“Great hotel for a wedding”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Kitchener, Canada
“Great hotel for a wedding”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great hotel, my first visit to Cuba to shoot a wedding and heard nothing but bad stuff about Cuba in general before I left, how wrong were everyone!

Yes its not 5 star compared to Dom Rep or Jamaica but Cuba is a communist country so 5 star here is really 2 to 3 star elsewhere.

But that said the food was awesome, almost everything you eat will be made or grown in Cuba, so this is how food should taste without all the stuff we have pumped into our North American food. I am highly lactose here in Canada, there I could eat pizza, ice cream and even other milk products.

Its a quiet hotel, not the place to go if your looking for a party, but I was there to shoot a wedding and it was a great hotel.

Room Tip: They are all pretty much the same, this is a big resort so you will do a lot of walking
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank one2onephotography

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just come back from Melia Las Dunas and definitively the resort is not a 4.5 stars as is advertised! We specifically asked for a renovated room (by e-mail sent one month prior to the arrival) and instead got an old and outdated room with unpleasant smell from bathroom, all plumbing fixtures plugged (sink, bathtub, bidee) the A/C on high sped only and very noisy, all towels stained! What a first impression for some "Cuban" veterans as we have traveled at least 5-7 times each of us there in the past most of the times staying in Sol Club and never experienced such conditions. We went to the "Customer Service" as the only ones dealing with such situations. It was a NO "brutally" spelled by the "lady" in charge there, with no chance to get any changed room! As it seems that other tourists get an upgraded room (extra fees), but we did not get that offer! However to stop the BS of the "lady" I have just let her know that we have been in Cuba a couple of times and at this time was by far the worst! At that moment, at least she has agreed to send somebody to fix the technicals problems of the room, minus the smell, stained towels, etc. Finally a crew of technicians were coming and fixed the A/C ( to a much decent noise) and the fixtures, except the bathtub which never was able to remove the water without a plug time!
Beach towels were all stained (some of them pretty nasty) and we never had clean towels in the room (even changed daily) without stains. You can see everywhere (including gardens) that the most important for the management is to fill at full the resort, instead of concentrating in quality which will qualify this for a "advertised" 4.5 stars.
But, luckily not all the things in the resort are in bad conditions, and there are some positives to be mentioned:
- staff mainly is hard working and professional (except "lady" to customer service and reception which is constantly sending you to CS not taking any responsibility!)
- special thanks to the room maid, all the waiters and staff in the restaurants, also all in the bars and associates.
- "animation" staff pretty good and there is activities all the day, at the pools and on the beach.
The Beach seems to be the prettiest and the largest in the area with a lots of beach chairs which however are not enough! This is a large resort and was probably almost at full capacity (over 900 rooms). Ocean water was clean, but there is a constant breeze (sometimes too windy) which at this time of,year can be a little uncomfortable.
The food is OK, but not great as you will,expect into a 4.5 stars resort! I was expecting more local fresh fish products, but it seems that most of it was from cans or frozen! But in all the fairness you don't suffer of hunger!
Overall was a relaxing vacation, but unfortunately somehow deceived by some of the service (especially room conditions) and the "rudeness" of the customer service and reception (on the last day I have "begged" one lady at the reception to give us permission to stay until 6pm on the room, of course paying for that "favour" the requested $7 per hour, but the brutal manager has "barked" to her that is allowed only until 4pm).
It does not cost you to be nice to the people and even a NO can be said into a pleasant way! Not the case there!
I am guessing that me and my family will do a long time pass on Cuba and travel south in Mexico or DR, where for the same money range you can get a true 4.5 star resort!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cracanel
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just returned from Melia Las Dunas, very pretty resort, most beautiful lobby and great bar and atmosphere you will ever see.

The chambermaid made you feel like you were part of her family and the grounds workers were so happy to take some time to talk to you on a daily basis and make grasshoppers and fish out of palm tree leaves for you.

The snack bars by far had the best food as well as the beach with the panini sandwiches and the hamburgers to die for.
The buffets and a la cartes were mediocre but still edible.

My only complaint would be with such a huge facility you would think that they would have more bars pool side or have staff serving you drinks poolside, it is very inconvenient having to get up and getting drinks every hour or so. I have never been to a resort where they were not serving poolside, maybe that is something they could improve on.

Otherwise, beautiful place, good food, great company, and the best sleep I have had anywhere and we were on the 1st floor of our building on the family side, so no complaints there.

Room Tip: I didn't really have a problem with our room, we were in building 1 and it was in the perfect lo...
2 Thank Trisha C
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Melia Las Dunas February 16-24. It's a big complex which is not good if you are older and have problems with walking. They have a service that can pick up and take you back to your building. they have 5 tennis courts shared with the Sta,. Maria hotel. The pro in the tennis court is Giovanni, very nice guy and he is good.
The beaches are so blue and clean. The lady who cleans our room always do a good job.
There are a lot of choices in the buffet section, Long line up if you want to have grilled chicken , pork or beef. Long line up also in the the seafood grill, Long line up in the pasta section although you have about 4 choices of pasta that's already done. Not too many choices in fruits, papaya, honeydew, guava, one night they have passion fruit, pineapple and they put canned fruit cocktail, peaches, dried figs and dates. A lot of choices on good cheeses. Not too many choices in vegetable only peas, carrots,potatoes, Squash eggplant. Long Line up if you want Sushi, they can make the Sushi ahead of time, but for some reason they prefer you line up. For salads they have lettuce(1 kind), beets, carrots ,cabbage, tomatoes, potato salad, just enough. Bread is good and many choices but no butter. Dessert table is good although I have seen other places with more selections.Too many line ups in there buffet specially on Tuesday night, the line up at around 7:30 PM was so long. (They were full capacity from what I hear because of the reading week). We were in the line up for over half an hour. The drinks are good except for the coffe at breakfast time, it is always cold and taste is terrible. You have to go to the main lobby bar to get good coffe. I did not try any of the a la carte restaurant. I heard it's not good. Going home we were lucky , there was no delay on the flight, but very long line up on check and very slow. The drive to an from the hotel is about 1 1/2 hours. It is a good drive during the day, the scenery is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to their main building. Everything is accessible from the main building. Espe...
1 Thank Adoracion T
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just got back from a week in Santa Maria Feb 17-24 at the Melia Las Dunas. Great place to relax and enjoy being in the sun. Beach is amazing!!!!!! The upgraded VIP room was really nice - King sized bed. The pools were clean. Staff were great! We had a problem with our lock and it was fixed very promptly. The only thing they could do to make it a better experience was to provide you with better directions to get to your room, especially when arriving at night. Campgrounds do an excellent job of this and we were just handed our map and our room keys and sent on our way. Just do the "you are here- follow this red line to find your room" kinda thing. We ended up helping new arrivals find their rooms one night. The entertainment in the center court area was awesome. Great Trip!

2 Thank Shauna R
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Dunas (Feb 24th), we returned because of our great experience last year. Lets start with the flight to Cuba- overall no complaints there. Arrived and moved through customs with ease, got a few cold ones and on the bus. Very nice drive to the resort, check in went nice and fast. Got to our room and can only describe the smell as Dank musty, luckily the air conditioner was awesome and after 2 or 3 hours the smell was gone. Next was the maid service, this was almost non existent she showed up at the door the first day with a new girl to introduce to us as our new maid (no cleaning was needed the first day as we had arrived only 2 hours ago. Second day.. no maid service at all, morning of the third day we spoke to the maid and asked her to clean the room. We came back at the end of the day and .... you got it no beds made or cleaning done. After a few word to the front desk.. room was cleaned on the 4th day. Day 5 room was tidied up, bed sheets were not changed over our 7 day stay. Day 6 entire room done but no bath towels put in the room. There were also some very suspicious stains on the balcony that appeared t look like blood on the corner post wall and ceiling but we can't be 100% sure (creeped out my wife).

As for the staff, they were average, service was slow even if you tipped ( we tipped with every drink order and every meal/snack and our service was no better than the people who almost never tipped. Gave out about 6 or 7 gift packs to mainly the grounds keeping staff... since they seemed to be the only ones actually trying to do a good job... most of the staff seem to a good but not a great job. Food was acceptable for the most part ( almost no variation), Only had butter for breakfast and not even that for 3 days.

Overall I would have to say this was our worst vacation to date, previous resorts in cuba and mexico were far and above a better experience. We will NEVER return to the Melia Los Dunas after this trip. We paid for a 4.5 star and got a 2.5 to 3.0 star at best. We talked to multiple people staying the same week as us that had a similarly unpleasant experience and are not planning on returning. Our recommendation, stay somewhere else even if you have to spend a few extra $$. We also flew with Sunwing but that is an entirely other discussion ( thank you for double booking my wifes seat and not seating us together for our return flight... real classy Sunwing). Next year it's Mexico or cruising for sure.

Room Tip: Upper floor should be a requirement.
8 Thank Tarbish
Alberto J, Director General at Melia Las Dunas, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Tarbish:
First of all I want to thank you to take your time letting us your opinion. We will use all the information here in order to check every single point and improve our services.

Unfortunately, during your stay we faced some problems concerning our supplies and maybe you faced some specific situation that we could not solve during your stay. I´m happy to see your experience it is not the same that a big number of clients who received our services, but I’m very sorry to read your review.

Concerning to the service we provide, let me point out Las Dunas still like a reference in the entire destiny and service is one of our best points in every report we receive from our clients, so I kindly disagree with your comments.

Even when I’ seeing it is not in your plan to come back, will be my pleasure to receive you again if you want to give us another chance to show you a different face.

Best regards,

Alberto Jerez

Melia las Dunas
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My friend and I returned last week from a relaxing week at Melia Las Dunas. We travelled from Halifax with Cubana (Holasun) from Feb. 11-18. This was my second visit to this resort, and the first time I've gone to the same place twice. We were not disappointed.

The flight with Cubana was on time and uneventful. They do not have any entertainment, but we knew this and packed our books and magazines in our carry on. The food was a stale ham and cheese sandwich and juice.

Last April I travelled there for a wedding with my 3 children and stayed on the family side. We were given a large ground floor room with 2 cots and a king size bed. My children were aged 5, 12, and 16 at the time and always found something to eat either at the buffet or any of the 3 a la cartes that we visited. The activity pool was always busy, but not rowdy. I found the other guests to be mindful with language and behavior when the little ones were present.

This year I travelled with a friend who hadn't been to Cuba in 7 years. She was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and the beautiful beach. We requested a second floor room on the adult side and the resort was able to accomodate us. Being a returning guest, we also had our a la cartes pre-booked for the week and a bottle of rum in the room on our arrival.

The buffet does offer the same basic things every day, such as chicken, rice, pasta and fish, but if you are there for 7 days you would rarely need to eat the same thing twice! We chose to sit in Yaneisy's section whenever we ate at the buffet. She is very attentive, and by the second day she would have our drinks poured just the way we liked them as we went to get our omlets.

One thing we didn't bring that we wished we had were plastic containers that we could have used to bring fruit to the beach after breakfast.

We planned this trip for total relaxation, and mostly accomplished this. Our only minor issue was with some of the other guests. I don't have a problem with people carrying on and enjoying their vacations, it's the ones who act superior to the staff and need to loudly express their opinions that get under my skin. If I am enjoying my holiday, I don't appreciate someone trying to convince me otherwise. If the maid is late cleaning the room and you don't have a towel, use your beach towel. If there is a bug in your room, kill it or throw it out the door just as you would do at home. I realize this isn't always the case. We just happened to be there the same week as some hard to please people who seemed to follow us wherever we were!

I will return to this resort again, and if I am alone or with my children I will be requesting the family side of the resort. I think I would rather listen to happy children (or even unhappy ones) than grumbling adults. The staff, the beach, the beautiful grounds and the quiet location make this my favorite place to vacation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Capers
Dear Capers:

Many thanks!!!

I´m very impressed to read your comments regarding our services… Seams that any have change from your last stay.

We are always trying to provide the best possible treatment to our guest, even if we do not have all the information concerning to their request into the reservation. Can happen that in we are not aware they have a request can be a little difficult to solve it if we do have short availability. Thank god Las Dunas is a very popular hotel and we do have excellent numbers but at the same time that can be a problem if you are facing a specific situation with full occupancy.

In this case, we do receive the information and was possible to give you one special vip package taking into account it was your second visit. I´m sure our customer service was in charge of it before and during your stay.

I´m waiting your next visit, be sure to let us know and will be me pleasure to receive you and meet you in person.

Best regards,