“not dissapointed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed January 17, 2013

my wife and I stayed here for two weeks in July 2012. We didnt know what to expect but were pleased with the standard of the room and general facilities. Staff were generally attentive and pleasant. The standard of food was good in most areas there was a need for some food hygiene improvements across the board e.g hand sanitizer and cross contamination in cooking areas specifically the pizza bar. The new manager met us the evening before we returned home and I look forward to seeing all of the changes in August this year when we return.We met some really great people from the UK Phil and Kath and Janet and John alias the "streaker". on the whole this was a fantastic holiday due to the good service, standard of accomodation, entertainment and hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LolnAnd
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear LolnAnd

I am sure, next time, you will see many changes, since 6 months ago, we are improving all facilities and even if we still have a lot to do, we are happy about what our clients say.

Hope to have the possibility meeting you during your stay, it will be great to recieve your opinion.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

When we went the buffet was closed quite a few nights & for breakfast, we had to eat at the different restaurants. I prefer the choice of buffet where u can choose what u want to eat instead of a set menu. Also the snack bar needs some improvement on their menu. Missed lasagna at the Italian, took it off the menu.
Love Rancho for their variety.
Love this hotel but finding it is just a bit pricey unless u are lucky to get a deal.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank rindi22
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Rindi

First of all, thank you for your support, five times at the hotel means you like it very much.
It is true that during the summer, in order to give the possibility to our clients to enjoy as much as possible all our restaurants, we had the buffet closed but now every one is open again and looks our clients are enjoying them again.

Hope the next time we could meet and share experiences.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would like to say that I wasn't disappointed with the resort, I was disappointed with the "quality" of people that go there, who have expectation of Cuba resorts to be at the same level as Canadian standards. Please compare Cuba to Cuba and not to any other country. Secondly, if perfection existed in this world, we wouldn't be here writing these reviews. It doesn't exist so get adjusted and be happy with what you have, other wise pay twice as much and go somewhere that you will get your money worth.

This was the first time me and my wife went by ourselves (as we usually go with another couple) we paid for this trip $750 flying out of Toronto. If you paid anything higher than that, then yes I can see why you would complain. I would just assume since there was no Tim Horton there, 90% of people were grumpy, because they didn't get their Canadian Java Fix.

We stayed in Building # 6 on 2nd floor, yes the water pressure was low, and it took 5 min for hot water to come on, and one of the days we waited 1h for water as there was none, however I'm trying to figure out why are people in such a hurry? it is not like you have to go somewhere? oh the 2 min walk from the lobby to your room?

I found a lot of people complaining and wining, and if something wasn't done right away, they turned into evil people. GROW UP!!!! I sat at the bar, and I got my drinks right away, I seen people who were rude and impolite yelled screamed and had weird expectation.

I'm landlord, and I found that the rooms are in way better shape than half of rental properties that are being currently rented out to students at the Univeristy, you should see in what kind conditions your KIDS live and after 1 year of school, what happens to them.

the Double Decker bus, was actually broken for 2-3 days, there where other buses that took you to the other place, but mind you, the whole island is 13 km wide, if you really really wanted you could have walked.

Entertainment, there was always some kind activity happening. If there was Acrobatics at the pool, fashion show, something always. Remember this place is 300 rooms, some people don't want to be bother with entertainment, and some apparently cannot live with out it, find a balance and enjoy the place.

Language barrier, well let me put it this way, you going to FOREIGN country. Speak slowly, and in short sentences, use sign language if you have to communicate. Don't go around using elaborate sentences to describe things, and getting mad if they don't understand you, ENGLISH is not their first language.

Food, I didn't starve and I wasn't hungry, Buffet, was pretty much same thing every day, if you wanted "pancakes" long wait to get some, omelets were good, better than the ones in Canada. Best place to get food, was the Grill at the beach, and the snack bar.

Beach - Now remember Cayo Santa Maria is on the top of CUBA (if you are looking at the map). so it does get windy, so you get nice wave, but if the wind is too strong, it is hard to stay on the beach. Now best part of the beach, the bartenders were walking by and taking orders for what kind drinks you wanted. Which was good as I didn't have to move, remember you are going there to relax.

Tipping - I'm sorry, but what country you are from? any restaurant you go to, you tip 13% usually, any bar you go to and buy drinks you tip after each drink, if you do not you are cheap. The bell boy, got tipped $1. The Bartenders on the beach, I tipped them as well, if someone is brining me a drink they are going to get tipped. I think we spent over $120 dollars into tipping, it is not required, but I find if someone is taking care of me, they deserve to get tipped.

Over all, this is a good start up hotel if anyone never been to Cuba, of course for he right price.

People still forget that Cuba has Embargo. If you want to get away and have a nice good relaxing time, this place is worth it. If you are looking for a party place, than go to Mexico Cancun or Varadero Cuba strip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
38  Thank rookiepp

Dear Rookiep

Your review is absolutely clear, but for me as General Manager, I have to give all I have in my hands doesn't bother the price you pay.
Melia, as the main Company in Cuba has very adjusted standards and we try them during a lot of time in order to be as sure as possible that we succed expectations.

Anyway, thank you very much for your understanding.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

My Boyfriend and I spent the week of January 5th - 12th at this resort. I cannot say I have anything too positive to mention about it. We travel a few times a year. Have been to many different areas of Dominican, Jamaica and too Cuba once before to a Melia in Varadero which we loved. We always research the resort to the best we can mainly by reading reviews from others who have been their. This is why I really couldnt wait to post my review about this place. We read reviews about this resort which many all seemed so incredible and helped us make our decision to book here however I am so confused and wonder if we were at the same place.
As the past few reviewers posted we had water problems most of the week with no hotwater and no water at all. Our air was down alot of the times as well. The front desk would just say the whole resort is down and we are working on it, however, asking others theirs wasnt down.
The food was the worst I have experienced so I was eating most times the first few days at the snack bar as they served pizza which was pretty good and fries, hamburgers etc. until the day I went to get a drink their and as I was standing there waiting for my drink I seen the cook blow his nose in his apron then if that wasnt bad enough he blew his nose in his hands, wiped his hands on his apron and immediately made someones burger. I did not ever eat their again. The beach grill: I watched them use the same utinzils to move raw chicken to the grill and cooked chicken to customers plate. Probably explains why my boyfirend got food poisioning and spent a entire day in the clinic. He was so ill we had no choice but to go into the Clinic on the Island at 5am. He was their until 4 the next day. I do have to say the Doctor and nurses their were very good and looked after him well. A big Thank You to them for that.
The Beach was nice however it was always windy. We read this however we thought the water might be rough somedays. We didnt realize it is a sandstorm everyday. Im usually a beach person and couldnt stand laying there with the winds and sand blowing so hard. The huts on the beach have been almost buried with the last hurricane that went through. You think they would have by now dug them out and repositioned them. Nope you would have to crawl under one in order to use them. I will later post some pics of that. There were boards cracked on the bridge to the beach which could have been dangerous and Im sure will be if they dont get it fixed. Reading the last few reviews of others, I wish I knew if we complained we could have been moved to another resort. With all this said, the bartenders at the Lobby Bar were the best! Friendly and happy to make you whatever you requested.
My thoughts are Go Somewhere Else.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank nearTO

Dear NearTO

I am very sorry about your experience.

I cannot assure that all our staff is perfect during their job and I will check with the responsable about what happened.

About the Buffet, I don't agree with you, could be that in previous periods food was not up to what a hotel like this ask for, but during this year you can find all kind of meat, Lobster even in Lunch time, almost 8 differen cheeses, fresh pasta...

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We visited Dec 22-29 and had a wonderful time. Everyone was very friendly and the grounds were beautiful. The resort is small and well laid out, everything is a short walk away.
FUN: I can't emphasize enough how wonderful the entertainment staff was. They worked hard to make sure we were enjoying ourselves, without being pushy. In particular Yorlien and Denise went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, bowling and playing pool with us, engaging us in salsa and cha cha. Such warm and gracious people! The disco is fun to check out if you feel like dancing, it's a short walk away, by the pool hall/ bowling alley. The evening performances were enjoyable, and the dancing is professional quality. We also chatted a bit with the magician clowns Pedro and Pablo (Davriel?), both of whom were very friendly and obviously a big hit with the kids.
FOOD: Everything we had was delicious! I don't see the point of going to a different country and eating solely "western" food (and then complaining when it doesn't meet expectations), so I avoided the heavy pastas and cheeses and ate lots of seafood, rice, beans, yuca and squash. The seafood (except for the salmon) was amazing, especially the snapper and shrimp, and all the rice and bean dishes were full of flavour. And of course the pizza at the snack bar is so yummy! We only managed to make it to the breakfast buffet once, which is too bad as the omelette chef is great. The Japanese a la carte was fun and delicious; the Mediterranean was fine, however I don't eat meat and the menu was fixed, so I ended up donating half my meal to my boyfriend.
ROOMS: We had a main floor room with a balcony in the 2600 block. The room was cheerful and clean, and our maids Madelyn and Dalgis were lovely. Water temp was iffy but who cares. The laundry was broken for a few days so there was a shortage of towels (I see by reading other reviews that some people were quite upset by this), but I don't use a new towel everyday at home, so I wasn't bothered.
BEACH: Gorgeous! It was a bit chilly and very windy at times as you're on the open ocean. No issues with finding a lounger. For the adventurous there is a nude beach about 10 minutes walk up the coast. The bar servers are really friendly.
EXCURSIONS: We had the opportunity to visit Remedious for Parrandas, a huge local festival that includes light towers, fireworks, and lots of people on the streets! It was a great experience and so refreshing to get off the resort and see some of the real Cuba. Seeing into the open doors of some houses we passed really made me realize how little many Cubans have, and how wealthy we really are. We also did the Remedious-Santa Clara excursion which was a lot of fun, and very interesting. Our tour guide Dani was wonderful!
STAFF: everyone was very friendly. In fact, the rudest people I encountered were snotty tourists. I cannot believe how rude some people were.
COMPLAINTS: The only issue I have is that although our bus to the airport (going home) left the resort at 6:30 pm, we had to check out of our rooms at noon. If we wanted to extend the room rental it cost $7 an hour. We ended up splitting one room with the other couple we travelled with, as we wanted to be able to shower before embarking on the long trip home, but we weren't happy to have to pay an extra $40 - it felt like a money grab and standing in the bank lineup at the last minute wasn't the best way to end our trip.
TIPS: Bring a travel mug! We brought 32 oz Bubba mugs (from Canadian Tire) and I am so glad we did, if you don't have a mug you get a tiny plastic cup which is a pain when you're sitting on the beach in the wind. Also, there's enough plastic in the ocean; the number of people who just left their cups on the beach even though there are garbage cans every few yards was appalling.
Bring small packs of tissue for your purse- if you go into the cities there often is no TP, and the resort bathrooms late at night can be iffy as well. If you're a clean freak bring hand sanitizer as the resort bathrooms often run out of soap.
Get off the resort, at least once, to see how Cubans actually live. Then maybe you won't be so insulted by things like having to use a day old towel.
Remember, Cuba can't trade with its closest neighbours, the US. There are huge shortages of things we take for granted. The average Cuban income is equivalent to about $12.00 a month, and buying the necessities can be very expensive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sue H

Dear Sue

I really appreciate your review.

Sometimes for us is very courious to read different reviews from people that stayed at the same time and they are completely different, thank's god, most of our reviews say things similar to yours so looks we are doing pretty good.

Thank you very much and hope we have the possibility to improve our skills for your next stay.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Overview
* I am a 36 year old male who traveled with my friend for background information. I have been to 60 islands/Countries thus far in my life so I have believe I am well experienced in traveling. I am somewhat picky when it comes to my trips but I also know what are the common issues one will face anywhere in the world - 3rd world or 1st world so I won't be speaking of those.

Flight & Bus Transfer
* Flight from Ottawa to Santa Clara was great. Airtransat (Canjet) tour operator ran very smooth. Note that they tend to have only 2 checkin counters running so expect that you will be waiting in line to check in your bags longer than you would at any other flight. This is also because there is no self-check in options.

* The bus transfer from the city of Santa Clara to the resort was great. The driver was professional and the hotel rep was great at providing information during the trip. Note that the bus ride took 1 hr and 40mins exactly from door to door. The bus ride was actually wonderful because it was more like a 'free' Island Tour!! You were able to see a couple small towns on the way and of course the beautiful man-made roads over the sea to the town of Santa Maria. The beers on the bus cost 2cuc each and the same with the 'sprite' but those sold out very quickly. I was told that one bus had a broken toilet on it so make sure you use the airport one before leaving to get on the bus. However, don't worry as that bus ended up stopping at one of the towns so people could use a public bathroom.

Price
* I have been to Cuba 9 times now and the price I paid for a regular room - double Occupancy vacation from Ottawa, Ontario only cost me $842 leaving on Jan 4th, 2013 for one week. This at first I thought was a very good price for a 4.5* cuba resort. Medical insurance was an additional $27 - however, they could not pay me to stay there again.

Room
* The second floor room was pretty good at first glance. However, throughout the week we discovered the pretty good turned to pretty bad. After the first day arrival most of the rooms we found out started to have problems. Started off with no more 'warm' water only cold water, then turned to no warm or any water pressure...dripping cold. Then towards the end of the week our entire block including others around ours had no water at all. It got to the point where I tried to use the coffee maker to boil water to wash my face... but even the coffee maker was broken and didn't work. Most places you will see small ants etc which is pretty common and not a big deal - however, one night we found a family of cockroaches having what seemed to be a bbq cookout on another bug in the middle of our room. Another couple reported having a three inch spider crawling on their floor of their room. The beds were pretty standard super firm with a tiny pillow. The so called 'Ocean View' rooms are so far from the water that you require high powered binoculars to see the water at all so I recommend save your money as its not worth it. The maids keep the rooms clean and the bar fridge is stocked pretty good each day (we left money each day) but note your bed sheets are not changed for the entire week.

Beach
* The beach was amazing - the crystal clear water for miles out. The soft white sand is to die for. Cuba has one of the best beaches you will find in the world. Since I have traveled a lot of the world I can say this is in the top 10 if not top 5. Some reviews say they had a hard time finding chairs - not the case at all. There are tonnes of chairs and if you don't feel like finding one yourself there are guys on the beach for 1cuc will go get a chair, clean it off, and place it anywhere you want. Well worth a buck... there are limited cabana's and true you need to get up early (6am) to reserve one but again this happens everywhere in the world and at all resorts. Note: best tip i can give you is go into your closet in the room and there is a blue beach/rain umbrella there. Bring it to the beach and it can attach to the side of the chair giving you shade when you want it and folds up for all the sun you can handle!

Food & Drink
* I must say the food and drink was TERRIBLE Out of the 9 times I been to Cuba this was the WORST place overall. Their buffet resturant only had one long table of choices and then they had a juice bar which was very good actually but you can't live on banana smoothies for the entire week. The food was not good at all, majority of the items were pretty cold and dry. So if your the type who likes to have a choice of items at dinner this is not the place for you. The drinks are pretty standard but when I compare to other resorts in Cuba I have been this place does not match up at all to them. Only drinks you can get here are mixed drinks with bottled pop or beer mainly. They do not have slushie type drinks at this resort so when your in the mood for something tropical and cold you are out of luck here. Even the pop does not have any CO2 (fizz) to it...so its like water and sugar mainly.

Activities
* There is absolutely nothing going on at this resort from the time you make up in the morning to the time you drink yourself to sleep from being bored. This resort is for people who just want to sit by the pool or beach and just chill. They play music by the pool for about 1-2 hours max per day and they may have one or two activities going on (exercise type stuff). They have a schedule posted on a wall of stuff but we never say it actually being done. Compared to other resort like Memories this place was dead all day and night. Even the shows at night were very ghetto compared to other places. The show area is very small and barely much room for people... majority of people had to stand. After 10mins into the show most people left anymore because it was not worth watching unfortunately.

Pools
* There are two pools - not very deep. Mainly for kids it seems or for adults to get their ankles wet. Not much areas for shade if your the type who does not like to burn in the sun so recommend you get out early to find those shaded spots.

Kids
* From what i saw there is a small kids club with a little pool but the entire week I was there I did not see anyone there or using it. Most kids were at the main pool with their familys.

Resort Bus (DoubleDecker)
* We were told but the tour operator that there is a doubledecker bus that picks guests up at the hotel and goes to the other hotels and market every 30mins. This is a LIE... there were days that we waited 2.5 hours for the bus and it still never showed up. We went to the manager of the resort 'YURI' and asked him directly what is going on and why is his hotel telling guests there is a bus every 30mins when clearly there isn't. The manager started arguing with us saying he has no responsibility about the bus and it has nothing to do with him. We told him if thats the cause than why does his staff and front desk keep telling the guests it comes very 30mins and that it will be here soon - his reply to us was that 'we are being rude' and to stop saying his staff are lying to the guests. Turns out the bus shows up whenever it wants to show up as we spoke to the driver one day and he said we're better off taking taxis. This is what we ended up doing taking taxi's everyday.

Overall
* We ended up taking taxi each day to go to MEMORIES and spend the day there because this resort was so bad it was not worth the time. If I had known how this resort was going to be I would have never come even if it was offered to us for free. I would classify this resort a 2* maybe 2.5* at most to be honest. It is pretty sad that guests at the resort have to leave at 9am and go spend the day at another resort because the one they paid good money to stay at was so bad. Good thing we had friends staying at the MEMORIES AZUL resort - I was able to actually have a hot shower and wash while I was there...

0.7 out of 10 rating - TERRIBLE RESORT Do not spend your hard earned money here... If you want a real 5* resort with best service and food/drink go to MEMORIES you will thank me for it.

RECOMMEND: MEMORIES AZUL Resort - been there 2 and a half times now and truely the best resort by far compared to this place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
22  Thank DrCactus

Dear DrCactus

I wrote tripadvisor and asked them to check if your review was from this hotel because nothing about what you wrote was right.
Starting with the Manager, no one is called Yuri..the rest is similar.

I am happy that you enjoy the hotel you write about as very good that is one of our competitors and Hope you enjoy there all your stays.

Regards

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from the Melia Cayo. First, the good. The grounds and beach are quite beautiful. The beach was red flagged most days that we were there, but a few people were still jumping around in the big waves. The pools are lovely, just really cold this time of the year. Chambermaids and bar/wait staff were very pleasant and helpful. Now, the bad. The front desk management seems to need some work when it comes to dealing with people. The whole time we were there, we had intermittent air conditioning, which affects the water, so our water was hit and miss. Sometimes the toilet wouldn't flush. I only managed to get one hot shower, the rest of the time it was ice cold, and very little pressure. Once when I turned on the tap, the water was totally black and looked to be filled with dirt of some kind. When I complained to the front desk, I got many different stories as to what was happening, and not once did I get an apology of any sort. I was told that the whole resort had problems, then it was just some buildings, then just building 12. Initially, it was going to be fixed in one hour, then by 1pm, then 2pm, then they just didn't know and "there was nothing they could do about it". The attitude was quite defensive and argumentative about the whole thing. I understand that these things happen and that it shouldn't ruin a holiday, it was just very uncomfortable and hot in the room when the a/c was out and not being able to have a shower/wash your hands/flush the toilet was just unacceptable.We didn't even care about the ants in the room, broken lamp, screen door that didn't shut, broken handle on sliding door and rock hard beds. We asked to be moved to another room and they said the resort was full.One of the front desk staff told me that I should stay in the room I had, because I may be moved to an "ugly" room. Ok, maybe that was a language barrier problem, but really? I don't think you ever want to refer to your rooms as "ugly". Later, when I complained yet again, I was taken to a room in another building to see if it was to our liking, and there were suitcases in there, someone was already occupying it. How could they not know that at the front desk? I went to customer service and he didn't seem very interested or apologetic about anything. One couple I spoke with said they had visited the resort 9 times and this was the worst they had seen it, food quality etc. To make a long story short, I finally went to the Transat rep and she said right away that several people had complained and they were offering to move us to the Melia Buenavista a couple of miles down the road. We took that offer immediately and they had the manager of the Buenavista pick us up personally and take us to the new hotel. It all worked out, we were much happier at the second hotel, but as I told the manager of the Cayo, the front desk really needs some lessons in customer service. Again, I understand these things happen but in any hotel they need to be dealt with quickly, not after four days of constant complaining. Even if nothing can be done, there's a way to handle things to diffuse a situation and not inflame it. There is much more I could go into with this post, but I just wanted everyone to know nice hotel but poor management if anything goes wrong. For the most part, people seemed to generally like the hotel, but if any problems arise, you may have a hard time getting anything done in a timely manner. On a different note, the Buenavista was gorgeous and had wonderful staff and service. I just wish we didn't have to spend the first four days of our week trying to get our problem resolved.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Kim W
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2016

Dear customer,
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel.
We pay attention to the issues you mention that help us to improve day by day.
We hope to see you back soon in the Melia Cayo Santa María Hotel!

Best regards,

Melia Las Americas
Melia Las Americas
#5 of 64 in Varadero
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Melia Las Antillas
Melia Las Antillas
#11 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!