“10th stay at MCSM, and not a last one :)”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto
“10th stay at MCSM, and not a last one :)”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

After staying 10 times in this Hotel, I thought is about time to write a review of my "other" home . Travelled from from Dec 7-14. Our flight was on time, getting our luggage in Santa Clara airport was quick and we were on our way in no time.

After all these trips to CSM, I still enjoy going through the towns of Camajuani, Remedios and Caibarien. It's like going back home and seeing if anything changed while I have been away. I love to pass through the causeway. I know , it seems long ,but on the end , it will take me home :)

Arrival and check in at the hotel is always quick and efficient. And since I am a repeat guest, I am always welcomed by one of my friends who work in Melia, being Rolando or Heriberto from Customer Service, or Jorge Felix or Alexis, the bell boys. And from that moment it really feels like being home with a family.

I traveled to different parts of Cuba, but always return to Melia. I love the hotel for it's size, the beach and most important for the staff. The grounds are very well taking care off. I usually travel 2, 3 times a year, in the spring, fall and now in Dec. It's fun to see the different flowers blooming at different time of the year. Since I love taking pictures, Melia is a perfect spot for it.

My room was cleaned everyday , and my mini fridge was restock daily. Eduardo, Dalio, or Carl did very good job making sure I have everything that I need it. All I needed is to leave a note on the fridge for what I need, on my first day, and they delivered every day, during my stay. 5* service , thank you guys :)

There was some problem with hot water, but it didn't bother me .This is an older hotel, and things can happened. They were working to solve the problem while I was there.

Lobby bar was my favourite spot for morning cappuccinos, or spanish cafe in the evening. Juan Carlos, Yulier, Danny, Yoelvis, Gallo, Yoslaine, they all work very hard, to make sure everybody is served quickly . Miss you all.

Won't write about the beach, there are many reviews about it. All I can say, that it's a breathtaking, with it's white sand and turquoise waters. They can always use more palapas. There where more in May, but since the storm damaged most, they are working on replacing them now,in time for the busy season ahead.
And yes, there can be a drop going into a water, if there is a storm around, and other times the beach is very flat.

I never had a problem with the food in the buffet, and after all these trips, I have never, not even once, been sick. Breakfast is the usual, eggs or crepe from one of my friends, Daniel or Frank . Lunch I will usually have in the Ranchon restaurant. Love the fish, chicken or the calamari. And of course rice pudding for desert ! If I didn't feel like leaving the beach for lunch, I would have a delicious, thin crust pizza prepared by Randy or other cook, later on . In the 24 hrs snack bar, you can get pizza, hamburgers, cuban dishes etc. You can never go hungry in this hotel :)

I can't say much about the a la carte restaurants, because I prefer to eat in the buffet , but on my last trip I went to the Japanese restaurant and it was fun !

The animation staff is always ready and looking for people to paricipate in Tai Chi, water polo, valley ball, you name it. But if you just want to lie down and relax, they won't bother you.

As for the night entertainment ,I haven't seen more talented dancers, than in MCSM ! From Daivy, the entertainment manager, Clarita the choreographer and most important the best dancers on the Cayo, the nightly shows are one of a kind . Special thanks to Roberto, Loreta, Ody,Daniel, too many to name them all, for the many, great memories we have, and for teaching me how to dance Raca, Raca ...lol ! You would think that after all these trips I saw them all, but every time I go back , they have a new show. I have no idea how they do that. But I have seen them practice day in and day out, to make sure that the shows are perfect. Right now, they are making brand new show for Christmas, and I wish I could have stayed to see it. But hopefully someone will record it and put it on Youtube :))

To summarize my review, I want to congratulate Mr. Paco Benito, the General Manager of MCSM, to have so many wonderful staff, who are more than happy to help if you need anything. And I am sure that the staff of this hotel, are the reason for so many repeat customers, through out the year.

Just to add, last year we had a family member visiting us from overseas, and we took her for a week to Melia. She said it was a trip of her lifetime !! This coming year I am hoping to take my sister , who will be visiting me from Europe.
I recomended MCSM to many of my friends and colleagues, and all of them said they would return in a heartbeat.

Thank you MCSM for another week of great, relaxing holiday ! I am already looking to book my May trip ! Can't wait to be back :)

Hasta pronto :)

Room Tip: Second floor room in building, 17, 18,19 , is closer to the pathway to the beach, but not too far fr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Maluszek
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Maluszek

You know? when we have our repeating clients meeting, I use to thank you for coming baack "home", so, when you say you want to speak about your other home I feel happy.

You are absolutely right, I am very proud about the staff, you have more than 280 hotels in Cuba and normally the difference is made by the Staff.

In Cuba, people is very nice but here...they are even more.

Thank you very much and hope to see you during your 11th stay at your "other" home.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was my first time being at this resort on December 14-21, 2012 with 2 other friends ( all in our mid 20's) and I will definitely come back! There were a variety of people on the resort, from families to some young people like ourselves. The staff was amazing, very energetic, fun and sincere. I enjoyed how there was a variety of restaurants available. My friends and I recieved 3 reservations for the restaurants; We had Japanese, italian and Mediterranean. The Japanese restaurant was the best so far, food was amazing. Italian came in second, nice atmosphere and great food. I didn't enjoy the mediteranian as much only because the food was different from what I prefer. The resort is a great size, there wasn't a huge crowd of people (due to the fact it was close to christmas holidays and our friends visited to celebrate the end of our exams) which makes it a bonus in being able to relax, not having to rush to grab a spot by the beach/pool, and get to know the other people some more. Beach is great, beautiful view! I enjoyed the activites on the beach such as Tai Chi, volleyball, dance lessons. Poolside was great as well, the bartender Osbiel was great, he always came to you incase you wanted a drink, you barely had to approach the swim up bar if you needed one. Weather was amazing, it only rained on the last day as we left, so we enjoyed a good week of warm weather. Entertainment is good, tuesday nights(Michael Jackson show) are the show you don't want to miss! It was the best show from the entire week I spent there. There is a 24hour snack bar(food is good, sandwichs and pizza are great) which is very helpful since the buffet has set times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also when you have reservations to a restaurant the buffet is closed. The buffet had a good variety of food, crepe station in the morning was great. Rooms were kept really clean everyday, the maids were amazing. If you need to restock the fridge there is someone who comes to your room to ask what you need to fill it up again ( I found this helpful rather than having to call and ask). Front desk was great as well, there was a few instances where my friends and I forgot our keys in our rooms and we were able to get new ones right away. Make sure you don't keep your room key near your cell phone since this somehow disables it from getting into your room (I had this happen and just went to the front desk and it was fixed). The entertainment staff was great, they work hard to keep everyone entertained. Thank you to denise, Orlando, Nana, Kenya, the two Ernesto's,Lazaro and the students in training for entertainment (Yorlan- hoping I spelt it right) and thanks to the others, it was hard to remember everyones names!
There is a disco in the lobby bar which my friends and I attended a few nights during our stay, it was really fun and the music and dancing was great!
My entire vacation at this resort was amazing,I am really considering on returning to this resort with more friends. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE at Melia Cayo Santa Maria you made this trip a memorable one and Feliz Navida :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natashaxo
Francisco B, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Natashaxo

We have many small (or not that small) groups of young people that wants to come to Cuba and they look for a quiet place where to stay and have fun.
That's why our entertainment team is that big and good, from 10am till 23 hours there are things to do and then there's a disco at the village.

Cayo Santa Maria is not the biggest place for partying but you can share party and relax, perfect mix.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Ontario
Reviewed December 22, 2012

First the positives: the cleanest and most wonderful beach, amazing pools (clean and large), wonderfully gracious serving staff (bars, restaurants) and adequate rooms. Also we enjoyed the smaller size of this resort as compared to the shopping mall feeling of Las Dunas. Our disappointments were small to moderate: the food is not great but I don't blame the resort or think that it would have been much better at another resort -- this is Cuba. We never got bottled water in our mini-bar and sometimes had to ask 3 times and it never came. We ended up purchasing in the store -- disappointing as its all inclusive.Our biggest gripe were the young and eligible social and activities staff around the pool who were a bit too chummy with guests (drinking, playing pool, offering illegal cigars, etc). In particular they were far to chummy with single guests -- use your imagination. The absolute most annoying part of our week was the constant eurotrash soundtrack being blasted by the pool. When you ask them to change the music they offer to do so for a price of 10 pesos. Smart because the music will drive you nuts. The weather was great, pool and beach were wonderful and it was cheap. To each his own and this wasn't my cup of tea. Gracias.

Room Tip: Building 15 faing away from the pool is close to pool and restaurants but quiet. Ask for the second...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sarahej
Dear Sarahej

I really appreciate your comments, the good and also the not that good.

I already talked to the animation manager in order to check, what happens about cigars and also about the music change giving money, as you can imagine, both things are forbidden so it is very serious and we didn't hear about it before.

Again thank you very much.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was my 4th stay at Melia Cayo Santa Maria this year only out of 7 trips to Cuba. I lost track of how many times I have stayed here since I first discovered this little gem back in March 2008 but all I can say is that it is still my favorite place and my home away from home. I still explore and see other parts of the Island but quickly return here for the excellent service and facilities.

I was at MCSM the weeks of Nov 13-20 and again Dec 11-19. This hotel is about an hour 30 minutes bus drive from the Santa Clara airport. If you have a daytime flight, the drive is very
enjoyable as you pass through 3 towns followed by the road built in the ocean to the cayos. You have a guide accompanying you for the ride and giving you great information about Cuba, the towns and the destination. Beers are offered on the bus for 2 CUC each or at the airport for 1 CUC each. Not all buses have working washrooms so keep this in mind before you drink too many beers. On both trips, I did not get the pre check-in on the bus because there wasn't enough people going to this hotel from my plane (Tuesday arrival). In high season, I am sure pre check-in on the bus will be a common practice. You can exchange your money at the airport or at the hotel. The cadeca is open from 9:30am to 6pm every day in the lobby bar of the hotel if I remember correctly.

Weather-wise, my November stay was extremely windy with red flag days as a cold front was passing through and temperature were normal but the cloud covers made it sometimes feel a bit cool. December on the other hand was unseasonably hot and sunny just like summer temperatures with no winds and a calm ocean like glass most days.

The entertainment team is growing as there are many new students in training. This makes for more activities offered in and around the pool and at the beach. Aqua gym, volleyball, tennis, hockey, soccer, water polo, basketball, tai chi, dance lessons, aerobics, archery, pool,name it, they do it. These guys have what seem to be an unlimited amount of energy and work very hard to keep the clients entertained. Thanks Deivy, Arel, the two Ernestos, Lazaro, Denise and the rest of the team.

The bartenders at the lobby bar are very professional and amazing at their jobs. I can't name them all but Juan Carlos and Ernesto stick out in my mind. Bartenders at pool bar Osbiel and Yoset are excellent and hard working. You will never have to get up to go get a drink at the pool bar if you don't want to. They will come to you. One thing that had me question whether it is a good idea is the fact that they now sell bottles of beer from the pool bar. All you need are a few drunk or clumsy people to break a bottle around the pool or inside the pool and it could be dangerous for kids or any bare foot patrons. Something to think about and reconsider maybe?

Food in general was good to very good. I had no issues finding something I liked to eat each night even on the nights where the buffet was the only option. In low season, buffet was the only dining option 3 days per week (other than the snack bar) while the a la cartes were open the other days. I loved the fried rice made to order and the shrimps at the grill. Pasta is good too for a change. I love the different imported cheeses that are offered. I tried some of the Cuban fare offered at times although I wished they offered more Cuban food or at least have a Cuban theme night at the buffet with the typical congris, yuka, pork, soup, rice and beans, ropa vieja, etc. The only thing I was not impressed with was the red wine served at the buffet. It used to be much better quality. I also enjoyed the A la carte restaurants. My favorites being the Italian, Japanese and French. I always skipped the Mediterranean because I was not a fan of the set menu but this has now changed since my last trip. They introduced a new menu with many great choices of skewers and much more. I cannot wait to try it on my next
trip. Breakfast is at the buffet or at the snack bar. I always went to the buffet to see either Frank or Daniel for my eggs in the morning. There is also a crepe station that is very good. Yogurts, juices, sausages, potatoes, deli meat, cheeses, pastries of all kinds, croissants, breads, fresh fruits.. you'd have to be very picky not to find something you like for breakfast. For lunch, if I was hungry, I'd grab a ham and cheese sandwich at the snack bar or one of the Cuban special dishes there. The Beach Ranchon is also very nice place to have lunch, they have the best calamari, red snapper and paella! With a view no less.

I did not spend much time at the beach at all but I enjoyed spending some time at the beach bar. There are a few chairs there where you can sit and have a drink and read a book while
enjoying the great view and breeze from the ocean in the good company of Nestor the bartender.

The pools were crystal clear and refreshing (a bit cool at first but not cold). Kudos to the gardeners and Israel, the pool maintenance guy who has to be the hardest working man on the resort and the workers that make the hotel grounds so beautiful and clean.

My chambermaids Tamara and Yankelis (sp?) were exceptional. Always leaving my room clean with a creative surprise on my bed with great attention to details. I stayed in building 20 which is quiet. It is not the closest bungalow to the pool and the restaurants but I like that as I like to walk but it is by no means a far walking distance as this resort is quite small in size.

When sun and relaxation just aren't quite enough and you need a little extra help, go see Daniel for an excellent therapeutic massage at the Spa. Always a nice complement to my relaxing vacation. Daniel sure knows how to work out the knots accumulated with every day stress.

Special thanks to Rolando, Heriberto and Boris at client service desk. Often overlooked but probably one of the most difficult job there making sure that everyone has a good stay and taking care of the issues as they come up. You are all stars in my book. Thanks for everything.

Thanks to management for organizing a repeat customer cocktail. A nice touch with great entertainment. The Tuesday night show is always the highlight with Michael Jackson. Don't miss it. Dancers are all talented but specific mention to Roberto and Loretta who are exceptional.

I had two more memorable trips to MCSM and many more to come I am sure. Happy Holidays to my family at MCSM, see you again in 2013!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms are better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank nadma
Dear Nadma

...what can I say, you know the hotel even better than any other at the hotel!!!!

Just to thank you for your compliments and we will try to make you discover new touches we are giving to the hotel at the beginning if 2013, always trying to improve your place.

Hope to see you very soon.

Moscow
Reviewed December 22, 2012

+ a nice beach, although it can be tough to swim, especially in summer and autumn, as the wind is very strong and so are the waves (the sea is not so warm either)

+/- "All inclusive" can ruin any resort, no matter how good the chef is, but the choice and the quality of food were acceptable (for Cuban standards), although the dining was definitely pretty chaotic experience (but the same words could describe any buffet-style restaurant)

- bungalows are nice, but remember that it requires a lot of walking to get anywhere, be it the restaurant or the beach
- rooms are in desperate need of repair, everything is cramped and looks shabby
- housekeeping is irregular: the maid could come either early in the morning or later in the afternoon, regardless of "do not disturb" sign
- the service is....caribbean. Once you ask for an umbrella (because it rains heavily), you get it the next day. One time I had to go to the reception and ask them directly to bring me an extra blanket RIGHT NOW, because the maid couldn't do it in two hours, and I was almost asleep. But of course they did apologize every time, and I can't say that anyone was not friendly or willing to help. They just didn't seem to do it on time.

Overall recommendation would be to skip Santa Maria. There's not much to do around, there's nothing unique or exotic on that specific island. There are better places in Cuba, and among the island retreats the best would be Cayo Coco (or if you'd prefer a more touristic place, then choose Cayo Largo).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thefall
Dear Thefall

Thank you for choosing Melia Cayo Santa Maria for your holidays, I think after reading your review that your election was wrong, it is true that there's not a lot of things to do, but it is very similar to Cayo Coco (I was manager there before).

Anyway, I appologize for your experience and I would like you to give us the possibility to change your mind any other time.

toronto
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Had the pleasure of staying here in May 2012. This is a perfect destination for relaxation that each of us so deserve once a while. Here you can find the best beach i have seen, even better when the wind is minimal. Ideal time to come here is April/May - in my opinion. Hot days, decent nights, warm oceans and minimal waves - unbeatable beach. Can't stress that enough. The drive from the airport is about 1 hr and 20 min but it varies depending on the traffic. Although many dread this drive, i on the contrary find the ride quite interesting as you pass by 3 major towns. Great opportunity to absorb "the heart of Cuba". The towns are picturesque and you can truly catch a glimpse of the local culture and everyday life as you literally drive through the towns' squares. The drive on the causeway was much less exciting but in my opinion the drive overall is not that bad. I anticipated my 3 yr old to have "cabin fever" on the bus but she ended up counting all the horses (about 50 of them)she saw en route until she fell asleep on the bus--phew. This was my 2nd time here in 7 years. The area of Cayo Santa Maria has developed into a world class resort destination with many new resorts, pueblas, 24-hr medical centre and dolphinarium. This was my 2nd visit at this hotel and to be honest not much has changed here except for two things: 1) vegetation has matured making the resort even more beatiful with its plants, flowers and overall landscaping 2) rooms have aged significantly (as expected) and sadly nothing has been done about it. This was my only negative point of the stay. This is a smaller hotel in the area which is great for those that like it more compact and less walking. I had a higher floor as i prefer a balcony vs. terrace. All rooms are nicely appointed but it definitely needs updating, especially the bedding, bathrooms and a new paint job is in order. They should replace the bed cover and pillows. Also the cleaning stuff could do a better job in cleaning up especially the halllways. Some room service plates were eft for 2 whole days outside of some rooms in the heat, garbabe was not picked up from the garbage bins in front of the villas and lizard poop was not swept up as it should be. I am not trying to be picky but these are basics in hospitality services. Service is fantastic 90% of the time although couple of wait staff members in the buffet seemed disinterested in their job at times making some guests wait for their assistance. The omelette station gentleman was outstanding. He deserves big kudos. Because of friendliness and attitude of people like him this resort thrives on repeat clients. If everyone took pride in their job and had such a radiant attitude, attentiveness, this place would stand out even more. The food is great....yes...and it's Cuba...best dining experience was in the French a la carte and the lunch grill restaurant by the beach - amazing. Keep it up! The main buffet should actually close for lunch as most of the guests go to the beach grill to eat at lunch anyway....yummy fresh catch of the day is the best! The entertainment staff is great and so are the evening shows. There is nothing to complain about. They do their best. This is not Vegas. Activities during the day are great as well especially the beach tai-chi..well done! I absolutely loved the fact that the hotel brought local talent to show their dancing skills poolside in the afternoon. This was a treat. This hotel has great pools, very nice kids club with its own pool and it is well maintained overall. The lobby bar is fantastic along with a piano bar which turns into a lively place at night. They also put on a beach party once a week weather permitting. All the guests seem to enjoy it. Great atmosphere overall and truly a relaxing resort as it doesnt have the masses and the bustle some of the bigger resorts tend to have. Tips: you can exchange your $$ rigth at the resort. Buy your souvenirs at the airport especially like Rum and Cigars as they are much cheaper than at the hotel. Cayo Santa Maria is unbeatable value in Cuba - it has great hotels and oustanding beach and it's always well priced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank ktza
Dear Ktza

When you come to Cayo Santa Maria, you can not look for crazy party and many Disco, for that you can go to Varadero so you knew exactly what you looked for when you chose your holidays, quiet environment, nice food, funny entertainement, sun, beach and something really important a good relation quality-price.

Tiny, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2012

the hotel was a standard 4- 4 1/2 * in Cuba. i liked it because it was not too big and it is the bungalo style, 8 rooms to a unit. the room was well appointed, but it is dated and the bathroom in particular needed a bit of repair. the caulking at the base of the tub had cracks in it and ants came in and they could not get rid of them. i had a great view of the pool and was there in 1 min from my room, on the pool bar side. great staff. I was there lst week of Dec, so not all rest were available to go to, but went to the French, Japanese and Mediterainian and the food was great in all, the Buffet had a good selection and the food was fresh. Great beach...endless, lots of loungers at both pool and beach. The ride to the hotel would be the biggest draw back as it is 90 min and the last 45 on the causeway was a bit of a roller coater ride and i did not enjoy that.

Room Tip: i don't know if you could get a really bad room here. some have a bit of an ocean view, and som...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Oldbroad
Dear Oldbroad

It is true that the trip from Santa Clara Airport to the hotel takes about 90 minutes, that's why we try to check in at the airport and second, the trip is nice to see the real Cuba before enter the Key and also because tour leaders use to explain about Cuba.

I see that at the hotel you had a nice time so we got our goal.

Hope to see you again at the Hotel