“Memorable first trip to Cuba”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Memorable first trip to Cuba”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the MLD from May 26 - June 2. We flew with WestJet and booked a Superior Standard room. Overall, we had a great experience and I can safely say that the reviews on this site are generally accurate. To clarify that statement, I think people have made some relatively objective statements about MLD but I think the overall ratings are open to interpretation. For example, the drive to the resort is approximately 2 hours but your enjoyment of this will depend on the weather, time of day and familiarity with the route. This was our first time to Cuba so we were soaking up the scenery. If it had been nighttime, or if we had traveled the route several times before, it would have been boring. This was a highlight for us but others might not get the same level of enjoyment out of it. Likewise regarding the size of the resort - some walking is involved but we never had to walk more than 5 minutes in any direction. That might not be the case if you have children, are elderly or have a physical disability.

The resort was very nice and the level of service was about what I expected. I wasn't expecting anyone to cater to my every whim and desire - there are hundreds of other people at the resort and most restaurants and bars only have a few people providing service. I had read reviews about the piano bar being under-serviced but I found there were at least four bartenders working at any point in time. We never had to wait for an espresso or cappuccino.

One thing I was not expecting was the difference between the a la carte restaurants and the buffet. For me, the buffet was generally a much better experience. Food was more varied and (mostly) better quality, service was more polite and the overall vibe was more enjoyable. Although there are five restaurants and two buffets listed for the resort, only three a la cartes and one buffet were open during our stay there. We went to the seafood and Italian-food restaurants. I read very good reviews for Columbus (Italian) but I was really disappointed with the service and food. There was a level of pretension that simply did not merit the food that was served. For example, the seafood "medley" consisted only of shrimp, the minestrone soup was very similar to canned, condensed soup, the chicken entree was overcooked and the tiramisu was simply a piece of cake placed on top of custard. Yet, the staff were behaving as if this was the most exclusive spot on the resort. Ultimately, the whole experience felt contrived - it was an attempt at fine-dining without the fine dining. However, the seafood restaurant was fantastic and it served the best fish I've ever had. My wife generally dislikes fish and she, too, thought it tasted really good. The service at this restaurant was also a little bit more relaxed and enjoyable. Wine was always topped up and the wait staff were generally non-intrusive, which is a good thing for us. Of course, tastes will vary and I highly recommend trying any and all of the a la cartes if you're interested.

Our room was located on the second floor of building 28. The spot was ideal because it was exceptionally close to the quieter part of the beach, it was around the corner from the pool (where you have to pick-up/exchange beach towels) and was only a few minutes walk from the central hub of the resort (i.e., lobby, buffet, piano bar, etc.). The room was generally clean and room service was like clockwork every day. Floors were washed, towels were replaced, bed linens were changed and litter was always removed. We also never had a problem with having drinks delivered every day - two sodas, two beers and a 1.5L bottle of water. I suspect some people will be put off by the old-looking faucets and drains in the sink and bath/shower but it did not bother me. A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) The bath drain operates by twisting the round metal plate, which I haven't seen before; 2) The fridge may be turned off when you first arrive (don't assume it's broken); 3) You're in a tropical climate so don't be alarmed to see the scant insect once in a while. I noticed some very tiny (i.e., <0.5mm) insects around the patio door area and had to squash one small beetle (its presence was my own fault because I left a damp towel on the floor). The bed was very clean, although the mattress was somewhat too stiff for my liking. However, I never had back problems or sore limbs. Overall, the room was very good given the price, service and easy access to other areas of the resort. I would highly recommend the Superior Room and I would definitely recommend building 28 if you're main goal is to access a quieter part of the beach.

Despite any pros and cons that can be drummed up about the resort, the beach is the real reason to stay at MLD. It was absolutely fantastic and it would be a shame to spend the majority of your time anywhere else on the resort (at least during daylight hours). The water is very clear, very shallow and plant-life is virtually non-existent. The shore is set up with relatively comfortable reclining beach chairs covered by umbrellas and shelters. The crowd was never too big and we always had some space between occupied chairs. There's a small amount of wildlife to watch if that's your thing. There are small yellow crabs that burrow into the sand, a couple of small lizards that occupy the thatch in the umbrellas and roof of the shelter, small fish that occasionally travel the shoreline and we were lucky enough to see a pelican land in the water once while we were swimming. This is a great, great, great beach.

Here is the reality: this is not a Four Seasons resort. It is rated as a 4.5 or 5 star resort because of the services it offers but don't expect to sit in the lap of luxury. The drive to MLD gives you some glimpses at the living conditions of many Cubans who do not belong to the upper-elite in the country. Our tour guide pointed out what appeared like a rundown, concrete block of apartments and said that was where the resort staff lived - these were some of the best housing options available because the block would not be affected by a hurricane. Bear in mind that everything is relative, don't take things for granted and respect what is available in this country. If you go to the MLD with the right expectations, you will have a very enjoyable vacation in Cuba.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are reportedly less prone to invading insects. We stayed in a second-floor...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
20 Thank ShawneM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,330)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just returned from a two week stay at MLD (20th of May - 4th of June)

Myself and my girlfriend had a fantastic time and was very sad upon leaving. After reading a couple of negative reviews we was a little worried upon arrival especially after reading that previous guests have felt compelled to tip the bar and restaurant staff in order to receive a friendly and efficient service. We found it to be completely false infact the general pleasantness of the restaurant staff was one of the highlights of our holiday we never felt once obliged to leave a tip although we did on occasions simply because we felt it was well deserved. I have to single out Jorge Luis and Alex inparticular they were absolutely fantastic and are credit to the hotel!

The food was great. there was a very good selection and even the fussiest eater would'nt starve. I must say the fried meats was a highlight for me and i liked how you could choose your meat and have it cooked infront of you. One thing we did find was it was best to eat within the first hour of the evening buffet restaurants opening as a couple of times we left it quite late and maybe had to wait a few minutes for a table to be relaid for us. Not a huge issue but just a heads up especially if you are with a larger party.

Our room was as we expected. Nothing exceptional but it was comfortable. the guys come to re-stock the minibar at around 6ish and again have a good selection. Our maid was lovely and even left us a hand written welcome and farewell note which i thought was nice touch. The only issue we had was the sheets on our bed wasnt changed as frequently as we would have liked and i only knew this as i had spilled some coke on the bed and kept noticing the stain. Another slight issue was our safety deposit box wasnt working upon arrival but after a quick call to recpetion a handyman arrived within five minutes and fixed it. In terms of bugs we did have the odd spider and cockroach but what can you expect from a country with such a warm climate.

The beach was incredible and already i want to go back to just paddle around in the crystal clear sea, it was definately an experience! i would advise though if planning to spend a full day at the beach to get up early to reserve a parasol as often we left it late and had to walk a great deal to find one which again isnt a huge deal. As we went as a couple we spent a lot of time around the adult pool which was very relaxing. there was plenty of sun beds and parasols no matter what time we turned up which was a bonus. The pool itself was clean and a decent size although not very deep. The snack bar there was also good and with the main buffet restaurant being a 5-10 minute walk from the pool it was ideal just for a light lunch.

One last thing i would recommend taking plenty of insect repellent and a bite relief spray/cream, we overheard a few people complaining about their bites throughout our two week stay and for the first 12 days we got away with only a couple but the last two nights we seemed to have had a bit of an outbreak and they itch like crazy. Again it can't be helped in such a climate and the hotel do their part by spraying the grounds every evening.

All in all we had a fantastic time, it exceeded all of our expectations and would definately like to go back in the future.

Room Tip: i did hear that rooms on the 2nd floor have less of an issue with bugs
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Joseph_Lanes
Courtice
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Went with my grandparents for there 50th anniversary from may 5th to 12th with 14 other family members and this place was an amazing stay. Only a few flaws, if you want to get a drink at the lobby at night you most likely should have a tip in your hand or your waiting like 20-30 mins for a drink. Big resort so there is a lot of walking and make sure you book your a la carts first day. The oriental and french a la carts were amazing.Shouts outs to ma man Ricardo from the beer garden what a beauty.
One more thing bring bug spray as they bugs get bad around 9ish.

4 Thank Brendan S
Ontario
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We went to Melia Las Dunas at Spring Break (March 2012). Having never gone to Cuba nor taken an all-inclusive vacation, we were quite pleased overall. We had read many reviews as well and were unsure what to expect but also knew that each person has different expectations, so you have to wait and judge it yourself once you get there.
Upon arrival at the airport, it took an hour or more to get checked through and loaded on to the buses. In the parking lot, there were reps for each hotel who handed you your check in package and told you which bus to take to your hotel. Nice and simple. They also came along for the ride to explain some things to you along the way. The bus ride took about an hour and a half from the airport, going through the little towns and along the causeway (surrounded by the water). The bus was comfortable enough (like a coach bus) but some seatbelts didn't work. We couldn't see a lot since it was late at night.
Arriving around midnight on a Sat night, we were really impressed by the appearance of the resort. There was a piano player in the lobby, which was really welcoming and added to the atmosphere. We had a bit of a hard time finding our place in the dark, but there were people around to help guide you. Luggage was taken to our rooms for us and being dropped off as we walked there. We checked out the rooms then went for a walk around the resort to find some late night snacks.
The only snack bar still open had hot dogs/hamburgers, fries and seafood. We were hoping for a light snack like nachos or fruit and veggies or something not too greasy. So bring your own snacks with you for night time munchies. (We did bring crackers, Pringles, etc with us.)
We had asked for a second floor adjoining room, but found out it was extra $ for adjoining rooms. We did get side by side rooms, which was fine. The beds were always neatly made up each day, with a creative design for the covers, or curtains, or towels. It was hard to know when the maids and water/bar refills would come by. However, we did learn that they were not the same people. (We would leave a treat or a tip for the water/drink refills in the fridge & one for the maids on the bed. We also left little notes to thank them and to ask for more agua, if needed.)
The last day, 3 hours before departure, our safe did not open. They did send someone up to cut it open so we could retrieve passports, money, etc. but had not banked on this to happen. We had already extended our stay in the room by a few hours so we could still hang out at the beach before our check out time at 4 pm. (Just check in with the front desk. It was a bit of extra $.)
FOOD: à la carte: Romantico restaurant was by far our favourite. We liked the chicken & the beef dishes the best. The potato/tomato soup was also great. The jazz player (saxophone) and the piano man were an amazing duo. The pizzeria was not actually where they listed it to be. It was not the same pizza place as the one by the kids pool in the daytime (that one became a Mexican restaurant at night). The pizza restaurant was the snack bar near the adult pool in the day time. Pizza was good, but different than Canadian versions. ;) TO IMPROVE: To reserve the à la carte dinners, you should post the menus on the wall in the lobby so people will know ahead of time what they can choose from. There are only 2 people running the reservation station and you only get to see the menus once you reach them, so it takes 15-20 mins at least to book your reservations as you try to decide what you'd like. If people knew what the restaurants had to offer ahead of time, they could make their choices a lot faster.
ALLERGIES: I have a peanut/nut allergy and was worried about what may cause a reaction. I was told to get in touch with the food and beverage manager upon my arrival, which I did. He did try to tell me some of the foods, but didn't seem to know which ones may or may not contain nuts. I avoided all desserts and just stuck to foods that were basic that you'd have a good idea as to what they may have been prepared with. Not sure if any peanut products were there, but there were definitely other nuts in desserts, etc. Just be sure to bring 2 epi-pens (and Benadryl) as the nearest clinic is about 20 mins away. Friends with us have seafood allergies and they were both ok as well, even begin around so many seafood ingredients.
ICE CREAM SHOP: You can stop by anytime during the day to get ice cream. Chocolate and mango were the best.
BREAKFAST: The breakfast buffet is from 7- 10 am. The kids said the breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day, especially with our dear pancake lady, Yaniesa, who would greet the children each morning by their names (after learning them on the first day). The omelette station was also very good, but they somtimes ran out of ingredients (such as queso). Worth standing in line for fresh omelettes and fresh crepes (pancakes).There is also a smoothie station on one side of the buffet (but the smoothies didn't taste the same as what we were used to.)
LUNCH: Panini grill on the beach was great for lunch. They close by 3 or 4 pm. We had paninis most days for lunch so we didn't have to leave the beach. Our panini lady helped teach us to order in spanish. She was great!
BUFFET: Supper buffet doesn't open until 7 pm, so make sure you eat a late lunch/brunch. There were lots of food choices at the buffet. We liked getting fresh chicken grilled and also liked the stir fry station in the back corner. You did have to wait in longer line-ups but it was worth it. My husband waited a long time for fresh sushi, but said it was worth the wait.
IMPROVE FOOD HANDLING: I would suggest that food be prepared with gloves, as we have in Canada for most restaurant prep and that the temperature of the foods be better regulated (hot stuff kept warmer, cool items, kept cooler. Do not add items that were sitting out back in to the containers to use the next day. (Watch out for the seafood. My husband was sick each time he ate it. The rest of us were not seafood lovers so we were fine.)
BEACH: View is spectacular! Beautiful turquoise water, soft sand. But we were surprised by how windy it was every day. I thought it would be quiet and calm, which it wasn't. However, there were waves to jump in each day and the kids loved doing that! The catamarans were only out one day during our week as it was too windy the other days. There were activities on the beach. Check out the signs on your way down. You have to be up early to reserve beach chairs near the main area (drink hut and panini hut.) Lots of beach chairs though.
POOLS: We spent most of our time at the beach, not the pools so we can't comment on the pools very much. There are activities each day at both pools. The adult pool was always quiet. The family pool was more lively with lots of action.
ROOMS: We enjoyed our rooms, building 74, second floor, near the adult pool. The only thing was the dead bolts were not actually in the door, so they obviously did not work. They should be replaced. We thought the beds were comfortable (much better sleep than in my own bed at home!) We didn't have any problems with bugs.
SPORTS: There is a sports centre, with ping pong tables, a huge chess set, archery (only for a certain time in the day, with a long line-up), shuffleboard. It was sometimes hard to find people working there in order to get the supplies to use for the games. You needed to pick up tennis rackets from there before going to the tennis courts (which are on the other side of the resort near the spa.) There is also a fitness facility (a couple of bikes, treadmills and some weights) next to the spa and the Pueblo (Market). There is also beach volleyball, near the beach, every morning until around noon. My husband also went for jogging a few times, just off the resort along the roads, and felt very safe.
PUEBLO: The market changes vendors every 2 days, so go back and check out what's new. We only went to the market on premises because some others had told us it was the same as the pueblo you could take the bus ride to. Lots of neat things to buy.
GARDENERS: We were greeted by Alejandro each day that we saw him. He made the kids special grasshoppers from some of the plant leaves. They thought it was great! Thanks for being so friendly!
EXCURSIONS: We did take the family on the Dolphinarium trip, for the 10 am booking. It needs to be better organized, as you spent a lot of time standing around, waiting your turn (For $100 a person!) Lunch choices were chicken or lobster, which came with fries and drinks and ice cream at the end. They let 12-15 people at a time out on the platform to touch the dolphins and interact with them during the show. (Watch your step as the rock platform you stand on in the water is very slimy and you could slip easily.) They had 3 shows at a time. However, it's not just tourists from your resort. It's all the resorts, so I'd say we were at least 200 people there. The sea otter show was very brief (10 mins) because they waited for everyone to finish with the dolphins and finish their lunch before starting. TO IMPROVE: They should run the sea otter and dolphin shows concurrently: some people go watch the sea otter show then have lunch while others are at the dolphin show, then have their lunch. There were 3 catamarans to take us out after this, from 1 pm-4pm. Our crew was fun! We got separated from the rest of our friends in the line-up, so they told the catamaran crew, who called us up from way down the line so we were able to be together on the same boat. The water was quite choppy for snorkeling. There weren't a lot of explanations on what to do for snorkeling. We had brought our own equipment with us (from Costco)and were glad we had, since we didn't see any cleaning of the snorkeling masks before they were put away, or when they were taken out. Each person was given a little floatation device to wear around their waist, as a rope was thrown out as a guide in the middle to hang on to if needed. You stayed at the snorkeling spot for about 30-45 mins, then off we went to the next stop ("the beach" which was just a small piece of land in the water). You had to get in the water to get off the boat, and could walk around or swim in shallow water, finding starfish and just cooling off. Catamarans were very nice though. It was a fun excursion, but pricey for what you get.
LOBBY AREA: Be sure to go past the lobby each evening as you never know what is happening. There is always dancing and performances each night just in front of the lobby. There was a Cuban party one night, with cotton candy and face painting. One night, there was even a "statue" dressed up in the lobby. (Great job, by the way!)
AIRPORT: Make sure you eat at the resort before you leave because there is a very limited choice for food at the airport and the line-up is long. The shops/food stations are closed later at night. Our flight was late leaving, which seems to be pretty typical.
WHAT TO BRING: Bring your own kleenex. They don't have any. Bring any medicines you may need (Claritin or Benadryl for allergies, advil, bandaids, etc). VERY small store with VERY limited and expensive supplies. Bring a Bubba mug (Canadian Tire sells them) to fill up with drinks, to save on trips up to the bar. Strawberry coladas are great! Bring any snacks you may be used to having during the day or at night (chips, pretzels, m&m's, etc). Bring lots of sunscreen and aloe vera for any burns. Ladies, bring any supplies you may need for "that time of the month". Bring shoes for the beach, but also shoes for sports (such as playing tennis) and for dinners at night. Bring fancier clothes for night time. (Most ladies wear dresses and the guys were in pants and collared shirts. Couldn't find an actual dress code online for this resort.)
We'd go back to Melia Las Dunas. Our overall experience was enjoyable and very relaxing, laying on the beach.
A special thank you to Miriela Pombal Moreno, who responded quickly to emails, before our visit, about room requests and also about what to do with my allergies. Gracias! Thanks also to Yaniesa (our pancake lady) and Alejandro (our gardener) for being so friendly, and explaining some of the Cuban culture to us. Thanks to all the Cubans who made us feel welcome in their country!

Room Tip: don't pay extra for an ocean view as there are a lot of trees
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Familyofvacationers4
Denbigh
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at MLD for 2 weeks at the beginning of May.

I think the varied reviews for this hotel are inevitable given the size of it. It’s not unlike the difference in hosting an intimate dinner party where you can cater for individual needs and throwing a full blown event for a cast of hundreds.

I won't go into details other reviewers say it all - the good and not so good. I believe that everyone had the experience they did, for whatever reason.

I think the biggest problem with this resort is the evening congregation in the lobby. It's the only place to go before and after your evening meal. Unsurprisingly waiting on staff can't cover the tables for service as quickly as guests may wish.

Whilst basing the lobby in the middle of the resort might seem like a good idea it's a long walk back to some of the rooms at the end of the day. I'd like a choice of venues for evening drinks like there is eateries during the day. How about converting the pool restaurants into bars in the evenings?

We went for the beach, sun and relaxation and had a great time.

Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2012

25 of us went May 15-22 nd for a wedding. It was awesome and everyone at the resort were amazing. The resort is big, so ask to get close to the lobby. Our son's wedding was amazing and the staff went beyond to make the wedding very memorable. There is lots to do. I would recommend the resort in a heart beat.

Room Tip: get a room close to the lobby so you are central
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This review is a little late as we were at MLD at the tail end of the MB, Mar.16-23.

My husband and 5 year old child were with me and we had Room 2424 on the family side. The location was perfect as we had the bridge to the beach and the path to the fun pool, right there. We had brought a flashlight as suggested by other guests on Trip Advisor and it was well warranted for those dimly lit pathways at night.

The room was a "room" ; the cleanliness was okay but not phenomenal. No bugs to speak of (except for a giant spider on the wall one morning), but I do think there is mold in most of the villas. My son's asthma really flared up while in the room. My son had an accident one afternoon while napping and I went down to the customer service to request clean sheets and they were replaced. We had tipped the maid at the beginning of the week, but it didn't really make a difference. If towels or repairs were requested (we had a couple problems with our toilet flushing) they were done promptly. Customer service called us one evening to see if the repairs had been done. It was nice to have the balcony, as at night we couldn't always catch the shows because our son needed to sleep, so we would sit out on the balcony while he slept with a beverage in hand, and listen to the Cuban music from our vantage point. The beverage guy comes every night at 6:00 or so to fill up the fridge with a variety of bevvies. You can also count on the plumes of toxic insecticide fumes spewed out by a travelling cart every evening at approx. 6:00 p.m. So stay clear of the pathways at that time unless you want to grow a third eye by the end of the week.

The food was the best my husband and I have ever eaten in Cuba. This is my fourth time in Cuba, having visted Varadero twice and Cayo Coco once. Best advice: eat at the little cafes by the pool in the morning or at lunch. I found the big buffet to be too overwhelming; crowded and noisy. I liked the smaller buffet, but the poolside cafes at the family pool were tasty! The a la carte restaurants were good; the Italian was great and the one closer to the large buffet was also quite tasty. The pizzeria by the adult pool sucked. Mosquitos ate you alive at night, as well. I've never had any stomach upset in Cuba and it was the same this time; we were all fine.

The booking process for the restaurants is time consuming and really needs an overhaul. I also blame the guests in general as some people would sit there memorizing the menu while the rest of us literally petrified in the ever growing line-up. Come on people, we aren't buying a condo, just picking a restaurant. You can read and re-read and re-analyze the menu while you are dining at the restaurant!!

My husband's favourite place was the beer garden; as my son says, "We almost missed the bus to the airport because daddy was saying goodbye to the beer garden." I loved the beach; the most beautiful beach I have ever seen and I have travelled. My son loved the kid's pool. We had an incident one day when he was playing with some older boys and slipped while jumping into the pool. We had so much help from poolside guests but not one of the MLD's pool staff came over to see why he was bleeding into the pool. I don't think any of the hotels in Cayo Santa Maria should indicate on their information that a doctor is present at the resort as this is pure bunk. I heard countless horror stories in the airport boarding lounge of guests at other resorts who were so ill, injured etc. that had take a cab into town. It is ridiculous that there isn't at least two doctors on call at the eight or so resorts up and down the Cayo of Santa Maria.

My son had an asthma attack one night and I received so much help from a wonderful gardener in our block named Hector. He showed me what plants to use from the lush gardens surrounding our villa on his chest and feet if it happened again that night. The man was genuinely concerned and saw me the next morning and asked about my son. He wasn't looking for a tip; he was a kindhearted man who made our trip so great. We established a nice rapport with him that week and we miss you Hector! Take the time to speak with Hector if you are in that block as he is a kind, kind soul. The staff overall is either very helpful or quite surly; I didn't find a middle ground really.

The coffee at the lobby bar was the highlight of my trip! Fantastic. Looked forward to it everyday.

The weather was perfect everyday and I had my doubts since at home the Weather Network was forecasting rain almost everyday. Thank god for the inconsistency of weather reports.

I have to say when I woke up Thursday morning and only had one day left in paradise, I was very depressed. We had a wonderful time despite some ups and downs. The only real negative was the distance from the airport and town. If you have small children with some medical concerns, I wouldn't want to be this far away from help again. Although I was fully prepared with puffers, asthma medication etc.. I must say I felt great angst that night being so far away from any medical intervention.

Room Tip: Room 2424 was okay. Location to the beach and pool is ideal. I would shut the A/C off at night in or...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family