“Awesome Holiday”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto
“Awesome Holiday”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I spent a week at this resort in June with my Mother and some friends and we had a brilliant time. We were there during shoulder season, so it was pretty quiet - but I didn't feel like things were unnecessarily shut down. It actually made it easier to get restaurant reservations and there weren't enough people for Chair Hogs to be a problem.

The rooms are huge and were kept super clean, I didn't even see a bug in mine (and believe me, I'm normally the one to find bugs). Housekeeping service was daily and very good - I actually never saw the housekeeper, but she did a beautiful job keeping my room in order.

Food was actually better than I anticipated - much better than the food at the Las Dunas when I was there five years ago. I thought the buffet was tasty, if a bit repetitive. We tried the French, Japanese and Italian A la Carts and I really enjoyed them all. By far our groups favourite was lunches at the Beach Grill - awesome food, lovely employees, beautiful view of the beach and the BREEZE could not be topped.

In terms of entertainment, we didn't watch any of the shows but they seemed very well attended. The Lobby bar was busy every night, but this definitely isn't a huge party resort. We were totally ok with that as we preferred to day drink and relax in the evenings.

The pools were lovely and the Beach was just so magnificent. It was quite warm when we were there so we ended up spending more time in the pools than at the beach, so we could be in water and shade at the same time - but the beach was so beautiful.

I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing beach holiday!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Sarah S
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear TOGirl

Thank you very much for your comments, and something you say is very important for us, to be able to succed several person expectations when they come as a family is not easy so I am very happy that we did it.
We are trying to get better and to improve both, food but also rooms, I hope you enjoy more the next time.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I just had 7 days at the hotel … the fifth time for last three years.
I have a good experience on staying in Varadero, Holguin, Cancun and Maya Riviera resorts. However, when I am looking for a package of truly relaxing atmosphere, beautiful glorious beach, safe swimming in the ocean, clean well equipped room, sufficient variety of food (good fish included) and ripe fresh fruits - this resort is my choice. A special word should be addressed to the staff who works really hard to please us. Everyone (a manager, waitress, bartender or server) was friendly, smiling, informative and very helpful. As always, an evening entertainment was very good; it starts earlier now at 9:30pm what I like better. The Cuban singers and dancers were simply wonderful.
The holiday was amazing again, I will be back.
Thank you all for a great service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Svetlana S
Dear Svetlana

I hope you could notice all changes we are doing but before end of November wi will change garden lights, Mediterranean restaurant, Fun Pub and also Lobby and Lobby bar decoration, It will look different.
I hope you enjoy your sixth time at the hotel even more.

Ottawa
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Melia Cayo Santa Maria (MCSM) during August 9 – 23. It was our fifth time staying at this resort and we will definitely be returning for a sixth stay for our next holiday hopefully later this year. This was our first trip in the summer and it was definitely hotter than other times, but I enjoyed the weather, especially the temperature of the water in the pool and ocean.

Staff/Activities:

I will start off by thanking everyone on the entertainment team. They go out of their way to make sure everyone is having a good time and are a big reason why we keep coming back to this resort. I played beach volleyball every single morning, soccer on about 8 occasions when there were enough players, and even tennis (for the first time in 20 years) twice. There were also many games of Domino in the evenings which were a blast.

In particular, I would like to thank: Arel, my good friend on the entertainment team, who makes all the activities fun with his “motivational speeches”, whether we’re on the same team or playing against each other; Alex “Domino”, who always cheers us up with his attitude and plays great music at the beach and in the lobby; and, Ernesto, for the excellent tennis lesson. I had so much fun that I am planning on getting myself a racket and playing here at home. Also, thank you Lazaro, Denise, Daike, Kenya, Julien, Orlando, and the others whose names I have left out. You all played a major role in making this holiday so great and memorable. Other activities that I remember included: tai chi, aqua aerobics, regular aerobics, two daily group dance lessons (1. salsa; 2. meringue), water polo, archery, and contests by the pool (Miss Bikini).

In addition to the entertainment team, all the other staff at the resort also played a big role in making our stay enjoyable with their friendly, courteous, and professional service. The service in the buffet was excellent this time. In the past, there were a few waiters and waitresses that you knew you could count on for great services (Anavailis, Javier), but others would be hit or miss. This time every single server was excellent whether we knew them or not. They were very attentive, filling up your empty glasses right away, promptly removing finished plates, and asking if you needed anything. The same thing can be said about the snack bar, where I can say we did get very bad service from certain waiters in the past, while getting excellent service from others. This time the service was always very good from all of the servers.

As always, the bartenders and waiters in the lobby are very professional and friendly. They do a wonderful job serving you promptly with a smile and asking you how your day has been. Thank you Juan Carlos, Dany, and Ernesto, among others, for your excellent service. Also, the guys that stock the mini-fridge did a great job. The fridge was always stocked when we returned to our room in the evening. If I happened to be in the room when they arrived, they were very friendly and always gave us extra drinks and water.

Return Guest Dinner

I was happy to see that the resort decided to reinstate the dinner for return guests, because it provides us with an opportunity to spend an evening and have dinner with our good friends on the entertainment team. My one complaint would be that the setting was more formal that I would like. It was held in the French restaurant with live classical music being played, which was nice. In the past, it was held at the beach restaurant with live Cuban music (salsa, meringue, bachata), and an opportunity to dance. It was more of a party atmosphere. However, as I mentioned, the most important thing is that we get to spend time and have dinner with our friends on the entertainment team, so I will still be very happy if it is kept the same the next time we go.

Evening Entertainment:

This resort really has an abundance of talented musicians and singers. A few different small groups entertain the guests in the buffet every evening and take requests at a few tables. They are very talented and have excellent voices. Also, “Black and White” are true entertainers. They are usually in the beach restaurant and snack bar during lunch entertaining people with excellent music and some comedy mixed in. Our personal favourite is Guillermo’s band that plays in the lobby every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday evenings (8pm). They are an excellent band that plays a wide variety of music; in addition to salsa and meringue, they also play tango, rumba, jive, fox trot, waltz, etc. They are very friendly and are always happy to take requests. Guillermo always asks us what we feel like dancing whenever he sees us in the lobby and plays it right away. There are also other musicians that play in the lobby, at the a la cartes, and in various other locations at the resort that do a tremendous job. If you like tango music, be sure to ask the duo (guitar and violin) that usually play in the Italian restaurant to play one for your.

The resort also has many extremely well-trained and talented dancers that perform in the evening shows. I did not catch as many shows this time, as I have seen them all before, but I always enjoy them because the dancers make everything look so easy. However, I always make a point of catching the show on Tuesday nights because of the amazing Michael Jackson impersonator and the final dance routine of the show dedicated to peace.

I really like the addition of the after-show entertainment in the lobby bar. On our past visits, the resort was usually pretty dead after the show, which wasn’t terrible because you could sit and chat, play cards, or go for a walk around the grounds. But this addition, with a DJ, entertainers leading dances and encouraging people to join in, and many opportunities to dance some salsa, meringue and regaton really brings life and energy to the place. I think that it would be a good idea to retain this activity permanently.

Other entertainment included: magicians doing card tricks (very good), bmx bike stunts by the pool, evening pool or beach party, daily children’s show in the theatre, bingo, etc. The resort also has pool tables in a game room, a ping-pong table outside, board games, and tennis rackets available.

Food:

Overall, I am happy with the food at this resort. My general rule is that I’m satisfied as long as the food tastes good, there’s plenty of it, and it doesn’t make me ill. I pretty much ate exclusively at the buffet with the exception of a couple of lunches at the beach restaurant, where the fish and calamari are excellent. Neither my wife nor I experienced any issues with food poisoning or any stomach problems during this vacation or on any of our previous four stays at this resort.

I find the buffet has plenty of variety. At dinner time, it includes: probably over 20 hot items (meats, fish, boiled veggies, rice), a cutting station (meat or fish), a grilling station (fish, pork, chicken, beef), a station where they prepare fresh pasta, a station where they prepare fried rice, a station where they prepare fried bananas and crepes, a variety of fresh vegetables, at least 4 type of fresh fruit, bread, a variety of cheeses, cold cuts, prepared salads, and deserts and ice cream. Breakfast and lunch have fewer items. I don’t think the pasta station is open at lunch and breakfast includes stations that make excellent omelettes, my compliments to Daniel and his colleagues, as well as pancakes and fresh fruit juices and smoothies/milkshakes.

The highlight of every dinner was having Fredy prepare a variety of fresh fish and seafood for us on the grill. I am definitely a big fan of his work. Also, even though I am not big on sweets, I have to admit that I eat desert at pretty much every meal (excluding breakfast) when I stay at this resort. I always manage to find a few really good cakes, puddings and ice creams. They go really well with what are probably the best cappuccinos that I’ve ever had; I have no idea how many gallons I’ve put away during all of my stays.

Complaints/Drawbacks:

As for areas that could use improvement, my only real complaint is with the currency exchange. They changed the system so that you can exchange money at the front desk instead of an exchange office that used to be located in the lobby bar area. While the system itself is fine, I find that they quickly run out of “one” peso bills and coins, which I often use for tipping. As a result, I have to visit the desk every couple of days to see of ones have come in to break my larger bills, which they eventually do, or I have to try to change them at the bars or restaurants.

I would agree that the resort is not particularly well lit away from the lobby and theatre areas. Although I don’t find this to be too much of a problem, probably because I can find my way around pretty easily after so many stays, I can see how it could be difficult for someone not familiar with the place, particularly if they arrive in the evening and try to find their rooms on their own instead of having the bellboys drive them in the golf carts. The staff should probably be more diligent in changing light bulbs that have burnt out around the walkways. In the longer term, perhaps more lamp posts could be installed instead of the lights that are closer to the ground. I’ve seen some tourists using small flashlights in the evenings, which might be a good idea.

Public washrooms: I did not find the men’s washroom that bad. It was relatively clean. I always had hand soap and there were always paper towels (I didn’t use the toilets, so I can’t comment on the state of the stalls). However, my wife often complained that the women’s washroom was in need of more regular cleaning and supplies, both in the lobby and by the pool.

In conclusion:

I hope that my review has been helpful. Even though it is clear that I really like this resort, I tried to be fair. The last thing I want to do is mislead someone into coming to this resort and having a bad holiday, because vacation time is very limited for most of us.

All that I can say is that I always have a great holiday when I stay at MCSM. There are plenty of activities for those that are inclined to participate; or, if you prefer to relax and lay in the sun, the beach and pool areas are beautiful with attentive bar tenders to serve you drinks. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful, and everyone makes an effort to make sure that you are having a wonderful holiday, particularly our friends on the entertainment team. Most importantly, the resort never runs out of rum.

8 Thank Ottawa_Domino
Dear Ottawa_Domino

You know, you and your wife are part of the Melia Cayo Santa Maria family, when you come here I notice how you feel part of us and I hope it is like that for a long time.
I hope when you come the next time you see all changes we are doing and you can help me one more time to get better.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Jill W (Notts Uk) We have just returned from a fantastic holiday feeling superbly relaxed. I agree with others that not having to queue to check in was an unexpected and added bonus. The beach is amazing - comparable to Australia and Barbados) and the bonus is that there is absolutely no pestering from sellers of any description! The staff particularly the entertainment team and the room maid were really helpful and very friendly (even the gardeners waved and wished everyone well) - we used the hobby cats (free) more than once. Pools were also super - loads of free sun beds with or without shade. We definitely recomment visiting the Japenese style restaurant - we went both weeks and it was great fun / entertaining and great food. The chefs and waiters / waitresses in the buffet restaurant also worked very hard to suit personal tastes. We did the overnight trip to Havana including Tropicana - it was a very long and busy 2 days very early start and late night included however as it was the middle weekend it broke the two weeks hotel stay up very nicely - it is pricey but easy to book locally. At the Hotel the entertainment team worked hard to provide a wide variety to suit all - the Disney and Michael Jackson tribute style shows were well worth watching. The hotel layout and the accommodation blocks are very very good - spacious and quiet - sleep quality during our stay was the best ever. Only very minor points that you need to be aware of - there is not a lot available outside the hotel due to the very long causeway etc. you do need to take 'bug spray' but no worse than any other hot humid country and I have visited loads. I would defintely recommend a visit - we went out stressed and tired and came back happy, relaxed and tanned.

5 Thank Jill W
Dear Jill

Compare our beach to those in Barbados or Australia is something to thank, we are proud of it, now we are offering food service at the beach you you still have more time to enjoy our wonderfull beach.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having just spent 14 days at this hotel, we thought we would share our experience with you,
On arrival in Cuba,our room keys,info sheets and complex maps were given to us before we boarded the bus,very well organized,and a great idea, as it saves queuing at reception.The staff really made us feel welcome and we got off to a great start.On arrival at the hotel,we were greeted by dancers in national costume,and a glass of bubbly,another nice touch.Our room was clean and well maintained with a well stocked fridge,and there was plenty of choice regarding food,with restaurants,buffets,snack bar and grills,and well stocked bars.The entertainment staff go out of their way to put on good shows,and make every effort to get to know guests and are constantly checking to make sure you are enjoying your stay.The restaurant staff,and especially the ones at the Buffet and Snack Bar,work hard to please the guests,they are friendly,curteous and happy,a great bunch of people,as are the bar tenders who are always smiling and cheerfull.
The swimming pools are a delight,and are a nice haven away from the sun.The beach is glorious,with white sand, warm water,and gentle water sports.The Cuban people at this resort have only one thing on their minds,and that is for the guests to enjoy their stay,and they will do whatever is needed to achieve this.Thank you all for a great experience,and keep up the good work.

Room Tip: We stayed in block7,upper floor,excellent room,plenty hot water,room was cleaned daily,and fridge re...
3 Thank DaveSmith2013
Dear Dave

Thank you very much for your comments, we have three wonderfull swimming pools, very clear water, two of them for adults and the other at the mini club.
Our staff os client oriented and they do their best to make you spend a great holiday among us.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Firstly can I say thanks the staff for making it a fantastic holiday everybody works so hard to make your stay so pleasant.I have read reviews on here that are hilarious I wonder why some people actually go on holiday food is different its meant to be.cuba is a country that does not have much but they make the best of what they do have The location was fantastic ,the apartments are lovely cleaned everyday by lovely maids .the gardens are well maintained by very polite and friendly gardeners.The entertainment staff are great always busy special mention to head of entertainment david lovely guy so helpful ,made our holiday very special. .Any problems we had were sorted out almost immediately sometimes before we even got to our room .Finally the restaraunts well you have 6 to chose from so how can you complain about the food ,fresh meat and fish.all the fruit you could want I really do not know,all the staff are very polite and helpful the pancake man Daniel great guy ..the bars are always ready to serve you never had to queue no problem getting sunbeds on beach or by the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mike W
Dear Mike

We are surrounded by nature and also our trees and Bushes are very well kept, in fact we recieved a price because of them.
It is very difficult to keep them nice but our gardeners work very hard to do it.

liverpool
Reviewed September 9, 2013

this review is quite long but i feel i need to expel some rumours on this site about this hotel and also be honest to other travellers.Right here goes.when arriving in cuba we were met at the airport and our bus was ready and staff were waiting there to check us in
,they had our names and rooms ready and waiting for us which saved a lot of time when we arrived at the hotel.the journey to the hotel was around one hour and fourty minutes but our transfer rep ,orlando,gave us some great info on cuba and was very informative,When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by dancers and a band which we thought was lovely and also a glass of bubbly.We went to our room 2024 where we found a bottle of bubbly waiting for us,the room was spacious with a flat screen television,coffee maker,hair dryer,and a full bar.
FOOD,food was ok,buffet resaurant was fine but not much variety,the chefs were amazing,frank and dany were great,they would go out of there way to help you in any way they could,the pool bar had great pizzas and burgers,the beach grill was the only down side,the staff there were not very friendly and the service was poor,it felt like we were putting them out when asking for things especially the chefs on the grill.
Bars. the bars were amazing,from the pool bar(ozzy you were brilliant looking after us most days) the lobby bar,lots of amazing waiters from waldermar,walter,dany all of them really.All were so friendly,lovely people
Entertainment The entertainment started very slow to be honest,the shows at the beginning were mainly dancing which did not involve any of the guests,although they are highly good at what they do it needs a bit more,the daytime activities are limited,hernesta with his tai chi and archery was the only thing really,pool party was great as was the karaoke night
OVERALL The holiday was amazing,the staff were the friendliest staff i have ever met on any holiday,the mosqitoes were a problem so take plenty of sprays,the hotel did fog daily but my wife was still bit over 100 times,no air con in any bars,We met some wonderful people there and new friends

3 Thank james k
Dear James

Really thank you for your review, I am sure it helped a lot of people.
We know always are things to improve but for me as a Manager is very dificult to see how easy is to play with a hotel name and even worse with families and their work.
There were not a single case reported that were confirmed with illness related to food.
The Doctors said that, mix of change time, more food than usual, more drinks than usual and this severe hot, are normal to cause stomach problems.
Out of 600 clients, to have in this period the number reported is not very high.