Our group of 6 persons visited the Sol Cayo Santa Maria for the week of May 4, 2014 to May 11, 2014, we travelled on Cubana Airlines. I will start with Cubana Airlines, the flight was on time and I loved the room on the airplane, it had plenty of leg and shoulder room which normally comes at a premium cost with other airlines. I had emailed the resort to request rooms several weeks in advance and was very happily surprised to receive a response from the resort a couple of hours later, I had requested that our group be situated in the same block and near the beach as we are all family members and although we were not all in the same block, we were just a short walk away and some of us had at least a partial ocean view which was great, I also received a lovely bottle of rum in my room as my Husband and I had spent our Honeymoon at this resort 7 years ago which was a very nice touch. I must admit that the rooms are showing their age but any issues that we had were handled very quickly and efficiently, I also spoke to a fellow vacationer who had visited this resort on numerous occasions and said that she had seen many positive improvements to the property over the years. The foliage around the resort is very lush, I guess this is because this is the "Grandpa" of Cayo Santa Maria and was the first resort built, I also loved the size of the resort it is very small and intimate in comparison to some of the other huge resorts on this Cayo. I loved the beach and only wish that we had one green flag day during our week stay, I think we had two yellow flags and the rest were red and although the younger people in our crowd loved the waves they were a little strong for someone like me with arthritic knees, I was told that certain months of the year are better than others for calm waters in this area.
We ate breakfast and Dinner every day at the buffet and found the food to be very good and well prepared, we found that there was more than enough variety of food for our group, I must also make mention of the fact that the staff in general throughout this resort is excellent and really must be congratulated, they are very professional and they make you feel as if you are at home and with family, as others have said on trip advisor the staff is one of the Sol Cayo Santa Maria's biggest assets. We ate our lunch at either the beach restaurant or the pizza place and both were great. If I had one complaint it would be about all the cats, I love cats but there are so many of them and I felt bad that I couldn't look after them all, I asked one of the ladies in customer service if there was a spay and neuter program and she told me no not in the cayos. I also learned that when people feed the cats they do not learn how to hunt which I had not thought of. We had a great time and would recommend this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In an island paradise off the northern coast of Cuba stands the All Inclusive 4-star Sol Cayo Santa Maria hotel (300 rooms). Ideal for simply relaxing or for exploring the clear ocean bottom and neighboring keys that surround this marvelous Cuban tourist destination. Enjoy an unforgettable holiday with your family, all included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Sol Cayo Santa Maria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Cayo Santa Maria Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
- Sol Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
- Cayo Maria Santa Sol
- Sol Cayo Santa Maria Cuba
- Cayo Santa Maria Sol