“Amazing Trip made even better because of the staff!”

and 1 more site!
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Guelph, Canada
“Amazing Trip made even better because of the staff!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

25Jan13-01Feb13
This was my second time travelling to Cayo Santa Maria first time at the Melia CSM. Now I have been 3 times to the area and will never try another resort. I will be going back to the Melia.
I travelled alone. The Cayo Santa Maria area is great for single travellers. I always feel safe and wander around by myself.
I love the Melia CSM resort because of its Staff, smaller size, and location.
I have been to two other resorts in the area and nothing compares.
The Animation Staff made my Trip Great. All the staff at the Melia were amazing from the Maids, bartenders, gardeners.
In April 2013 I went to another resort and ended up spending more time at the Melia then the resort I had paid to be at.
I will be returning to this resort many times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BeccaC-Guelph
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, October 18, 2014
Dear Guest:
We very much appreciate your synthetic and well focused characterization of our touristic product. I believe that your review may certainly help other travelers while choosing a destination that would really suit their needs and expectations. Your nice praising comments constitute some valuable motivation for all our staff to keep on working on providing guests a memorable vacation. Thank you so much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our first trip tropical for my husband and myself. It was our first inclusive and we very much enjoyed it!! Our room was very clean with fresh clean towels daily, the vanity and tub were kept clean as well as the toilets. We have been reading reviews as well and were worried but everything was what we hoped for. We always had hot water and the water pressure wasn't that bad. The food was better than what we thought it would be with no long line ups. We spent most of our time on the beach which was amazing!!!!!! The drinks were nice as well. At the end of the day we would go up to the pool area and listen to the music. The only complaints we had were the washrooms by the pool were not in the best shape and that there were no bananas on the resort. My sister stayed in Cayo Coco and was telling us how good the bananas were. We were at the resort from April 18-25. The flights were really good and we would fly Air Transat again. Once we got to Santa Clara airport we were through very quick and onto the buses. My husband and I plan on going back next year with a group of others. We are already counting down the days.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Beachtowels
Reviewed April 29, 2013

First I'd like to mention that this place is amazing!
Time to e critical noe!;-P
Food: This is my thrid time in cuba and I have to say I never got sick and for the first time I actually gained 3 lbs!!!I would suggest that everyone go to the Wednesday lobster diner it is 25 pesos a person but beyond its worth in wine and food!! The chef that cooked the lobster is great and he is also one of the cooks at the Japanese restaurant which is equally good!!! his wife is the waitress at the Japanese and theyre so cute!lol! The beach buffet, go for the fried calamari or fried fish!! I was just sad that the last day the calamari ran out!:-(
Hotel: It needs updates, for intance the pool bathrooms need to be completely gutted and redone!Also the pool bar smells awful. don't know what can cause that! Otherwise rooms very well kept and clean, although a family memeber moved rooms twice, due to lack of A/C or shower not working so I would try to get building 9 because it was much better!!
Staff: LOVED THEM ALL!!!!! Smiles galore and they're really helpful. The only thing is the lady at the desk is alone at night and she has to accomodate two busses so be patient just wish shed have some help.
Beach: AAAAAAMMMMMMAAAAZZZZZIIINNNGGG!!! the really clean the beach you see them like 3 times a day!
Drinks: Alittle strong but just the way I like them!!:)
Entertainement: every night they had a show for kids and one for adults, theres a club in the pueblo and during the day th team is really fun:)
This hotel although needs an uplift is well worth it I will be coming back for sure!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank StephanieM85
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at mcsm from April 18-25th and it was an amazing trip. There was a group of 27 of us and for the most part everyone had a good time. Rooms were very big and clean. The food wasn't great but we still found stuff to eat. Only went to the beach once due to the fact that there was no shade unless you got it early. The thing that made this trip so enjoyable for me was the entertainment staff. They made this trip very memorable. We spent most days by the pool and they were there everyday playing music and doing activities. They were very nice and friendly. Also the bartenders at the pool bar were very nice (Yosef & Osbeil). I would definitely like to return to mcsm next year!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Alexandra M
Trent Hills, ON
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our family stayed at Melia Cayo Santa Maria from Feb. 1st to Feb. 8, 2013. My wife and I have two daughters, aged 16 and 15. The week we traveled isn't the busiest time in the Caribbean, so we paid a very affordable price. The prices for March were substantially more. We booked our trip through our local Marlin Travel agency, and Transat was the tour operator and airline.

I give Transat top marks. The plane we flew down on was very clean, and had better seats, in my opinion, compared to Sunwing. We decided to pay the extra few dollars to choose our seats online, ahead of time. We also chose some of the seats to the rear of the plane where the seat pattern changes to 2-3-2, so we had two, 2 seat groups. These seats were substantially wider than the seats that are placed in clusters of 3. I'm about 6 foot 3 inches tall, and about 270 lbs., and I was comfortable. The service and free food and beverages on our Transat flight were very good. We departed from Toronto, and landed in Santa Clara, Cuba.

The bus ride from the airport in Santa Clara to the chain of islands where Cayo Santa Maria is loacted is long, but, the coach was comfortable and modern, and we loved watching the scenery go by, even at night. It's about 1.5 hours from Santa Clara to the hotel. My wife and I stayed at Iberostar Ensenachos in June of 2012, and Melia Cayo Santa Maria is only another 5-10 minutes further out, in the same archipelago.

The Transat Rep who was on the bus with us had all of us checked in ahead of time, so we received an envelope with some literature and our room keys, which saved us from standing in line at the reception desk in the middle of the night. We made the short walk to our rooms, and within 15-20 minutes our bags arrived at our room brought by some of the bellhops. It was an easy process, although one of our room keys didn't work, so I made the short walk back to reception to have the key recoded.

In the range of Caribbean resorts, this one is relatively small, which we found to be a good thing. Iberostar Ensenachos, by comparison, is huge. Melia Cayo Santa Maria is built around the pool and main building, being at the centre. From our bungalow to the pool and buffet was literally only a 2 minute walk. Even the bungalows on the edge of the resort wouldn't be more than 5 minutes from the centre.

This resort has more of a Caribbean colour palette as far as decor goes. The main lobby has a gigantic tree (looks petrified) as a centre feature, with chairs, sofa, and coffee tables all around. The lobby, restaurants and bars were all spotless, with gleaming floors. Cleaning staff are always visible mopping and dusting in the lobby. The grounds were very well groomed and clean, and all the buildings, pathways and boardwalks were well maintained. The trees and shrubs are typical of what you see in Cuba. There's a small population of feral cats that are very tame, that roam the resort, entertaining guests. We found this charming, and we frequently stopped to scratch their heads and backs (always washing our hands afterwards).

Our rooms were nice, with a lot of Caribbean colour - yellow, red, blue-green, etc. They had the usual, slightly musty smell that you have to expect in the Caribbean. We brought several small, travel-size bottles of Febreze with us and some non-electric air fresheners. Using these makes such a difference, and costs very little. The furnishings are not what you'd see in a luxury Canadian hotel/resort, but they were functional. The mattresses were a bit hard but they sufficed. The TV programming was excellent, much better than some Caribbean resorts. The bathroom fixtures are starting to wear at this resort. Our toilet tank ran through one night, and I fixed it myself in the morning by taking the tank lid off, and jiggling the valve. After that, no more problems. Our air conditioning did conk out a few times in the afternoons, but came back on by itself. I did call to reception once to ask about it, and I was told the a/c was out to the whole resort, but it did come back on that evening, and worked fine thereafter. The water system for the whole resort did fail for one afternoon, but was fixed by the evening. We did have enough hot water (perhaps once or twice it was only warm) for our stay, and our fridge was restocked often. We asked for a few items over the course of our week and always received them. We tipped our housekeeping staff every day - a good tip for our first night, and then small tips for the rest of the week. My wife and I have always followed this same practice, and it ALWAYS pays off with great service: we find towel art, flower petals, etc., every day, without fail. We did, upon arrival to our rooms, have to chase a tiny lizard out the door. It was the same, tiny lizard that you see on the pathways and rocks and trees when the sun is shining.

I'll talk a bit about tipping, from my perspective, acknowledging that this is only my opinion. In Cuba, one Canadian dollar buys you one CUC, or Cuban Convertible Peso. A tip of one or two CUC is very little by Canadian standards, but assures you of terrific service. A high wage for a Cuban is about $25 Canadian per month, so a tip worth one or two CUC means a lot to the workers. I also try and find resort workers who don't normally interact with guests, so I can thank them for their work, and I give them a small tip and I thank them by saying "Gracias para su trabajo", meaning "thank you for your work". Many of them are stunned by this gesture, and reward me back with a big smile; that alone is worth it.

The staff were excellent, and many spoke very good English, and a few spoke French. Adonis was one of our housekeepers and did a great job. Yuniel is one of the bellhops, and is very friendly. Yumeyka and Beltran are two of the servers in the buffet, and they took great care of us. We always gave small tips to the bartenders and servers. Jose is a nice young man who was working in the snackbar the week we stayed.

The beach is absolutely beautiful, with soft, fine, white sand. The water is a beautiful shade of blue-green, and there were only one or two small spots where seaweed had drifted in. There are a lot of beach chairs and palapas, but despite being asked by the Transat Rep not to, many selfish and inconsiderate guests went to the beach early every morning and "reserved" chairs and palapas for the day, which then sat empty for most of the day. We were told by the Transat Rep and the hotel staff that if we observed this "reserving" going on, that we should report it to the reception desk or the Transat staff, so resort staff could go and gather towels to free up chairs and palapas. We reported this once, and the staff took it very seriously. You have to swap used beach towels for clean ones at resorts like this, so if you leave your towel on a chair (with nothing else around it like bags, hats, etc.) for too long and it's taken by staff, you'll have to explain why you don't have your original towel. I personally think this is a great policy, and I wish more resorts would follow it. To you selfish buggers reading this review, who do try to "reserve" a chair or palapa for the entire day even if you don't use it, STAY IN CANADA, or learn to play nice. Same goes for you smokers who flick your butts everywhere and leave you cigarette packaging behind. If you smoke, please, please, please, make the tiny effort to keep your butts in a plastic cup filled with wet sand if you're on the beach, so you can throw them away afterwards, and use the many ashtrays and garbage cans scattered around the resort, rather than dropping your butts and packaging on the ground. The ocean water was a bit cold in early Feb., unfortunately. The pools were also just a bit cooler than what we would have preferred, but they did warm up as our week progressed, and they were spotlessly clean with crystal clear water.

Now - for the food. The food at the main buffet is, in my opinion, good, but not always great. Some dishes were better than others, and I did suggest to one of the buffet supervisors that they turn the heat up in the chafing dishes, as some food items weren't quite hot enough for our taste. The food was plentiful, and there was good variety. Some things stayed the same the whole week, other items were introduced on a daily basis. The food at the snackbar was really quite good. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant the most, and the Mediterranean the least. Drinks were good, overall. Make sure to ask for a Miami-Vice, if you like sweet, Caribbean drinks. We enjoyed the main lobby bar the most, and the coffee from the lobby bar and the snackbar were the best. if you're a coffee lover, be warned that there's no such thing as cream in Cuba - you get milk, that's it. The butter is unsalted, so is a bit different than what we're used to in Canada. Fruit, vegetables and bread were plentiful with good variety. Lineups weren't too bad for things like the omelette grill in the morning and the meat grill at lunch and supper. The beach restaurant was excellent, and every day had a charcoal BBQ grill going with things like whole roast pig, chicken, sausages, etc., as well as a small buffet and a la carte menu choices.

We visited both the shopping/service pueblos. The smaller one is almost attached to the resort, and the larger one is a short bus ride away, aboard a double-decker open-top bus, which was fun. One thing I can say is that in Cuba, the souvenirs are not expensive - much cheaper than other countries. The liquor and tobacco products are also cheap, and there's little difference in the price between the shop in the resort, to the pueblo stores, to the duty-free at the airport. I personally think Cuban liquor is better than what you get in Dominican Republic, especially when it comes to rum.

The only excursion we took was the Jeep tour. We loved it. The vehicles were almost new Suzuki, small, four wheel drive SUVs. I had been expecting a 40-year old Lada, but we drove really nice vehicles that were clean and had air conditioning. It was a great way to see some of the small towns, and the rolling hills and mountains as you go inland from the coast. Cubans are poor, relative to Canadians, but poverty in Cuba isn't nearly as bad as poverty in the Dominican Republic. In Cuba, you see horses, and donkeys, and cattle, and chickens, and pigs, everywhere, even in the towns. Cuba is one of the only places left in the Western world, where you can see several farmers in a row, working their fields with a team of oxen. On this excursion you also visit a small conservation area/farm where you get a great traditional Cuban lunch of pulled pork and rice and beans, or "arroz con gris". At this farm you also get a bit of a tour of the place. You get to crush sugar cane and drink its juice. You also visit a cock-fighting facility, where you can watch a cock-fight in a round pen. The roosters have guards on their spurs so they can't actually hurt themselves. I'm still a bit surprised that they feature this cock-fight thing on this tour. I think most Westerners from countries like Canada would rather not patronize this kind of industry, but, you're in another country, and it's part of their culture. On this excursion, you also get to go to another conservation area, where you are supposed to be able to ride horses and take a walk up a hill to a cave and a swimming hole. There weren't enough horses to go around for our tour group, and the ride was really only about 5 minutes long, with a guide who seemed to be in a hurry to get it over with. The swimming hole didn't have much water, due to the time of year, so we chose not to swim. Despite a few minor issues, we all loved the day, and it was a FULL day. We didn't get back to the resort until suppertime.

So, to sum up. I feel Melia Cayo Santa Maria is a good value for your money. The staff were great and the location is beautiful. I was just a bit disappointed with the food, but we had been spoiled by the exceptional food at Iberostar Ensenachos the previous year. Don't get me wrong - I never went hungry, and I had many good meals, but not many super-duper meals, except for the Japanese restaurant. Every resort has issues here and there, but we found the staff attentive to the few problems that did exist. Our rooms were well equipped and reasonably clean, with only a few minor maintenance issues. The location is one of the best in Cuba. If you read reviews from Trip Advisor or other travel review websites, you'll get an accurate picture of this resort, which is how we decided where to stay for this trip. Many other resorts that are much more expensive have worse cumulative ratings from guests. So, unless you're really fussy and demanding, feel confident in going to this resort. Remember that if you're friendly and polite, you'll probably get the same in return from the staff. By tipping the staff, at a very small cost to you, you'll get exceptional service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Bradford M
Halifax
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I must say that I was a little worried about going because of the bad reviews on here. After spending a week there, take every review with a grain of salt. We went from the 18-25th and the weather was beautiful every day 30+ Celcius. The beach was red flagged for a lot of it but we did get to swim a couple of days and it was beautiful but we stayed in the pool most of the time anyway.
We had a 4 year old with us and it was a blast especially matthew and peter the clowns!!
Food was great! Fredy cooks the best fish. Yenia was the best server ever and our little girl loved her.
Yosef and Osbiel = the best pool bartenders ever even though Osbiel was only there for the last day.
Room was great, the water pressure and temperature was only a problem on the first day, got better that night and every day after that was perfect.
The beds were firm but I wouldn't say rock hard. Very clean and smelled nice.
The only negative things we experienced was rude, cocky and immature guests at the resort.
And the ants that everyone complains about are usually only in the bathroom area and are so small you can barely see them.
If you want to go to this place, go, make your own decision because the experience is different for everyone and one person's bad review might not be so bad for you.

Room Tip: We had a second floor room 0629.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank JoekattHalifax
Campbellton, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We visited the Mélia CSM from April 11 to 25, 2013. This is a small hotel with villas that have 8 to 16 rooms each. Landscaping is very nice and gardeners are always working refreshing plants and flowers. They have a small nursery near the towel exchange with identification on the different plants.

ROOMS: They are large and everything was functioning well, our rooms was always kept clean and we had clean towels as needed. Water pressure was a little low at times but we never ran out of hot water.

BUFFET: Selection was good. We loved the fresh cooked pasta, meats and fish. The line up was not that long and we did not wait for more then 10 minutes. We got a choice of fresh vegetables every day. Breakfast was your standard egg station (as you like). We missed having fresh cooked pancakes in the morning. I only seen bacon on one morning. We had no problems getting butter, but if you like your PB & J you better bring it with you. The buffet is very warm, they need to do something about the AC.

RANCHON: For lunch it was very busy the first week and you had to wait to be seated. This is were you get your grilled meat and chicken. You have a seat, order your drinks and then get a plate and go and get your choice of grilled food. You can also order some food but there is no menu to advise what is available. Ask for the fried calamari it is very good.

A LA CARTES: Reserve as soon as you get to the resort. The new list come out on Fridays, so if you wait to long you will not be able to get reservations. The reservation desk is a table at the main lobby bar. Japanese was fun especially if you are a group, food was good. The Bistro (french) is a must, the food was very good. We also went to the Italian and it was not as good. Noddles were not cooked enough and the dining room was very warm.

SNACK BAR: Also good option for lunch. They have pizza that is very good. They also have sandwiches and other items depending of the day. Try the pork roast, it is like pulled pork and it is very good. This is 24 hours and if you have an early departure you can get eggs and toast here or if you come in late from an excursion you can have something to eat when you return. Kiki will help you out with anything you need.

POOL BAR: Osbiel will be happy to serve you and someone is walking around the pool area taking your order for drinks and bring them back to your chair. They guys did a wonderful job.

BEACH BAR: Nestor and Yemis were always helpful and did a great job. Again here you could order your drink on the beach and Yemis would bring it to you.

BEACH: Hurricane Sandy took sand from other beach and dropped it at this one. This made it a little difficult to walk. The sand had not had time to compact. The beach is beautiful and the water is a nice blue color. This is not a beach for small children, it goes deep pretty fast and the water is rarely calm. It is to bad that people can't pick up their plastic drink cups and cigarette butts.

DRIVE TO THE RESORT: Yes it is 90 minutes but it did go by fast. It is like an excursion, our guide explain and gave a lot of information. We really enjoyed it.

PUBLIC BATHROOMS: This is the only real problem with this resort. The bathrooms at the lobby bar are OK. The bathrooms at the pool...well we never seen this bad. Doors did not close, one functioning toilet, no seats and the smell was bad. At the Ranchon it was a little better but they could be a lot better. Paper was hit and miss. We were told by staff that they will be worked on in the near future.

Would we go back to this resort YES. We also liked the Melia Cayo Guillermo last year and it will be difficult for us to decide between the two.

Room Tip: We were in Block 1 and never ran out of hot water. This is close to the buffet but fastest from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple