“Wonderful vacation”

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went recently to this hotel and I can compere with any good hotel in Dominican Republic, Mexico, USA, etc. Food and accommodation were good and attention was perfect!!! Special mention for Anaily she was so helpful, professional and nice. I really recommend this hotel to any friend and family. Thanks to all staff and see you soon guys

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank gabaleg2003
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. They are so important to us!

We appreciate every comment we receive in order to improve our standards and quality. We make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve for an unforgettable vacation.

All your comments are duly revised by our Quality Control department.

We hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We returned April 5th from this fantastic resort and I must say it is very nice and over time will become the top resort in Cuba. It is still in it's infant stage so not everything is perfect (just minor things) but they are certainly putting in a huge effort to make it so.

Sorry to say that I can not say so much for Sunwing. We departed Toronto over 3 hours late with no expalnation! Even the flight crew did not know why. The flight from Cuba was however on time and smooth. I do have to give a special mention to the Sunwing rep at the resort as I had forgot my e-reader in the seat pocket on the plane. 3 days had gone by before I realized it was missing. I let her know and the next morning when I went to check, she pulled it out her drawer. I was then a very happy person.

Check in
Seamless and very quick even at our arrival time of 1:00 am.

Rooms
Fresh and clean.We did not encounter any bugs in our room and the only real complaint I have is that the one day our maid was off, the room was not cleaned very well. Appeared as the substitute maid had just thrown the blankets on the bed without care and the bathroom was not cleaned at all. Special shout out to Sylvia our maid, she did an absolute perfect job the rest of our stay. We stayed in building 6 which is probably the perfect location to the lower pool, Sunset grill and the beach.

Butlers
We had Ery and Jiordi/Yoldy (please excuse the spelling as I am really not sure of the pronunciation) as our butlers and let me say, if you needed something all you had to do was ask. These guys were constantly asking how your day was going and if you needed anything. I especially took a liking to Ery after seeing how he was treating one of the older guests who travelled alone. Elsa would come out ever morning with Ery on one arm as he led her to her favorite spot at the pool. Its nice to see that although she was a little demanding (in a nice way) he took care of her without neglecting his other guests. He certainly showed the utmost in respect to all.

Beach
Nicest one yet and I have been to many in the Caribbean and Mexico. Clear clean turqoise water and sugar like sand!

Peublo
Nice little place that is actually 50 feet or so from the resort. Very clean and the vendors are very respectful if you just want to look. We went to the Italian place for dinner one night and are happy we did. The staff were very accomodating and the pizza was right up at the top with any I have had.

Staff
Nothing but praise for the most of them. Every gardener was always very polite and not shy about saying good morning, good afternoon or good evening. They are doing a fantastic job at working with the little they have (water and tools). The bartenders also did a great job.I would suggest that they have a partner as when they are out around the pool taking orders there should have been someone at the bar to accomodate the people waiting for a drink. My personal favorite was Liandri at the pool bar. Enjoy the Molson hat bud! The lobby bar was very nice and the bartenders got you what you requested in a very timely and friendly manner. Daniel was my wifes favotrite, he was extremely efficient and as my wife stated on more than a few occasions, gorgeous! LOL. William made an awsome special coffee! I had asked for a Gran Marnier one night and was told it was not available so I went to Omar (manager) and told him this. The next night when I went to the lobby bar and sat down, a Gran Marnier was put in front of me.Talking about attention to detail, thanks Omar. I was however told to keep it to myself (and I did) , Someone had actually gone to another resort to get it!

The food was very good and there was a good selection offered. I would however had enjoyed an omelete staion in the morning. The Sunset Grill was our restaurant of choice mainly due to the staff. Belkis and Kirenia were our favorite servers and made sure we sat in their section each time. Our favorite meals there were the burger and fries and the spahgetti for lunch.If you like lobster then you have to try it at the restaurant and the beach bar serves an awesome lobster quesadilla. Every day there was a barbecue at the lower pool so if you wanted to stay at your chair this was quite convenient and very tasty. Even though it is an a la carte situtation it would be my suggestion to have a pizza station as I have experenced in all other resorts I have been to.

Tipping
Not sure how people feel about tipping but I took extra money for this purpose only. I feel that even though they are paid to do thier jobs, it is a gesture of thanks to those who earned it and many did!. Beleive me, if they didnt they would simply not get a cent.

People
What can I say about the Cuban people except the are very warm and caring, definately some of the best I have met in my travels.
I do have a few suggestions for management:
Listen to the people who work for you, they have great ideas but you can tell they are very reluctant to say anything.
As for Julie, it was nice to meet you in the lobby for the first time while we were waiting to catch the bus to return to Canada, unfortunaelty this was the only time we met.
A special thanks to Omar for going out of his way to get me the Gran Marnier, it certainly did not go unnoticed.
Sebastien, keep up the great work, your food got progressively better through the week.As a guest you must realize as a visitor to Cuba that not everything is readilly available like we have in Canada.

In closing I would have to say that our stay at the Royalton overall a very good one and that if this resort keeps stepping up and listening to travellers and their own people for ideas it will become one of the top resorts in not only Cuba but the rest of the Carribean as well!

I often get asked if I would return to a resort and in all honesty I would have to say there is a 75% chance at returning to this one. The only reason this is not 100% is that my wife and I never return to the same place. Who knows,that may change after staying at the Royalton!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank MolsonmanToronto
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear guests :

We appreciate your comments very much! Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us!

Your comments are the key to our success. They are our guide to our success! Our little gem would not be what it is today without you dear guests and we could never thank you enough for that. We carefully read and analyze all of your comments for your utmost satisfaction. If something is not up to your liking we simply change it or make it better! That’s our philosophy!

Thank you once again dear guests for your beautiful comments. You help us make the difference.

We hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your beautiful resort!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We travelled to the Royalton from March 14th - 21st, with two other couples, and our 7 day vacation was absolute PERFECTION!!!

Arrival:

Bus ride from the airport was about 1hr 40 mins, but a very scenic bus ride indeed!! Check-in was very speedy, no line-ups! We were given a cold drink and cold towel, and then quickly greeted by our butler Ana, who immediately showed us to our room.

Rooms:

Absolutely perfect! Rooms are very modern, very spacious and clean. We did NOT encounter a single creepy crawly the entire week, and that was just fine with me! Each day our maid left us with a clean room and great towel art! Especially loved the elephant that she made and used my St. Patrick's Day earrings for the eyes...very creative!!!

Butlers:

To our butlers, Ana and Ariel, a huge thank you for your attentiveness during the week! When we ran into them on the resort they would check in with us to see if there was anything we needed. Lovely hard working people!!!

Upper Pool/Bar:

We found ourselves lounging here every afternoon after a "stressful" morning at the beach! Here you will find a breathe taking view overlooking the resort and the beautiful turquoise ocean. To DIAMY, Royalton's #1 Bartender, a huge THANK YOU from your Newfoundland friends. From her "Diamy special" for the gals, to her Cuba Libre for the boys, she was there to please! I hope your "party" on the bus ride home rocked!!!

Lobby Bar:

To WILLIAM your "kahula and milk" was my evening treat, thanks for hooking me up!!! To JULIE, you are the best, your "married before" was truly a hit with us gals! To DANIEL ("Michael Buble) your smile says it all! You are all a definite asset to the Lobby Bar!! We WILL see you again!

Food:

The a la carte dining experience at the Royalton was wonderful. If you are unable to find something delicious to eat then you are really way tooooo picky!! However, as an individual with a seafood allergy, a little more selection on your evening menu would be great! With that being said, the staff were very accommodating!

Beach:

We have travelled to Cuba and Dominican Republic several times before, but this beach is by far the BEST we have ever seen!! Powder soft sand and beautiful turquoise water! The bartender, Yasmani at the beach who works very hard every day, under the hot sun, kept those drinks coming while we enjoyed the beach, Thank you!!

Entertainment:

The musicians that were located throughout the entire resort at different times during the day....AMAZING TALENTED PEOPLE!! Well done Royalton. To the entertainment staff, Mario, Lily, and Frank, you are truly an asset to this resort. A JOB WELL DONE!!!

Tipping:

This seems to be a huge topic of debate from many reviews....let me put it plain and simple. We didn't tip in order to get service, we tipped because of the service we received!!! OUTSTANDING SERVICE!!

OVERALL:

This is a small, intimate resort on the most beautiful stretch of beach! The staff were amazing and made our trip unforgettable! We would highly recommend this resort to our friends, family and strangers!!

Thanks again Royalton, WE WILL BE BACK!

Nadia & Wayne

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Nadia S
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your comments! They are very generous and so helpful to us!

As you may have noticed, we read and answer each and every comment we receive. We figure that if you take the time to write them, we certainly will return the favor and answer them back!

Your comments are the key to our success. We follow them religiously as they are our source of inspiration to always work on making our little gem a better place for you dear guests, as we know that your vacation is hard-earned and we want to offer you nothing but the best, as you surely deserve it!

We very much appreciate you sharing your opinion with us.

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your vacation perfection hotel!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'll divide it in a few categories but all in all wow!!!

CHECK-IN
Arrived with Sunwing airlines and exchanged our money at the airport although I heard from others that the rate is actually better at the resort itself and there were never shortage of CUC's available. Busride during the day was awesome we learned so much, drank a lot of beer which is provided in bus for $2 each and washrooms did work! We arrived at the resort and were greeted with hot towels and a cocktail. Within then minutes we met our butler and were wisked away to bungalow 5 gardenview room. It was so quick and effortless the best check-in we've had in our 4 travels to Cuba.

RESORT
The resort is extremely clean and well maitained. Yes the pools are on the cool side but the weather was so nice that we actually enjoyed cooling of there. Since the resort is on the small size it was easy to walk to one spot to another which is quite nice for a change.

ROOM
We were in a gardenview terrace in bungalow 5 which we enjoyed. We were a few steps from the pool, grill as well as beach. The room is well equiped and very clean. We did not see one single bug in our room during our whole stay should I add which is a first for us. Our maid did not really leave any big towel art but for us it is not a must we prefer she concentrates on our clean room instead! The minibar was stocked daily with 2 bottles of water which we always used up. TV has enough channels to keep you busy. I have to say yes the bed sucks, they are not comfortable at all even with every guest we spoke with they agreed but hell just bring a gravol or sleeping pill... won't kill you for a week.

BEACH
Wow... this is our second time at this beach and it is by far the best beach you can find. There were always enough chairs and palapas; no need to go early and reserve your spot. Yes there are quite a few guests from the HUSA and the Memories that will come and use palapas in the Royalton section but we did not let this damper our experience I don't understand why people complain about this enjoy your vacation instead... Drinks where always served while relaxing on a chair and even food at lunch time which is nice if you don't feel like going back to the resort.

POOL
Very nice pools, we did enjoy both pools but our favorite was the lower pool as it was always less windy and fellow guests were always very chatty. Always room even on the big beds which are nice... I do have to say that it was annoying seeing reserved beds empty all day... if you book em use em! Drinks would even be delivered while in the pool so how could we complain!

ENTERTAINMENT
We did enjoy the entertainment staff they are very friendly. As for the shows we are early to bed people so we never actually saw a show in the evening other than music during supper so we can't really comment on this...

STAFF and SERVICE
I am not going to name anyone here as everyone was incredible... from the cleaning to gardeners to waiters to butlers... each and everyone one of them seem so happy to be working there and always ready to serve you. You can't really ask for anything more...

FOOD
Very good and very tasty I must add. You will not go hungry here that is for certain. The only little thing that we did not like and this is just us... is the fact that you need to have your dinner reservation booked for a certain time each night. Sometimes you don't want to eat as early as 6:30 or as late as 8:30 depending on your day. All the three restaurants were incredibly fast, efficient and good. Even for myself who does not eat pork or beef I was always very satisfied. Don't be shy to ask for extra vegetables if you want they will be happy to accomodate you. Don't miss the Tuna steak at the Senses that what the highlight of my trip!

DRINKS/BAR
There were no Coronas unfortunately during our trip in bottles only Bucanero which is fine with us we are not fussy. Drinks were all good and bartenders amazing...

PUEBLO
We did eat at the Japanese which was okay but frankly the food is so good at the resort that we regret a bit going there and spending money. Staff was very rude there... We also went for the free service at the spa which was ackward given that a guy hoses you down but the spa is gorgeous and very professional, don't hesitate to book something there I am sure you will be pleased. There are also a lot of vendors with nice stuff for those interested.

I think I covered pretty much all the important point so book now! For us we would probably not go again as it is a very very quiet resort during the day and since we are early to bed people we do look for a bit of party during the day but I would recommend any time!!!

Room Tip: I think you will be happy with any room... resort is small.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Foodlover94_10

Dear guests:

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. Thank you so much!

Your comments are so important to us. They are the ones who guide us to always choosing the right path for your continued satisfaction. Without you, our little gem would not be what it is today and we could never thank you enough for helping us to bring it to a new level of customer care.

Our reason for living is your happiness dear guests. Every day we focus on one thing and one thing only: your satisfaction. Since everybody has different tastes, it is important for us to know all your favorite details so we can proudly offer them to you.

Thank you very much once again for your generosity. We took much pleasure in reading your opinion and comments.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your perfect hotel!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I can not find better words to describe what amazing were my vacations on Royalton!! I just returned on April 11 after one week in this amazing place, it exceeded my expectations in all the areas.
Flight with Sunwing was fine. Travel by bus to reach the hotel was very comfortable. I was given a welcome drink and cold towels while the receptionist in the lobby was doing the check in. Then Eric one of my two butlers took me for a tour around the hotel, my bungalow had balcony with a sea view, the room was very clean, the air conditioning worked perfectly, the water had power, in the closets had iron and ironing board, two umbrellas, two blankets, two robes and slippers. From my bed I could see the sea ...
On the beach an employee was there to accommodate the beach chair in the shade or sun for me, the sand was like powder along with the blue sea invited me to stay there forever.
The two swimming pools were very nice the lower pool was near to “Sunset Bar Grill” is open 24 hours with a la carte menu, from there I recommend the shrimp salad. I would like to emphasize that the two other restaurants a la carte “Fusion” & “Eggxcellent” the food served there was also fresh and delicious! the chef cook for me a steak to perfection! Also lobster and snapper were prepared with an incredible flavour. The bar at the pool always had fruit skewer, cheese skewer and ham & cheese sandwiches with lettuce and tomato were made with homemade bread, everything was delicious!! At lunch time there was a BBQ beside the pool serving chicken, beef and pork skewers with grill vegetables.
The spa a peaceful atmosphere!! Enjoyed the Jacuzzi, I got an upper body, legs and foot massage along with Cleopatra bath… highly recommended.
I could write pages about this fantastic place, customer service, food and all the facilities are breathtakingly beautiful! I will definitely return soon to Royalton!
Thank you very much to all the staff is very hard to remember all the name but just to mention same of them Julie the front manager, Sebastian a Canadian Chef, Daimy, Reniel, Felix, Raudel (bartenders), Alexis, Kirenia, Diamela, Magdiel, Tatiana (servers) Eric & Yoldy my butlers, Daimy a room cleaning.
Again thank you very much to all of you!!!
Helen

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Helen_F155019

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I travelled to the Royalton with two of my friends from March 23-30! It was not long enough! I will try to break it down for an easier read but I could go on forever about the wonderful service and wonderful vacation. I will be using names in my review so if I spell any wrong my apologies!

Travel: No issues with sunwing it was a great flight and everything was on time. :). The bus ride to the resort was something I originally was leery about due to the length of the ride, but I took that back right away! It went so fast - travelling through the towns is quite the experience, and the causeway was beautiful.

Checking in: this was stress free! I loved it! Greeted by our butler Ramon we received a cold towel, drink and appetizer from one of the bartenders (and my favourite bartender!) Daniel. From there we were taken to our rooms and given explanations of the process - a different Daniel and I believe the other gentleman was Alex took care of our luggage! Thanks guys as my friend and I didn't pack light! :). From there the week began!

Beach - um AMAZING! Beautiful beach and water! Can't even describe in words how beautiful it was. We would go down and one of the staff members would take us to the loung echairs we wanted, Lay out the towel and we could relax! We ate on the beach a couple of times and had lobster quesadilla. Yum!

Room - LOVED my room! Ocean view balcony. Beautiful. Room was cleaned by Jany -thank you for the notes and towel animals! I had no issues at all with my room, and I know if there is something just tell someone! It will be taken care of! My friends and I ordered room service one day with no issues and had it on the balcony, so wonderful!

Butler service - our butlers were Alex and Ramon, thank you to both of them! It was so nice to have someone to go to about reservations, general questions and anything that was needed. I definitely appreciated it! Alex made a bath one night and it was so beautiful! Beautiful flower petals - I mean wow! Thank you it was so appreciated! Gracias!

Pueblo Estralla - the town - really cool! We ate at the Japanese restaurant which was really good. The vendors are so awesome! Everything is more than reasonably priced so no need to barter which I like! Just throwing out there if you barter you sound silly. The stuff is so inexpensive I wouldn't even think of it. Please don't devalue their items.

Food - I'm not a picky eater anyhow, but the food here was wonderful. I liked the no buffet concept and the lobster was delicious, as was the calamari, shrimp, soup, rice, rice pudding. So good! I know there has been a lot of hard work in this area and it shows. The service as well was so wonderful, Kalenia (sp?) and Ramsay at the snack bar were two staff members we had serve us a lot - thank you! They were so friendly! Thank you!

Drinks - a drink menu would have been handy however the bartenders each have their own specialty. I would ask for something good and always get a fun wonderful drink! :) Daniel at the upstairs bar was so friendly! Don't forget to get one of William's special coffees! Yum! The bartenders were so friendly a d some of the drinks maybe a little too good! Ha ha!

Activities - next time I come here, because there will be a next time! I hope to do more excursions or go to the towns, however this vacation my friends and I just needed the beach and we had so much fun getting to know the staff! Frank and Mario were awesome in the activities area and so helpful. Thank you! I really enjoyed the entertainment on the resort, if you want to party a little more go to the disco or carnival, I enjoyed the salsa dancing at the pool even though I was terrible! Thank you Frank for the help finding Ragga Ragga!

My favourite part of the trip? The people! You can go to the most beautiful place in the work, but at the end of the day I believe it's the people that make you want to come back. This is the case for me, thank you to everyone! I only ask visitors one thing, be respectful! There were (as always) some rude guests, and I find that upsetting. The staff on this resort will go above and beyond for you. Truly the best part of the trip.

Some tips - make sure you bring enough cash to exchange, we had no issues converting at the resort but if you had to go to the bank I would recommend going first thing when it opens. If you want to tip and haven't had a chance to convert your money, remember that Canadian coins can't be exchanged by cuban people, so bring some fives to get you started. The nice thing in our experience was we never felt pressured to tip, we tipped because we wanted to because of the wonderful service.

I could go on forever - the one thing I want to stress is I will be back!

Room Tip: I loved my balcony room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Sarah B
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear guests:

Wow!! What a wonderful review!! So much detail! It is awesome! You have covered all the departments of our hotel!!

Your comments are very dear to us as they are the ones who help us move forward in the right direction straight to your happiness!! We read every one of them and happily take the time to answer them to say thank you for posting in the first place. This is how we make sure that every detail of your wants and needs is taken care of!

We just want to let you know that the bar and drink menus are on their way! They are being produced as we speak and shouldn’t be long before they are available…but we like your suggestion, just try every bartender’s specialty!!

Also, we very much like your comments about our animation team, which prove that even though we are a very zen and peaceful hotel, there is always fun to be made!!

We don’t know how to thank you for your generosity dear guests! Your comments are a great guide for us and for our future clients as well!!

The best news is that you are coming back!!!

We are very much looking forward to pampering you again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I returned a few days ago from our second trip to the Royalton. We were there during Christmas and we were so impressed that we booked a return trip as soon as we got back. We arrived April 3 and we knew it was going to be good. The plane arrived early which was a bonus as it would get us to the resort and the beach that much sooner. The bus ride goes by quickly but be aware that if you decide to indulge in a few beers that the bathroom on the bus may or may not be in service. It is a long ride if it isn't in service. Ours wasn't working but that wasn't mentioned until after a few beer had been consumed. The bus did stop in one of the towns for a bathroom break so that helped.
We arrived at the resort around lunch time to a grand welcome as returning guests. Our original butler, Ery, was there with Julie, the manager, and a few other staff with a banner welcoming us back. What a great way to start! We were very graciously upgraded to our original oceanview room which was absolutely fantastic and we were very grateful.
After a quick trip to our room we changed and hit the beach. Solid blue sky, 38 degrees and azure water - PERFECT! For those who have never been, the Royalton has the best stretch of beach amongst all the resorts. It is wide, well tended, never crowded and all the staff provide superior service.
The food was great the first time but this time there was a new chef, a Canadian from Whitby, named Sebastien. I had the pleasure to talk with him at the beach bar and was impressed with his focus, dedication and plans for the future of the Royalton. A win-win for guests and the resort.
The best addition food wise was the barbeque at the lower pool. Wow! Shrimp rice, pork chops, chickern, shish-ke-bobs and a selection of sauces that were delicious. The sweet and sour with a small bite to it was wonderful. All the food was great. For picky eaters - go somewhere else! For those who like food, the resort does great things with the resources they have. My wife and I celebrated our first anniversary on April 5th and we were treated royally! At the Senses restaurant we had a spectacular meal of lobster and filet mignon but the crown jewel was dessert. Our waiter came out with a piece of rum cake and two gravy boats. At first I was wondering why gravy boats but then the show started. The gravy boats were filled with rum. The waiter lit one gravy boat and then started pouring flaming alcohol back and forth between the gravy boats. What a show! Then the heated alcohol was poured over the rum cake - still flaming - and then the cake was cut in two and transferred to two separate plate already lit with flaming alcohol. It was exquisite! Did I mention they dimmed the lights, had a violinist playing during the entire display. My wife cried (happily) as she was so overwhelmed with the attention. To Arturo, Julie and Omar and all the staff - Lise and I will never be able to express our gratitude for your incredible attention to detail and all that you did for us while we there. Be prepared - we will be back!
I have nothing negative to say. The service was beyond belief. The food was exceptional. The weather was perfect. The resort is extraordinary. I will say, as I always do in my reviews of my trips to Cuba, that the best resource Cuba has are its people! They are such a caring and wonderful people. Wow! A special mention to Ery, Yoldi, Raydell, Ramsey, the beach bartenders and the beach boys/lifeguards - sorry too many names to remember - for taking the time to talk to us and give us an insight into life in Cuba. A extra special mention to Liandry. I know everyone at the resort works hard but Liandry never stops serving, walking, talking, joking - he is the epitome of great customer service. For all you Canadians going there - take the time to get to know the staff. Take the time to understand what they experience. It will open your eyes. They may be there to serve you but they aren't slaves. Don't treat them as such.
See you next year (maybe sooner)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tony V
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#7 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!