“Calm and Relaxing Vacation”

Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have just returned from a two week vacation at the Royalton. People have mentioned the long bus trip but as we did our trip in the day we found it fun. They offered beer on the bus for $2.00 but they should offer water and pop as not everyone wants beer first thing in the morning.

The resort consists of individaul houses containing ten rooms in each. We had an oceanview room with large balcony which was outstanding as everything is brand new. Good tv with HBO, Showtime, CTV, BBC World service and CNN if you wanted to watch tv in Cuba!

The people were wonderful as usual (this is my 7th visit to Cuba) and couldn't do enough for you.
We did not find any of them looking for tips but we did tip well as we always do whether we are in Cuba or elsewhere, we tip for good attentive service and that is what we received at the Royalton.

I must mention the fantastic service we received from our butler ORESTES. I see he has been mentioned in a previous review when he went out of his way to help a young man in a wheelchair and that is exactly what he did for us. I am a senior who was travelling with my daughter and Orestes couldn't do enough for us. Always there when we needed him. I can't praise him enough and I feel the Royalton is lucky to have an employee like him. ARIEL, our other butler did well but it was Orestes who excelled. The two front service personnel were extremely helpful - thank you YAIME and ROMELIA! I must also mention JULIA one of the Managers who was so helpful in sorting out a problem with a telephone bill. She originates from Montreal so was very useful with her fluent Spanish!! She likes English magazines so be sure to leave some for her! Everyone was wonderful.

Now I have to mention the two negatives to be fair as a reviewer. The menu was limited and repetitive. No butter for five days or bacon on last day (not their fault as they couldn't get any). The hotel badly needs a lunchtime/dinner buffet to give people a chance to select their own food. I think part of the problem was because we stayed fourteen days so we did have some menus repeated for the third time. The food was simply bland and boring. Do take ketchup, mustard and peanut butter - I did!!!!

The beach is fantastic with soft white sandy beach and clear blue sea without seaweed. Ice creams served on the beach and kabobs where a lovely touch. Plenty of loungers.

Thank you Royalton for a wonderful holiday with beautiful staff!

Room Tip: Cottages 3,4,5 or 6 in an oceanview room is the way to go!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Lucinda03
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure to read! We remember you well and we are very happy to read your comments!! Wow, you really are a Senior Contributor! 34 Reviews, now that is experience!!!

You will be happy to learn that our menus have changed much since your last visit! We now offer 5 different menus on 5 different nights for much variety and great tasting new recipes!! We have received many different types of sauce and even Heinz Ketchup to add to our variety! Unfortunately a buffet is not in the plans for Royalton, but we have new sandwiches at the pools, a BBQ at the lower pool, and skewers and burritos on the beach every day!!!

We are honored that guests with as much experience as yourselves have taken the time to evaluate our new little gem. We continue to grow every day better because of your generosity dear guests, and it was a pleasure to share comments with you during your visit.

We certainly look forward to welcome you and your mother back again so we can show you how much we have improved at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your calm and relaxing vacation!

There are newer reviews for Royalton Cayo Santa Maria

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed there 19 Jan - 2 Feb, 2013. We have visited Cuba very many times.

The rooms we OK. We asked for a 2nd floor room - we got a ground floor room looking out at a wall of dense vegetation about 4 ft from the small patio (see photo).

The 'butlers' were a joke.

There is only one main restaurant, (two rooms , identical menus from same kitchen). There is also the "Sunset Snack Bar". The dinners were hit and miss - unfortunately a lot more miss than hit. For example, a so-called filet mignon was difficult to get a knife through and impossible to chew; a fried rice with chicken and beef was inedible. We didn't see a single vegetable in our two week stay.The Operations manager asked us, in writing, not to post any negative comments on the food to TripAdvisor - whichi should tell you something.

The bottom line - we would not return to the Royalton, ever.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
20  Thank Lurgy

Dear guests:

First and foremost we would like to clear up that we did not ask you not to write negative information. Everybody has a right of their own opnion and be far from us not to let you express yourself. From your 2-star comment, it is quite clear that we do not use this method. What we expect from our guests are real, honest and objective comments from our clients that help us grow, just like we are real, honest and objective with you as well.

What you did not mention was that we did approach you many times during your stay to ask for your opinion and took measures to fix what you did not like like, including preparing you special meals.

As for the second floor rooms, as we explained to you during your vacation, were not available for an upgrade unfortunately, which we would have gladly given you as we have done with other guests when it is possible for us. It unfortunately does not happen often as they are always sold out in advance, but if we get a cancelation, we never leave them empty. We did offer you a free late check-out so you could take advantage of your last vacation hours in your first floor room.

It seems you have misinterpreted our comments dear guests, our only goal was to was satisfy you. A disclaimer sheet is done when compensation has been given for unsatisfactory services and we believe this is the case foryou. All hotels, new or old, need to improve and stay up to the standards of their clients and that is why we tried so hard to please you.

We sincerely wish you find a hotel that suits your needs as here at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, we will continue to dedicate ourserlves to our guests so they spend an unforgettable vacation.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just loved our time at the Royalton, it was exactly what we needed a quiet small resort without all the hoopla. The food, to my surprise was quite good just a wee bit more variety of vegetarian would have been great. Our butlers, Lionel and Roberto and of course we can’t forget our maid Sandra they contributed to our experience thank you. Plus a big thank you to Mario for playing chess with my husband it made his vacation complete…and hopefully when we return to Cuba in the future Royalton is the place for us, thank you Royalton for an awesome vacation.

13  Thank DCR1234567
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments! It was a great to read you! The pleasure is all ours!!

Rest assured that we will let our staff know that you say hello! We are so happy that you have enjoyed our peaceful and restful environment. Our activities are passive but nonetheless interesting, classy and fun!

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback dear guests, your satisfaction is our satisfaction!

Hopefully we will welcome you again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your perfect hotel!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Royalton far exceeded my expectations. In my review, I will try to include things that have not already been mentioned. Where to begin? We were first greeted by our butler who kindly escorted us to our room with drinks in our hands. Our luggage soon after brought to us by the hotel staff. The butler gave us our dinner reservations for the week and it was up to us whether we wanted to follow them (which we did), or go to the Snack Bar restaurant which offered the best calamari and burger I have ever eaten in my life. Each night was a different themed menu and I very much enjoyed the live instrumental music to accompany our dinner. We were not given a bracelet to wear for the week which was a nice change. The pool side service was phenomenal. The bartender came to us every 15 minutes to take our drink order. She also came to us and offered fruit on a stick, cold cuts and cheese, and ice cream cones on a daily basis. We were given beach towels that we could change daily at more than one location at the resort. The nightly turndown service would include replacing our beach towels if we hadn't not already done so. Upon arrival at the beach which was a short 1 minute walk, an attendant would prepare our chairs depending on whether we wanted them in the sun or in the shade and would brush off any sand on the chairs. The bathrooms in our room were huge, with a shower head that I wanted to bring back home - very strong and accommodating to my husband who measures 6'3. The cleanliness of the resort was a big plus for me. Any bathroom that I visited were very clean and I didn't have to walk far to get to one. The room service was excellent. Our order would come within 15 minutes, even during the busiest time of day. Twice I ordered food that wasn't available on the room service menu and the hotel staff did not argue against it. What I enjoyed the most was how relaxing and peaceful this resort was. I do not believe I will ever go to a resort with more than 120 rooms again. I felt like my needs were given extra attention and I found myself to never get annoyed, impatient or stressed out. My husband and I took a walk to the resort next door (Memories) one afternoon to eat lunch. We stayed for about 10 minutes and left. It was loud, very busy, and gave me an even greater appreciation for our quiet resort. The fact that there was no buffet at our resort was new to me and I now love the idea of a la carte only. My husband never found himself to be hungry after our meals. If he did, room service was available, as well as the snack bar that offered a full range of menu items available 24 hours. The 1.5 hour drive to the resort did not feel like 1.5 hours because we were just happy to be in the sun and warmth, and beer was offered to us at a very low cost.

38  Thank Jocelyne3573

Dear guests:

Thank you for your beautiful comments! It is always a pleasure to read your guests review and we are always amazed at your generosity! We can really tell that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

If you only knew how important your comments are to us!! We read each and every one of them and we feel that you deserve an answer for taking such good care of us in the first place! Your comments are the ones who guide us to a better hotel and product!

We sincerely would like to thank you for your kindness dear guests, it was a delight to read your wonderful comments and it makes us very proud to hear that you had such a wonderful vacation.

We surely hope to pamper you once again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your heavenly hotel!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fantastic service, super friendly staff and the food for the most part was surprisingly good!

Thank you to our butlers Yoldy and Erick for being there when we needed them and fulfilling our requests. The housekeeping was okay. The bed was always made but sometimes just a general tidy, new coffee cups, restocking the fridge and coffee for the in room coffee maker would have been nice. We always left a peso for them though.
The beach was PERFECT. Except on super windy days...which there more of than not. It is winter there after all.
The pools were gorgeous, a little chilly, but as soon as you got in it was lovely. Pool side service was great too.
Want to give a special shout out to Franco. Thanks for the entertaining discussions and friendship. Your energy was appreciated! Your English (and french) is better than anyone else's there and you should be some sort of tour guide or liasson to us non-Spanish speaking tourists. We need all the help we can get!
Most of the reviews on here a pretty bang on to what we experienced except we had no problems with our room, even though it was a garden suite. We always had hot water, good pressure and no bugs. We were in 506, just a walk out to the lower pool, snack bar resto, pool bar and the beach path.
Want to make a comment about one reviewer who felt that the tipping was a bit rampant. Tipping is a personal choice, it's not mandatory. The individual people that get tips do not keep them all. They are given to management and distributed evenly among all the staff so that gardeners, cooks, dishwashers and all those behind the scenes are taken care of too. After all the average wage at these resorts is less than 25 pesos per month. A Cuban will not innately give you bad service if you do not tip, I feel it's just not in their nature. They're a friendly and proud people who love to laugh and have a good time. You should take all comments with a grain of salt though. Everyone has different experiences.
The problem is bringing a north American attitude of how service should be and expecting an entirely separate country and culture to adhere to it. Sure some silly comment is made, but I would never take it seriously.
All in all, great place to get away. Try to avoid Memories, it's a gong show. Although if want to snorkel and see lots of fish you have to go the very end of the beach where the rocks outcrop, and the crowds are BIG. Best around 4ish, when the beach starts to clear.
Best thing we did, rent scooters. It's cheap and fun and you can explore on your own.

10  Thank Lisah S

Dear guests:

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Your review was very interesting and it is easy to see that you are an avid traveler.

Your comments are very important to us as they are the ones who guide us on the right path to your happiness. It is nice to note your comments about how everybody has a different opinion and to take comments with a grain of salt. Everybody has their own point of view, and something you may like may not be acceptable for others. We try to make sure that we touch every different need for everybody so that everybody can go home happy!

We very much appreciate your comments dear guests, thank you for sharing them with us!

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your paradise in the sun!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just got back on Thursday and had a fantastic trip. The bus ride to the resort was LONG (almost 2 hrs) and we had no washroom on the bus. Check that out before you drink too many beers! It was nice that we arrived at 10 a.m. at the airport so we were able to check out the countryside and the 44 mile causeway on the way to the Resort.

The Royalton was spectacular; clean and with gorgeous views. The rooms were clean and spacious but, we started to get some ants our second last day (pretty much all caribbean hotels have one bug or another so this was expected). The water was only luke warm the first couple of days in the room but, things got better as our week went on. Maid service was great as well. The pool looked inviting but, was a tad cold. It is their winter too after all :) We spent about 1/2 our time at the beach and the other 1/2 by the pool. The ocean wasn't cold and we went in often.

The poor butler tried to show us the highlights of the Resort upon our arrival but, it was a gorgeous day and we had heard the next day wouldn't be so nice, so we hurried him along so we could get to the beach! I think we saw him 2 times after that (you get two butlers who alternate their days off). We heard great things about some of the butlers who ran baths for their clients or set up a romantic dinner for them but, neither of ours treated us to anything special. We'd never had a butler before so it didn't bother us in the least, however, we didn't tip them when they came looking for a tip on our last day. We did tip the maids every day along with the bartenders and everyone else who provided us with their time and smiles (including the gardener who provided me with a beautiful flower each day he saw me).

How do I describe the beach? Look at my pictures. When we walked over the 'crest' by the beach bar and saw the amazing teals and blues of the crystal clear water I said 'the 2 hour drive was worth it'. You could see white beach sand for miles in each direction and brilliant coloured hobie cats dotted the waters just offshore. All of your worries melted away and I literally felt tears welling. We have beaches where we live in Nova Scotia and they are beautiful but, on this day the water was completely calm and there wasn't a cloud in the sky; heaven on earth to be sure. We parked ourselves on a sand bar just off shore and bathed in the sun with our rum punches and pina coladas for the next 4 hours of daylight we had left.

I was sick on Day 2 (from heat stroke not the food). I was able to enjoy a majority of the day by the pool and ended up in bed for the rest of that evening. We ordered room service when I started to come around and it was there within 1/2 hr. We also ordered up an extra pillow (which took awhile but, it got there).

We spent some time every evening in the Cafe Bar by the lobby which is open 24 hours. There was a pianist there each night and shows took place outside of the lobby (we missed all of them so I can't comment). The a la carte restaurants (Eggscellence and Senses) were okay; food in Cuba doesn't appear to be that great anywhere. We were never disappointed at breakfast however, and enjoyed our french fries and hamburger at Sunset Snack Bar late one evening. They also have sandwiches at the 'lower' pool bar each afternoon that you can grill yourself that we enjoyed as an afternoon snack/lunch. The Beach Bar also served some great marinated pork one day that we enjoyed along with some fresh fruit skewers.

The first few nights, we met great couples who were all heading out the following day so that was sad but, on the third night we started meeting couples who were going to be there longer than us so made some great friends.

The drinks were great and you just had to search the different bars to see who had the top shelf stuff and ask for it! The bartenders were friendly and open to anything you wanted them to attempt putting together for you.

Visit the 'Market' and pick up some trinkets and definitely visit the Japanese Restaurant in the Pueblo as well! Only 10 pesos each for the Japanese Restaurant and all reviews I heard were the same as ours; terrific food!! You just register at the front desk.

We did not do any excursions this year as we had done all we had wanted when we had visited Varadero some years before. We had enjoyed the Catamaran tour when we did it then and had great reports on it from others who had done it during this trip. We went over to the Pueblo to a Wednesday night 'Carnival' at a cost of 15 pesos each. This included a live band, open bar and food (although we had a hard time finding good food). We had a good time. The Carnival ran from 10:30 p.m. - 5 a.m. for all of you late night partiers.

Overall we enjoyed the Royalton. We love Cuba for its beaches and its people but, I think this will be the last visit for us. We try not to visit the same place twice.

Our next trip is to Costa Rica in March with our travel buddies and I am so looking forward to THAT trip report!

Try it out if you want to visit Cuba. The Beach will not disappoint but, you may wish to wait until March - May to give you a better chance of your weather being a little less windy and somewhat cool at times.

21  Thank Luvinitalways
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear guests:

Thank you for your wonderful comments. They are very important to us in order to continue giving the excellent service you deserve. We read every one of them and make sure to pass on your comments to all of our departments so that not only are they aware of what you think of them, but also of the whole hotel. This way, everybody can get a feel of what our clients really need and want.

We appreciate de fact that you took the time to give us your opinion. There are more and more people who prefer to travel around rather than to return to the same hotel.

We certainly hope that you will change your mind and com back and visit us very soon! Much has changed since you have come and visit us and we would love for you to see it!

We hope we can pamper you again at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your 5-star hotel!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Two hours of traveling between the airport and the Royalton, but ...
Time is short when going through Caibarian, Remedios, Camajuani and the 48 km on the sea.
Arrival, luggages and check-in are taken care by the hotel personnel.
The site is magnificent and clean because brand new.
Lounge music all day long at both pools. Really relax atmosphere.
Different orchestra and music each night at the lobby or lobby bar at 21:00.
Access to the Memories Theatre if you want Cuban music and show each night from 20:30
Royalton has 200 customers compare to the Memories hotel beside with 2000 customers.
The Memories hotels are a jungle compare to the Royalton.
Royalton customers can access the Memories, but the Memories cannot access the Royalton.
There are Security Guards at each Royalton entries to preserve the site soft atmosphere.
Royalton customers do not wear any wristlet to identify them compare to other hotel customers.
Royalton customers can eat free at any of the Memories hotel restaurants and buffets.
The Royalton food is the best I ever ate in Cuba in my eight trips in different hotels.
The food at the Memories is of poor quality and the wine is like vinegar compare to Royalton.
The restaurants à la carte are similar to noisy cafeterias at the Memories.
Royalton majordome Noelvis was really appreciated by everyone.
If you want to make him happy, bring him color felt pens, this is really rare & appreciate in Cuba.
The rooms are huges with a super king size bed, anda bath independant of the shower.
There are 22 large beddings around the two pools, along with confortable long chairs.
There are enough long chairs at the pools and beach for everyone at all time.
The Royalton is neighboring the Pueblo: stores, restaurants, bank, disco and bowling.
The Royalton is a real 5 stars, compare to the Las Dunas and Buenavista hotels which are nice 4 stars, while the Memorie Paraiso and Memorie Azul are simply 3 stars.
Royalton is more expensive, but it worth it. If you try it, you will become addict of 5 star hotels.
Luc and Sylvie from Quebec.

Room Tip: It worth pay more to get a King size bed, but view to the sea is not a must because the garden sides...
18  Thank Luclaf
Omar D, Manager at Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear guests:

OMG we love your sum it up paragraph! That is exactly what we should put in our advertisements! It is absolutely perfect! And we will repeat it here: 'The Royalton is a very low-key, relaxed, upper-scale adult resort, which is best suited for experienced and mature travellers who understand Cuba, don't want the party scene, and just want to de-stress in a quiet way. Might not be right for everyone ~ but it was perfect for us.' Wow, we are so happy to have been perfect for you! Thank you so much!

Your comment is so interesting to read as you know Cuba so well, it gives such an exact idea on how to travel to this wonderful country. Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and our future clients, your comment is incredibly helpful and informative. Amazing!

As for tipping is concerned, you have worried us a little there on the subject, as tipping, is done as the wish of the clients. Clients are not obligated to tip as they have paid an all-inclusive before leaving and nothing else need to be paid on site. Should clients want to contribute, it is of their own free will. Nevertheless we have addressed the issue as obivously and religiously, clients should receive the same service whether they tip or not. That is very important to us and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Incredible review dear guests, thank you once again for such clarity and honesty.

We certainly hope to welcome you once again to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, your total relaxation hotel!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Melia Las Dunas
Melia Las Dunas
#8 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!