“Amazing Santa Maria”

Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Amazing Santa Maria”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice to be back after 4 years! The resort has matured in a good way, the gardens are even more lush and the staff has found ways to improve an already great stay. I love the cayos for the pristine nature, peacefullness and the stunning beaches, but always leave amazed with the cuban people who work at the resorts. Friendly, witty, beautiful, and perfect hosts. I look forward to a road trip off resort next time to experience more of the cities, countryside and people, but I think we will end it with a few days at Melia! Go there and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Danielriley
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Danielriley

I recommend you too, to discover more from Cuba. It is a very interesting country and you could find different ways of life depending where you go.

And when you are tired from the trip...then you come to your resort and you can relax and enjoy the people here, we will be pleased to recieve you again.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coldwater, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We have been to Melia Cayo Santo Maria 7 times now,. The hotel, rooms. staff, restaurants, beach, pool and bar are above and beyond our expectations. The hotel has two managers, Rolando and Heriberto who work around the clock to ensure that their guests vacation is fantastic. Whether you decide to spend the day at the beach or lounge around the pool, you can't go wrong. The A La Carte Restaurants - Cuban, Mediteranean, Japonese, French and Italian are very popular, each unique in atmosphere and all with their own delectable specialties. We often opted to have lunch at the Beach Grill where the grill offers a variety of wonderful foods. All in all, my husband and I have been reluctant to write a review for fear that the hotel become even more popular but after vacationing there both in the off season and in high season, the hotel lives up to expected qualities in every way. We are greatful that we have found our home away from home and will continue to return to Melia Cayo Santa Maria, until the next time, remember, the sun always shines in Santa Clara. Barb and Ted Boothe

Room Tip: Each trip we have had a different room and honestly, we loved them all.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Barb4444_44
Dear Barb

What to say, you know the hotel even better than me...jajaja, so if that's what you think, I am really happy of your thought, anyway we have many things to do, we know we have to improve and we work for it everyday.

I hope your 8th time is very soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Melia Cayo Santa Maria from Jan 25th to the 2nd of February. When we got on the bus it was almost 1 in the morning and we did not receive our keys or anything like I had last year at Melia Las Dunas. When we arrived we had to wait 30 mins to be checked in at the front desk before we were sent to room 2614.
The next morning when we woke up we had ants all over our beds and we called to complain and they told us that it had been reported. Four hours later nothing had been done so we went to the front desk only to have the staff tell us again that its been reported. The staff at the front desk were rude and didn't seem to care. We asked them to move us upstairs which I had requested in an email a month and a half before we came and after a little agument with them they aggreed to move us upstairs to room 2621. We waited for the bell boy that they had promised us to move our heavy luggage upstairs for 45 mins then we decided to move it ourselves because he never showed up.
When we moved upstairs we didn't have any air conditionning and our patio door didn't lock. The next day we complained to guest services and the air conditionning was working when we came back from the beach that day but our door still didn't lock.
The shower pressure was horrible and it took us forever to rinse the shampoo and conditonner out of our hair unless the water was freezing cold which we had no choice to use for the whole week.
The resort itself was quiet and clean enough but the staff at the lobby bar and as mentionned above the front desk were horrible.
Also the lights were very dim at night and it was hard to see where we were going.

On a more positive note.. The a la carte restaurants (Japanese and French) were amazing and the wine was great but that was the only place that we received good wine and when asked to take a bottle with us we were told that they were not allowed to give us one.
The room clean enough and we always had towels and did not have to ask for them.
As for the 24 hour snack bar which we ate at every night in the wee hours of the morning the service was impecable!!! The staff was always smiling and did not expect a tip like at the lobby bar.
There was not very much entertainment except for the show at night compaired to what there was at Melia Las Dunas last year.
All in all I give this resort a 4 out of 10 and I will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2013
9 Thank kimmy15massage
Dear Kimmy

I am very sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations, it is true that it is almost impossible to please everybody but we try hard to do it.
I am sure we are able to make you enjoy your holidays, I would like you to give us the possibility.

It is nice that you enjoyed some of our services, restaurants, Snack...at least it is a good beginning.

Hope you can give us the possibility changing your mind in the future.

Cascais
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My mother and I were invited by Paco (General manager) to visit this wonderful hotel. The room was very nice, as well as the food (very good Japanese dinner - can't tell you about the others because we only stayed 3 days). However, even in this little time it was obvious that this is a splendorous hotel, with beautiful gardens and a perfect beach. The entertainment team were very hands-on, so you will definitely not get bored! The night shows were beautiful with good singers and dancers. Although, we did not have kids in our trip, the area for children was quite spectacular. Once again, a very good hotel overall with a great new manager - Paco!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Celtic_princess

Thank you for your words but this hotel is nothing without my staff, so what you say about me is just to them.

Hope you decide to come back in the future, we already made improvements.

St-Léonard-Parent
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was my first time to melia cayo santa maria but not the last. The beach is awsome the staff are really nice rooms clean , restaurant are really good snack bar is great. This resort is very cozy and relax for a great getaway with friends or couples. Entertainement staff is fabulous. Were gonna go back for shure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Jos M
Dear Jos

I hope your second visit to the resort to be soon, I would like you to see all new things we are doing and new shows, specially "FANTASIA" with Disney movies.

Ottawa, Canada

BEACH/POOL:
Most beautiful beach I've ever been to! White sand, beautiful water, and you can walk forever. The only thing is if its windy, its VERY windy, and a couple days out of the week you could not swim at all, and the wind made it pretty cool, so we just chilled at the pool instead. Note, if everyone is fleeing the beach for the pool, grab a chair ASAP because they can get filled fast on those days!
As for the pool, very big, nice swim-up bar, have no idea there werent more people in the pool, it wasnt that cold!

FOOD:
The buffet was pretty good, lots of choice, but the line-ups for the specialty foods being served such as grilling chicken/steak were long and slow.. people were tipping the chef to have their food made first.. this was pretty annoying but didnt affect me too much.
The Ala-cartes were not that great, the service was fantastic and the house wine was surprisingly delicious at no extra cost, but the actual meals were not genuine and or very tasty.

SERVICE:
Excellent service, great staff, very clean in the rooms, and pool drink service was great too! If you throw in a tip here and there you are super appreciated and are treated extra well!

ROOMS:
We had a room near the pool with a view of it, its was room 2612 and it was pretty nice! it was on the main level, which we dont normally like, but as the building is raised up we had no problem with bugs or anything! the room were clean, as for water pressure complaints, yes sometimes the pressure sucked, but we always had warm or hot water. we usually showered in the afternoons, early evenings.

Acitvities and entertainment:
The nightly shows, some were hit and miss, some funny some kinda boring, but all-in-all the dancers were fantastic!
As for the activities during the day, there needed to be more advertising of what was going on during the day, I found they need to announce acitivites more to get everyones attention.

There is a pueblo wlaking distance, connected ot the hotel, and another one a few hotels down, and both have some shopping but nothing else really.
This hotel all-in-all was pretty great but is more for relaxing, not too much going on for acitivites and such, and the night life kinda lacks as well.
I really enjoyed my holiday because of the beach, the cleanliness, the staff and the buffet!

If you want more info let me know happy to help!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank Maryse M
Dear Mmac

You are right in your review and there are two aspects very important for everyone deciding to come to the hotel.

Beach...breath taking!!! it is really amazing, and if you can see a day without wind, the see looks like a plate with that clear blue water.

Cayo Santa Maria in General is a quiet place, so if you want party non stop, this is not the place, but it is great if you want to relax after the normal stress from your daily life.

Hope many of you can enjoy this.

Waterloo
Reviewed February 5, 2013

4th Visit back to Melia. Jan 5-12th 2013. It is like home away from home for us. As usual food was fantastic, in fact this is probably the best it has ever been. Great care seems to have been put into a wider selection if that was possible. A LA Catre, we had Japanese, Italian and French. The Japanese was fantastic, Italian was ok this time and the French was a great disappointment . We didn't book the Mediterranean as it hasn't been nice in the past. Apparently they have changed the menu, they are in the new building and from what other guests said it was fantastic !!
Pool and pool bar perfect as usual, waiter always around to bring drinks.. was a hit and miss on our last day there but I think our regular waiter was off that day. Beach is fantastic, took a long walk on our 2nd day there and wasn't able to go far after that as I over did it. 2 days green flag, 2 days yellow and 3 red. Still a perfect place to spend your day though. Room is always great we request 1100 block oceanview. 10 block is also nice. I read reviews here about room needing paint, yes it could be redone soon, but seriously I just sleep there, I'm not overly worried about it. The water pressure can be an issue, it is better than it has been over the years but it is not and never will be like home. Accept it, you are only there 1 maybe 2 weeks. Yes it can be annoying but there is water and it is warm at worst. Be prepared, it's Cuba. If you must have a hot shower with lots of pressure, go elsewhere folks because you can't be guaranteed that here. Absolutely no bugs this time of year, heard them spray everyday for mosquitoes but didn't see one. People are fantastic and do everything they can to make your stay more enjoyable. Was nice to have this week with just my husband, heading back in April again with a larger group can't wait to get there !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dawn O
Dear Dawn

A hotel never sleeps and I use to say that if we do one new thing a day, there are 365 new things dome in a year, so I hope when you come in april you notice all new done during this time.

I thank you for saying that this last visit was the best among the others, this make us feel that we go in the right direction.