“Really enjoyed this place!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
pointe claire
“Really enjoyed this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our second time at melia cayo santa maria and we had a very happy time. Our fifth time in Cuba and this was our best.I was concerned before going, reading about hot water problems, but no need. Sure, the pressure could be stronger but we always had enough for our showers, and this was at peak times. Room was very comfortable and clean. We needed a new fridge upon arrival and shortly after a call to customer service they were at our door to remedy the situation. All services were fast and efficient.
Food was as good or better than any other resort, especially the a la cartes. We've always stayed at good 41/2 star places as a source of comparison. Honestly, I don't know what people expect. Chill out and enjoy all the good things on offer!
Beach is one of the best. As for people reserving the beach beds, it happens everywhere. I don't know how it can be controlled. No reason to broil in the sun at the pool. Simply put your beach beds under the palms, just five steps from the pool edge. Be kind to the staff and put them back.

Room Tip: Loved bungalow 2. Close to everything and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bonnie r
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, October 18, 2014
Dear Guest:
We very much appreciate your synthetic and well focused characterization of our touristic product. I believe that your review may certainly help other travelers while choosing a destination that would really suit their needs and expectations. Your nice praising comments constitute some valuable motivation for all our staff to keep on working on providing guests a memorable vacation. Thank you so much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lhasa, Xizang, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

we come from okinawa japan. we had a fantastic stay in the melia cayo santa maria. the personnel were very hospitable and reliable especially mr. luis vannini, the manager of the food and beverage department. he was very helpful in our culinary necessities. every day of our 15 day vacation was worth every second. we can't wait to get back soon. thank you!!

mr. kenji sakamoto

Room Tip: we had bunglaow 21 which was fantastic.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Conus P
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Conus

We don't use to have many Chinesse clients and to succed your expectations during 15 days it is a great pleasure for us, specially because you come from very far...big responsability!!!

I don't know if you want to come back to Cuba but us it will be a pleasure to host you again among the team and make your time to be very happy.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

As in the title of my review, the Melia Cayo Santa Maria is a smaller, simpler resort in comparison to the resorts i have travelled to. Not to say it wasn't enjoyable.

Travelled Jan 21 - 28th, 2013 and paid approximately $650 per person which was a fantastic price. As mentioned, the resort is older however the maintenance and cleaning staff do a wonderful job at keeping things clean for the guests.

The room was very spacious and was situated right across the main pool. I would recommend requesting a pool side room as you will be centrally located on the resort.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food, not a huge selection but it was all good. Plenty of fish to choose from everyday and the usual buffet type foods.
The snack bar by the pool was great for midafternoon snacks.

The main reason to visit this resort would definitely be for the beach. Although the week i visited the weather did not co-operate there were a couple of calm days which showcased the beach at it's best!

Also, for all you fitties out there the resort has a really great gym...bonus! Equipped with everything you need to have a great workout (free weights included - I was really impressed).

Make sure to take a walk out towards the gym/spa/tennis courts and beyond, you will find a small shopping centre, it's a cool little spot to visit.

For the right price I would most definitely visit the Melia Cayo Santa Maria, and so should you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BeachScoper
Francisco B, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Beachscoper

Even if the points you gave us don't match with the experience you write, I hope next time we can get a 5 showing yu the new things we are working on.

toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We decided to go Melia for our first trip with our 2 yr old daughter from Feb.10-17/13. We read the reviews and based on that, we chose this resort. The resort is very clean and extremely well maintained. All the staff were very friendly. The food was ok, but a lot of variety. My only two complaints would be that it was too big, especially with a two year old. And our room's a/c wasn't working properly. It was so humid in our room that the bed sheets felt wet. The beach is by far the best I've ever been to. Unfortunately the night before we had to leave, we lost our camera. I left it in on the couch beside the piano in the lobby. I didn't realize it until our bus pulled up to drive us to the airport. I quickly asked the front desk and the bar to see if anyone had turned it in but they didn't seem to care. When I arrived home I emailed the resort three times and did not get a response. So many memories were in that camera and I had hoped that perhaps I would get an email back just to follow-up and confirm that no one had turned it in. They only seem to care when you get there but the minute your stay is over they won't give you the time of day. Needless to say, we had a nice vacation but no pictures to prove it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank marzToronto
Dear Marz

I am really sorry about your camera, I wrote you today because i made an investigation trying to know what happened.
We didn't find it, we had some people before leaving things and even the TRANSAT supervisor took them with her to Canada and delivered them there.

Again I am very sorry that your last thought about the hotel was that one, I hope we could have the possibility to meet you again.

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Want to start this review by saying this was not my first visit to Cuba. The staff at this resort were wonderful, Yudy our housekeeper, Ricardo the gardener, Edwardo who kept our mini bar stocked, Dany at the lobby bar and Daniel a chef in the main dining room, lovely people who made our trip special. The food at this resort was very good, best I've had in Cuba. We had requested certain accommodation and although not the exact buildings were given we did have ones very close to what we had asked for and out friends were right with us.
Now for my negative aspects, we flew out of Hamilton and the flight departure and arrival times are terrible. It was just mass confusion at the airport trying to find what bus we should get on as no one was there saying which bus was for which resort and our names didn't seem to be on any list. We finally arrived at the resort at 2:30am, no welcome drink or music, resort was dark, no porters and one poor girl on the desk to check in the entire bus of tired, grumpy travellers. My husband fell over a small stage on his way to the bathroom that he couldn't see in the dark, luckily he didn't hurt himself to badly. They need to spray for ants in the rooms, our wasn't bad but I understand others were quite bad. Too many people tied up the palapas (shelters) for the entire day and didn't use them, so you had to lay in the sun on the beach or by the pool which was almost impossible, too hot! Hot water was only to be had mid afternoon, none early or late in the day. Many, many québécois at this resort who need to show more tolerance for others as well, they are not putting themselves in a good light.
Overall it was a good holiday and if the flight times were to change I would return again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank strydersmom
Dear Strydersmom

You knew already Cuba so for us is very important to know that the food you got was much better than other resorts.
As you saw we are surrounded of grounds and water so it could happen to see ants, we fumigate everyday to avoid them but as I said, it could happen.

Anyway, looks you had a great experience and I hope you give us the possibility meeting you again in the future.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrived on Saturday April 6/13 and stayed until Saturday April 13/13.
My sister and I had an amazing time from the moment we got there until we left. The resort was beautiful, and all the staff were polite and energetic. The entertainment staff were the best!!! Yorlien, Yasel, Ernesto, and Diake made everyday a blast. They were the best part of our vacation!! They kept us going through the day with activities at the pools and beach, and our nights were non stop laughs and dancing!!! Disco at the Melia Las Dunas was super fun. Only a two minute walk from the resort, and great music and people.
The food was fantastic. Buffet had tones to choose from and we went to the French, Italian and Japanese restaurants. All the food was delicious.
Our hotel room was very large with good air conditioning. Rooms were cleaned everyday and fridges stalked. Not a single complaint.
We were so sad to say goodbye to the staff we had gotten to know and love! We are already planning when to go back!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Courtney B
Dear Courtney

I am very glad that you had fun at our hotel
No hotel has Discoteque so, as you say you can go to the Pueblo discoteque and there have fun, it is a way to leave the hotel for a while.
Our entertainment team is wonderful and they make our clients to feel home.

Hope you come back very soon.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Excellent !!!I was with my boyfriend and we really enjoyed.Everything was excellent.
I especially want to thank Luis, A & B director,he did everything possible to please our holiday.
See you next year

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sladjana P
Dear Sladjana

I am very happy that you and your couple had a wonderful time, I am sure next year will be even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
#12 of 14 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,541 reviews
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!