“Royalton, we will return!”

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Dorval, Canada
“Royalton, we will return!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I travelled from July 19th to the 26th to the Royalton, Cayo Santa Maria. This was our 3rd visit to Cuba and definitely the best one ever!

We did not experience the easy check-in everyone else has reviewed. Unfortunately, our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel. That was a bit disappointing but waiting in the snack bar while enjoying a nice meal and wonderful drinks made the wait easier. Belky, kept guessing when we needed another beer or Mojito, she was wonderful! After, an hour and 45 minutes our Butler Yoldy came to pick us up to show us to our room. Our luggage was waiting there for us. The wait was worth it! The room was spotless, beautiful and what can we say about the ocean view!

Everything you have read in past reviews is actually true. The beach is absolutely perfect! No seaweed, no rocks, soft sand, sometimes wavy, sometimes calm...just absolute perfection. The food was for Cuban standards excellent. Yes, some days there are no bananas but we were able to survive!
We never ate the same thing twice and there are plenty of options. I loved not seeing plateful of wasted food left on tables after a buffet run...none of that at the Royalton. Try the BBQ by the second pool...awesome! Beach quesadillas were also great! And if your just a little hungry grab a sandwich at one of the bars...they have toaster grills by the second pool bar should you want to make yours a panini!

Having a butler service was quite helpful. Yoldy and Ariel we're very discreet but always available. If you need anything, they are there with a smile. We must of been asked 1000 times if we had everything or needed anything!

Like I have previously read, if you are grumpy and always in a rush don't go to Cuba! Leave these wonderfully warm kind hearted people to the rest of us!

We will definitely return to the Royalton, we just have to figure out what to do with the kids! LOL!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Nancy P
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guests:

We are touched by your review. It was beautiful to read! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments.

We are sorry to read about your check-in as unfortunately it does happen every once in a while that we are unable to give you your room upon arrival should it be before noon. Since our check-out is at 14.00, and because of high occupation, sometimes we do not have any other choice than to assign rooms that have not been vacated yet because we have no other availability. You should note though, that your welcoming is the same and you get to enjoy all the care of benefits of our little gem the minute you set foot in it! You can enjoy the pool, the beach, the restaurants and everything all-inclusive just as much as our clients who have already arrived.

Please do not feel brimmed or abandoned when this happens. It is our last interest to make you wait for anything at Royalton. When our hotel is full, we simply sometimes do not have a choice and it is always a last resort we assure you.

We very much like your last line: if you are grumpy and always in a rush don't go to Cuba! Leave these wonderfully warm kind hearted people to the rest of us! That is so sweet! And so right! Cuba is relaxed and peaceful just like our Royalton!

Thank you dear guests for wonderful comments. They are much appreciated and it was a joy to read you.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your home away from home!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed at Royalton from 18-25 July 2013 at Bungalow 09, upstairs with balcony. We had a great Royalton experience at the hotel; everything went great as planned except for the rooms.

Room, could have been better in my opinion when it comes to “luxury resort”. I understand it is a Cuba, but in reality, the name comes as Royalton and the luxury, this should have been provided luxurious lifestyle rooms. Bed is NOT comfortable at all, it is coil-spring did not have good night’s sleep daily. No clocks in room, in which we had to use iPhone to wake up for breakfast. Towels are dirty, some rust and spots are shown on towels. We have placed a card on the bed to have sheets changed after 3 days of stay due to sand and smell from the beach, maid did not bother to change. It lacks the cleanliness, exterior hallways not daily mopped and plates/cups still standing there for days.

Food, no complaints here. Breakfast, fresh and daily cooked every mornings to your satisfaction and it is great. I had a butler, Roberto which was a great guy and I am totally satisfied with him. He booked all dinners at restaurants for us (Senses, Eggsellence and Sunset) at your convenient preferred time, in which he accommodates you in. One morning, I did not have enough water bottles in room in which I mentioned to Roberto, and he provided extra ones in room making sure we are plenty dehydrated daily!

We had daily breakfast at Sunset 24 hours bar, we enjoyed it. Our favourite server is Kirenia – she knows how to speak English properly, whereas others did not understand what we wanted and always have made mistake in our food orders! Kirenia was perfect, she had a great smile and always served us with pride.

On our first night dinner at Senses, we had a server named Yulter, he is a great guy but only one negative thing is that we ordered a Lobster menu in which Yulter advised us later on that they do not have lobsters anymore but decided to make us a special one instead, in which we were not happy about it. Yulter knew we were not happy about it, so he asked us to come next night and ask for him in which he promises to provide us with a Lobster dinner. That was so nice of him, and I really admire him for going a mile ahead to satisfy us.

On last dinner again at Senses, was quite surprising to us. We had reservations at 8:30 pm and we were waiting for 15 minutes outside of Senses in which I do not understand why they had to leave us waiting outside in humid hot weather where mosquitoes were all over me. At least have some courtesy to bring us inside cooled environment to wait, but no one seemed to care at this point. This is first since for previous dinners, we were accommodated right away no waiting, but for last one, it was not right. We were brought inside by Keiner, in which was rude to us to sit us right away and giving only one menu and left right away. I stood up and went to him and asked him for another menu in which he said, “we do not have anymore, please go back to your table I will bring you another one when there is one available”… seriously? Food was delayed, this was the one last night that we both did not expect at all.

Beach, simply beautiful crystal clear waters. I enjoyed all the time on the beach and definitely was beautiful one. Lots of lounge seats there, you would have no problem in getting one at anytime you want.

Royalton, overall is a good hotel with great outdoor experience where everyone treats you as VIP, all staff are hardworking and always are there for you, whether the reason you have! They make sure your day is a happy one! Only my biggest complaint is the room, it is not quite clean from ground to roof and not really an enjoyable room stay as I thought of when it comes from luxury one.

I wouldn’t be back, but I had a good time. If Royalton improves, I might change mind.

9 Thank nemohaus
Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments. We are very grateful that you took the time to write to us about your experience, although some of your comments were surprising to us.

Rest assured that your comments about the cleanliness of the room and building and service at the restaurants were taken seriously and were followed up on. We certainly hope though that you made these comments during your stay and that you saw improvement during the week as all of our maids are qualified and dedicated to offer you a comfortable environment. As for the luxury of the room, it is the first time we hear the comment as all of our clients are surprised by the beauty of the rooms and our great rain showers. As for the bed, it would have been possible to change the mattress for you if you would have mentioned this, as we verified comments from previous guests and no mention was made of the mattresses in block 9.

As for the restaurants, we will promptly verify our reservations methods as usually our waiting time upon arrival is always less than 5 minutes. We take pride in our reservations system to ensure that you are always seated rapidly and of course, with a glass of champagne!

Thank you, dear guests, for sharing these important comments with us. It is with them that we continue to grow and offer a better product and service every day. Thank you also for the beautiful pictures. They are much appreciated.

We hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

What happens when you combine a beautiful new resort with highly trained caring staff? You get to call your resort a Royalton. Without exception really you are treated like family. Everyone is truly eager to do whatever they can to make your vacation an unforgetable experience. The Royalton Cayo Santa Maria is a very calm relaxing place to soak up the sun and enjoy a high end Cuban vacation.

There is an hour and a half bus ride from the Santa Clara airport to the hotel. The ride passes through a number of communities and small cities that really give you a sense of Cuban life. On our arrival we were greeted at the lobby of the hotel. Each service trade within the hotel is recognizable by different uniforms.
Our butler was Anna, a wonderful young woman who's English is very solid with her adorable Cuban lilt.
If it is your first time to Cuba listen up! Bring an insulated drink cup like you get at Starbucks. If you don't the Cuban sun will boil your Pina Coladas and you will spend more time running to the bar than soaking up the hospitality.
The dining at the Royalton was really good! But if your are going to Cuba for the beef please leave your Canadian expectations on the plane. Cuban beef is tough! This is not the Hotels fault I don't think anyone could soften up this meat. The Royalton is all A la Carte there are no long buffet lines to deal with, all meals are presented by your own waiter/waitress. Evening meals are presented with a true 5 Star flair for the dramatic. If you are lucky enough to go to the Royalton on your birthday or anniversary you are treated to a flombe show where they even pour the fire onto your linen table cloth. Don't worry they are proffesionals.

My "All Star" staff list includes George in the Sunset Grill. George will do anything for you and do it well! Diana in the Eggselence restaurant is a member of the Customer Service team and greets everyone for your meals. From the moment of our arrival she greeted us for dinner by our first names.
The food was really good. All meals arrive in a timely manner and each meal had the Chef's touch for the epicurean look and taste.

Just a courtesy heads up! If you are looking for a New York 5 star, please go there. The Royalton Cayo Santa Maria falls short in some areas but excells in others. This resort is a gem on the Cuban coast. I am already booking a return visit for a longer stay.

Notice: if you are one of those people that gets angry if your peas aren't properly aligned then do everyone a favor and stay home, these wonderful Cuban people simply don't deserve having to deal Mr and Mrs Cranky pants.

If you see Anna or Diana or George tell them Mr James says Hello. Their name for me!

I hope you enjoy your stay at the Royalton, I sure did!!

Kindness

My James

Room Tip: You want to choose a room with a view which is the Balcony suite. The lower rooms look into the Man...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
19 Thank JimiH77
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your generosity! What a beautiful review! We are truy touched! Your review was very interesting to read and furthemore, it is very helpful for us and for our future clients.

Our priority is to give you the best of the best for every minute you spend in our little gem. Everybody in all departments is dedicated to one thing: your hapiness and satisfaction! You are right about the Cuban sun and meat!! Both deliscious, but quite different from home! Summer in Cuba brings its load of differences from winter and it is important that our clients are aware of the small differences. Sometimes less is more, but sometimes more is less. Bring lots of sunscreen and eat lots of fresh fruit. Other departments are a bit more difficult to fill but we always do our best.

We are delighted to hear that you will be back to visit us very soon where our staff will be to welcome you again!!

We look forward to pampering you again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, you home run hotel!
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We vacationed at the Royalton from June 19-26 2013. We can not speak any higher of this place,from the staff who went beyond what is expected of them,the food was top notch,cleanliness was excellent and a most relaxing laid back atmosphere. My boyfriend and I myself have traveled to many tropical countries and have stayed at 41/2 -5 star places and this one is the best ever. If you are looking to relax and not do much of anything this is the place to be. You rock Royalton, we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

9 Thank Marion H
Dear guests:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are the ones who rock! We are so happy that you have enjoyed every aspect of your vacation with us!

We work hard every day and concentrate on anything that could make you happy! Your input is so important to us and is what keeps us alive every day! Thank you for mentioning that our little gem is the perfect spot for relaxation! Our Memories sister hotels are there for the party person in you while the Royalton pampers you in the most tranquil atmosphere possible.

We appreciate your comments and are especially happy that you will be coming back dear clients!!

We look forward to welcoming you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your awesome vacation hotel!
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just returned from this hotel. was at this resort from July 11-18

I was checked in by Diana and to my surprise 2 days later she said hello to me by my first name. I had not seen or talked to her in between. When I arrived I was on my own as I had transferred from another hotel - I was greeted by a wonderful cool cloth, a cool drink and some beautiful fruit skewers.

My butlers were Ana and Aldo. I cannot say enough about Ana. She is wonderful. Every day she would make an attempt to talk to all of her clients. She would find you on the resort just to make sure everything was okay (not just a call to your room) Aldo was another matter. I never saw or spoke to him the whole week I was there. The butlers work from 6 am to 11 pm but every other day, so on Ana's days off, I had to make sure I did not need anything.

The general manager of the Resort - Omar - was always around. He was such a down to earth guy. If he saw something out of place, dirty glasses, he would remove them himself. Arturo (second in command - I think) was always around the resort too - checking up on things.

I spent most of my day at the upper pool. Daimi was a fantastic bartender and made better drinks than her replacement on her day off.

My Chambermaid Dayami made beautiful towel art and decorated with flowers. On her day off - no towel art.

The weather the week I was there was mostly cloudy and there were some thunderstorms. It is their rainy season - so I did expect this. When it was sunny and very hot there was a beautiful breeze at the upper pool, so you really did not think it was as hot as it actually was.

Will I go back to this resort again - Definitely. It is a GEM in Cuba. Best food (sometimes a little too rich for my stomach), best drinks - with high end liquor - even at the pool bars, Best Service.

The only problem I really had was the mosquitos at the time of year. Of course that is not the problem of the Hotel. They did fog daily, even though you did not always see them.

Room Tip: I was in cabana # 3 and it was beautiful. There are only two suits to a cabana and very very quiet...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Madeleine B
Dear guest:

What a touching review! We cannot thank you enough for your generosity towards all of our staff!! We are proud of our little gem, but even prouder when our guests notice it!

We are a big family here and as you mention, everybody is on the same page. Team work from all the departments of our little gem is one key to our success...The other one, is you dear guest. Every day we learn a little bit more on how to make your vacation special, and dedicated to your personal needs. Everybody is different and we believe the only way to satisfy our clients is by asking them directly what they want and never assume that what is good for one person is the same for another.

We thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts for your beautiful comments and we are so happy that you felt safe in our home while traveling by yourself.

We certainly hope to welcome you back very soon at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your wonderful and relaxing hotel.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Royalton from July 11 to 18. We were looking for a small and quiet hotel where we could just relax and enjoy the beach. Basically, we wanted to get away from the party crowd and the loud music... and we did! The Royalton is very peaceful. The grounds are beautiful, lush and very well maintained. We loved the fact that we didn't have to rush to the beach at 6:00 in the morning in order to get a palapa. There are plenty of palapas and there's even somebody that will set your chair and towel for you. The two pools are beautiful as well, but we prefered to hang out at the beach, which is amazing. Soft sand, turquoise water and very little seaweed. Just perfect.

The rooms are nice and large and the bathroom is great and modern. There's a big tub and a (large) separate shower. Our room had a balcony and a ''garden view'' but we could see and hear the ocean. Very nice! The room was also spotless, as the rest of the facilities.

I had read great reviews about the service at the Royalton and I must say that I agree with them. Check-in was a breeze, which was great after the flight plus the 2-hour bus ride. We had two butlers, Noelvis and Franck. Both were very nice, kind and effective. They can give you all kind of information and they will do anything for you. They work very long hours (16 hours a day!) so they really deserve their tip! The service at the restaurants was usually excellent. Again, the employees seemed very dedicated and eager to please the guests.

My only critic concerns the food. There are two à la carte restaurants for dinner, plus the snack bar which is open 24 hours. The snack bar menu was the same everyday and the Senses and Eggcellence menus didn't change much. We would have liked a bit more variety, specially since we don't eat any fish and seafood. By ''variety'', I mean that I don't mind eating chicken 3 times in one week, as long as it's not the same exact dish everytime. That being said, I thought the overall quality of the food was good. We enjoyed the little breakfast buffet and the fact that you could also order ''à la carte''. Thumbs up for the fresh mango, guava and pineapple. It would have been great to be able to order fruit in the afternoon or some healthy snacks. There were actually no snacks at all, so we had to go to El Pueblo and buy a bag of chips.

We really liked the Royalton and we hope it will stay the same : serene and quiet. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, that's the place to go.

6 Thank La_Papaya
Dear guests:

Your review is so informative! Thank you for your generosity! We very much appreciate your kindness and accuracy! Especially since you have reviewed so many hotels, you sure know what you are talking about!

You are right! Royalton is the perfect place to relax, enjoy the amazing beach and forget about everything else but your peace of mind! We will take care of the rest, and more for you! We are a little sad to hear that you would have like fruit as a snack though, as, we serve fruit brochettes in our pool bars but even more, it would have been our pleasure to send you a plate a fruit to your room or your chair at the beach! We will know for next time. Also, we are working on different menus, we certainly hope that you had the chance to enjoy our Italian and Cuban nights; they are so flavorful and make a good change from our Fusion and International menus. We have also added our gala menu at the snack bar at night for your enjoyment!

Thank you so much dear guests for taking the time to give us your opinion dear guests, all the suggestions are duly noted!

We hope to welcome you back to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your beautiful and quiet hotel!
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were at the Royalton July 3-10 2013. I always look at the review before booking. This was our 6th trip to Cuba but our 1st in Cayo. I was worried about having a butler as I thought it might be intrusive. On the contrary Noelvis really made our vacation special. He made special arrangements for our anniversary which made out trip truly memorable. All of the staff were warm and friendly including Alex and Frank and so many others. Try the BBQ at lunch it is delicious. Our room was modern and spacious I loved the shower and tub. The beach was great the best sand anywhere and my husband and I have travelled quite a bit. The food was the best we have had in Cuba and they really did a wonderful job with presentation. The only suggestion we had was for more variety in the menus. We normally go for two weeks but would have found the food a bit monotonous for that long. If you have never been to Cuba I would definetely try this resort and you will want to return.

5 Thank Smiley298
Dear guests:

Thank you for your generous response, we were very happy to read your comments, especially since you know Cuba so well!

As you have pictured it so well, it makes us very proud to read that our butler service, along witht the rest of all of our staff, are not there to intrude on your well-deserved vacation, but to make sure that you spend it the most splendidly possible. Anniversaries and birthdays are spent the way you want it, whether you prefer a more romantic or festive atmosphere!

As for the restaurant menus, we are slowly adding to the variety while always keeping the quality! We certainly hope that you have tried our Italian and Cuban nights. We have also added our Gala dinner and there are always the a la carte restaurants in our sister Memories hotels to change the scenery!

Thank you very much for your beautiful comments dear guests, it was wonderful to read you.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your best resort in Cuba!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#8 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,061 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!