“Best Cuba Vacation Spot”

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Royalton. This was our 3rd trip to Cuba and this was the best trip we've had. Roberto & Lionel made sure our every need was met. We enjoyed the 'no buffet' experience-there was always something on the menus we enjoyed. We wanted a relaxing adult getaway and we found it at the Royalton. We stayed in a cabana with 2 floors, 2 decks, 2 bathrooms, shower and Jacuzzi tub and a hot tub on our 2nd floor outdoor deck. We could have stayed a month. Special thanks to Dymme at the pool bar as she was so friendly and made our stay extra special. We plan to go back next year for 2 weeks. Great weather..awesome staff....what more could you ask for?

17  Thank Joy S
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your impressions about our hotel, we are very grateful! So you stayed in our famous Royalton Suites! What a delight they are, and just amazingly beautiful! Unfortunately there are only four, so if you are interested, please reserve them with time to ensure availability. And yes, you can stay for a month if you wish to!

We very much appreciate the fact that you mention the fact that there are no buffets in our beatiful little gem. All the meals and restaurants are a la carte, all the better to serve you dear clients! Our hotel is designed exacty for what you mention: a relaxing adult getaway. Everything is peaceful and quiet, including activities, music and night entertainment. This place is all about getting away from it all!

Thank you once again dear guests, so great to read that you will be back next year, we will be waiting for you!

Until then, we send you a warm greeting from Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, you best Cuba vacation spot!

There are newer reviews for Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We travelled on the 7th of February for a week to the Royalton Cayo Santa Maria...reviews had been very positive so we had high expectations. We were not disappointed. Staff was fantastic, especially our butler Roberto! They have a genuine gem in him...he made sure everything was perfect for my fiancés birthday upon our arrival back from our catamaran day trip.

Good excursion but they lost the mark with the cheesy dolphin show and lunch in a cafeteria (food was very good though!). Snorkelling was good and the sailors were excellent hosts, more of a party atmosphere on this trip I think. I'd been on a catamaran with my son some years back in Cayo Coco and we had a beautiful lobster and chicken bbq right on the beach, really added to the experience! We also took the jeep safari trip, what a blast! Great way to see the real Cuba and had lunch at a farm and went on a hike into a cave...even got my 6'4" fiancé on a Cuban horse, now that in itself was worth the price of the excursion!

This resort is brand new. It's very quiet (go next door to Memories for an eye opener), very well maintained, clean, with very good food. I hope the people who have negative things to say must remember this is Cuba, not Hawaii. We read silly things like, "no salt in the omelettes", "no butter or bacon one day", "awful toilet paper", "only one garbage can in the room"...come on, really?! This is a lovely resort, yes, it's more basic than a 5 star in Aruba, but you can't beat the value for money, the people are great, and the beaches along Cayo Santa Maria are beautiful. We had a few little issues, no coffee for the coffee maker a couple of days, no refills on a couple of days in our mini bar (gasp! we had to walk 30 feet to the bar to get a beer!), and we had ants twice in our bathroom. All things were taken care of quickly and with a smile.

All that said however, Sunwing really needs to get their act together. A LOT of complaints from other reviews about how Sunwing handles (or chooses not to handle), airport delays and check in. We were not impressed with their service, but would go back to this resort in a heart beat.

See another reviewer met Bob and Annie from Ontario...I think they were secretly on their second, third or fourth honeymoon - great people!

Room Tip: If you like the pool, ask for the 11 block, if you like an ocean view, pay the extra money before yo...
12  Thank DAPHNE B

Dear guests:

We did it! We didi it!! We exceeded your expectations! We loved reading your comments! Thank you so much! This is the best news we could ever get!

All these great comments make us want to give even more to our clients and make sure that they have the best vacation experience ever, just like the ones our clients write about. We are very happy to see that we have mananged to do that.

We very much enjoyed reading your realistic comments. And we do now have 2 garbage cans in the room! We have finally received them! All off the comments you have mentioned have been taken care of, including the minibar and coffee. Everything was smoothed out quickly and is easy flowing.

Oh my God, thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts! Your comments made our day! Robert says hello, as do all of us!

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, the hotel that exceeds all expectations!!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the Royalton from February 2 - February 9, and had an absolutely amazing vacation!!! It was exactly what we needed to relax, unwind and have some fun. In addition to the outstanding staff, we met some fantastic people who made our vacation even better.

The beach was beautiful, the drinks were good and even better were the lobster and shrimp skewers flambed in Rum at the beach bar!!!! Thank you to Juri, Mario and Franco you sure made our trip fun and made us feel so welcome.

My husband and I took the Havana by Plane tour and I would definitely recommend it. While it's a long day (they pick you up at 6:30am and you don't return until about 9:30pm), it was worth it to see the architecture and the culture. Bring some good walking shoes and water if you go. The plane ride is quick, safe and not too far from the resort.

I would highly recommend the weekly fiesta that they throw in the Pueblo, for $15 it was a great night out with drinks and dancing. We also tried the disco one evening and had a great time.

A very special thank you to Orestes our butler who went out of his way to take care of us the whole week. On our last evening, after a long trip to Havana there was Orestes as we got off the bus waiting to take us back to our room. He had planned a romantic dinner for us complete with candles, wine and flowers. The four course meal he served us was amazing, it was just what we needed on our last night in beautiful Cuba.

Overall we had one of the best vacations that we have ever had and we have travelled throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. While there could have been more choices for food, we never had a bad meal and the service was second to none no matter where we were. The rooms were immaculate, the grounds beautiful and the small size of the resort ensured that you knew everyone! The Royalton was friendly and welcoming and I can honestly say this was the first vacation where we were not ready to come home. We miss it already!

Thank you to everyone at the Royalton for making our trip memorable, we will definitely be back.

Liz and Kevin (Captain Calgary)

11  Thank Liz E
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you for your wonderful comments! You are the proof that we can still have fun in a tranquil place! Your energy is beautiful! It was a blast having you around the hotel!

Aren't our beach brochettes the best? We also have a new BBQ in the lower pool area for lunch to die for! Every day we offer you a different variety of menus to choose from as we are changing and trying out new things all from the comments we recieve from our dear clients!

Your pictures are beautiful, thank you for putting them up and for your generous and positive comments! We remember you well and nothing would make us happier than for you to visit us again!

We look forward to welcomine you back, Liz and Captain Calgary, to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your amazing hotel!

We visited this resort from Feb 5 - 12, 2013
We had a excellent experience! The staff are super friendly and they all went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect. I loved everything.
We stayed in Cabana 602. Big with a upstairs bedroom,bathroom. Hot tub on the deck off the main floor. Wow, what a beautiful room. 2 bathrooms, 2 fridges and a up to date digital in room safe.
Our chambermaid Dayami was amazing! Very friendly and left us some beautiful pieces of art out of towels on our bed everyday. I have been to a few different resorts and her displays were the best!
We had 2 butlers, they each work one day,off one day. Their names were Roberto and Lionel. 2 amazing people, we are very glad to have met them and I can say I would recommend them both to anyone who visits this resort. We had some friends come 2 days after us from Nova Scotia. We had the opportunity of meeting one of their butlers, Noelvis was his name. Also a very nice, polite friendly man.
There is a market right there at the resort, it runs between the Royalton and Memories resorts. It is cheaper than the market that is in town. But both markets are nice to visit. We learned after a couple of days that the vendors change out each day. So, if you see something you like, I would suggest getting it then, it may not be there when you go back.
No there is no buffet there and yes that does suck. You don't always like the thing you've chosen to eat. We did get in a little people mover van and had a fun ride to the joining memories resort and ate at the buffet there. It was good. But please don't let the food get you down on visiting this resort. I am pretty picky but I also never went hungry. This is a leisurely, quiet resort. It is not a big, loud party resort. There is a bowling ally between the 2 resorts and we had a great game one night. Webrought cards and had a game another night. They do have little music shows at night but nothing big like any of the other resorts we've been. That would really be the only thing that I would change there. Evening entertainment to pass away a hour or so during the night.
But Yes, I would for sure visit this resort again.
The beach has a couple of guys sitting right next to the stairs that will go a make sure to find you chairs to lay on, which I found to be pretty awesome. The sand is so white and fine and the water is crystal clear. Beautiful.
You can change your canadian money to cuban money at the main desk, but go in the daytime because most of the little money is gone by night time. You can also go 5 minutes away and get money changed at a bank, but you will need to bring your passport to show to change money.
Yes there is a long bus ride to the resort, but they do provide cold beer, lol and the bus is comfortable and air conditioned, there is a very nice guide that will tell you all about the little towns you are driving thur and it is a very nice scenic drive. The time flew and we enjoyed seeing the sites on the way to the resort.

Room Tip: Our room was right up front to the left of the lobby. # 602 it is more expensive but beautiful. Our...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank smurfAlberta

Dear guests,

Thank you for your wonderful comments, it was such a pleasure to read you! You stayed in one of our Royalton Suites, aren' t they gorgeous??

We appreciate your comments and have taken note of everything. Although unfortunately a buffet is not in the plans for the future, we are adding new things to satisfy every bit of your hunger! We have lobster,shrimp and filet mignon brochettes at the beach that are served to you and also a new BBQ in the lower pool area that is all the rage! We are also changing the menus to our restaurants and have brand new fusion, gourmet and gala dinners every night!

As for the entertainement, although we have added a show with dancers, our hotel offers light entertainement during the day and the evening. It is very much a place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings...We have taken note though and see what changes can be done to spice it up a little!

But you are right! There is still the Memories next door who offers excitment, buffets and lively night entertainment thay you can enjoy before coming back to your darling Royalton!

Thank you for your comments dear guests, they were very helpful and enjoyable! It is so grea to read that you would like to come back and visit us!

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your excellent hotel!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were at the hotel from Feb 11-17, 2013. This is our sixth time in Cuba and this is the first time that we where very dissapointed with the food. We missed a lot having a buffet, at least if you didnt`like what you where eating you could eat something else. The two nights that we went at the restaurant the beef was raw. Not much food variety at a la carte restaurants and they had very little fruit and vegetables all through the week and also no butter, potatoes. Did is also the first time we go to an adult hotel, we found it too quite and there was no entertainment during the day. The ony thing there was is a little band playing in the lobby at night. We pretty much spent our time at the Memories hotel next door and we did not use much the pools because there was no shade. We where mostly on the beach.

24  Thank Pierrette S

Dear guests:

Oh no! Why did you not mention this to us while you were here! At Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, we go out of our way to make you happy and it would have been more than a pleasure to conjure up your favorite every night! All you had to do was ask or mention that you you weren't satisfied, like our other clients do.

It is mentionned in many places that Royalton Cayo Santa Maria is a quiet and peaceful hotel and that there is NO buffet. Obviously our beautiful gem is not the product you were looking for if you spent more time at the Memories next door, which is a family party hotel.

We would have liked to make your stay unforgettable nonetheless. Let this be a reminder for our future clients: always choose a hotel suited for your needs and let us know while you are with us what your needs, preferences and choice are. This way, we can fix it on the spot and not have the deception of reading about your deception when you go back home.

Thank you for your comments dear guests, we appreciate them nonetheless. Our menus are being reviewed as we speak to ensure that this situation does not happen again.

We send you a warm greeting from Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your adult only peaceful and zen hotel!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Yes the beach is amazing and the resort is very small and quiet, there are more than enough chairs by the pool and very relaxing BUT do you really want to spend your vacation wondering if today you will have a good meal or bad meal? Food was very inconsistent and limited in variety.

2 incidents within 15 minutes of our arrival turned me off immediately.

Firstly a bellboy caught us coming out of our room and waved us down to leave our luggage inside, he asked us to open the door for him because he didn't have a key (total lie). He jokingly asked for 2 pesos and I said we were going to get change. Then he said in Canadian is fine or could give me change. I thought he was going to give me CAD to CUC, he changed my $20 for 4 X $5 and carefully counted out the $5, 10, 15, 20 into my hand as I passed him my $20. Then he took back the stack and counted them out again slowly $5, 10, 15, 20, then again he counted them out for me. The guy was waiting for me to give him a $5 tip for dropping off my luggage after I had to open the door for him. When I handed him the $5 he finally stopped counting my money and left me alone. Its the fact that he expected $5 that irritated me more than anything. I have never had anything like that ever happen to me in the Carribbean. Not gracious at all and definitely not what you would expect from a 5 star resort.

After that horrendous experience we walked down to the beach and back into the resort, we were stopped by a security guard that didn't believe we were hotel guests, he asked to see our Royaton card that was in our room. Said our room key wasn't proof enough. We told him our room number and he begrudgingly let us pass.

Its still a new resort so maybe things will get better, it does look like they are reading these trip advisor reviews and changing things. We saw champagne / mimosas one day only at breakfast on our way out. I would have had some had we been offered it. They added a second garbage can to the rooms and there are overhead sun shades on the pool beds now. They just need to add drapes around the pool beds and bolsters and it would be great.

We did not see a lime or lemon the entire week, hard to make a good drink. The striploin steak was inedible it was so tough (but not overcooked, actually came out med rare) like shoe leather and covered in a sweet sauce, chicken legs at the snack bar were so overcooked, dry and bland, over cooked seafood was par for the course, shrimps were never deveined and everything was drizzled with olive oil as a garnish for some reason. Salad is shredded romaine with tomato slices and olive oil ( no vinegar or lemon or seasoning) Mashed potatoes tasted like from a box. Potatoes aoli were boiled potatoes slathered with mayo. Fries were overly deep fried to a crisp, burgers had no seasoning. There isn't a lot of fruit or vegetables available either. Halfway through the week the pineapple was canned. The breakfast pastries were quite dry and crumbly. Hashbrowns drenched in oil. They put out what I thought was sour cream when they ran out of cream cheese for breakfast one day. The Cubans really have no idea what North American food is like. There were a LOT of deep fried items - good or bad depending what you're into. They need more variety on the menu, breakfast is the same every day, I've never eaten so many eggs. Lunch is the same everyday at the snack bar.

We spoke with tonnes of other people at the resort and believe me, it was a consensus the food was the worst people had had in Cuba, and most people we talked to had been to Cuba several times.

Not all the food was bad though, most of the soups were good (not the cold gazpacho), eggs at breakfast were good, nachos were good, cuban beef was OK, rice pudding was good, flan/panacotta was OK a bit rubbery and lumpy (not silky), filet mignon one night at senses was good, chicken one night at senses was good. Drinks for the most part were good and not too sweet. Certain alcohols are not available like top shelf liquor, amaretto, bombay gin, grey goose. We did see some top shelf scotch/whisky at Memories Lobby bar but it was not included even with your Royalton card and had to pay if you wanted a taste, we even asked management about this. The only thing we wanted from Memories we couldn't have. We were told we were like VIP guests of Memories. When you go over there, its such a zoo no one knows you're from the Royalton and there is no special service.

We did see some Spanish speaking guests get food that wasn't on the menu that looked amazing like lobster tail salad Why wasn't I offered this? On our last day I saw a man at breakfast with a side of home fries. You gotta ask for stuff you don't even know you want and if you are lucky the server might understand you and if you are really nice to him, you might even get it.

A note to the management, there is definitely preferential treatment at this resort for big tippers. Don't get me wrong we tipped all our servers, butlers and maids but apparently not enough as you see the eyes of the waitresses and waiters light up for their big tippers when they walk through the door. More than once our waiter dropped the ball on us when someone with deeper pockets came in at dinner that they had obviously served before. I can live with this as it is human nature when you are from such a poor country and want to make your tips BUT that even isn't the worst of it.

Service is one thing, I can live with waiting to have my order taken but there are actually menu items that are not listed that I believe are reserved for certain guests, the lobster salad at lunch, the bigger lobster tails at dinner. One guest told us you can get lobster tails from the upper pool bartender at lunch. You won't see any of this on a menu. Why would I think to ask a bartender for a lobster tail. I think there were nachos throughout the day at Sunset too but not sure, again not made available to all guests. Also heard there were lobster tail skewers and meat skewers and fruit skewers at the beach bar. Never saw any of that if you were at the pool all day. Would have been nice to see that on the menu at Sunset.

Another example of this preferential treatment and service was at Eggsellense one night at dinner. We ordered the lobster en papillotte after seeing other guests receive massive beautiful tails at 2 other tables around us. Seriously they were huge, almost the diameter of a wine bottle. The waiter knew exactly what was going on too, really working up the main course, asking if we were ready for it, saying its cooked perfectly, done just right. Imagine my disappointment when he brought it out an overcooked (as usual) lobster cut in half and about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the other tails we had seen other guests served. It was the size of a banana. When I asked him why ours looked different he said they are the same and then yelled something in Spanish to another waiter about us and went in the back.

I think we Canadians are doing this to ourselves as another poster had mentioned by tipping excessively and promoting the workers to have dollar signs in their eyes. At our orientation meeting our sunwing rep flat out said tipping is very much appreciated - more like expected. At this resort, I felt that tipping was almost mandatory if you want to get anything. We did tip and also gave some gifts for people but the look on their faces told me it was money they really wanted. One worker flat out told me they can buy whatever they want with CUC's and money is preferred over gifts.

I will never go back to this resort and would definitely not recommend it to anyone. Being served bad food is one thing but being served bad food when people around you are being treated better and being served what looks like amazing food is another. I would be more likely to recommend it if we felt were were served the same food had it been bad or good.
I have never experienced this at any other resort in the Caribbean and is the main reason why I would not send any of my friends or family here. Will not return to the Royalton ever.

If you are OK with packing peanut butter and other condiments on your vacation for a so called 5 star resort (we saw some people who did!!!) go ahead but I'd rather go to Mexico where the food is amazing, the people work hard and everyone is treated the same no matter what you tip them.

Change your money at the airport, better exchange rate. You can always get change from the bartenders. At the resort we got 94 CUC for 100 CAD, its 96 CUC at the airport
Remember to put aside 25 CUC for your departure tax, sunwing will give you a tourist card on the plane be careful filling it out, if you make a mistake, have to pay $20 for a new one.

The resort was mainly mid to late 40's -70's, there were a few younger couples, not a lot of dressing up, very casual, no men's dress code, no high heels to be seen or fancy jewelry. Not like in Mexico with Brits dressing up to the nines. Not much to do at night after the 9:30 show unless you are going to the disco in the Pueblo Estrella. The gym looks ok in the pictures but the treadmill is super narrow and not good. The spa looked nice, small but quaint. The Carnival in the Pueblo is 15 cuc per person one evening, live music and fireworks, starts at 11pm. bus loads of people from neighbouring resorts go.

Other not so good things:

bed is very firm, consider bringing a down pillow top along with your condiments
beans and rice has pork chunks in it (vegetarians beware)
got ham in a vegetarian omelet one day, be careful if you're vegetarian
use deet all day for bites if bugs like you, I got bit, partner didn't even with no deet
shower door leaks water all over floor, made a mess every day, slippery for seniors
ants in room all the time
white wine tasted like water, rose was worse, merlot was good
resort needs bar menus, more accurate food menus
toilet in room smelt like sewage on windy days
toilet by pool smelt like pee even though a maid cleaned it after every person
top shelf liquor at Memories was NOT included and not available at Royalton
menus need to be more accurate in description
chicken breast on menu will be legs when brought to you
salad is always tomatoes and shredded romaine with olive oil (no micro greens/spinach here)
lobster salad on menu is shrimp
limited seating for entertainment, no true stage
sunwing service was terrible, not enough agents, delays both ways, will never fly sunwing again.

Good things:

amazing beach, can walk for miles, crystal clear water
nice pool, tonnes of seating, immaculately clean, the guy cleaning pool and surrounding areas was a perfectionist, super hard working
large rooms just like in picutres
quiet, relaxing
great coffees/cappuccino/lattes at Sunset bar
smoked salmon at breakfast was good
fresh pineapple and papaya juices
best bartenders and drinks at lobby bar
security guards everywhere
maids in every resort bathroom keeping toilets clean
beautiful live cuban music
entertainment was very good every night with good variety
synchro swim show very unique and entertaining.

butlers very humble, always available but almost like a made up job (just another person to tip), not really necessary all they do is make your dinner reservations. We didn't really need them for anything but you have to tip them anyways since they keep coming over to make sure everything is OK. They can't really fix the leaking shower door or make the food better or bring me a softer mattress.

50  Thank sunkissed53

Dear guests:

Wow, what a review! We were abashed to read the long details of it. Right from the start there seems to be a huge misunderstanding that we would like to clear out very quickly. There is no preferential treatment at Royalton, never has, never will. All of our clients are treated equally, with respect and dignity. We certainly wish you would have let us know you felt that way during your vacation. All the food in our restaurants is the same for everyone. We prepare special meals for people with allergies for example or preferred tastes like vegetarians, but rest assured that all comes from the same kitchen and from the same ingredients. No lobster is bigger than the other, and the lobster salad is not made with shrimp. It seems you mixed up our two Sunset entrees of lobster salad and garlic shrimp. We would like to repeat and make clear once again that there is no preferences, whether you tip or not, whether you speak Spanish or not. All of our clients are treated equal.

Now, as for your food preference and comments about our bell boys, we will certainly look into it more closely and we assure you that measures will be taken to rectify the situation. Although we are surprised by your comment as it is not customary behavior, we will not permit it and ensure that it doesn’t happen. All of our menus are undergoing great changes during this time from all the great (and not so great) comments we are receiving from our clients. Our goal is to make sure that you spend an unforgettable vacation and we will always keep working to satisfy your needs.

Also we would like to mention that it is not that we are not offering the same service in the different spots in the hotel, it is that we are offering DIFFERENT services so we can always give you variety. Lobster, shrimp and filet mignon brochettes at the beach, sandwiches and BBQ at the lower pool, Sunset snack menu is available 24h for everyone, and fruit brochettes and ice cream at the upper pool. You simply choose what you prefer from where it is coming from. It is not a matter of offering other items to other people, simply offering more for everyone!
As for the Royalton IDs, they are very important to go in and out of the resort. Security is high as we need to make sure you are in a secure environment. Our little gem is brand new and many people want to stop by and visit it, which can be done by reserving with the customer service of the other hotel you are staying at. We simply are making sure that the hotel will no be overcrowded by customers who want to visit, as the hotel is very small and would become full very quickly, as we are certain you can understand that.

There seems to have been quite a bit of misunderstanding and miscommunication during your stay and this is quite unsettling. We are currently revising our procedures and menus to ensure the best treatment for ALL of our guests. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We would like to invite you back to at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your personal paradise, so you may experience it the way it really is meant to be.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed from Feb 7-14 and were located second floor of bungalow 10, which afforded us a view of the ocean which was a bonus. After a two hour air conditioned modern bus trip from the airport we were greeted by staff with a refreshing drink, fruit kabob, and a cold towel. They took our passports for check in returned them and the butler escorted us to our room. He explained all the aspects of the resort and gave us our prebooked reservations for the restaurants, all were for after 8 pm at night and we explained to him that it was too late to eat for us and a 6:30 timing would be better. He explained that he could not change them for the first two nights but would for the rest. We quickly changed and went to the beach which is the best beach that we had ever seen. Turquoise water and powder sand for miles on either side. The cabana guy came over and asked if we wanted shade or sun then quickly got us settled by setting up the beach chairs, cleaning them of sand and placing the beach towels up for us.
As the Royalton has this front property people from the other resorts can't sit here as security makes sure of this. Bar service is available and the waiter comes around asking what drinks you want, they also came around with ice cream bars and cones which was a nice touch. Kabobs both meat and fruit are available from the beach bar as are coconuts provided from the gardeners which after you finish the milk you can get filled with rum or if you like they will split them open and you can eat the meat from them. We had some high winds a few days so the red flags were on the beach, made it a little cool if you are in the shade. We spent these days at the upper pool which is quiet, lower pool has more people around it and all of the sun beds were reserved by around 9 while the upper pool we never had a problem getting a sun bed. Pools were a bit cool but after you got in they were fine, you have to remember it is winter there also and the water is heated by the sun. We usually ate at Eggscellence for breakfast as they had a self service table with fruits, cheese, cold cuts, yogurt, cold cereal and a toast making machine there, the snack bar only allows you to order these extra's. They appeared to have run out of butter for a few days but we found out that the other resorts were out also after speaking with some people. Couple of days we had no bacon but plenty the day before so I suspect it hinges on supply and demand. Lunch was usually at the snack bar and we also tried Eggscellence a couple of days. Good food in both places and amazing service.
The butler did come through after the second day with new reservations for the timings we wanted but we also had one for the Italian in Memories. We opted out on that one as we wanted the peace and quiet that the Royalton provided and instead went to the snack bar for supper that night. The menu for the main restaurants changes every night with lots to offer, they even have a live band playing every night which changes like the menu. The snack bar even changes up at night so that it appears to be a la carte and has a theme menu with a live band also. We never went hungry at this resort. There is nightly entertainment up by the lobby which starts around 9:30, we only took in the water show which was very good. Lobby bar has a piano player most nights and we had a saxophone player one night who was very good, they only play until the main entertainment starts.
Our maid Ozary was excellent, keeping the room very clean and leaving wonderful towel art and personal notes every day which was a really nice touch, made you feel welcome.
The staff really make this place, from the gardeners who gave my wife flowers every day to the staff that walked by with a gracious Hola and a smile. Waiters and bartenders that gave us what I would call over and above service and went out of their way to make our visit special. To Yoiky at the snack bar for the wife's daily special drink to the beach waiter who we also were served at the lobby bar and snack bar ( sorry we never got your name) to the little bartender at the upper pool Daimy who kept our glasses full and to the little waitress at the lobby bar on the last night who came over to the wife and expressed her gratitude for having been able to serve us. And for all the people behind the scenes, bellhops, cooks, beach chair guys a special thanks for all your hard work to make this resort what it is.
We will return.
A big shout out for Dave and Joan from Nova Scotia and Bob and Annie from Ontario my twin with the same bathing suit.

Room Tip: Second floor in the bungalows affords an ocean view
29  Thank Sunriseonthebeach

Dear guests:

What a wonderful review. It was such a pleasure to read you! Honest, genuine and straight, just the way we like it! You have covered every department of our new little gem like a pro!

Your review was incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time to pinpoint your opinion which is the best thing for us to guide ourselves in continuing to give you the best service we can! We like to hear our clients opinions so much, becase that is the best way to go straight to your satisfaction.

You have been very helpful dear clients, we are very touched by your generosity. Thank you.

Please come back and visit us very soon at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your diamond in the sun (wow, what a beautiful name!)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Las Dunas
Melia Las Dunas
#8 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!