4,813 results
All reviewsbeach restaurantjuan carlosthe bussnack bara la carte restaurantsfishpizzabuffet restaurantcalamaritai chientertainment staffthe grillsanta mariawater pressureair transatwater polobeef
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Just returned from another awesome week at MCSM. Was a last minute trip as I was in desperate need of rest, was recovering from a throat infection and a broken rib.This was certainly the right decision, No better place to recuperate.
Arrived at the resort and was greeted and welcomed by Veraletti. As well, the new front desk manager, Alexis, introduced himself, welcomed me and told me to let him know if they could do anything to make my stay more pleasant. A very nice personal touch!!
My oceanview room in bungalow 17, my favorite, was a most inviting and welcome sight. Even though it was windy and the ocean was rough (red flag up) it was still very peaceful looking out the window and listening to the water against the shore. My room was well maintained and decorated with flowers and towel animals. Thanks Zailyn and girls.
I was there in July with no hot water and was one of the guests transferred when they closed the hotel. Great job on the repairs. Water was so hot, I had to turn it down and I had great pressure.
I spent the week visiting with old friends and relaxing at the pool. Osbiel, the bartender came around and took drink orders frequently. Much appreciated. Deivy and his activity staff offered activities throughout the week, you could participate or just watch. Staff are friendly and inviting.
Rolando and Heriberto at guest services were always inquiring if everything was ok or if I needed anything. My AC actually stopped working and i was offered a new room. Turned out to be the thermostat which was replaced quickly. After that i couldn't shut it off without flipping the breaker so I joked that I had a ghost.
The gardeners work tirelessly to ensure the grounds were well maintained and Israel kept the pool clean and inviting.
The food was great, plenty of it and a good variety. I only ate at the buffet so can't comment on the a la carte restaurants. Frank and Daniel continue to make delicious eggs and crepes. The bread there is something else, really enjoyed my morning toast. At night, rice made to order and dessert crepes were a highlight.
Once again, I enjoyed the nightly weekday shows put on by the Melia dancers. They are fabulous and very talented, even if I am a bit biased.
I met the new manager Marco and he was very friendly and always greeted me when I saw him and asked how everything was. What more could a person ask for?
The bellboys, Jorge, Alexis, Michel and Adrien are all wonderful to talk to and always happy to take you wherever you need to go, Thanks Anabel and Veraletti for your assistance.
The trip was exactly what I needed, sunshine, good friends and a place to heal and rejuvinate.
The MCSM is a wonderful hotel with beautiful surroundings and a breathtaking view. The staff are hard working people who go above and beyond to ensure that your vacation is everything you hope for and more. A sincere thank you to all of the Melia family for a wonderful week. It is my home away from home, a sanctuary, and a place I will continue to visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
22  Thank gypsyk
Marco M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2011

Thanks for be a loyal customer of Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for write a review on Trip Advisor website.

We are very happy to know that your health condition has improved and we hope that your injury
will be a memory pretty soon.

In the last 2 months, we make many changes and improvments in several aspects, both in facilities and infrastructure.
One of the most important has been the change of the entire AC and hot water system, which now works perfectly.

With the arrival of 2 new Executive Chef, one from Canada and one from Italy, our gastronomic offer has increased dramatically.

Anyway, any change would not help much without the human warmth, the commitment and profesionalism of our Staff, which is undoubtedly our most valuable up grade.

Melia Cayo Santa Maria will always be your home away from home and here we´ll waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Just got back from the Melia Cayo Santa Maria. WoW, this hotel is amazing, the food is excellent, the beach grill for lunch had tasty pork chops, chicken, beef, onions, peppers, potatoes cooked on the grill drizzled with BBQ sauce ! You can also order from the menu, the fish and calmar are excellent, thumbs up for this restaurant. The restaurants la la carte are very good and beautiful, the Asian is the best, followed by the Italian. The buffet is very great! This was my third time at this resort, the ground is well maintained. The pools are crystal clear. The staff is very friendly and polite. The beach, beautiful as always with great staff. If you want to snorkle, you must walk pass the next door resort (Sol) were you will find a nice location full of reefs and fish, note that there is a nude beach at the Sol ... The beach bar is very well located. Short distance to walk to the Pueblo were you will find a great disco, bowling, markets ... great place for a good time ! We will return to this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms `Pelicano` shower with lots of hot water and excellent pressure!
27  Thank Ladies c
Marco M, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thanks for choose Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for describe your vacation in Trip Advisor.

Your appreciation about the quality of our food service make us very pleased; almost
one month ago we hired two new Executive Chefs, one from Canada and one from Italy,
and they greatly increased the quality of our service.

Meliá Cayo Santa Maria has a prime location; is surrounded by lush gardens, a beautiful beach and it is very close to the "Pueblo".

The warmth and commitment of our Staff members are the most important Up Grades of our Hotel and are the reasons why we have a so high number of repeat customers; we really hope
you will be one of them pretty soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Just returned from Melia Cayo Santa Maria, Wow what a difference a few months can make. The water problem is totally resolved. The new chefs from Italy and Canada have taken this resort to the next level. The food is consistent and I would say better than good I would say excellent. The return visitor’s appreciation night was totally over the top, with dancer’s, door prices and a private dinner. The beach as normal is totally fantastic, the rooms have been upgraded with flat screen TV’s and new fixtures. The staff is an amazing group and always friendly and egger to help. Great selection of mixed drinks, the grounds and pool are maintained perfectly. I think this resort just earned its 4 ½ stars back, I would say it is closer to 5. Great job staff, I can’t wait to return.

40  Thank SolutionsFinancial
Marco M, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2011

Thanks keep choosing Meliá Cayo S. Maria and for write a review in Trip Advisor.

Like you said, we finally solved our hot water and A/C issues because we installed a brand new sistem.

Our new Executive Chefs are very professional and committed; since them arrival, our level has greatly improved and a favorable opinion from a repeat customer is very important for us.

During your last visit, we started with the new "repeat customers evening", which is our way to thanks all those persons who consider Meliá Cayo S. Maria them home far away home.

Once again, thanks for your opinion, for your suggestions and I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have just returned from the Melia Cayo Santa Maria, the staff at this resort is what made an impact on myself and the friends I travelled with. The manager of the Buffet restaurant should be so proud of them. Big Thank you to Aberahan, Maxwell, Ernesto, the girls who's names I have missed placed, and all the cooks behind the buffet. Mr. Manager learn a lesson from your staff and smile! your staff out shine you. The activities staff Ernesto, Denise, and Yolanda was a pleasure getting to know you all, the resort was not very busy and they tryed to get people involved but not to many tourist wanted to join in but they made the best by just talking and getting to know you. The rooms are very nice, good size and kept clean, mini fridge always filled with water,pop, and beer. This resort is beautifully landscaped, I even talked to the grounds keepers(Nelson), they spoke some English also, I have been to many resorts in Cuba, this resort many of the staff speak English and those who can't sure give it a good try. Oh yes and people say you don't go to Cuba for the food, well nothing wrong with the food at this resort, good fish,chicken,pork,stir fry rice, the smoothies, ice cream(nice flavours) and the pizza was really, really good at the 24hr Snack bar by the pool, and again hands up to staff here also. If you go to the pool early around 6:30 to 7:00 you will see a crab in the pool the pool guy cleans the pool everyday, they usually leave the pool but if not he will scoop him out. The shows at night were pretty good, I enjoyed them, from singers to the dancers. Didn't spend much time on the beach but was also beautiful, nice soft white sand, unfortunately wavey and windy most days, hope to return to this resort again I would recommend it to anyone.
I really only have one negative, that is that the Managers families live on the resort and the children(very young 4 & 3yrs) are up and running around late at night (11pm) every night, build complex for them off the resort.
It is a 1hr 45 min. bus ride from the airport but if you are doing this ride during the daytime sit back and you will enjoy the view, time will just fly by.
If you plan on going to Cuba, take a chance on this place you will not be disappointed unless you are very difficult to please, I surely enjoyed my week at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria!!

Room Tip: We had rooms 1513-1512 lower level our balcony had no view, all bushes, for privacy it is good but I would have preferred poolview. My personnel towel was taken, my fault shouldn't have left it hanging on the railling all day.
6  Thank LuvthebeachHamilton

Thanks for prefer Meliá Cayo Santa Maria and for describe your vacation on Trip Advisor.

We are proud to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceed your expectations;
in Meliá Cayo Santa Maria we work with great care and commitment and your words are
the best reward for our efforts.

With all the due respect, permit me to review what you wrote about our Food & Beverage Manager.
He is very professional and dedicated; thanks to him, our quality of service has improved a lot.
if he gave you the impression of not being a smiling or charismatic person, I assure you that is a feeling that does not reflect the reality.

About his children, I remember you that from the first of November 2010 Meliá Cayo Santa Maria is a family Hotel; during your stay, there were many families with children and all lived and enjoyed without any problems.

The reason why the Managers, and their relatives if they have, is purely logistic.
Meliá Cayo Santa Maria it is 52 km. far from the mainland; live in the Hotel give us the opportunity to be present 24/7 for any emergency or needs from our customers.

One again, thanks for your visit and we hope you´ll decide to return soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is our favorite Cuban location but before I go on I just want ever one to know what to expect if you go here or to Cayo Santa Maria in general. Cayo Santa Maria is an island with the world most beautiful beach and hotels (only hotels). The closest town is Caibarien and it is 50 minutes away. This is no Vararedo with the posibility of going into town and party. The Melia is a smaller hotel complex of about 325 rooms and is more oriented to couples (or singles) that are looking for rest and relaxation and enjoying the beach and sun. If you are looking to meet other singles and nightlife this is not for you so don't go and then complain about it please.
That being said we love this hotel. (we've been here 7 times) It is small close to the beach and all of the hotel facilities. It is about 8 years and has been well maintained. It seems that last spring there were some issues with hot water and air conditioning in some of the units but the hotel was shut down for 2 months and the repairs seem to have been completed. We were here from the 13th to the 27 of November. The weather was in the upper 80s but with wind during the entire 2 weeks (but only 2 days were uncomfortable). The hotel was empty I would estimate under 150 people (possibly in part to the bad press from last spring. We didn't mind and it meant that you could always get a hut on the beach or a chair at the pool.
The rooms were clean and the maids kept them clean throughout the 2 weeks.
The food at the buffet was good and varied (remember this is Cuba) Along with the regular buffet foods ther is a grill (great tuna steaks) and pasta bar (fresh pasta this year) and a fried rice stand made to order. There are four "a la carte" restaurants. Mediterranean, French, Japanese ( with a chef per grill) and Italian. They are excellent. The pizza at the pool restaurant is excellent as is the Cuban soup at the Ranchon (beach restaurant)
The Melia's beach is the best on the Island and the best maintained. It was very windy during our stay so several days left heavy deposits of sea weeds on the island. he Melia staff cleaned the beach and kept it clean where as the other hotels took several days to clean their beaches.
What makes this hotel special is its staff. Being small you can really get to know them and it is worth it. They are warm and ready to make your stay wonderful. It is my pleasure to consider several as my freinds and we always look forward to seeing them next year.
If you are looking for rest and relaxation in a smaller hotel with good food a great staff on one of the nicest and longest beaches anywhere than I would suggest this hotel. All I can say is "see you next year Melia Cayo Santa Maria"

Herb and Lucie Wossidlo

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Herb W
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2016

Dear Mr & Mrs,
Greetings from Melia Cayo Santa María!
Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!

Kind regards,