good but not a great job. Food was acceptable for the most part ( almost no variation), Only had butter for breakfast and not even that for 3 days.

Overall I would have to say this was our worst vacation to date, previous resorts in cuba and mexico were far and above a better experience. We will NEVER return to the Melia Los Dunas after this trip. We paid for a 4.5 star and got a 2.5 to 3.0 star at best. We talked to multiple people staying the same week as us that had a similarly unpleasant experience and are not planning on returning. Our recommendation, stay somewhere else even if you have to spend a few extra $$. We also flew with Sunwing but that is an entirely other discussion ( thank you for double booking my wifes seat and not seating us together for our return flight... real classy Sunwing). Next year it's Mexico or cruising for sure.

Room Tip: Upper floor should be a requirement.
8 Thank Tarbish
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Tarbish:
First of all I want to thank you to take your time letting us your opinion. We will use all the information here in order to check every single point and improve our services.

Unfortunately, during your stay we faced some problems concerning our supplies and maybe you faced some specific situation that we could not solve during your stay. I´m happy to see your experience it is not the same that a big number of clients who received our services, but I’m very sorry to read your review.

Concerning to the service we provide, let me point out Las Dunas still like a reference in the entire destiny and service is one of our best points in every report we receive from our clients, so I kindly disagree with your comments.

Even when I’ seeing it is not in your plan to come back, will be my pleasure to receive you again if you want to give us another chance to show you a different face.

Best regards,