“Amazing beach!”

Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed from feb 17 to the 24th, the weather was fabulous except the first day where it was about 17 degrees and super windy! The hotel is very nice, room was a junior suite so quite big, lots of room and very clean! Maid service was great! Food was okay, it's Cuba so either really salty or bland to my taste but not horrible except did not enjoy the Italian a la carte restaurant! By far the best a la carte resto was the Japanese. The main buffet was ok but not much variety and some lines for the grill or the omelet station for example were long! The service was not the best, you really have to find that one person who will really go out of there way to serve u! At times was really hard to even get a spoon or a glass of orange juice! For lunch u have the option of the grill near the beach and it's great! Also a 24hr resto is available and I have no complaints! Good staff and good food especially the pizza :)
I travelled with my 3 friends and we had a great week! We met some great people and id say the best part of this place is the beach! It is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen! Turquoise water and white sand! Fabulous :) so overall great resort! I'd say their biggest issues is service at the main buffet, and water pressure/hot water issues for showering!

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank Twitch_03
Melia S M, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2016

Reviewed February 26, 2013

watched this resort on TA for along time before I bit,my wife and I travel alot,we usually stay at royal clubs but everbody spoke so highly of this resort we decided to take a chance and I am glad we did.everything at the resort was better than I expected,what this resort has over their competion is their amazing staff,always smiling,helpfull and up for a chat,I bring my fishing gear when I travel and the guy's on the bar gave lot's of good advice.we stayed at the iberostar week of feb.17-24 one month later,more stone and marble but they just didn't go that extra mile that the melia staff did.we are planning another trip to the melia cayo santa maria next month[march] looking forward to seeing everybody again.

7  Thank wally r
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2016

Dear Mr & Mrs,
Greetings from Melia Cayo Santa María!
Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Cuba and our Travel Agent advised us NOT to go to this place because it is quiet. The rooms were great! Clean and spacious. The pool was beautiful and so was the beach. The food was as expected in Cuba, not fantastic. We had our fill of pasta by day 2! The Italian restaraunt was pleasant (if small) with violin and guitar players. The Japanese was great -even the food! The only issues we saw with the place were; the buffet needed a/c it was very hot in there and made eating uncomfortable- not even a breeze; The grounds required more lighting in the evening - there were plenty of lights but several were burned out; the showers were only working at certain times of the day - you needed to shower öff peak" or there was no water pressure/hot water ;finally, we found the staff at the snack bar to be rude. We would occasionally take breakfast at the snack bar and they would run out of certain things (bacon etc.) when ordering we got the "eye roll" and sighs when they had run out like we should have known there was none left.

Other than these menial issues with the place, we had a very relaxing vacation. We met some fantastic people and the beach was beautiful. It did NOT ruin the vacation in the least.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are not really an upgrade as they are still a fair walk to the beach and furth...
6  Thank Kirsteen A

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went for a week, and it was not worth it. Flight via Canjet was a miserable experience...being 6'2, I was crammed into a seat that didn't even have enough leg room to sit straight. From the reviews here, I was lead to believe that we would check in during the bus ride. Instead, we arrived haggled at 02:30 only to stand in line to check in with 50 other people. Oh, and check out time is 12 noon, no matter what time your flight is, so if you don't fly out until late at night - prepare to pay 40 + dollars to keep your room until supper (and the 25 peso 'exit tax). Once there, you need to carry around a bag of pesos for tips as you are endlessly made to feel bad about the allegedly destitute situation that the staff live in.

Food ranged from 'not bad' to inedible and repetitive, and the only a la carte worth going to is the Japanese. If you eat in the main restaurant, prepare to run and elbow your way to get anything...Canadians are savages on cheap vacations. The beach is nice on a good day...but littered with cigarette butts and fat, ignorant Quebecers. Also, somewhere in the Cuban imagination their peso is worth MORE than the Canadian dollar....in fact, it is completely worthless anywhere outside of the country. About the only good thing about the trip was the coffee....loved the Spanish coffees/caps in the lobby bar in the morning....oh, and the duty free rum.

Personally, I will spend the extra money in the future to go someplace nice, rather than slum with this clientele. If you absolutely have to go to cayo Santa Maria, I would look at the Iberostar up the causeway. After thinking about it, the only redeeming quality about this trip was the ridiculously cheap price. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for....

Room Tip: Ha ha, good luck choosing a room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin R
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2016

Dear customer,
Thanks for choosing our hotel for your vacations and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. First of all we would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay, we are going to pay close attention to all the negative remarks you have written in order to prevent similar events in the future.
We hope to welcome you and your family in the future to offer you an amazing holiday as expected.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this resort with my husband and 2 daughters (ages 10 & 6) during the week of February 8 - 15. After a rather stressful start to our vacation (i.e. travelling through a blizzard to the airport and a delayed flight) we spent an amazing and relaxing week at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria.

I always read reviews prior to travelling somewhere so I thought I would share my thoughts. We travelled with 2 children and my grandparents (who have been to this resort so many times that they have lost count). If you are looking for a nice, relaxing week I would highly recommend it here. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough to occupy the children but not once did they say that they were bored.

First, I have to say that the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to ensure that we had everything we needed from the time that we arrived. Our maid Madelyn was so friendly and accomodating and was wonderful with the children. They looked forward to greeting her each day.

Our room was in Building 27 which was in a great location for us. Close to the pool for the kids.
We didn't have a lot of luck with having good water pressure and hot water for our showers but it was somewhat dependent on the time of day. That would probably be my one and only complaint throughout the week. We didn't use the mini bar a lot but we were asked each day what we might need and they would stock it accordingly.

The only a la carte restaurant that we ate at was the Japanese and it was fantastic! I highly recommend it. The kids liked to watch their food being prepared right in front of them and even tried to use chopsticks to eat with. The food was good and there was something for everyone. They prepapred fried rice, stir fried vegetables, shrimp, fish, beef and chicken. You can have some or all of it.

The poolside restaurant was really convenient and my daughter and I enjoyed the Margharita pizza for lunch a couple of days. The restaurant by the beach had an assortment of meats on the grill every day at lunch and this was probably my husband's favourite place to eat. Definitely worth a try although it can get quite busy so I recommend getting there when they open.

The Buffet was great for us because there was good choice for everyone. They always have french fries which made my 6 year old happy. However, she did not like their ketchup so we did bring some from home (which I read in a previous review). I absolutely loved the omelette station and smoothie bar and had both every morning. I was so impressed with Daniel at the omelette station. After meeting him on the first day he remembered me and knew how I liked my omelette. Amazing service! Each night I had pasta made to order and really enjoyed that too. I had heard that the food in Cuba isn't very good but I never had difficulty finding something to eat that I enjoyed. The food is not the same as it is in Canada for the most part but we are not in Canada so it is silly to expect the same thing. My children didn't complain once so that speaks volumes. The ice cream became a staple after lunch and dinner and the girls still talk about it.

There weren't a lot of children at this resort but they had a clown on each night at 8:30 p.m. and the same group of kid's participated each night and had a lot of fun. We stayed one night for the 10 o'clock performance and it was great! We walked down to the beach on Thursday night for the beach party but didn't stay long because the kids were tired. It looked like everyone was having a great time. They have a kids club but we didn't use it. We spent the day with the kids at the pool and beach.

My husband and older daughter swam with the Dolphins at the nearby dolphinarium (my 6 year old was too young). It was good but I wish I had looked more thouroughly into other options. I found out afterward that there is another option for a dolphin interaction that includes lunch and 25 minutes on the platform with the dolphins and all 4 of us could have done it for close to the same price. Another option would be to go and watch the dolphin show which is pretty reasonably priced as well. You can request a taxi for 4 people and it only cost us 4 peso each way or you can take the double decker tour bus for 1 peso each person each way. It works out to cost the same but I was never sure of the bus schedule and where they would stop in what order.

We spent a few hours by the beach throughout the week and it was beautiful. However we spent most of our time by the pool. The kids enjoyed strawberry and lemon slushies at the swim up bar. The bartenders were really friendly and great with the kids.

The bank just off the lobby can get very busy in the earlier part of the day so you may need to be patient or go back after lunch.

I have tons that I could say about this resort but all in all, my husband and I both felt that the staff focused on what is really important and we had an amazing week. We felt that for the cost, the value was very good. If you need something, just ask the customer service people (Rolando and Heriberto), the maid staff or almost anyone else (thanks also to Jorge and Yuniel) and they will do their best to help you out. They all made our stay wonderful!

P.S. If you love coffee, I highly recommend the cafe con leche (cappucino) in the lobby bar. One of the best I've ever had and became a daily routine

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jen M

Dear Mr & Mrs,
Greetings from Melia Cayo Santa María!
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I were here on Feb. 1 to Feb. 8th, celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. This was our second time to Cuba, but our first time to Santa Maria and we were not disappointed. The resort was absolutely beautiful and the gardeners do an amazing job with maintaining the grounds having everything neatly trimmed and clean.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and always had a smile on their faces. Food was especially good, with a wide variety of foods to please anybody, especially the buffet. We did three a la carts and , have to say that our favourite was the French, with the Japanese a close second.
Although it was windy everyday and the red flag would be up at the beach, we still managed to go swimming every single day at the beach, which was gorgeous and clean. The staff at the beach were always there, ready to provide us with clean chairs and a smile.
Entertainment was superb!!!!!!!!!!! The dancers were excellent and it was a pleasure to attend all the shows.
My absolute favourite part was after breakfast, every morning, we would go to the bar area where they would serve the BEST cappuccino and espresso!!
I would strongly recommend this resort to anybody who is looking for a quiet place to relax and enjoy their surroundings, not to mention meeting some of the nicest and friendliest people in the world.
We came back very satisfied and would definitely go back again.
Thank you to the maids, waitresses, waitors, entertainers, gardeners, and, of course, to the beautiful and talented singers who would come around and sing at the different restaurants.

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side are quieter and the junior suites are more than enough for a couple.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Effie M
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Effie

For us is a responsability that you want to share an important moment with us, such as an aniversary, so I am very happy that we could succed your expectations.

We still will make many new things so I would like to share them for your 31st aniversary.

Best Regards

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed from Jan 18 thru to the 26th. The weather was great! Hotel was nice. Everyday seen grounds keep, taking care of the property, planting new plants. The rooms were clean and done so daily. With the beverage refil for room fridge you basically had to run into the guys delivering otherwise you ended up with just pop. My pref the green beer can is better then the red. **
The beach is amazing. You cant go out to far, it gets deep fairly quick, and even on a calm day the water is still pretty strong. Respect the flags. The ocean is unforgiving.** There is a guy that will grab a lounger for you a dust it off aswell. Dj playing music at the beach and the pool. Beach volleyball.
A mini town in between melia cayo and los dunas, different vendors daily bring there things to sell. A lot of carved wood in mahogany wood, and cheaply priced. Also hand painted prints on canvas. For about 3 pacos you can take a cab to another made mini village to shop at or cigar shops where you can see cigars being made by hand. Wednesdays are like sundays no vendors come out on wednesdays, to either locations.***
Took advantage of an excursion, and very worth its money. We did the dolphin adventure and catamaran cruise. Also included snorkeling, and lunch and the dolphin marina. Very cool.**
The food is ok. A lot of variety, but took me a couple days to figure what I could and could not eat. I wouldnt say anything was bad, but just that people are used to certain ways of cooking, and using certain spices, and that why you go on vactions, to see the unknown and different. The prepared right in front of you steak, is to die for. The Japanese ala carte fabulous. If only that little piece of chicken at the beginning of dinner they give you could be bigger or more of, lol. The italian is nice and good aswell.
The staff was pleasant always ready to help. The 2 cleaning our rm daily, fabulous. We brought small travel size deodorants lotions, tooth paste, hair ties for kids. School lined paper pencils, eraser, sharpeners. And obviously very appreciated. Daily fancy towel decor on our bed, garbages emptied, fresh towels. Different people refill fridge** In regards to the water. Had warm water every shower I had. Pressure a little low at times, but obvious as to why. It was usually between 430 and 7, basically when everyone is trying to get ready for dinner.**
There is a bank in the resort by the bathroom in the lobby bar to the right of the main lobby. Opened 9-1 , 2-6 I'm pretty sure every day.

I would absolutely go back again...

Room Tip: 2nd floor room, a must.
3  Thank 4,165,088,164