“Beautiful Country - Lovely hotel - Amazing vacation”
Review of Melia Las Dunas

Melia Las Dunas
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Country - Lovely hotel - Amazing vacation”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We just returned from a week at Melia Las Dunas in Cayo Santa Maria….What an amazing trip. My husband and I spent a week there for our 10th anniversary and we were amazed by this resort. First of all, it boggles my mind that anyone could complain about this resort. It’s Cuba . The country is beautiful and the people are beautiful. The food is wonderful.
This hotel is an hour and 45 min drive from Santa Clara airport. A note about the airport…make sure you read the full list of things you AREN’T allowed to bring into the country. My husband and I were detained for over an hour because we had a handheld GPS. A smile goes a long way. Their customs is different than other airports but they are just doing their jobs so have patience and it will go quickly. Make SURE you have 25 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos) with you when you are leaving the country so you can pay the airport tax.
The bus we took to the hotel was so comfortable and our tour guide Luis and Ana (HolaSun) were so nice. The give you a tour on the way to the island as you pass each community. The ride went so quickly because you felt like you were getting a free excursion on the way there! Look out the window…when you see the conditions and the small towns the workers at the hotels live in, maybe you will think twice about complaining about your room if it isn’t perfect when you get to the resort.
Our room (superior) was beautiful. Despite the constant company of lizards and a few little things we might change we thoroughly enjoyed it. The maids are very nice and appreciate “tips”. We brought Canadian chocolates, Tylenol, Advil and first aid kits. Nothing dries here! Our towels and bathing suits did not dry even though we hung them up – so keep that in mind when travelling home with wet items – your suitcase will weigh more!
This hotel is huge. There is a family side, where it’s loud and fun and there is a quiet adult side. The hotel is built like a mirror image of the two sides. It’s very large but you can take the little trams they drive around and it won’t seem so big. We walked everywhere and nothing seemed too far.
The FOOD: it’s amazing. There are so many choices including A la cartes. The buffet is full of meal choices and has set hours. Find out what they are during your stay so you can plan your day accordingly. In the buffet we experienced amazing omelets and crepe stations in the mornings….line up if you have to it’s worth the wait. Our morning waitress Analbiss was so lovely we hope to cross her path again someday. Their morning baked goods are so yummy and they have a lot of choices that will keep you full until lunchtime. In the evening our favourite was the chef making fresh sushi. We stopped by the 24-hour Beer garden for “pub” food several times. It was delicious. We had fried calamari, hotdogs, fish and chips and shrimp skewers. We ate at three a la cartes. The Romatico (Isabel y Fernando) was incredible and indeed very romantic. We dressed nice (make sure you read the dress code) and had a wonderful evening – our waitress was amazing too. We tried the Italian and the Seafood and they were equally good….the Seafood restaurant had a trio band from table to table and they set a very nice mood. We had an early check-out the day we left and the hotel set out a special early buffet just for our group. They are so considerate. Our favourite lunch was the panini’s cooked right on the beach. They were so amazing – each day we counted the minutes until the Panini stand opened.

The POOL: Both pools are great. We spent time at both pools depending on how social we felt. The pool swim up bars are great…we preferred the one on the family area because they had better drinks and weren’t limited on how much alcohol they put in them! The bar in the adult pool seemed a little more stingy with their alcohol unless we coaxed them on.

The BEACH: the beach is gorgeous. It IS littered with seaweed but let’s face it…it’s the sea! The workers on the beach work tirelessly in the hot weather to remove (by hand) the seaweed. But seriously, just step over it it’s not that big of a deal. In fact, we picked through it in the mornings to find the best sea treasures! The first day we were there I was stung by a jelly fish while enjoying the waves. Yes it hurt! There is no vinegar at the bar on the beach (and there really should be) but a quick run to the nearest restaurant, where a lovely woman took care of me, was all I needed. If you walk far left beware of the nudie beach! There are sharp rocks down there so wear water shoes. It’s a lovely walk filled with crabs and seashells.
When we were there it was VERY windy. The Red Flags were up daily but even though the waves were very large we still had a lot of fun in the ocean.
The hotel itself has every element we hoped for and more. We were looking for a quiet hotel where we could sleep by the pool during the day and have a little fun at night. The two pools gave us the option to have fun during the day and be relaxed as well. The animation team is amazing. Their spirit during the day makes you so glad to be near them it’s hard to want to be away from it all and venture to the quiet pool! We STILL have the Rakka rakka in our heads! The evening shows are a treat…but make sure you wear bug spray because the mosquitoes are out at night. The hotel is set-up beautiful and the lobby area is simply gorgeous. It’s wide and open with beautiful sitting spaces. There is a lobby bar, cigar shop, cyber café ($6 for 30 min of internet use), tour desk etc. etc. Make sure you try the cappuccinos and the evening liquor coffee.

All in all we loved this hotel and despite a few bumps it was an otherwise perfect vacation. Try to remember you are in a poor country and try to remember you are on vacation…little things shouldn’t ruin your trip so try not to let them. TRY to speak the language and be grateful while you are there. I was particularly disgusted in watching many people from my own country not using their manners or saying thank you when their servers were giving exceptional service. Melia Las Dunas is a wonderful resort and we cannot wait to bring the family back for a visit.

Room Tip: Rooms near the family side are the closest to the buffet. The upgrade to the Superior room is great...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,340)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We decided to get married at Melia Las Dunas with 68 of our closest friends and family. Being to Cuba 8 times previous and always staying at a Melia hotel we knew what to expect but pretty much all of our guests had never been to Cuba so we were a bit nervous about how they would enjoy the Cuba experience...the MLD did not disappoint!!!!

The wedding coordinator, Maria-Elena, is AMAZING! For all those brides to be out there - she will take care of you and ensure that your day is perfect!!! She is a pro and will work with you to select the ceremony location, flowers, dinner, music, etc. She will make your hair/make-up appointments for you as well as your a la carte dinner reservations...you are in excellent hands with her! The MLD is lucky to have her!!! Thank you Maria-Elena! (You can also check out FB as there is a page dedicated to MLD Brides as well.)

I will try to keep the general review as succinct as possible:

Beach - One of the best beaches in Cuba - you can walk for miles in the beautiful white sand! The water is warm and shallow - you can't beat it if you are a beach person!

Food & Drink - You will not starve! The buffets/restaurants/snack bars have lots to choose from but remember, this is not North America, so you cannot expect the same. Adjust your expectations accordingly. You can always have fresh omelets, pasta, grilled meat and fish and freshly baked bread - yum! All you can drink, need we say more!? The a la cartes were good too - book them and go!

Resort itself - Big!! Lot of walking will be required so if you have mobility issues, make sure you request a centrally located room. We were in block 25 and it was perfect - close to beach and pool with all the activities. There are two pools - family/activity side which is lively and the adult side which is quiet. The resort has golf carts which you can call to come and pick you up or you can flag them down on the resort - the drivers are super friendly - Henny and Miguel are awesome and the others too (I cannot recall their names though)! The gardens are immaculate and beautiful, don't forget to thank the gardeners for their hard work :) The hotel lobby is beautiful and is a great place to hang out anytime.

Rooms - The rooms are spacious, the beds are firm, they all have A/C and big closets and a safe. If you really don't like your room, ask to change it, they will accommodate if possible.

Tipping - Although not required, we always bring gifts down for our chambermaids and tip at the bars and restaurants. Don't forget the gardeners/drivers too! They all work really hard to please the guests and we don't mind showing our appreciation but it is totally a personal choice.

Language - Most of the staff do speak English quite well but sometimes you will find a bit of a barrier. Try some of your French or Spanish, not a big deal. Learn a few words or phrases in Spanish - they appreciate it! Hola!

Drive from Airport - It is 1 hour 45 min, enjoy the ride. You will go through 3 towns, very eye opening. The coach is air conditioned with a toilet and they sell beer. It can be a long drive after your flight but it is part of the trip, so sit back, relax and enjoy!

Excursions - Our group did the catamaran and jeep excursions - they loved it!!!

Overall - It was a great trip!!! Our wedding day was perfect and we will always recommend the Melia resorts in Cuba.

Thank you to Maria-Elena and all the staff who made our wedding day and vacation so memorable!!!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms catch a better breeze :)
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank MonikaS_10
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

travelled to Melia Las Dunas from Nov. 6 to Nov.13 2011. It was my fourth time at Cayo Santa Maria (12 times in Cuba), but I usually stay next door at the Melia, but decided to go for the Las Dunas, which ended up being a wise choice (it was the only hotel on the cayo that was not deserted).

For those who complain about how isolated it is: do your research! It's on a cayo, not the main land. No cubans live there. I usually prefer to be in Trinidad or Havana, more things to do, more exploring, but I wanted to be able to walk for miles on a deserted beach (which you can still do at the moment on cayo Santa Maria if you clear the hotel zone) and relax with a book and do some thinking, so that's why I picked cayo Santa Maria.

The hotel and the grounds are beautiful. The gardens are gorgeous and the site is huge, so it does not feel overcrowded. Despite the immensity of the site, it is easy to regroup at night as there's only one main lobby bar, so it makes it easy to meet with other fellow travellers. My room was at the end of the resort, looking out to the melia. It was a ten minute walk to the buffet and the lobby. When I mentionned this to the staff, they told me I can get my room changed, but I figured I can used the exercise and leave the more central rooms for the people with children or with reduced mobility. Beside, there's a little golf cart going around if you really don't want to walk, and every vehicule (linen, water delivery etc) would stop to offer a ride anyway.

My room was ok. Nothing broken, simple but airy. I was on the second floor with a view of the ocean, and as there was a screen door, I could leave my door open at night and slept to the sounds of the waves and with the ocean breeze instead of the AC. I never saw the maid. She stopped cleaning my room for 2 days (did the bed only), but I think I spooked her (some people are very superstitious!) and she resume cleaning my room normally once the item was removed from sight (it's another story all together, not for here, but a funny one nonetheless!). My fridge was resplenished every 2 days, which was not a problem, as the guy left water and drinks for 2 days anyway, so i never ran out of pop, beer or water.

It was windy all week, which I expected in November. I walked, played in the beautiful waves daily and swim on the only day that was a yellow flag (oh, and did the hobby cat ride on that day too, the nautical centre staff were very pleasant). I never saw that much weed before on the beach, and i was disappointed that they did not clean the beach (they did at the empty melia next door), but c'est la vie! I am not a beach chair person anyway, I am a walker, so it did not overly affect me (wild beaches are never cleaned!).

The pools are also gorgeous. I am not a pool person, but I like to chill at the pool at the end of the day. On the family side, they have activities and the animation team is pretty good. They found out I could dance a bit of salsa on my very first day, then I never ran out of dance partners (thank you, Theo and Skeepy). The pool bar staff was also very kind, always a smile and a bit of conversation.

For the food, well. it's Cuba! it's actually pretty good for an all inclusive in Cuba (not as great as the melia next door). Lots of choices, unfortunately, too much salt as usual. There was only one buffet, so you had to be a bit patient because you had to wait at the hot stations, but the service was great. One morning, one of the waiter forgot me, and he was so apologetic (and i was not upset, things happen!)... He was there every morning after that, getting me a table and my drinks right away, with a smile. I only went to one a la carte restaurant (the italian). My choice was ok, but my companions did not enjoy theirs. There are a lot of options for lunch: buffet, beach restaurant, paninis at the beach, of course the 24 hours beer garden (they have bottle beers like Corona and pretty decent fast food and fast service), the pizzeria etc... Like i said, lots of choice.

I loved the lobby bar. There was always something happening there in the evening, and i have to say, it's my most positive point for that resort. There's always music. Around 6 ish, there's a jazz trio or sax player. Around 8pm, the cuban house band (dancing time!) followed by the show (which i usually don't watch, but i did for the Cuban night and I was impressed: live band on stage and the dancers were amazing, for a whole hour!). The house band plays again after the show, and after again, the trio or sax player. It sure beats sitting there just drinking. I really appreciate the effort the hotel put into entertaining their guests (oh, and kuddos for featuring so much cuban music. I was happy I did not have to suffer every night through some north american musical retrospective). There's no disco (not a big disappointement for me, I am past the disco age), but for 5 pesos you can go at the Pueblo disco (which I did twice with some people I met at the hotel), but the music was north american and it was just not my thing).

I have to mention the Lobby Bar staff. All of them. Royal service all week long. Smiles included. They greeted me by name from the second day. I do tip, I know, but I do not think tipping has anything to do with it. I have seen people waving money at the bartenders but being rude and they were not treated any differently than people who did not tip. I sat with a group of europeans one night (they did not tip, it's just not in their habits), they were lovely people and were served with a smile all evening. Special mention to Daerys, Jesus and my personal favourite, Hanoy. Great people.

There's a lot to like about this hotel. A lot of the people who are disappointed are because of it's location. It's not for you if you are looking to party into town or do some exploring. it's a beach retreat, it could be anywhere in the world. But thanks to the management, there's a cuban flavour to it (keep up with the musicians please, very nice touch). The staff is the kindest I ever encounter in all my travel anywhere in the world. And I was not harassed at all (a first!). Nobody asked me for my things, nobody came knocking at my door in the middle of the night (don't laugh, it happened a lot to me in the past as i travel solo quite a bit). Granted, I am no spring chicken (i am in my forties) but it never stopped anything before. So I felt quite comfortable all week.

Basically, I was looking for peace and quiet...which I got during the days. At night, there was the dancing and I was lucky that there was a nice group of people at the hotel during my stay (I speak both english and french, and met people from Ontario and Quebec mainly, but also from Spain, Italy and even some Cubans). The lobby was civilized most of the time as the youngest and rowdiest crowd tend to hang at the beer garden at night. So a great time overall. (Oh yes, to the people who got drunk and stole and crashed the golf cart on the tree at the buffet: that was not cool. Made me ashamed to be from Quebec).

I will finish with this as it's not part of the hotel review. If you like nature and waterfall, and you are not afraid of walking, the Topes de Collantes forest adventure is really worth the over 3 hours drive to get there. I wanted to do this for year, and i was glad it was offered as I did not feel like spending an entire day in the catamaran (I get bored), go to Santa Clara (I have been there).

I do not know if I will return soon, as i am planning on going back to trinidad next. But next time i travel with my teenage son, this is where i will bring him. An all inclusive resort on an isolated island is really like a vacation camp, but this is a very nice vacation camp :-) Hope i will return.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
11 Thank crimsonsoda
Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

My niece got married in March 2009 - we had the time of our lives. The food, the wedding, the grounds, the rooms- the service and the staff were next to none. The only complaint is it's size - I am used to resorts half this size but it would not stop me from returning- it took awhile to orientate ourselves but a different room may have been the answer- but no big deal.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a room closer to the beach and lobby.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank capersky
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This was my third trip to Cuba. I was excited to book a 5 star resort. Only to be disappointed and would rate it at most 3.5. Let me start off with the resort itself. Its a beautiful resort. The beach was great. Only complaint, seaweed everywhere. The biggest complaint I would have is the service we recieved from the front desk - not very accommodating at all. It took half a day to find a room that was not moldy, smokey or crawling with bugs. In the end we ended up in a room that was fairly good, but still had a big whole up in the corner ceiling of the room above the night table (room 5524). As for the food. It was OK. Had better at other Cuban resorts. Need to watch what you eat. Some food didn't sit well with me. My favourite food was at the grill, near the beach beside the beer tent. Let me start with the Grill. Great service from the waitress. Very friendly and didn't mind going the extra miles. I believe her name is Yami. If you like fish. Try the Freshly Grill Red Snapper. It was Fantastic! Now, back to the beer tent. The service there is very SLOW, they would make eye contact with you and move on. The food was not always fresh. If you ordered fries it came to you like fries that was cooked, left out and reheated. The burgers were not so great either. We avoided the beer tent after 2-3 days off bad services. Lets talk about The a La Carte. My favourite, the Seafood Restuarant. Lobster was cooked beautifully. Unlike the ones we had at the Marina that was included with the Catamaran tour. It was like chewing on rubber (too over cooked). But, the Catamaran tour itself was great. The staff was excellent. The snorkeling was not the greatest due to weather. It was a windy day so the waves were pretty aggressive. The dolphin encounter was fun. but we didn't get to swim with them, unlike other resort packages that include swimming with the dolphins for the same value. The Italian Resturant was very nice as well. We were so full, we did not order the main entree. But the atmosphere was pleasant in the all the resturants and throughout the resort. Overall, we got what we came for. A chance to relax and enjoy the sun and the ocean with our friends. Even through our rooms were at the opposite end of the resort ( again due to the service we got at the front desk). If you ask me, would I recommend this resort. I would have to say NO! What I'm about to tell you is why my answer is no. I got caught 3 times walking to my room while a truck would drive by you, forcing you to move out of the way, while they fumigate. Leaving you in the midst of the gas they just released. NO WARNING AT ALL! Melia Las Dunas is NOT a 5 star resort. Its a nice place to go, if you are not expecting a 5 star treatment. If you are looking to go to a 5 star resort and all that it offers, this resort is not for you.

Room Tip: Found most rooms on the lower floor smell moldy. More air circulations on the second floor. First ro...
4 Thank S K
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Overall a good resort for what you pay.The beach was great The staff was friendly and the food was OK for Cuba.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank w8tup4me
Deer Lake, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We travelled to Melia Las Dunas from Nov 12 - Nov 19. The check in was very easy ( on the bus) , the food was great , the pool was beautiful. There was lots of seaweed on the beach probably because the winds and waves were so high. The smell at the swim up bar was horrible and you could even smell it on your hands after you picked up your drink! The resort is very large , I prefer a smaller resort, but it was easy to navigate and there were always trolleys to pick you up. At least once a day, a small truck would drive around the resort and spray for pest control! It emitted a strong smelling ? smoke that smelled like burning rubber. It took minutes to clear and you could honestly not see a hand in front of your face when it went by. Not nice. We had to call for beverages to be restocked in our fridge. I was bothered by a few things probably because Air Canada failed to deliver our luggage and we were a full week with only our carry on baggage. The resort was aware but did nothing to help. Very few things to buy in the shop unless you were a size 4.
It was probably the nicest resort I have stayed in while in Cuba ( this is our 4th trip) with the best food, but because of the luggage situation, I was glad to leave.