“Thanks MLD.. we'll be back!!”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Ottawa, Canada
“Thanks MLD.. we'll be back!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary at Melia Las Dunas from June 23 to June 30, 2012. During our stay we were already contemplating the review we would write and advice we would give to anyone thinking of staying at the MLD. Overall we rated this resort as very good and we would consider staying at this resort in the future.

Our Caribbean travel experience includes Cuba, Mayan Riviera, Bahamas, and Dominican Republic. This was our 4th trip to Cuba over the last 15 years. We typically stay at All-Inclusive resorts, 4 star or better (in Cuba in particular).

Melia Las Dunas is located on a small island off the coast about an hour and half from the airport. There is a 49 km causeway as well as some travel through little towns along the way that made the trip a little more digestible. We arrived in the evening so there wasn't much to see but the return trip in the afternoon gave us an interesting glimpse into a part of Cuba that we had never seen.

During our bus transfer to the resort we received a package that contained our resort bracelets, excursion information, and room keys. Every tour provider is different and this may have only been available through Air Canada Vacations but it was a nice touch that was welcomed at the end of a long travel day.. we simply got off the bus and headed to our room. A welcome cocktail (champagne, wine or bottled Coronas) was only a few steps off the bus in the main lobby.. also a nice touch.

I have to agree with a few of the criticisms from the reviews we read before deciding to spend our hard-earned dollars at Melia; the food takes a little getting used to and the rooms are humid and a little on the musty side.

That said, with respect to the food, if you have been to a few resorts in Cuba (including 5 star resorts) you know that its not necessarily the particular resort, or the hotel chain, or the staff's lack of trying. I don't want to discourage anyone from visiting this or any resort in Cuba. The truth is.. they do the best they can with what they have to work with. They are cooking for the masses and so things tend to be a little over-cooked for safe measure and maybe a little bland side in some cases. I am pretty picky about food anywhere I go but I should point out that my wife described the food at the Melia as "the best we've had at any resort in Cuba". Skip the Mexican restaurant. The Romantico was pretty good and Italian wasn't bad.

We requested a quite room on the second floor through our tour provider and they came through. Our room was in block 37 which was close to the Adult pool (or relaxation pool as they referred to it). If you're travelling without kids I would recommend asking for this side of the resort.

The beach (as most of the reviews suggest) is incredible. It definitely tops any of the 3 resorts we stayed at in Varadero which is known for having the nicest and longest white sand beaches in Cuba. There are two beach bars close to the many palapas as well as a beach grill for grilled sandwhiches and such (we didn't use this one so I can't comment but it seemed really popular).

The staff are very friendly and helpful. We never came across a staff member that didn't have reasonable command of English.. many of them actually were quite proficient in French as well. They never appeared to do anything with the expectation of a tip but you knew it was appreciated. I will say that some heavy tipping at the lobby bar seemed to get snappy service for some of the regulars.

Here's where the negative, critical stuff comes in..

As I eluded to at the start of the review, we had a few challenges with the room. When we first set foot in the room it was humid and musty. We assumed that it may have been vacant with the A/C off for a few days before. We weren't too concerned as we thought we could blast the humidity out by cranking the A/C. The room never did quite get as cold and the musty smell never did fully go away as we had hoped but it was comfortable. After a couple days we just let it go and put the focus on enjoying the beach and the Mojitos. We read about similar problems at a very high-end resort in Jamaica that we visited last fall. We took the reviewers advice and brought a little Febreeze.

The king-size bed we had was really bad; very thin and full of springs. So much so that neither of us slept very much the first (even with a few rum 'whatevers' in us). We called to report that although we were pretty happy with the location (quiet, close to everything), the bed was horrible. When we got back from the beach later that afternoon they had added a foam topper and for whatever reason that seemed to do the trick. Again, with only 7 days to squeeze the most out of our vacation, a few problems with the room gave way to the awesome beach and the rum 'whatevers'.

We considered the Melia and the Hotel Gaviota (adjacent to Melia). The Gaviota is brand new and very modern. I was honestly leaning toward the Gaviota initially but my wife tipped the scales in favor of the Melia and I'm glad she did. The landscaping at the Melia is established and lush whereas the Gaviota has a few sparse and tiny palms and not much else. There are plenty of huge palapas at the Melia and we really couldn't see any a few yards away at the Gaviota. Also, there was some mention in other reviews that the A La Cartes were closed at Gaviota as recently as June due to low guest capacity.. not so at Melia.

Cuba is an amazing place with beautiful beaches and fascinating history and culture. Overall there are far more positives than negatives and I would recommend the Melia to those whose expectations are in check.

3 Thank Aaron N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Waterloo, Canada

Hotel:
It is a really big hotel; I think they have like 1000 rooms. It is divided into two sections; to the right is the adult section, and to the left is the family section. If you do not have children and/or you do not want to be surrounded by many children, choose the adult section. Be prepared for long walks between your room, restaurants, beach, etc. Also, be prepared for many people around you wherever you go. There is very nice vegetation around the buildings: a lot of flowering shrubs, palms, and trees, all nicely kept. It takes one hour and a half by bus to get there from the airport. Good thing they give you keys (magnetic cards) to your room at the airport; there is no need to wait in a long line at the lobby after arrival. Luggage is delivered to your room by the staff.

Rooms:
My room was a so-called standard room: really small, bathroom not bad, furniture old-fashioned. The bed had a rather nasty low-quality mattress, on which you could feel springs beneath. I requested a room in the adult section of the hotel by email; I was given a room in the family section. Figures. I requested a second-floor room; I was given a first-floor room. So much for email requests to the hotel before you go. The TV in the room was a small CRT (not flat), Chinese production. The channel reception was quite bad: only a couple of English channels (CNN), the rest Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, French, Chinese (!). First-floor rooms have a bad smell (probably from higher humidity causing fungi to grow). The mini fridge was small but enough for keeping water in 1L bottles and beer cold… No radio was provided in the room, and no clock. All lights were fluorescent type, low wattage, quite dark at night. Good thing that the bed had a halogen reading light installed above the headrest. Air conditioning worked OK, if not too much. Room service was OK, but I think that they spend too much time on decorating beds with swans made from towels, than on actual cleaning (expecting tips I presume). Bed sheets are NOT changed daily, as you may expect. Be careful, it is not easy to change rooms; I know, I tried and failed. Unless you pay a lot extra, of course.

Beach:
The most important thing for me. Unfortunately, it did not provide the expected relaxation. The beach itself was very nice: crystal-clear water, white sand, etc. But… they were many problems, too. Because the hotel is huge and crowded, they installed sun-shading palapas on the beach in a single row next to each other, with no space between them; read: no privacy. The beach lounges, although there are plenty of them, were made quite poorly, and it was rather hard to find one that was not damaged. I estimate, that at least 70% of them were not fully functional. 5-star hotels should really take better care of beach lounges, repair them, or change them. You were very close to your neighbour, sometimes a foot away. There were many children around, some of them were really small infants; it was difficult to have a moment of quiet time. I have been to many places in Cuba and other islands, but I have never seen strollers on the beach, sometimes doubles. Palapas were also poorly made, and most of them had holes in the tops. The beach was also very crowded, so if your idea is to be away from people, think again. I took a walk on the beach to other hotels, and it was clear that people there enjoy much better palapas, chairs, and peace. There is no beach bar or restaurant as such, where you can have your lunch; only small beach bars with drinks and sandwiches. You have to exit the beach to get something more substantial to eat.

Food:
There is plenty of food available, with good variety. There are plenty of tables to choose from in the restaurants. Service is questionable. There are good waiters, and there are bad waiters. To the second category, I put waiters who choose to completely ignore you if they don’t get or don’t expect to get tips. One day I waited half an hour to get my wine glass refilled, and finally I got up and went to the waiter and asked. There are also dedicated serving stations for preparing eggs, fish, pizza, etc. The peculiar thing that it is hard to find decent bread, I mean, with crust, European-style. Wine selection is limited to three very basic wines. Good thing that the main restaurant is air conditioned, sometimes even too much. No big problem with the stomach this time, only minor at the end of 2 weeks stay, although I have seen some people get violently ill outside the restaurant. Most people ate too much, anyway.

Bar:
There is a really big bar across the lobby serving drinks. The same problem, though, as in the restaurant: tips. If you don’t like tipping, or you think that “all inclusive” means what it says, be prepared for long waits, before anybody serves you a drink. I found it annoying, to say the least. I also hated the plastic cups they use for drinks.

Entertainment:
Every evening at 9:30 pm at a theater next to the lobby there is a show for an hour or so. They have professional dancers and a choreographer. Expect to see sometimes more than you wished, as the female dancers use G-strings and make sure that they show it often. For my taste, too much too often; but then again, most people seemed to enjoy it. It all depends on what you like. Some shows were pretty good, some not.

Summary:
Not a bad place, but definitely not the best. The 5-star rating is obviously too high; 3 stars would be more adequate in my opinion. If you like a lot of people around you all the time, you have found it. If you don’t, find something else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Krakus2000
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is not a Melia, it’s operated by “Gaviota” what a difference in standard, so if you are hoping for a Melia beware, do your research. It is not my first time to Cuba but my first in “Cayo Santa Maria”. The Beach is the best part of this hotel. Spent 6 days, I spent my first day trying to change my room, as the Air conditioner sounded like and diesel engine, the bedroom and the beds full of bugs, I could understand some bugs in the room, but not the bed. The hotel Management useless, got the air condition unit serviced twice on the first day, on the third service call I was advised to immediately change my room as the air condition was beyond repair. Ladies beware you will get a slow service, ask your partner to order, service is always faster. Certain staff members do not comprehend the concept of time, 10 minutes, 1 hour or one day is all the same…. This is a 3.5 stars hotel not more “Air Canada Vacation (Tour operator)” needs to reconsider their rating. I will not pay more than $700 to stay in that Hotel. It is in need of renovation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Bassem Z
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Husband and I travelled from June 23-29 2012. Hotel is a far drive from the airport (1.5hours), but this was our second time to Cayo Santa Maria and the beach is worth the drive. Beach is beatiful and looks endless. We have been to other countries, Punta Cana and Mayan Riviera, and those beaches do not compare.

Check in we arrived late in the evening and we received all our room keys, bracelets and info in an envelope at the airport. They did prebook 3 out of our 4 a la carts and got that info as well.
Once t the hotel we had a map and found our room 5225 pretty easily.I do recomemnd a flashlight it is helpful, but for the most part pathways have some lighting. Our luggage was brought to our room within an hour, exact time unknown as we went to eat.

Room We had a Superior suite, not impressed for the upgrade difference. The room is larger with walk in closet, however in some disrepair. A/C worked but had some noise to it. Bathroom had some ceiling tiles that where falling, or more like saging. Sink and bath faucet had rust as well as shower rod. Parts of the closet organizer were broken. None of this affected our stay we paid $703 total each but had we paid the upgraded price or more we would not have been happy with the quality. Railings in bungalows are often not secure, some burnt out lights. Our patio door did not lock. Room was clean, and great location, no bugs no smell. Maid service daily she was pleasant. Charged our sheets daily, until I found the "green friend" card and it explains to leave the card on the pillow if you do not want your sheets changed that day. I left it on the pillow daily once I found it. We got clean towels daily when we placed the wet/dirty once in the tub. we also got cute animal towel friends. No complaints with room service or mini bar service that came daily around 6pm.
Pool as mentioned we stayed in bungalow 52 which was on the "adult" side of the resort. It was by the two relaxing pools. We never went to the acti ity pools on the other side of the resort, it had two pools on only a foot deep for kids, but lots of music and activities for young families, kids, teens,and tnose young at heart. Hubby and I liked the quiet and nearly empty relaxation pool.
Swim up bar was the highlight. Service was good, have had better at Barcello by Rafeal. But never waited too long for a drink. Lots of snade under palapas, lots of chairs. Few plastic cups flooting through the pool, but pool guy was there everymorning cleaning the pool, just sad some guests are unable to throw out their own cups. Pools clean and soooo nice temperature was perfect.
I would say some garbages around the pool and resort, where nor changed when they got full. One overflowing for several days before staff changed it. Some bottles plates and cups left around the resort, however usually picked up.

Restaurant/food
All restaurants we visited where clean, and quick services to get us seated. Buffet had good selection, I am a fussy eater and found options. Food is good for Cuba, can not compare to other countries. Service after being seated is slow, this was accross the baord at the buffets. Most of the time got myown refils for drinks.
A la carts we ate at the Romantico twice, a/c was broken it was a sauna and so hot i felt ill. Food was good steak was delicious, i was surprised, potatoes yuk from a box. Service friendly and was great witn drink refills server spoke some english and french.
Mexican was also good service, a little less english but we get by. We orderd beef and chicken fajitas and laughed when we get hard taco shells. Meet was good, desert there was fabulous.
Italian average, nothing to write home about.
Asian service slow at first, but we arrived early, and it was busy. Food was good, language a bit difficault ordered the beef and chicken and told it was fajitas but it was a stir fry style. No complaints.

Lobby bar. At night slow service. This bar gets busy, lots of bar staff, but you are waiting to be served sometimes 5-10mins. All other bars good service and seem to be fair, not just serving high tippers, but serving based on arrival.

Service found nearly all staff to be pleasant, courteous and helpful. Some staff try harder then others, but like mentioned we still had no real complaints. We tipped when we felt it appropriate, never felt presure to tip, or awkward not tipping. It was low season and possible maybe not enough staff... There where alot of guests at tnis resort, not sure what service would be like at full capacity,

Beach absolutely breathtaking waters, and sand. Nothing i have seen compares. Panini on the beach fantastic. Beach party on the beach was fun at night too.

Overall I would return at tnis price you have lots of food optiones and a great getaway, for the price. Resort is large, we walked and max 10 minutes from one end to the other. The golf carts where out in full force two or three most of the time. Calling ahead for them, don't hold your breath, but catching them as you walk was easy. Over heard several tourist sick not just from this resort, some pepto or immodium is recomended. Ice cream parlour yummy treat and hambergers at the 24 h beer gardens soo yummy too. We brought down gifts for staff, bike lights, batteries, pens a big hit!!!, markers, brand new barbies another big hit!!, candy, juice jugs, cloth pins, good quality childrens clothes that my kids out grew. Children and infant tylenol. all well received by staff.
Over all 3.5 star would go again for $700 canadian per person. At $1000 per person i would look at other countries.

1 Thank hockeywifenmom
Montréal
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We travelled to the MLD last week (June 24 til July 1st) for a friend's wedding, we were a group of 48 persons. We flew with Air Canada form Montreal and the weather in the air wasn't great so a lot of turbulences round trip. I will do a short review for the MLD.

Pros: BEACH, BEACH and BEACH!!! Pristine water and white sand (clean). A lot of palapas and no one on the beach to offer us stuff that we don't need. Excursion: we took the Jeep Safari and it was magical (soft rooster fights, meal at a farm and swimming in a natural river).

Cons: Hotel room: dirty and old. Ask twice before my arrival to be placed on the floor (wasn't done at my arrival). Bizarre odors (humidity and something else) so I asked for a room change (no problem with that) but my blocck was very far from everything (I was in block 18). The room was better but the air con wasn't working very well so it was very hot during all week. The first day I gave a pair of jeans to the maid to get good service...nothing happen ( a flower on the bed and that's it!). Meals: worst meals I ever had in Cuba (it was my 8th trip), everyday has the same canned fruits and vegetables, green salad once, meat was hard and waiters at the main buffet were harassing us to get our pesos. Restaurants "a la carte" had no air conditionning so it was very very hot. Drinks: just OK but don't forget to show your pesos up in the air if you want to get something rapidly. Hotel complex: too big to get to everything (pool, lobby, beach) and not so clean (dead mouse near the pool).

So if you want to go to Cayo Santa Maria, try to choose another hotel (I was just beside at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria in February 2012 and it was alot better on all aspects).

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room and don't spend your money on a superior room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank freddou
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We spent 5 nights here and found it was quite good value but there was a few things which could have been done better considering this counts itself as a 5 star hotel. The beach is best part - the water is just beautiful - crystal clear turquoise and the swimming pools are lovely, we enjoyed the swim up bars. Ask to stay in the adult part if you're not with kids, definitely worth it. This is definitely a hotel for young Canadians but they were very well behaved!
However, we were a bit disappointed by a few things - our room smelt musty the whole time though we had a lovely sea view. We also didn't have hot water for two days which never happened to us in casas which were a fraction of the price. We told staff numerous times on the first day but it took 2 days to sort out. The food in the buffet was mediocre, quite plain and the room was too air-conditioned so it was freezing. The staff were also very un-attentive and you had to spend huge parts of the evening looking for plates as they would run out. The other themed restaurants feel a bit fake and soul-less but that's all inclusives for you, though they do try. The 'romantic' restaurant had lovely food though and a great pianist and saxophonist.
The main entertainment was very cheesy and not our thing but we liked the live bands that played on the bandstand though they could do with playing something other than Chan Chan every night! There was a fun beach party one night though.

There was also an atmosphere of constant tipping where staff seemed to expect it even when you asked for water! This may be normal for North Americans but for Europeans, it's quite off-putting and unnecessary when you have deliberately chosen an all-inclusive to have everything paid for. I am more than happy to tip at the end if it's worth it but not constantly. We also saw tips being used as essentially bribes by North Americans to get quicker service which is uncomfortable.

We would however recommend the snorkelling catamaran trip, (though not cheap!) - we went to the most beautiful beach where you could walk out for about 200 metres and the water was still only up to your ankles and totally clear! We also got to touch dolphins in a centre. I would normally think that sort of thing was cruel but they seemed well looked after and it was an unforgettable experience!

All in all, this was a pretty hotel in nice grounds with loads of great facilities but it needs to sort a few things out if it is to be considered a 5 star by European standards.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Natalie W
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

The bus ride from the airport to the Resort it relatively long (1 1/2 hrs) so be prepared for this. Since Cayo Santa Maria is a island off the coast of Cuba so take this into consideration. You drive over a bridge that is 48 km long. The tour guide is helpful and explains the history of the island and the bridge making process. There are also beers available on the bud for 1 PAS so enjoy

I have traveled to Cuba numerous times and I have to say Melia Las Dunas has the nicest beaches in all of Cuba. Hands down, the water, the sand, and the beach itself is so relaxing and beautiful. Unfortunately, we traveled June 16-23rd and had 6 days of rain which stunted the amount of time we could spend at the beach.

In addition, to anyone who doesn't like walking I wouldn't recommend this resort because it is huge. My boyfriend and I don't mind the walking so it was ok for us. The grounds are well kept and the scenery around the resort is really nice. One can see that there is great attention payed to details which go a long way. They always have the carts going around the grounds so even if your not into walking, you can just wait for one of the carts to come around and they will take you to your destination.

The pools are really nice. The adult/relaxing pool is really calm, which allows one to relax with no disturbances. The other pool on the family side has entertainment and is more alive so it all goes along what someones taste is. The pools are clean, there are always chairs available so it is really nice. The entertainment staff gives a lot of energy to ensure that guests have a good time.

The rooms are really nice for Cuba. I was impressed because not only was it clean, but there were no bugs and the cleaning lady (Juliet) really worked to make our room spotless. We left her a tip everyday and I say its well worth it. She always changed our sheets, towels, and always made us a nice design when we retreated back to our room. Around 6-7 there isn't a lot of hot water, because everyone is showering at that time I'm assuming. Then beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms are well kept. We were in bungalow 25, which I would definitely recommend because the entrance to the beach is right as you walk out of the bungalow. The family pool is 2 minutes away and the buffet/lobby is about 5 minute walk.

The lobby is really well kept and decorated. It is so relaxing to sit in the booths they have. PS. they have the best cappuccinos. There is always somewhere to sit, and there are numerous waitresses walking around to serve you with drinks. The lobby bar is where the party is at night. Always something interesting going on,and most of the guests remain there. They had amazing drinks, and the bartenders were really nice and would make you any drink you wanted. I recommend a Spanish Coffee or a Mimosa. MMM

One of the biggest problems I had with my stay at this resort was the Service. At the buffets, the staff was extremely helpful and always wanted to assist and or serve you. At the "garden bar" the service was disgusting. The waitresses would walk past you, make you wait 30 minutes to be served, and would be chatting with other staff members while you sat and waited like an idiot. I did not appreciate this. All in all, if you want service be prepared to wave a Pasos around before you get served.

The food in the buffets and in the bars around the resort are really good. Like I said, I have been to various places in Cuba and this has to be the best food I've had at any resort! They always have different stations with stir-fry's, BBQ, sea-food, and pasta. Everyone can find something they like at both the buffets and the bars.

I would recommend anyone traveling here to be prepared with medication and bug repellent. I have never gotten sick in Cuba until this time, and I did not bring anything to help me. There is no doctor on the grounds which means you have to pay for a taxi to drive you to the International Clinic (around 5 pasos). The first taxi driver drove us to another resort because he did not understand English. The 2nd taxi was very helpful and even waited for us at the Clinic until I finished with the Doctor. So be prepared. The mosquito's were brutal and I really recommend you bring bug repellent because I did and I still came home completely eaten by them. The resort does spray the air with the bug repellent but I assume there are just to many to be controlled.

Overall, it was a good trip, with average service. This will be my last trip to Cuba though!

1 Thank culica