“Relaxation plus”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Melia was an excellent choice for our vacation. It was quiet and very relaxing. The pool area was outstandig and so was the beach. The staff were very frienly and accomodating. Service around he pool was exceptional. You were never without a drink, unless you didn't want one. The waiters were around constantly. There were also plenty of lounge chairs around the pool so you did not have to get out to the pool early to get chairs. This made for an even more relaxing stay.

The entertainment was very good. Every night their was a show in the theatre. The dancers were outstanding. There was also entertainment in the lobby bar every night. It was always packed with guests enjoying cocktails and the entertainment. The lobby bar was the place to go for espresso and cappuccino so we enjoyed some after every meal.

The entertainment committee kept us busy during the day with different activities. In particular, Ernesto, Deivy and Denise were very attentive and went out of their way to engage us in the various activities. They made our stay much more enjoyable.

The food was good even though the variety may not have been vast. The only blemish in the a la carte restaurants was the Italian restaurant. The food served there was not very authentic and did not meet expectations. They need to bring in someone who specializes in Italian cooking or the current chef needs additional training. The other restaurants were quite good.

We particularly enjoyed the Grill House out by the beach. They served the best calamari and deep fried red snapper that I have had on any vacation. We went there almost daily to enjoy some for lunch.

The rooms were comfortable. By Cuban standards they were probably quite good. If you are not a fan of hard mattresses you may not be too comfortable sleeping at night. The room was always well stocked with beverages daily so you were never lacking.

Overall we thought this resort was great and we enjoyed every moment of our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Roberto C
Jorge B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Roberto C
We heartily appreciate your honest review setting clear all the good and also the not-so-good things you found out throughout your stay. We are sure a lot of travelers will, as well, appreciate it. We are proud to have inspired this touching review you have recently posted! It is really a pleasure to be recognized for our personalized service and professionalism and those are precisely the aspects of our staff performance we work the hardest at.
Be sure we will always be very happy to welcome you back. Please, give us the honor of serving you once again and help you enjoy a new memorable vacation.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We just returned from a fabulous vacation at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. What a great resort! We had the best time, the most relaxing vacation, and a couldn't be happier. I read what people have to say on TripAdvisor, and I must comment that if you go to Cuba to eat hamburgers and hotdogs, you're going to the wrong country. I always wonder why a resort in a foreign country should cater to the poor choices of North Americans and British. If you travel, why not try some of the specialities of the country. We went to all restaurants and snack bars, and we chose selections like grilled fish, ropa vieja, comida criolla, camarones, arroz congris and platanos done several ways. Everything was excellent! The staff even made us a delicious paella for lunch one day.

I found the Melia Cayo Santa Maria a perfect size, so that people could get to know the staff and enjoy some relaxation rather than running around to find out where things are. The grounds, the rooms, the beach, the pool and the lobby are all pristine and beautiful. What was most excellent at this resort was the staff! We loved Nestor, his lovely wife, and Norge at the Beach Bar! We adored Juan Carlos and the Lobby Bar staff. The staff at the Parillada were outstanding. The General Manager, Jorge, was a most gracious and accommodating man, although we wanted for nothing. The a la carte restaurants were great! And the music... Melia Cayo Santa Maria has picked some brilliant musicians, and we never tired of the endless selection and professionality of the individuals and groups.

All in all, it was a super relaxing vacation (we made good use of the excellent spa... great massages and pedicures), with the beauty of Cuba and its wonderful people. Couldn't have been happier!

Our only complaint, which has nothing to do with the resort, are the tourists who come in groups, scream rather than converse at the beach, leave their children to run through the restaurants, treat the staff like servants, and leave no tips. We want you to know that you ruin the ambiance for those of us who love Cuba, the resort and the people. I doubt you act like that at home, as it would not be tolerated in Canada.

14  Thank MaryAnne C
Jorge B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear MaryAnne C,

We heartily thank your taking the time to post such a detailed review on your recent experience at our premises. You have been honest, matter of fact, sensitive and also a great writer. Our potential travelers will certainly benefit from all your comments and recommendations and we very much appreciate the good advertisement you are so spontaneously making for us.
We have been touched by the way you refer to all our employees, our Cuban food which attracts a lot of people and your praising their professionalism and human warmth. We will extent your compliments to them what will certainly make them happy and motivated to keep up the good work.
Needless to say, we will be honored to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Upon arrival to the hotel me and my girlfriend were greeted with entertainers and cocktails. The room was easily found, and we had our room keys and all inclusive bands already handed to us when we got on our connections coach so literally we were straight to our room.

Upon arriving in our room it was clean, cool, and had everything we needed.

The walk to the beach was only 5 minutes and the beach towel stop was on the way

Food was varied and enjoyable

Pools were quiet and well kept

The grounds were always tidy and maintained

The only complaint that I might have is that there was one evening where our A/C had broken, however it was fixed within the hour after reporting it to the reception

All in all, an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mallo84

Dear mallo84,

We feel very proud to have inspired this review you have recently posted! It is really a pleasure to be recognized for our personalized service and professionalism and those are precisely the aspects of our staff performance we work the hardest at. It has been a pleasure to acknowledge, through your lively review, how pleased you felt with our facilities and services. It is very rewarding to receive such nice comments which certainly stimulate us to continue working in our service quality. Thank you so much.
We hope to host you again, pretty soon, at Meliá Cayo Santa Maria.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

for our first time in Cuba we research awhile, we didn't want a busy and large resort, so we opted for a smaller one, we read all the reviews and we decided that the Melia Cayo Santa Maria would be our choice. Wow! we are sooo glad we chose this area and resort. We had a fantastic experience, the the customer service is Exceptional! Upon our arrival (which was evening) our room was all ready and not too bad, I didn't like being on the 1st floor and our bath tub had tiny ants, so the next morning we went to the front desk and asked to change our room to the 2nd floor,my husband wanted an ocean view and we inquired about that, the girl that helped us, Yulenney was fantastic, she told us their were 2 rooms available and advised us of 1 in particular that she said was nicer, for 20 cuc per night, it was well worth it. We had checked out the oceanview online when we booked and it was $300. each more, so if you want to upgrade, wait until you're there! Our room was great, yes the resort is older, but it was clean and our air conditioning was very cold, to the point we had to block the vent and put the extra blanket on the bed at night! I can't complain, our maid was great and always took care of our needs, always clean towels and extra if we asked! I used the 110v in the bathroom for my hair straightener and it was fine, other people's reviews were all about complaints, if you want a 5 star with gourmet meals, spend the extra $1000. per person and go find it, this is Cuba with the most amazing beaches and wonderful people, know what to expect as far as the food is concerned! Yes the buffet lacked flavour, but there all kinds of choices to fill your hunger, I myself did not try any of the meats as I am picky, my husband tried everything, if he didn't like it he wouldn't get it the next time, breakfast was always good, eggs, smoothies, crepes etc. the only thing that I missed was decaffinated coffee, due to medical reasons that is all I can have, but my husband always had the coffee and loved it. Every morning he got up early to get our parasols at the beach where Ernesto would hold it for us, and he'd stop at the pool snack bar for his 2 cups of coffee, and often we had breakfast there. We had our lunch daily at the beach restaurant and the service was fantastic, Manuel, Xiomara and Yusimey were great. We formed a nice raport with Xiomara and she treated us like Kings & Queens, so humble and warm hearted, Always an abundance of food to be had here, grilled, chicken, pork, fish awesome, we usually had the red snapper with calamari which actually became our lunch meal, with great salad bar and many choices, I often created my own salad with lettuce, cucumber, shredded carrots and tomatoes, dressed it at our table with balsamic and olive oil, that is at every table, great pasta salad with fresh tuna, and always fresh fruits, amazing service and smiles all around! the day we left, Xiomara prepared a special farewell lunch for us which was out of this world! we had lobster which was taken out of the shell and the shell was filled with great tomato salad and wonderful sides of rice, hash browns and salad, fantastic! Thank you Xiomara for all your great effort, service and friendship, If you go to eat there, look for her, she's an amazing lady! beautiful heart!! miss her already. We did go to the alacarte restaurants, and as most people's reviews said it was ok; with the exception of the French, it was really good! We too were part of the excellence club and the slippers in our room came in handy as well as the robes, we did recieve our bottle of rum which we brought back home with us. Our fridge was always restocked with pop, cerveza and water daily, Always something going on in the evenings, shows for kids and adults and great drinks at the lobby/piano bar. THE BEACH: what can we tell you about the beach, the gorgeous tourquoise warm water, the beautiful white sand, what more could you want??? we've been to the DR, Jamaica, St.Lucia etc, sure those places are nice, but the amazing beach at the Santa Maria, left us breathless, just wonderful!
So: if you're planning to go to Cuba, for sun/beach and relaxation; and don't realy care if you eat gourmet, the Melia Cayo Santa Maria is the place for you. We are going to make that our spot, you can't beat the price for the most incredible beach and people. Thank you again so much to all the Staff for making our so long needed vacation a memory we will cherish!

Room Tip: As mentioned in our reveiw, the 2nd floor had great views and the a/c was very strong! we were in th...
7  Thank Carm E

Dear Carm E,

Words cannot picture how pleased we have felt at reading your review. It feels indeed rewarding to receive such nice compliments which make evident that all our efforts to achieve our guest’s satisfaction have been worth it. Be sure that we will extend your praising words to all our staff so they too feel motivated to keep on working towards excellence. Thank you so much!
We have been honored with your presence at Melia Cayo Santa Maria and we heartily hope this recent visit will not be the last one. I assure you the next ones will be even greater and you will enjoy more delicious food.
See you soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Oh Cuba; land of swaying palm trees, warm sunshine, turquoise waters, and dyspepsia.

My wife and I just returned from a seven night stay at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. Our choice for this hotel was based mainly on two factors; the mostly positive reviews here, and the relatively low cost. Neither of those factors will influence my next vacation choice.

Obviously, if you read the reviews, there are those who find the Melia Cayo Santa Maria (hereafter referred to as the MCSM) to be a fabulous resort with everything one could want for a mid-winter getaway. And it is true that Cuba has much relief and recreation to offer winter-weary Canadians.

However, TripAdvisor is here, as a tool so to speak, for people to get an idea of what to expect from what they may be considering. So here, for your consideration, is my review. I find it useful when reviewers itemize the various aspects of the resort, so this is what I will do as well.

Arrival
On arrival at Santa Clara, we were boarded onto a big comfortable air-conditioned bus. Be aware that the ride from the airport to the resort is one and a half to two hours long. But, if you arrive in the day as we did, you will get a guided tour en route of the local sights. We completed registration forms while on the bus and so we did not have to register at the front desk. When we reached the resort, we were greeted with music and champagne (well, not champagne, just some sort of odd-tasting sparkling beverage). After finishing our drink, we proceeded to our room.

Room
My heart sank as we entered our hot, humid, and smelly first-floor “junior suite” room. I was advised that the mini-fridge was stocked with water, pop, and beer. But the items in the fridge were tepid. I was encouraged however after a while when the room cooled off and the fridge started doing its job.
But all was not well; the walls had grime and mold, and paint was peeling from the bathroom door. We had only four hangers in the closet. Our “view” was a wild, scrubby, brush area, that separates the hotel from the beach. After two days of enduring this room, we demanded to be moved elsewhere.
We were relocated to a second floor room in the same building, overlooking the walkway. At least this room was less humid and considerably cleaner. However, the patio door did not lock and the room door only unlocked after several swipes of our room key card. As well, the toilet only flushed every 15 to 20 minutes due to the fact that the tank filled as slowly as someone trying to draw a bath with a squirt gun. Speaking of bathtubs, this was where the shower was. No big deal ordinarily, but the sides of the tub were quite high. You had to practically be an Olympic hurdler to get in and out of it.
Only on the second-to-last day did we receive hand towels in our room (we never did get a washcloth). Many towels were stained.
I wanted to use an extra pillow for support at bedtime, but my wife advised me not to use the spare pillow located in the closet. She pointed out the many stains on it. I deferred to her judgment and left it in the closet. We also had problems getting the items replenished in the fridge.
Oddly enough, we had no critters in our ground floor room, but we discovered a gecko and another (as yet unidentified and un-Googled) specimen. My wife commented that our original room was likely too crummy even for the lizards.
We had no problems with the TV, and the channel choices were better than one might expect (HBO for example).
Be aware that the electrical outlets are 220V. If you bring something electrical that you wish to use, you better bring a converter with you. There is one 110V outlet in the bathroom, but it is designated for shavers only. I assume if you plug in a high-power item like a hair dryer, you will blow a fuse. Better to just use the hair dryer supplied in the bathroom.

Grounds
The MCSM is a lovely resort to look at. The gardeners do a fine job keeping everything spruced up. Some of the accent lighting did not work, but things were lighted well enough at night and the pool area looked particularly charming.

Pools
There are two large pools and one small children’s pool. On our second or third day however, one of the pools was closed due to maintenance. An employee said that they were using a flocking agent to clarify the water. This may be true, but the particulate matter that had sunk to the bottom of the pool looked suspiciously green. I’ve used flocking agents in my own pool and the debris that you subsequently vacuum away is more of a whitish grey color. The next day, the pool was beautiful and clear. But, now they were working on the other pool. So for two days, we only had the use of one pool. There was also a “hot” tub next to one of the pools. It was the same cool temperature as the pool, but it was kind of fun to sit in.
Chairs were generally available, but there were shortages at times (usually in the afternoon when the beach-goers had had enough of the wind).

Weather
Ordinarily I would not mention the weather in a review since the resort has no control over that. But I believe people should be made aware that Cuba, or at least the beach at the MCSM can be VERY windy. In fact, during our seven day stay, the yellow flag was out to caution beach-goers on six days, while the red flag flew on the other. Otherwise, we had a good deal of sunshine (with variable cloudiness) and warm temperatures.

Beach
The beach at the MCSM is lovely; nice, wide, clean, and with soft sand. The soft sand can be a bit of a detriment though to those wishing to take a leisurely stroll on the beach since your feet sink into it causing you to expend a little more energy than on your average Great Lake beach. The sand does firm up when walking east toward the Melia Las Dunas. They have a smaller but absolutely gorgeous beach there.
Beach chairs were usually available if you did not mind sitting in the sun. Shade was at a premium.

Staff
No problems here. Virtually everyone was helpful, smiling, and pleasant. Almost all of the problems we encountered were addressed and rectified. We just wish we had not run into so many problems.
My one complaint is that there was a shortage of staff. The pool bartender not only had to tend bar, but he made his way around both pools to take orders and serve drinks. The poor waitress at the snack bar was virtually on her own. We once had to wait an hour and ten minutes to just get an egg sandwich. Not her fault. I blame management here.

Drinks
We found the drinks to be fine, but inconsistent. Sometimes strong, other times weak. They sure were small. We particularly enjoyed the mojitos. I was hoping the sugar, mint, and lime juice in those was enough to sustain me in lieu of nutritious food (more on that later). The red wine at dinner tasted cheap.

Here is where my overall rating for the MCSM takes a severe nose dive. I found virtually nothing palatable. At the pool snack bar, hamburgers were underdone. There were no french fries. The resort ran out of cheese and we were offered pizza without it. We declined. I once made a bad decision to order a hot dog. The meat was a choice blend of sodium-chloride and mystery mush.
Mushrooms and potatoes were other items that we could not get at various times.
Our first à la carte dinner was the Mediterranean restaurant. We decided on fresh fish and shellfish on potatoes for our main course. But we were not aware that there was a shortage of potatoes at this time, so we were served the fish and seafood (mussels, calamari, shrimp) in a broth. It looked identical the the seafood soup I had just ordered and did not finish due to the fact that there was a particularly unappetizing shrimp, replete with legs, eyes, and long antennae which stuck out of the bowl. Ugh! Strike one of the three à la cartes.
Our second reservation was a late meal (8 PM) at the Japanese. This one I was really looking forward to. We had heard it was good, and had eaten Japanese at other resorts which were excellent. The chef put on a fine show cooking up the meal in front of the diners, and indeed the first few bites seemed pretty good. However, after a while the meal started to get to us due to an overabundance of sauces (lots of soya, teriyaki, garlic, and others). The sea bass seemed a tad undercooked. My wife was turned off by some strange flavors that she could not identify. We ate a little more than half of what was on our plates, but my stomach suffered for it that night. Strike two on the à la cartes.
Our final reservation was at the Italian. I love Italian food and had worked up a good appetite for this meal. We started with a plate of oil and balsamic vinegar to dip our stale bread into. Then we were given our appetizers. My wife had some strange Gorgonzola salad with a few small items surrounding two wedges of cheese that tasted a lot like plain tofu. My appetizer was an ok bruschetta. Next up was the minestrone soup. Strangest minestrone I’ve ever had. It consisted mainly of peas, carrots, and soggy croutons. I ate maybe half of it. Finally, the main course arrived. My wife ate most of her fish (a whitefish and salmon combo). I ordered the vegetable-stuffed cannelloni. One bite of this chewy, doughy, tasteless mess was enough for me. I had to retire to the buffet to get some pasta to satisfy my hunger. Strike three! À la cartes out!
The buffet had many steaming trays of strange concoctions. I ate virtually nothing but pasta since everything else I tried I just could not finish.
If you do decide to stay at this resort, I recommend eating at the beach grill for lunch. Here you will find the best salad and rice choices. The fish and grilled meat is good as well (although I was somewhat taken aback when I ordered the red snapper and found an entire fish on my plate, looking back at me).
Breakfast was very disappointing. I ate almost nothing but omelets and fried eggs. We were served inferior orange juice and inconsistent coffee. Sometimes the coffee was good, while at other times it had the look and consistency of motor oil. Fruit choices consisted mainly of guava, honeydew, cantaloupe, lousy watermelon, and pretty good pineapple (when you could get it. It was a hot item and disappeared quickly).

“Elegance” Club
Our vacation package included the Elegance Club upgrade. What you receive is bathrobe and slippers (to use, not keep), a bottle of rum (if you get it. Some people never did get theirs), and three à la carte dinner reservations made for you in advance (I’m not sure this is much of a perk since the restaurants and dining times are chosen for you). I advise against paying extra for the upgrade.

I really wanted to give a positive review to this resort. The place looked nice and the people were wonderful, but with the bad food and myriad of problems we encountered, I just cannot recommend the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. I'm aware of the embargo, and the fact that a Cuban four-star resort should be considered maybe a three-star elsewhere. This is not a three-star resort by any standards. Sorry.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor. They are less humid and less likely to be musty or moldy.
7  Thank gthombos
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2014

Dear Gthombos from Grand Bend, Canada
We heartily appreciate your honest review. Even when the services received have not fully met your expectations; you have been able to point out those aspects you have really enjoyed at our resort.
We are working really hard in the improvement of all our services and your opinions constitute a great help for us to orient our efforts. We have performed several changes in different areas and we hope that, before our next high season, essential services have higher quality.
Thank you for your contribution.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We ended our tour of Cuba at this hotel ,it was a shame that we were unable to eat in any if the speciality Restaurants .We did manage to eat together in the buffet .We extended our stay for seven nights but at no time did any management approach us !!!
Speciality restaurants the booking system is time consuming and needs to be changed !!when you do manage to book the menus are limited and don't change !!!!No chicken available when it was available at the other main restaurants !!!
Beaches were excellent clean but the broad walks were in need of repair !!
Grounds were beautiful and well kept and the gardeners were friendly and polite but new umbrellas were started and then just left !!
Our block was alright but the maintenance of the whole resort is needed to be completed lots of the blocks needing major repairs !!
Entertainers worked really hard but often were offering activities people didn't want .The extremely loud music around the pool is unnecessary we go on holiday to relax not to attend a disco !!
The weather in the main was good but then it was windy the beach party took place in the bar so people couldn't enjoy a conversation it should have been done in the theatre area .The Michael Jackson show was very professional ,but I feel the start time is too late .I enjoyed the water ballet it was excellent .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary38677
Jorge B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear guest from United Kingdom
Receive our most respectful greeting from sunny Cuba.
We heartily appreciate you honest review. We understand some of our services did not exactly meet all your expectations but we thank your giving us the chance to identify these improvement opportunities.
Your comments have been a reliable guide to start correcting some of these issues that impair our guests can have a memorable vacation, such as the food style and selection. We have been working really hard in this respect and concerning the reservation of a la carte restaurants we always have to take into account availability. We have recently made some repair works in the rooms, for example we are replacing the old linen and painting them; It will always be a pleasure to welcome you at Melia Cayo Santa Maria as our guests. Please, give us the chance to serve one more time.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here recently for six days. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too kind to us. Horrendous rain. However, on the couple of sunny days we were able to enjoy the beautiful beach. We enjoyed watching the pelicans flying over the sea in search of fish. We ate in the three specialist restaurants. Food was o.k. Nothing special. Japanese the best. The room
was fantastic. Incredibly spacious. This was our first trip to Cuba. We had an extensive tour
of the island before we arrived here. As others have said food is not the reason to come to Cuba.
All the staff were incredibly friendly especially Danny who made our omelettes and the lovely man
Who wizzed up the smoothies each morning. Yammi at the pool bar always greeted us with a smile. An enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Travelers:
Receive our most respectful greetings from sunny Cayo Santa María.
We would like to thank you for this nice review expressing in details how it felt to stay at our resort and experience our natural environment, personalized service and human warmth.
We are certain that other vacationers will find your comments very useful while choosing their next holiday destination.
We really hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Las Antillas
Melia Las Antillas
#11 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!