“Special Vacation”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Stewiacke NS
“Special Vacation”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

What a great place to visit. Everyone was so nice. The service was great, and special thanks to Yireni at the Panio Bar, Manual and Andiery at the International Buffet. Food was good, and the hotel grounds are beautiful. The water and beach is very nice. Its hard to know where you want to be at the beach or at the great pools. This was my second visit and was better than the first. This place just keeps getting better. We had room 4526 and up stairs room and was very nice. Can't wait to return. Will be back with friends in the spring and or the fall.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank John O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,335)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
kent
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at the MLD at the end of October 2011, a party of 12 (67 - 3 years), and throughly enjoyed our stay, it was our first time to Cuba but will definately go again.

Flew with Thompsons from London, flight out there were only 78 people on board, this was heaven, flight back was full, but staff were still very good and we had plenty of space (premium cabin).

The transfer to the hotel is quite long, but it seemed to go pretty fast, although the causeway out to the cayos goes on forever!

The hotel was very nice, I did'nt expect it to be amazing as this is Cuba, and it would be unfair to compare it to an equal star rating in Europe. We always found the public areas very clean and the grounds are lovely, the staff obviously work very hard. We did'nt manage to book any of the resturants, but the buffet suited are large group, I have to say that the food was always hot and served by very happy freindy people, we never had to wait for drinks or cutlery and all the waiting staff were great, the resort was quiet so maybe this is why?

The pool bar, beach, lobby bar and the beer garden, again great service, and we were served some premium brands at no extra cost, my only small complaint with the lobby bar is that on a couple of occasions we were served drinks in plastic cups! We were told that they were waiting for new supplies, it was'nt a major issue but......

We upgraded two of our rooms before we left, as I wanted interconnecting rooms (teenage daughters!) and these were far better than the standard rooms, very light and airy, so if rooms are important then it is well worth the extra 25cuc per night.

Overall we had a lovely trip, the Cuban people are charming, and unlike other reviewers, we did'nt feel the need to tip all the time in order to get good service, the service was the same whether we tipped or not. If you are looking for a relaxing away from it all holiday with lovely people and a fantastic beach, then you can't go far wrong!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank dargankent
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Ok...I heard before "You get what you pay for"; well I would never pay for the following if I had known:
1) Large black fast bugs in bed (first night found the beds infested with bugs)
2) Slow bag delivery (2.5 hours to have bags brought to room)
3) Musty smelling rooms
3) broken shower heads (bathroom fixtures were all broken and falling off wall; in both rooms; we changed due to the bugs and musty smell)
4) intermittent electric (lights in our cell block would be sometimes be turned off at night, meaning you had to stumble around at 11 PM to find your way out. Felt like I was camping.
5) Blood on pillows (After a nights sleep our pillow cover was pulled back, revealing a old blood stain the size of your hand)
6) High chairs full of cockroaches (the beach buffet had high chairs with cloth covering; we found out after placing our daughter in on that they were infested when I noticed one crawling on her and I pulled back the cover only to find a nest. employyess were not concerned and did not attempt to clean the chair until I complained)
7) No first aid kit for the entire complex!!!!! ( My daughter cut her foot just minor. Went to front desk for a bandade...only to find out that the hotel HAS NO MINOR FIRST AID KIT!!! They said I could go to the hospital or take a cab to a store and buy one)
8) Grounds/walk ways were in need of repair
9) Open electrical boxes (Found a toddler that was playing with my daugther putting his fingers into one of the many open electrical boxes found in the complex; used for lighting and fountain water pumps)
10) money stolen from wallet ( 99% my fault as I should have never left my wallet in my rrom for 1.5 hours. Exactly when cleaning staff cleaned our room. Front desk did not care....)
11) Faulty AC (Both rooms we had never had a AC unit that worked; it had two settings OFF or FREEZZING.
12) BAD FOOD (Very poor quality food such as canned vegtables and low quality meats, I expected lots of fish but there was not much of anything, unless you like pasta and weiners. If there was anything good put out there was a long line and it went faster than the other food. And don't go late to the buffet. They do not restock the food 1 hour before closing, thus you are not left with much option. And bring something for the bathroom blues....
13) Animals inside buffet (THe beach buffet had cats roaming for food all the time and birds that would swoop down by the dozen and attack the bread plate. One wonen at the buffet was pooped on. Not nice.
14) Supporting a SOCIALIST CONTROLLING GOVERNMENT (I thought the resorts were privately owned and operated; when I asked the front desk who owned the resorts my answer was the Cuba Government. Thus all profits go to support this socialist nightmare. no thanks. Maybe ok if ytou vote NDP or Liberial.

For the last reason alone....I will never return to Cuba, let alone this 1 star resort.

It was one of the cheaper resorts, however we still paid too much; and is NOT a 4 star as Air Canada said it was...far from it.

Room Tip: LOCATION LOCATION!!! THer resort is not layed out very well. If your not centrally located, you may...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Jason R
Wirral
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Fantastic sea and beaches here - changed our top three now to:
(1) Cayo Santa Maria
(2) Kuta beach, Bali
(3) Galle, Sri Lanka
There are fish that swim around you as soon as you enter the water and you really can see your feet! The sand isn't even hot because it is that white it reflects the sun!
The Melia hotel - well I found it was very large and spread out, however, there are fab golf buggies available to run you round wherever you wish to go and actually by the end of your dtay you are familier with your surroundings and it doesnt seem so big anymore. The rooms were fab - very spacious and comfortable and the maid was excellent!
We only used one of the pools but it was brilliant and had great service at the swim up bar - we even took our ipod and dock down there and plugged it in to boogie in the water while chatting and drinking the afternoons away.
We met fab people - those who worked there and also made friends with people from England and Canada. There are a wide range of trips to go on too - important to do something cultural if you are that way inclined - it is a long way to go for a hot beach if you are not doing anything else!
Generally a very pleasent stay - downside?? Unfortunatley, yes! The food - the individual resturants were quite good - everyones fav was the Mexican although it was almost too hot to enjoy as there was no air con. . The buffet returant let the hotel down - trying to please too many people by having too much choice - also failed to label most things and I am always very wary of food that is covered in any kind of sauce. . . . . . the good side was that you could ALWAYS have fresh meat or fish cooked in front of you, no sign of much traditional food and hardly ever attempted curries or spicy food in the buffet. . . ?
We did not take our children who would have loved the ice cream parlour!
We saw amazing wildlife - bullfrogs, humming bird, king crab etc too - great for photography.
We were also in a party that had a wedding vow renewel which was an amazing day too!
Would we go back? Hmmm, difficult - maybe not to the Cayo's but would like to see a different side of Cuba?
We would reccommend to go with open hearts and minds and some pringles in your suitcases XX

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Evietoniann
london
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Just a quick note about this hotel
Thservice in this hotel was the worst I have ever experienced in all my years of travelling
the food service staff with only 1 or 2 exceptions were lazy and could not care less about keeping the customer happy

the service in the buffet restaurant was a matter of hunt for the cuttlery or condiments or ask a waiter and then be ignored for 10 minutes and go and find the things yourself

IF you liked cold food that was meant to hot this was the place to go!
The bar service was not any better with the staff frequently ignoring you and serving other people not once in 2 weeks did we see a table being wiped and indeed on 1 time a baby was sick on the floor ner us and my wife informed a member of staff and it was still there an1 hour later
i even spoke to one of the so called managers about the bad service and he could only say that these were training issues and offered bookings for the speciality restaurants which were informed by many other guests were equally as bad
I would not recomend this hotel to anyone unless you want appaling service and badly cooked food

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank aylesford
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Just got back from a one week stay at mld, oct 29 nov 5. First and foremost upgrade your room from standard to superior befor you leave if nothing else, are first room was in block 53 ground floor rooms even though we had requested 2nd floor befor going, we were traveling with another couple and had are teenage boys booked into their own room, in total we had 3 dumpy dirty broken down bug infested moldy cigar stinking rooms! Needless to say I spoke to front desk immediately about being moved but they could not do anything till morning so I spent first night sitting in a chair I was not getting in that bed no way no how, the door in one room had no lock, the other room had a broken safe, other room had broken shower head. Next morn first thing we wen't to desk to get rooms fixed and of course they did not have 3 rooms in the same block unless we paid to upgrade what a surprise! Even though we had booked months in advance they just simply didn't care so 500 dollars Canadian later we went to block 47 rooms 21 22 24 what a difference an upgrade makes even the toilet paper in this room was better we had a view of the ocean, room was clean,bright balcony with table and chair it was a complete 360 from the standard room so do yourself a favor and upgrade your room. That being said you make your vacation and we had a fabulous time. food was plentiful although boring after a couple of days, beach was nice but covered in stinky seaweed the whole week never cleaned but we enjoyed the warm water and swimming in the waves,local drinks were plentiful but you had to pay extra for premium alcohol, we were only able to book one a la carte even though we were entitled to 4 and the man booking restaurants was not at all helpful we figured out on are own that the restaurants were only working at half capacity some were being renovated and others were simply closed and because we spent first morning changing the rooms we missed out on booking restaurants tough luck yet again! But we ate at buffet and it was fine just repetitive. Adult relax pool was very nice went to play ball in activity pool with boys to find they had drained it to fix broken tiles that every one had been complaining about in past reviews so good news is pool is fixed but sucked for our boys since they had no pool for activities and beach was red flag every day of our trip so we allowed them to play ball in adult pool, sorry if this interrupted anyone's sleep but we were not told the pool would be drained during our stay. All and all it appears we went mld during the clean up and repair week Befor busy season starts this is fine had we known about this befor booking and we could have made a choice to stay under these circumstances but we were not given this choice. Last thoughts on mld te resort is ok not a 4 star not bad but not great just ok we had a fun relaxing vaca because WE made it fun not the resort,we won't return this resort for above mentioned reasons and many more that I didn't write about just to long already just remember count on yourself to make your vacation fun.AND UPGRADE YOUR ROOM!!!

Room Tip: 2nd floor room block 47 upgrade
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sheena A
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We have been to Cuba 10 times, 3 times in Santa Clara, and found this facility to be one of the best they have. It was a special treat to get your wristbands and rooms assigned on the bus so you do not have to worry about checking in, everything is taken care of for you! What a difference that makes.

We absolutely loved the food at this resort. The buffet had something for everyone. They had a fried rice station, a pizza station, a sushi station, fresh fish station, pasta station and so many others. There was so much to choose from. My favourite was dessert ( banana flambe) :).. We went to the Italian restaurant and had lasagna my husband a steak and it was great. We also had an anniversary dinner planned for us which was very thoughtful and romanitic. We also got a special invitation for a VIP cocktail from the general management in which we had the opportunity to meet the manager of Melia Las Dunas, this was a nice touch. Forgot to mention the Beer Garden which offered a wide variety of brand name beer in bottles and cans, and you could even grab a bite to eat there!

We love the Ocean and so the beach was fantastic for us! I walked for miles on it every morning, and took dance classes on the beach as well (so much fun!). The water is so clear! The sand is white and stretches for miles and the water is warm. There are plenty of loungers available both on the beach and at the pools, so finding one was never an issue.

All the staff were amazing. The entertainment was great- fashion shows- sax player- band etc were great. We had so much fun with many of the staff in the lobby bar and the buffet restaurant. Claudia, Edward, Jesus were the best...............and I would like to give a special thank you to Miriela Pombal, the sales assistant at Melia Las Dunas, for making this vacation and our anniversary wonderful.

We stayed in block 39, on the second floor. It was close to the beach and everything else in the resort. The room was spotless and had everything we needed. The room was cleaned daily and our cleaning lady went above and beyond for us.The grounds are well kept with beautiful and lush gardens everywhere.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely return to Melia Las Dunas!

Margaret & Jack from Toronto