“Awesome Resort”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed March 5, 2014

My boyfriend and i traveled here and we had a blast !

it is a more of a relaxing resort ( aduts only ) we are in our mid 20s and we loved the relaxing pools, and if we wanted to party we went to the resort beside it to party !
the resort is very clean with welcoming staff !!

we had no problems and would return for sure !!

1  Thank Ashley P
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Ashley P,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for choosing our hotel in Cayo Santa Maria.

We will share your beautiful comments with our staff and we hope to see you very soon in your cuban home, Royalton cayo Santa Maria,

There are newer reviews for Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We had 5 nights here. Lovely located hotel, beautiful gardens & our room was very comfortable - Garden room in block 5 - patio doors didn't lock & we had bath robes with no belts but didn't matter. Beach is beautiful, very clean & the guys that work on the beach & in the beach bar are excellent - good at their jobs & very friendly.
The disappointment comes from the food, restaurants & service -
we arrived early afternoon so had a late lunch only to be told that our "allocation" for dinner was for 5.30pm & it was impossible to change - we were told by 1 of our "Butlers" that later times were already given to current guests. We did not expect to be told which restaurant we were to eat in, & certainly not the time. On speaking to the Manager he said it was fine to change times & said the reason they did this was they didn't want guests waiting - our experience over 5 nights was that this would t be a problem - always many empty tables in all the restaurants, & staff with spare time. The same food is served in all 3 restaurants - & the choice isn't huge - we didn't really want to eat Italian food (poorly cooked) 2 nights out of 5 - would have liked much more Cuban food
Breakfast though is the biggest problem - very badly run - tables not fully laid up, LONG waits for coffee to be brought by 1 person, then another LONG wait for someone to bring orange juice, then another LONG wait for the menus....& on & on & on - the self service bit was ok, but staff again VERY SLOW to refill empty dishes etc After a few days the poor service wears you down - Its not as if the staff have too much to do.
Our conclusion is that the staff here have an expectation of being tipped at every opportunity - tipped for a table, tipped for a menu , etc - really for doing (or not doing) their job - whereas we would expect to tip for good service - which we did with the lady who cleaned our room.
This is a new hotel, well looked after, good gardens, lovely beach but let down by its extremely poor service. Such a shame.

20  Thank WiltshireWhisperer
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear guest,

We are very sorry if you didnt enjoy your stay with us, but from the first moment the management was looking after you and you told us that everything was to your satisfaction..
Our a la carta restaurant reservation are always pre-booked and if you want to modify it you can do it with your butler. You dont need to tip, that is not mandatory.
Moreover we are very surprised with your review and the rate that you gave to us, because you were celebrating your anniversary and from the first day we had a bottle of cava in your room, special sign in your door giving you a warm welcome and all our staff were at your disposal.

We would like to see you here again in order to welcome you personally and to show you the reallity of our 5 star hotel, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My fiancé and I travelled to Royalton CSM, last year when the resort was still fairly new. Judging by the reviews, Royalton has kept up it's immaculate service and is maintaining to be the best resort we've been too thus, between DR and CUBA. Here is a break down of what made Royalton an amazing and memorable experience. But before hand, here is a little on us, so you can get an idea of why we loved this resort; a young couple in our 20's, we vacation for the sole purpose of rest and relaxation - not to party. we vacation for the beach first, everything else follows.

Food - This was our first trip to Cuba and we did not know what to expect because of all the feedback we were given prior to our arrival. To our surprise, we enjoyed the food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and never got tired of the selections on the resort. The quality was there, and everything had lots of flavor! We also ate at the Pizza and Asian house in the Puebla and found them very yummy. We are foodies at heart, and found nothing to be disappointing.

Service - The service overall at the resort is fantastic; this goes from the much highlighted butler service, chamber maids, bar tenders, chefs, waiters/waitresses, entertainment staff and management. They truly make the effort to ensure that your stay is smooth and enjoyable. We had minor hiccups along the way but when I brought the problem to there attention they were quick on finding us a solution and step above and beyond to do extra that we would never expect; ie. our butler set-up a hot bubble bath, filled with rose petals and champagne on one our evenings due to a small misunderstanding.

Beach - Beautiful. Amazing. Serene. Everything that makes a beach relaxing and calming! Even though there aren't palm trees, Royalton as an amazing part of the beach on Cayo Santa Maria and we found it to be BY FAR better then Punta Cana, DR.

Resort - Modern, up to date, well maintained.

I've left the Resort and Beach to a minimum because everyone seems to have the same comment or mutual connection that the Resort and Beach is beautiful, well kept, up to date, and clean - so there isn't a point in repeating things other people have already noted!

Special thanks to Julie (the Manager), Omar (the other Manager), Alex (our butler) for making our stay so memorable and amazing! My fiancé and I loved it, my future in-laws loved it so much that they're coming back again this year!

We will certainly be returning again! But until then, we will extend our greetings through our in-laws who will be at your resort in April.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Ozzie A
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Ozzie A,

Thank you very much for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts and for choosing our resort in Cuba, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

We are very happy reading that you had a nice experience with us and you come back in April. Wow!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Royalton made you feel special from the moment you arrived off the bus.

We actually had tears in our eyes as the bus pulled away from the lobby and seeing the staff wave us off with their hands over their hearts as we left for a trip back home.

FOOD - Excellent (only one improvement could be to get rid of those hash browns and use real fresh cut potatoes.

POOLS - Clean, warm. Pool guy does a great job cleaning the pool and scrubbing the lounge chairs.

BEACH - Best we have seen in Cuba.

BUTLERS - Lionel and Aldo are great guys and it was a pleasure to have them for the week. They just added to an already fantastic vacation!

STAFF - Absolutely outstanding staff. Migel and Mateau (Not sure of spelling) are always present and always working hard to make sure your stay is top notch. The waiters and waitress were such hard workers and always smiling.

ROOMS - Clean, spacious and I just loved that shower with that big rain shower head. We did find the pillows a bit flat and mentioned to our butler and that evening we had much better pillows.

GROUNDS - Beautiful doesn't even come close to describing it.

SECURITY GUARDS - Generally we wouldn't even consider to comment on such a thing but we did notice several times that they do really look after the Royalton guests. On several occasions we did see them turn away people from coming in from other resorts. Very impressed to see them ask guests from other resorts to move from the lounge chairs on the beach in the Royalton section. Good job guys!

INTERNET - Horrible. It would be nice to provide a laptop with WIFI since it does work somewhat and the internet was a total fail.

BARTENDERS - Fantastic! The guy bringing the drinks on the beach to your lounger was amazing. Never stopped serving and always with a huge smile :)

Definitely would return to this resort! Loved it

11  Thank ksclarke44

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers on the internet and thank you for leaving such a nice comments of our staff.

Concerning the wifi, we would like to apologize if you couldnt enter to the internet. As you know our hotel is offering 2 options to use internet. 2 computers which are situated at the main lobby and you can use the internet, and the WIFI service with the possibility to use it at the main lobby, both pools, snack bar and other areas around. The service is provided by an external company called Etecsa, and we are helping everyday to our guest explaining how to use it in order to keep the minutes and to surf on the internet properly.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

My sister and I stayed at the beautiful Royalton resort between Feb 10 and 17th. If I was to keep this review to 1 sentence only, I'd simply say “heaven on earth”. But since this place is seriously worth gushing over, I'll go on.

- First I would describe Royalton as a small adults only boutique resort. We loved it. If you’re looking for peace, quiet, and tranquility, you’ll find it here. With two gorgeous pools and one of the most beautiful beaches… your hardest decision everyday will be where to spread your towel :)

- We stayed on the ground floor of one of the bungalows; which means we had a nice view of greenery. It felt peaceful and private. We found our room to be spacious, clean, and very well appointed.

- The resort is situated next to a fabulous little market, where you can buy souvenirs, get fresh coconut water, or Cuban delicacy: freshly juiced sugar cane on ice. This market also has a bank where you can exchange your money, but keep in mind that the bank is only open Mon-Fri.

- The beach is simply gorgeous, with the softest sand ever; and the ocean was a perfect shade of turquoise blue. A lounge chair was always available for a Royalton member, any time of day… 9am or 2pm, shade or sun, it didn’t matter, there were always more chairs than users. The same can be said for the pools, plenty of chairs or cabanas to stretch out on.

- Royalton has three restaurants. Two are open for breakfast, one is open 24hours for snacking anytime… and all 3 are open for dinner. You butler will make your dinner reservations at the time and place you prefer. Even-though we had the option of visiting and dining at a neighboring resort, my sister and I opted not to. The food at Royalton was fresh and delicious, with more than enough variety to last us a week.

- The are 4 bars and they were never crowded; a seat could always be found at one. Although I must confess if we were at the beach or the pool, 95% of the time we took advantage of having refreshments come to us and not vice versa :) For a drink before dinner, The Piano bar at the main house was perfect… it reminded me of the bar at the Ritz-Carleton hotel in Toronto: classy, comfortable, relaxing.

I could go on and on, but I feel this review is getting out of hand :) So last but not least the staff at Royalton is top notch. Our butlers Ariel and Lester checked in with us daily, to ensure we enjoyed our stay and had all we needed. The ladies who tidied up our room, the entertainment staff, the bartenders, the gardeners, the wait staff, the maintenance team, the musicians, the performers, basically everyone who works at Royalton has a great big THANK YOU from us, for making us feel welcome and making our stay so fabulous.

If you’re looking for a perfect tropical getaway, look no further because Royalton is your paradise. I'm already thinking about my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank lucy358

Dear Lucy,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We spent 2 weeks at this resort and found the large majority of staff and the administration truly excellent and eager to please. It was our first trip and we travelled with Sunwing. Our accommodations were satisfactory but would request upper floor for sea view on next trip although our suite was certainly large enough and very pleasant with living area etc... The only disappointment was the loss of my Bobby Brown eye make-up ($400.) that was taken from the counter where I applied my lipstick prior to dinner reservations. I did not use any other make-up during first 5 days as the change of water gave me a rash and I didn't want to iritate my skin further but I still dumped my make-up case onto counter nightly to access lip pencil and lipsticks. This "loss" occurred between the hours of 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. while we dined. I always put my make-up back into case and into the cupboard in the morning before we left for the day. I was so upset when I discovered the loss ( day 6 )but did not notify management as I wasn't certain what night it was taken nor by whom. I knew people had entered the room as the bed was turned down 2 nights in a row until I put a stop to that (days 6/7). I probably shouldn't have left all that stuff in plain view and I certainly couldn't suffer loss of employment of several employees when perhaps only one had been culpable. However, I will not return as we were extremely generous with tips and I felt violated. It was ,nonetheless, a most beautiful spot but once burned, twice shy.
Caroline 013

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor balcony facing the sea./
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Caroline013

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your review and for trust in our company Royalton luxury resorts.
We are really sorry about the lost in your room but we dont understand why you didnt report this lost and why you dont want to come back to our hotel.

By the other nad thanks to said that our hotel is toally realixng and you found our Sunset Staff out of this world.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Cuba, second to Cayo Santa Maria, and first to the Royalton. Last year we stayed next door at the Memories Resort, and when we saw and heard about the Royalton, we knew this is where we wanted to go this year, and we weren't disappointed.

What an amazing resort, I give it five stars, and wish that I could give it more. We stayed from February 17th to the 24th, 2014, and must say that this was the best vacation we have ever had. The resort is very relaxing and quite, just what I'm looking for, if you are looking for a party place to go all night at, then this may not be the place for you. The resort is small with only 122 rooms. There are 3 restaurants, 2 pools, and 4 bars. None of the restaurants are buffets, all meals are a la carte, so there is never a line up anywhere.

The Lobby and 2 of the restaurants are located at the top of the resort (furthest from the beach) along with the Lobby bar (Cafe Royalton), a pool (and pool bar), and 6 cabanas that have 2 Royalton Suites each in them (12 of the 122 rooms). At the bottom of the resort are the 11 bungalows that have 10 rooms each (6 rooms on the ground floor and 4 rooms on the second floor) for the remaining 110 rooms. Here you will find the second pool and pool bar, the Sunset restaurant (24 hours), and lunch time BBQ. The forth bar is located at the beach. The resort is built on a bit of a hill but is relatively small in size compared to other resorts, so it is very easy to get around and everything feels very close.

The rooms in the bungalows were very nice and spacious. A thing to note about how the rooms are laid out is that all the balcony's from every room face towards the ocean, none are facing away. We were in room 1108 which was a king-size balcony with garden view, but we actually had a decent view of the ocean even though there was a row of bungalows in front of us.

The staff here are unbelievable! Our butlers, Yoloy and Frank took wonderful care of us and our needs and our maid Sandra kept our room spotless and was always friendly to talk with. The management were always approachable and friendly, and we had many pleasant conversations with Matthew and the General Manager Miguel, who you saw constantly around the resort making sure everything was perfect. The attention to detail that they all give is second to none.

The food, what can I say about the food. I have always said on my previous trips to Cuba that I don't go there for the food. I have never gone hungry in Cuba, and have never gotten sick from the food, but it was never anything to write home about. At the Royalton it was a completely different story. Perhaps it was due to there not being any buffets, so therefore everything was freshly made, but I think just overall the food quality was much higher than what we have experienced before. Breakfast at Eggcellence was a great way to start the day, the BBQ at lunch was always good and the diners at night always had great selections and variety.

This is a resort that we would definitely recommend to family and friends and it will be our primary destination from now on when we head south for our vacation...it is our Cuban home away from home!!!!!

We did one excursion during our visit, which was the speed boat. It was 39CUC per person and included going our on a catamaran to snorkel at a coral reef, then back to the marina to head out in small 2 person speed boats through the waterways. We really enjoyed and it and felt it was well worth the money.

Room Tip: For best views of the ocean, I would recommend the balcony rooms as due to the vegetation i doubt th...
9  Thank Jeremy D
Miguel D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Jeremy_Donovan,

First of all thank you for trust in our company Royalton Luxury resorts and thank you for choosing the first Royalton hotel in the world, Royalton Cayo Santa Maria.

It is a pleasure how you enjoyed your stay with us and you shared your beautiful experience with other travellers on the internet.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Las Dunas
Melia Las Dunas
#8 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!