“Ammenities and Food” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cayo Santa Maria

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Vancouver, Canada
“Ammenities and Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

At Eurostars for 7 days. Water a big problem. For three out of the seven days we had hot and cold water. The other days we would have hot water no cold water and vice versa. Food was cold. Did not have one hot meal the whole week. I would not reccomend Eurostars to anyone. The food on the Sunwing lfight ws disgusting. We had family members stay at The Royalton. They would go back again to the Royalton and reccomend The Royalton to anyone. They were there the week before us so could not get their feedback which was too bad.

6 Thank M H
Sylvain L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Customer.
We regret that your stay at our hotel was not entirely pleasant.
We are aware that we need to improve some specific areas on which we are working every day.
We just want our customers holidays will be remembered with a smile.
We can assure that your trip to our hotel, checked the improvements made.
Until then, thank you for choosing our Eurostars chain.
Director Alojamiento

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in January with my boyfriend and two other couples. This place is amazing for the price! I am shocked at some of the terrible reviews from people! We had such a great time here! Granted it is still new so they did have a few kinks to work out like lack of sports equipment but that is a MINOR issue. I would just suggest for people to bring their own stuff like a frisbee or a volleyball.

We paid an extra $20 to upgrade to an ocean view room, which was well worth it! Our rooms were clean and stocked daily.

The food at the resort was a bit plain so I would recommend bringing hot sauce, peanut butter and ketchup. However, the breakfast was amazing, fresh omelettes or eggs the way you like them and cappuccinos too! The dining and bar staff were all friendly and accommodating. Great service from all of them! My boyfriend and I watched the super bowl at the bar in the main lobby, which was a ton of fun. The bartenders were amazing, our drinks were never empty!

I encourage you to do the catamaran tour, which included a dolphin experience and a great Lobster lunch! Also, take a catamaran ride at the resort with Joe-Louis, who has been sailing for 26 years. It's free but I encourage you to tip him.

The beach is great, it's private away from the rest of the resorts. We had no problems getting beach or pool chairs. The beach bar staff were the best! They do drink service on the beach! Mario was one of the bartenders who brought us our drinks everyday, such great service!

Make sure to stop by the beach grill on Tuesdays as the boys serve up fresh coconuts with rum, coconut liquor or au natural! These guys are a lot of fun!

Overall my friends and I had a great time! We would definitely return! I would like to give a big Thank you to all the staff at this resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow #5, on the third floor which was very private and gave a great ocean view! If...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jordy R
Dear Customer.:
We would love to welcome you again in our hotel.
We continue to make changes that we hope will improve our services and facilities.
Thanks for your feedback.
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was a new hotel when we went back in November. It is gorgeous. The grounds are so lush and the rooms are nice and clean. The food was ok, but the grill by the beach/lunch buffet was amazing. We had an amazing time here. The shows were in the disco and then after we all hit the dancefloor. The pools are so nice and very clean. Our room faced the ocean but we could only see partial if we looked right. If they trim the trees we would have a most beautiful view. I loved Santa Maria. It was so peaceful and relaxing. The only thing I really will complain about are the bugs. Not ants, or anything bigger. I think they were those bugs you get on the beach but dont feel it till a while later. I got a tonne of bites on the bottom half of my legs/feet. I didn't bring enough bug spray and allergy pills and these bites were so itchy. If I knew that they would do something about the bugs. I would be back in this area at least once a year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank linjon2003
Dear Gest.:
Your comments help us to keep on working day by day improving our services and achieve the Eurostars standards of quality and we hope you give us the opportunity in the near future to see by yourself our improvements.
Yours sincerely.
Director Alojamiento.
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just came back from a week at Eurostar CSM Feb 8-15 and as others have said manage your expectations. This is a poor communist country that doesn't have all the amenities that we have at home. If you go in with your eyes wide open, you should have a decent holiday for the money you paid. We too had read the reviews from the Christmas break but since we had been to Cuba before we knew some were overblown.

Check in was a breeze and even when we wanted to switch our room through no fault of the hotels they were able to do so in a relatively short time. We had booked a double but instead wanted a king with ocean view which they were able to accommodate.

Nobody comes to Cuba for the food but if you are looking for a decent meal the beach grill is great, worth the short wait in line. For the main buffet we noticed that they had opened up the right side kitchen/dining area and headed there where there were no line ups for the a la carte stations and the wait staff were attentive. Don't follow the sheep to the left side, stay on the right. The a la cartes offer some variety, we tried all four with the Creole and Mediterranean our favourites.

We did have an incident where there was no water for 24hours but the good folks at Nolitours reimbursed us $100 CDN for our inconvenience. I don't think any other travel group did that. The hotel left a letter of apology in our rooms the next day explaining that it was an island wide outage due to construction not just regulated to our hotel. Even after the incident when we would come back from the beach there were a couple of times where there would be no water and then in 20 minutes it would be back up, just be prepared for these inconveniences and be patient.

The make up of the hotel guests are 90% French Canadian, 1% Italian, 9% English Canadian. Now I have a lot of French Canadian friends with beautiful manners but I don't know what part of QC some of these folks were from. Standing in line at the beach grill a FC woman nearly toppled me over to get in line and then when she got to the grill threw her plate down with a bang on the table for the grill master to fill her plate. Raised in a barn. This was the norm throughout the week so if you do not have a high tolerance for rudeness avoid this resort.

The beach is gorgeous and with waves or without very easy to swim. We took the kayak out one afternoon and it was brilliant. The water is 100 shades of blue and so clear. If you want cover you will have to wake up at 7am to put your towel on the chairs to reserve. They really need more cover it does get hot out there. Past the equipment area is the quieter side while in front of the beach bar is the livelier area. There are two other areas by the pool and in front of block 8-10 that are also quiet but are quite rocky but with no waiter service.

The staff is great, they really are working their butts off. We saw nothing but smiling faces (except for the towel guy, grumpy, grumpy) and by the end of our trip our regulars knew our likes so our usuals were ordered on sight. They really do want you to have a good time. The shows are amazing, they really put a lot of work into them and the dancing is incredible...their hips don't lie.

All in all, we had a good vacation but we knew what to expect. We really just wanted a place where we could lie on the beach without too much commotion for a low/reasonable price and that is what we got.

Room Tip: Block 10 is by the pool and the buffets.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
18 Thank joanna1971
Dear Customer.
We want to first thank you would have chosen for your holidays in Cayo Santa Maria.
We are a young team in training, but eager to turn our property into a hotel with high satisfaction for our customers.
We regret any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay.
We are working to correct errors and meet the standards of our chain Eurostars asap.
We would like to have you here again, and so to show our improvements.
Thank you very much for your feedback which will help us improve.
Cordially

St. Catharines, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

This was my first trip to Cuba and I will not hurry to go back. For a country that has such a requirement of the tourist industry, the Eurostar is not a good representation of the quality of service or accommodation Cuba has to offer. The people were friendly but slow to provide customer service, empty drinks were often ignored for a long period of time and that was the most enjoyable part of the experience ( and I am not a seasoned drinker of alcohol) we made at least 5 requests for coffee for our coffeemaker for morning coffee, the food was poor at best, there were a couple of grills where you could get at least warm food, the 2 a la carte restaurants we attended had poor cold food also. I know they are a new resort but they need a lot of work to get up to average.

1 Thank Sue G
We will communicate our entire team his congratulations.
We continue to work to improve and hope to meet again in the hotel next year (or sooner).
Thanks again for your kind comment.

Fall River, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband, children and I are just back from a week's vacation at Eurostars CSM. We booked the vacation very early in January and as the weeks went on I was horrified by the reviews being posted and wondered if I should try and switch to Melia Las Dunas where we stayed in 2013 and loved every minute of it - I was persuaded by my husband not to try and change hotels and I am so glad we didn't.

Our flight from Halifax was delayed by 3 hours and it ended up being a 5 hour flight due to headwinds so we didn't arrive at the hotel until 3pm. This worked to our advantage as our rooms were ready and check in lasted all of 5 minutes. As we were checking in a waiter arrived with a cool refreshing glass of juice for us which was a nice touch. We picked up our keys and wandered off to find our room. We were given 2 adjacent rooms in Block 1 (104 and 105) the door for 104 fronted onto a little path and for 105 was set back in an alcove which leads me to the only complaint I have about our vacation - mosquitoes!

Mosquitoes would gather in the alcove outside our room as it was protected from whatever wind/breeze there was and as a result we ended up with a daily quota of 4 or 5 mosquitoes in the room. Unfortunately it seemed they liked me and I ended up with a total of 37 mosquitoe bites and some kind of allergy which left me with puffy eyes and cold-type symptoms for the week. TIP - bring plenty of bug repellent and even a can of RAID or something like that for your room, may also be worth bringing some antihistamines and calamine lotion. Other than that the rooms were modern and very spacious, we had satellite tv, plenty of towels, a stocked minibar and AC - what more could you want? Our rooms were cleaned between 9 and 11 every morning and towels replaced as necessary - we have no issues with ants etc. even though we were on the ground floor.

We never bothered with booking a la cartes - we had done some in Melia Las Dunas the previous year and to be honest weren't impressed then so we decided we just wouldn't bother this year. We found the buffet to be very good - there wasn't a day went by that we couldn't find something substantial to eat, the service was excellent and we never waited more than 5 minutes for either the food stations. The 24 hour snack bar by the pools was very nice, as was the other one up next to the kids pool and beach - the bbq chicken was fantastic and the servers were very nice - especially Raisa who looked after us very well.

Servers at the lobby bar were lovely, especially Lauren and Sonia who would watch out for us coming and would be over with our coffees just after we had sat down, and it is so nice to have bar service in the evenings - all our servers were very attentive.

Evening entertainment was good - one night we had a band with live rock music, a couple of dance shows (flamenco/cuban etc) and the Michael Jackson night was absolutely fantastic! It would be nice if the entertainment staff tried more of this type of theme night rather than singing/dancing shows which can get a bit repetitive over the course of a week.

The only other complaints I have are not to do with the property but with actual guests who unfortunately were from Quebec - For Men - you may feel that you are an Adonis kind of guy but in reality you are in your 50's with an extremely large belly and quite a few flab rolls therefore please put a shirt on when you come into the buffet for breakfast/lunch, it really is very rude and disrespectful! For Ladies - when there is a line up for a food station you take your place at the end and wait your turn, not try and barge in at the top jabbering away in French and casting disparaging looks at everyone else who happens to be patient enough to wait their turn! Also, should you wish to ask another guest a question perhaps you should say "Do you speak English" rather than deliver the "Do you speak French" in perfect English - it might actually get you the answer you were looking for!

All in all we had a really nice vacation at this resort, and will definitely make this our top choice for Cayo Santa Maria

Room Tip: Block 1 and 10 are 1 minute's walking distance from the main pool and buffet areas. Bring some...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank LisaNewman39
Dear Customer.:
We would love to welcome you again in our hotel.
Thanks for your feedback.
Director alojamiento
Niagara
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Before I left I was really hoping that some of the reviews were wrong but they're not. This was not my first visit to Cuba and won't be my last. Every beach I've been to is amazing and the people are warm and welcoming. Compared to other Cuban hotels this place still needs a lot of work and someone to take responsibility. Saying "We're in Cuba" is not an excuse when the other hotels here get good reviews, it's this hotel!
Simple things are missing that would make a big difference. NOT SPRAYING INSECTICIDE on paths when people are on them; a sign showing the schedules for when you could pick up a clean beach towel, a clock with local time (4 clocks in the lobby all with different times, none local), could put a few palapas on the smaller beaches, there was a coffee maker in the room but I couldn't get any coffee (or tea) and they kept running out of things including some foods, liquor and pesos.
The rooms were clean but my bed was never properly made, clean towels (often thread bare) were left almost every day (not the last day). Mini bar was always restocked with water and beer but not coffee or tea. Leaving daily gifts and tips didn't make any difference.
The buffet was okay if you like soup and a sandwich (make your own panini). The best was lunch at the beach grill, always crowded and always a long line.
In all fairness when the water went out, it was the whole area not just the Eurostars. I have to wonder if infrastructure is capable of handling the number of hotels here.
Personally I love going to Cuba and can't wait for my next visit, it just won't be to the Eurostars.

Room Tip: If you like the beach, get block 11 or higher or else it's a long walk. You're also closer t...
5 Thank Tina D
Dear Customer.
We regret that your stay at our hotel was not entirely pleasant.
We just want our customers holidays will be remembered with a smile.
We can assure that your trip to our hotel, checked the improvements made.
Until then, thank you for choosing our Eurostars chain.

Director Alojamiento