“Paradise!!”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto
“Paradise!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was my second time to Cuba, the first time was in Varadero. I have to say that our stay at the Melia far surpassed my expectations. I did a lot of research before booking including reading people's reviews on here and I honestly didn't have a single complaint. The resort was gorgeous, nice plush grounds, a beautiful airy spa, great service and friendly staff. The rooms were also very nice and spacious. First off I have to comment on those who complain about the food. You absolutely cannot expect gourmet dining in Cuba and all the condiments that we have and use in North America. To complain that they didn't have ketchup to me is a bit ridiculous. Anyways, I'll break everything down by category.

Check in: Our flight arrived in the night so we didn't get to the Melia until late night. Check in was a breeze and they had the little shuttles to take us to our rooms. We were able to get something to eat at the pool snack bar which is open 24hrs (great for the late night munchies or drinks). They did have a little food out but it was just what was left overs so was not appetizing. Had we known we could have ordered a fresh pizza, we would have.

Room: Entering our room I was pleasantly surprised, it was exactly as it looked in the pictures. Very clean, and very roomy. A huge big comfortable bed with lots of pillows, a nice area with sink and lots of counter space, separate washroom with badet, mini fridge that was stocked daily with water, beer and pop. A large sitting area with a day bed and table and chair.

Grounds: The grounds were absolutely lovely. Very plush, nicely kept. Trees and shrubs throughout the entire grounds.

The Beach: BREATHTAKING!!! GORGEOUS .. INCREDIBLE.. Need I say more. Our first glance at the beach in the morning was all this and then some. The water was sooo warm and crystal clear. I couldn't get enough of it. I have never spent so much time in the water anywhere as I did here. Another week just laying on the beach and doing nothing else would have been fine with me!

The Grill: We ate lunch here every day and the food was really good. This is located near the beach so it was the most popular spot for lunch. They had everything from fish to salad to burgers to pasta and a different special each day.

The beach Bar: Had the best drinks, especially for blended drinks like pina coladas. I recommend taking a thermal or travel mug so you're drinks stay cold (note to self for next time). ; )

All in all this was the best vacation ever and i will definitely go back in a heartbeat. We never had problems getting water, it was replenished daily. We went on the catamaran day trip which was awesome. It was my first time snorkeling and it was amazing however I would recommend taking your own snorkeling gear as theirs wasn't all that great ( I kept taking in water for some reason!) Being on the boat was beautiful and we were well supplied with drinks the whole time. The best time was when we stopped at an island and had an hour to swim or whatever. We met some fantastic people from the surrounding hotels on the boat, not to mention the crew was great fun!

As you can see, I could go on and on about the Melia. It was well worth it and I would recommend it to anyone looking to go to Cuba.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kia51
YArjona, Quality Control and Guest Service Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Dear friends from Toronto:

We heartily thank you for taking the time to write this detailed and nice comment on our facilities, services and staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I just hope future travellers will take into account your reliable report when choosing the right destination for their next vacation.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another wonderful stay among us.

Cayo Santa María

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newmarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

Dates : Mar 8-15.

Travel : Skyservice - no problems, Bus trip to MCSM was late and in the dark. The tour guide rambled on and you couldn't see anything in the dark. Would have preferred to nap in quiet. Bus trip back to the airport at 5pm was great. Lots to see especially with DST change the day before we left. Guide was informative but not talking the whole time.

Weather : Fantastic. We missed the cooler weather from the previous weeks. Yellow flags most days and one day of cloud (relief from the sun) with the sun occasionally peaking through but we hit the beach every day except for departure day.

Pool: nice to swim in. refreshing, not too cold. The swimup pool bar was crowded at Happy Hour.

Beach: relaxing, lost of fun to swim in. Slight beach damage in front of the SOL but otherwise the beach is in great shape even though its tiered in some areas. . I hope that when they expand the Barcello (to the largest resort in Latin America) and finish the new resort at the far west end (way past the Sol) that this beach does not become like Punta Cana with one resort after the other. Seeing the pelicans fly and synchronize their diving bombing into the water was a highlight for us. Could have watched that show all day.

Room: 1011. Clean, private (faced beach direction but looked into hedges). Beds were fine.

Food: Excellent. (enjoyed the 3 men singing with their guitars) Lots of choices at the buffet so you could have a different meal each day. We didn't eat lunch often as we wondered down the beach after breakfast and stayed there until 3-4pm. Ate at Italian and Mediterranean restaurants.

Entertainment : so,so except for Michael Jackson act. We avoided the remaining shows and had more fun at the Lobby bar where some guests started playing piano and harmonica. We danced and sang along while they played. They did this while the main entertainment was going on.

Staff : Fantastic except for the Nautique guys. Say hi to Osbiel and Elvis at the swimup Pool Bar. Ask them for one of their famous Chocolate Monkey drinks

Misc: I had a little accident the first day as I was walking from the swimup Pool Bar back to my chair. I broke through one of the grills around the pool and cut my left leg up badly and bruised my knee on the concrete. Had to speak to the General Manager before seeing the medical staff (who did a great job so I did not get an infection later on) so they would pay for the doctor's fees. Be careful as the plastic grills get weak from sun and chlorine exposure. The manager indicated that replacement grills were on order but took a long time to be delivered.

Tip: If you like staying down af the far west end of the beach, instead of walking everyday which gets your feet sore on the beach, take advantage of the free bicycles and pedal down 3-4 kms and hit the beach through one of the paths you can see from the road.

It was a super relaxing week. Don't get stressed out over the little things. I don't mind walking over the the bar to pickup a drink if the waiters are busy. In fact its nice to stand in line to talk to other guests while you do,. I could have stayed 2 weeks if I had the time but I would definitely like to return again in the future.

6 Thank Nmkt2002
YArjona, Quality Control and Guest Service Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 10, 2010
Dear Mr. Mrs. from Newmarket:

I have read with a great pleasure your review regarding your stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I really appreciate your nice comments on our resort. You make us feel that our daily efforts are really worth it since they seem to result in our Guest Satisfaction. I understand there are certain issues that require some work, so I must thank your valuable comments, which will help us improve our general performance.
I’d be very pleased to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another memorable stay among us.

Best regards,

Lindsay, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

Never been to Cuba, first time, loved the resort, loved the staff, loved the beach, loved the food, loved the friends we met, its the best! If you want a nice, relaxing holiday, with good times, go, you will never regret it - Going back next year (I hope)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dianne50
Dear Mr./Mrs. From Lindsay, Ontario:

I had a great pleasure reading your nice comments on our facilities, services and staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. Hopefully, your review will be a reliable source of information for future travellers.

Best Regards,

Petawawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

This was our fifth time staying at this hotel which, in the past, we have always loved. The location on the northern shore of Cuba is fantastic. The resort is on the Atlantic Ocean so In late February the water temperature is about the same as Ontario lakes in early summer.

Since our last stay, the resort has come under new management and several changes have been made including: major changes in supervisory staff; scaling down of remaining staff; and, the removal of "student" employees. All have had a negative affect upon the operation of the resort. Great emphasis is now placed upon tipping for service, which was not there before. From talking to other patrons, the average amount spent per couple for tipping was between 180-200 Cuban Pescos.

The most outstanding area of operation is still the Swim-up bar where the long term employees Osbiel and Elvis continue to provide excellent service to patrons. The bar itself is well-designed and contributes to an hospitable atmosphere.

Service in the lobby bar ranged from good to very dissapointing depending upon which shift was on. Two of the shifts were great; one was very sub-standard. It used to be fantastic overall. Tips, for even poor service, were expected which we (Canadians) may have contributed toward. (For example one evening, when the poor shift was on, we watched one woman go to the bar, buy a round of drinks, load them on a tray herself, tip the bartender (one of three who stood there), carry the tray to her table, and return to the bar with the empty tray).

Last year we stayed at Las Dunas because the Melia was being "renovated". If that is the case, not much was done. We still preferred the room layout of the Melia over that at Las Dunas. The standard of cleanliness and housekeeping was also much better than at the newer Las Dunas.

The standard of service in the Buffet and other dining areas was good and sometimes outstanding depending upon the waiter/waitress. Meals at each of the ala carte restaurants we visited were excellent!

Overall, this is still my favourite resort in Cuba; however, the star rating should be reduced so that those going there for the first time will know what to expect.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank TravellerPet
Dear Mr. Mrs. from Petawawa:

I read with a great pleasure your review regarding your stay at Meliá Cayo Santa María. I thank your valuable comments on our resort. You make us feel that our daily efforts are really worth it since they seem to result in our Guest Satisfaction. I understand there are certain issues that require some work, so I must thank your valuable comments, which will help us improve our general performance.

Best regards,

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

Thsi resort is awful !!!! On arrival we spent 20 minuts waiting to be checked in ! there was my husband and me, another couple and a single traveller. There were other staff just chatting who ignored us !! The room was not very clean and there was still shaving stubble from the previous guest around the whole of the outside of the sink ! the food was disgusting ! i knwo you can't expect much in Cuba given their situation but everythign was covered in flies, the spaghetti carbonara was made with powdered milk and the chip fat was the colour of black treacle ! the restaurant was constantly full of black burnt smoke and you came out stinking of chip fat ! there was constant loud tecno/garage music played round the pool from 10am till 5pm. We were woken every morning at 6am by someone emptying the bins with their large wheelie bin. the staff were the rudest I've ever come accross, unless you tip the heavily that is ! the beach is beautiful but too windy to sit on. There is nothing to see or do outside of the resort, unless you fancy a trip to another resorts disco that is ! the staff in the shop, the main bar and the guy who books the Med and Italian restaurants are pssibly the rudest in the whoe resort ! If you haven't already booked this resort then I would plump for Varaderro instead I think. thsi is not a 5 Star resort, more like a 2 or pushing a 3. I guess it depends what your looking for, if you want a club 18-30 just like Ibiza and you aren;t botehred about what you eat then this is the place for you

1 Thank Sarah L
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 7, 2016
Dear customer,
Thanks for choosing our hotel for your vacations and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. First of all we would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay, we are going to pay close attention to all the negative remarks you have written in order to prevent similar events in the future.
We hope to welcome you and your family in the future to offer you an amazing holiday as expected.
Kind regards,
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

Having travelled around the world and stayed in many different countries, communities and resorts I feel I have countless experiences of different levels of services and qualities of the resorts and the staff. We chose this resort based on the recommendation of the travel agent and also reviewing a lot of the trip advisor reviews. How wrong could we have got it.

We should have known something was not right the minute we stepped on the bus to take us to the resort, when we were advised that “you can tip the driver”, for a 15 minute drive!!!!!!

CHECK IN
My wife and I, 1 other couple and 1 single traveller took more then 20 minutes to check in by the one receptionist. We never saw more then 1 receptionist the whole time we stayed there, a long 6 days. During our stay I went to the reception to asked whether they had a cigar cutter and was ignored for 2 – 3 minutes whilst she had a chat and laugh with some other staff.
THE GOUNDS
Two nice large swimming pools and nice gardens with plenty of areas for sunbathing, with shade provided by palm leave umbrellas and trees. The pools were very, very cold and hardly anyone was swimming. Throughout our stay here music, techno/house was pumped out across the grounds from 10.00 to 18:00. I don’t mind this music as long as I’m at a party or at a night club. This is not what I expect from a supposedly 5 star resort. The music was regularly interrupted by the MC who would announce the next activity around the pool, either step, aerobics, Aqua aerobics, Spanish classes, dancing lessons, BMX bike displays !!!!!! or the resort’s adopted song Raga Raga, which seemed to be played on the hour every hour, Arghhhhhhhh.
THE ROOM
A good size room with two double beds pushed together to form a large bed. A separate dressing area with a bathroom. The room had a small balcony.
There was not enough bed linen as the room was very cold in the night and we woke several times during the night due to the cold. The bathroom door was bowing due to water damage and there was no plug for the bath, as they were trying to conserve water. The overall appearance of the room was tired and needing decoration and updating. We were woken everyday at 5:45 by the garbage bin man clearing the bins
RESTAURANTS (a term I use loosely)
There are five places to eat, dependant on times and whether you have pre booked.
Buffet restaurant – this is the main eatery and is a buffet style. There is plenty to eat, but it depends on your hygiene, expected qualities and starvation levels.
Some nights we ate in this place whilst a visible smog of burnt French fries fat hung in the air, the staff opened the doors to try and blow it away. We later looked at the deep fat fryer and the fat was a black treacle colour. Flies were everywhere and the grill was black with old burnt oil.
Mediterranean Bar – You have to pre book this, I don’t know why. It is classed as an al la carte restaurant. After ½ hour following a starter and main course, most was left; we went to the buffet and had bread rolls.
Italian Restaurant - Pre book again. Again, after ½ hour following a starter and main course, most was left, we went to the buffet and had bread rolls. My carbonara was swimming in uht milk and the white fat of bacon.
Beach Bar - mainly a burger grill bar. We and others left without eating after the meals were delivered to our tables.
The de Vinci snack bar – open 24 hours cooks mainly grilled food and pizza’s. The grill here was clean and did make some good omelettes and snacks.

The main bar was next to the reception and whilst they couldn’t ruin the drinks the attitude of most of the staff was bad, unless like a lot of the Canadians there (99% of the hotel) gave tips, you then received a smile and service.

The shop – the 3 staff in the shop do not acknowledge you or were in anyway helpful, even when speaking Spanish. They have a large selection of cigars there, which are more expensive then Havana but do not have any cutters for the cigars. I had to use a plastic straw to make a hole in the cigars.

The beach was good as you’d expect from the Caribbean, but too windy and rough, I can’t blame the resort for this.

We had a great time in Havana, (4 days) the place is tired and run down but retains a mystical and fascinating style. Unfortunately, the overall impression of our holiday was bad, entirely due to our stay at this resort.

1 Thank GazzaAylesbury
Dear customer,
Kind regards,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2010

This is our third time to Cuba, and the first time to Santa Maria. We really enjoyed our week of Feb. 23 to the 2nd of March.
The rooms were nicely decorated, spacious and quite clean. The housekeeping staff did a great job, as did all of the staff at this resort. They were genuinely friendly.
We had a wonderful private patio where we could sit out and listen to the birds until the sun set.
The beach was superb! All the usual ammeneties. The waterfront staff will take you out on one of the sailboats for a tip, or taxi you to better snorkelling locations for about five pesos.
We took out the bikes one day and rode up the coast. The quality of the tennis courts were a pleasant surprise. We brought our own rackets, and the courts were never too busy. They also had a superior fitness centre.
The food was also quite good. We made reservations at all three a la carte restaurents. The Mediteranian was the best. The lobster meal available at the Ranchero restaurant left us a little disapointed. But the food at the main buffet was always excellent., with the pasta being my favorite as were the bananas flambée for desert. Food was fresh and appealing. I did stay with the simpler meals however, nothing fried or in sauces.
So if you are looking to just kick back and relax, this is a terrific place. It is far from everything, so we did not go on any excursions. A nice addition to the place would have been to have some nightlife. I heard that you could take a taxi out to a disco, but I'm not sure how far it was away from the resort.

St-Lazare, Quebec

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank coco159
Dear Mrs. Mr. from St-Lazare, Quebec:

I have had a great pleasure reading your review regarding your stay in Meliá Cayo Santa María. You cannot picture how much I appreciate all your compliments regarding our services, facilities and staff. It feels indeed very rewarding for us to acknowledge how guests are able to appreciate our efforts to achieve their full satisfaction. I just hope our guests-to-be take into consideration this first-hand source of information for their next vacation.

I’d be honoured to welcome you back in Cayo Santa Maria so you can enjoy another memorable stay.

Truly yours,