“Had a great time!”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Charlottetown, Canada
“Had a great time!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed at the Sol from March 14 - 21. We had booked a superior ocean view room and we received what might be the best room on the property. We had stairs leading down to a sandy "back yard" and a path that lead to the beach and because the path was cleared we did have an ocean view. The room was enormous with a living room, bedroom, bathroom with a spa tub and shower, a room with just the toilet and a room that housed a sink and, strangely enough, a full sized fridge plus + a long counter with a sink in front of the closet which contained a safe. Mini-fridge was always stocked and air con worked quite well. There were two TVs. The units that back on the ocean had an amazing breeze even on the hottest days. First time in Cuba so I can't compare to other Cuban resorts, but we found the room and complex to be quite clean. Food was pretty good especially the pizza. There was always something to eat no matter how picky you are. People were very nice and helpful. Pools were clean. Night time entertainment was pretty good. We really enjoyed the music in the piano bar. Beach was amazing and we only had, I think, 2 red flag days. Loved the Cuban cats! I wore bug repellent and can't say that I was bothered at all by bugs. Really, it was all we wanted....gorgeous beach, quiet resort, not crowded at all and always able to get beach and pool chairs, glorious heat and nice guests and staff. My only complaints would be that the buffet restaurant can be rather warm at times making it difficult to enjoy your meal and our particular unit had a sewage smell in and near the bathroom. It was a wonderful trip and we look forward to returning to Cuba. Thanks to all the members of the staff who looked after us so well!!

Room Tip: This is a small resort and all the rooms are close to everything. Rooms with a porch facing the bea...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank carolannewolkowski
Lati N, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear ottawacarol

On behalf of Hotel Management and all the staff working at Sol Cayo Santa María, we thank you for publication on Tripadvisor about your experience in our hotel.

We are very happy to acknowledge that your experience was amazing and unforgettable due to our facilities and excellent service. In Sol Cayo Santa María we want our valuable costumers to enjoy memorable holidays.

We invite you to visit us once again so you can enjoy our facilities and remain at your disposition for any further assistance prior your return.

We hope to see you very soon.

Lati Naimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I'd like to extend a big "thank you" to all the staff--the chambermaids, chefs, servers, bartenders, cleaners, gardeners, front desk staff, drivers, tour guides and entertainers--who made my visit so special. The staff of the Sol Cayo Santa Maria took excellent care of me and my family during our one-week stay in mid-March. Thank you!

Cayo Santa Maria is a beautiful spot. Yes, it is a 1.5- or 2-hour drive from the airport in Santa Clara, but along the way you see some stunning countryside and get to drive through some beautiful historic towns. The causeway linking the island to mainland Cuba is particularly nice when seen during the day. The drive is worth it for the perfect beach that awaits you when you arrive.

Overall, I thought that the resort was clean and well-maintained. The only issue I really noticed was that some planks on one of the boardwalks to the beach were wobbly and looked like they were about to give way. At the tail-end of our stay, staff put up a barricade to stop guests using this particular walkway.

We stayed in room 4801--what a great location! We were five minutes from the lobby, pools, buffet, store, etc., and about a two-minute walk from the beach. The air conditioning worked really well, and the patio offered wonderful views of the ocean. Perhaps my favourite feature was the bathroom: the bathtub/shower featured a floor-to-cleaning window overlooking the beach--you can't beat that! The chambermaid always cleaned the room quite thoroughly and restocked the mini fridge with beer, water and soft drinks. The complimentary bottle of five-year-old rum was delicious! One small issue--and it really wasn't a problem at all--was that there were no screens on the sliding doors to the patio. It would have been nice to hear the waves while one slept without having to worrying about bugs getting in.

My parents were in room 4701 and we all noticed that there was quite the smell of sewage coming from around their bungalow. Perhaps a septic tank was located nearby, but whatever the reason, it was not the most pleasant experience. I'd think twice about booking that particular room.

In terms of bugs, I would advise bringing some bug spray and After Bite--the sand flies did a number on me.

I know that people like to complain about the food in Cuba, but I never felt let down by the food at this resort. There was always something tasty at the buffet. Besides the standard fare, staff would set up a special table most nights with a rotating menu--sometimes you'd get sushi, other times fried rice, or bananas flambeed in rum and sugar. The steak, chicken and seafood at the grill was very nice. The churros in the morning were a real treat, and Cuban coffee is delicious. You might be a little disappointed in the white wine, though. I think the dairy was excellent--I could have lived on the cheese and ice cream.

We tried both a la carte restaurants. The Italian was good, but the portions were a might small. Very tasty, though. We had lobster at the Cuban restaurant and it was delicious.

As well, hot dogs and paninis were served 24 hours a day from the pool bar; the beach bar had hot dogs and calamari; and there was an excellent pizza place next to the beach. That might have been my favourite place to dine.

In any case, I found that there was always plenty to eat at the Sol, so I wouldn't worry too much about the those who say Cuban food is sub-par.

The drinks served at the lobby bar seemed to taste a little bit better than those you got elsewhere--maybe they're using better quality alcohol.

The nightly entertainment wasn't bad--singing, comedy shows, magic shows, dance routines, etc. The performers were definitely hard workers--you could see them practicing on stage during the hottest part of the day!

There were three pools linked together: the main pool, which encircled the pool bar; the children's pool; and a quiet pool at the end that was quite relaxing.

The beach, as I mentioned earlier, was fantastic. If you want to snorkel, I recommend the rocks just off the clothing-optional section. To get there, turn left when you hit the beach--you'll have no trouble spotting it ;) I saw lots of colourful fish and it was a definite highlight for me. The water was warm and often calm and very clear. It definitely rivalled the beaches I've seen in the Dominican and in Varadero.

If you get the chance, taking a bus into the nearby towns--Caibarien, Camajuani, Remedios or Santa Clara--is a great opportunity to see something a little more authentic. Learning more about the history and seeing the beautiful Spanish colonial architecture was another highlight for me.

All in all, this was a wondering and relaxing trip. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Cayo Santa Maria to those looking for a peaceful getaway. If you're picky about food or decor, you may wish to stay elsewhere, but I thought this was a great resort whose best attributes were its beach and its people. Thanks again to everyone for their hospitality and for sharing their country with me.

Room Tip: If being close to the beach matters to you, try and snag one of the rooms in the 40 block--you'l...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Ottawatraveller88
Lati N, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Ottawatraveller88

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Sol Cayo Santa María and for having chosen our hotel to spend your vacations.

In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read that you had enjoyed from a “ special” as the title of your review content shows us and we are very pleased for your positive lines referring our gastronomy services , hotels rooms and the friendliness of our staff. This motivates us to keep working to make feel our valuable costumers a dream come true as we aim in Sol Cayo Santa María
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.

Mount Pearl, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This was my third visit to Cuba and my first to this part of the island. This trip was booked quite spontaneously- the price was right. Overall it just what I needed, a relaxing quiet week away from the Canadian winter.

The service of the staff was great- Devrys checked us in and gave us a good rundown of what to expect. Rosita and William at the lobby bar always had my cafe con leche ready in the morning when I took a seat. Eric at the beach bar was a blast, he kept the crevaza flowing. Jacky with the entertainment team was wonderful- she remembered my name and spoke with me various times during the week after I had won the "bingo bingo bingo " game!

This resort has a capacity for just over 300 I believe which meant no crowds anywhere. There were always loungers by the pool and tables at the buffet restaurant. There as not a lot of activity around the pool area other than very loud music. The pool a little towards the back was far enough away so that you could still hear the music but not be bothered by it. I think the lack of activity can be attributed to the small number of people around.

The food was pretty good- I recommend the freshly cooked- omelette for breakfast, grilled meat or fish for dinner. We ate in both a la cartes- both very intimate locations- the Italian is inside a building while the Cuban restaurant is outside. Food at both was good along with the service.

The beach was quite nice- we took a long walk to the right one day- quite a long walk- miles and miles of beach. To the left on the beach there is a clothing optional section, unexpected but relaxing.

The rooms were spacious and clean- we were in building 59 on the second floor- far enough away from the center of activity that there was never any noise.

There are quite a lot of cats on the property- not bothersome- they did wander around and "talk" to people.

It is true that the resort is showing some wear- there are cracked tiles and walkways, places that could use a fresh coat of paint and the pool could use a cleaning- but overall none of these items impacted my great vacation.

If you are looking to relax in a hot location with sunshine and a beach this is a good place to do it- you will not feel crowded which certainly helps in the relaxation department.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NLJackie71
Dear NLJackie71

We want to thank you so much for your comments. Although we keep working hard in renovations to give you all the best, our amazing staff members like Delvis at the reception, William and Rosita with her beautiful smile in the lobby bar and the hard working and Eric at the beach with his blast service , is what makes everyone´s stay special in Sol Cayo Santa María, and therefore keeps our clients returning to us even twice or more a year.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

visited this hotel march break . booked very last minute because of the price great deal for march break. Have been to cayo santa maria before and know how wonderful the beach is the best we have been to in cuba or Mexico. Booked through Hola Sun and Flew with Canjet excellent flight and good organisation at airport.
The Sol Cayo Santa Maria is the oldest hotel on the island and does show its age in the facilities and rooms.
Rooms were adequate, bed was reasonably comfortable had to ask for extra pillow was provided same day cleanliness of room was good.

The Beach was excellent and the pool was good lots of different levels. Was pleasantly surprised that even though it was march breaks there were lots of chairs available at both the beach and the pool no getting up at 6am to reserve This was also true for the bars and restaurants which was great.

Most of the bars and restaurants provided great service and reasonable food and drinks. the lady who ran the beach bar has the best attitude and smile ever. The other bars had good drinks and great cappuccinos and irish coffees. the piano bar was great and relaxing pity it wasn't open all the time. food yes it is cuba so don't expect great food or lettuce however for lunch check out the beach restaurant great fish and chips and a good hamburger The serving staff in all the bars and restaurants were fast and friendly with one major exception.

That was the buffet avoid the buffet at all costs unless you are a native Spanish speaker as you will get ignored and will be kept waiting until the staff have finished talking to the Spanish speakers from argentina or elsewhere. in order to get a glass of water to drink with your meal you had to get it yourself from the waiters station I and many other people did this and if you were lucky enough to get there attention and order something they would forget or get sidetracked when a Spanish speaker asked for something.

other negatives about this hotel The animation was not great they did not seem to organise many activities or if they did the did not advertise it very well .

This hotel would have been good but for the buffet restaurant it was the worst service I have had in my 7 times to cuba and my 4 times to Cuban melia hotels go to the dunas or the husa if you want to go to cayo santa maria.

2 Thank john f
Dear john f

We want to thank you so much for your comments. Although we keep working hard in renovations to give you all the best, besides that we have a plan of new ideas to improve our entertainment activities to give a lovely and a good time with us and at the same time we are making some changing to the buffet´s staff to give to our guest an excellent service and mke to your vacation a marvelous dream.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We just return (March 04 - March 11, 2014) from another amazing trip to Cuba. It was one week of fun, enjoyment, relaxation, and great experience. We knew what to expect when going to Cuba. We’ve been there already several times but in the Varadero area. From a time perspective we wish to stay at Sol for two weeks. As always, we reviewed comments before choosing where to go. We have read the negative reviews, some very bad, some not so good. Of course we did not pay attention to the worst reviews. We came to the conclusion that the very negative comments were posted erroneously and should regard a resort different than Sol. If not, then we recommend for all those whiners: http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/escape/worlds-15-most-expensive-hotel-suites-747256. We chose Sol for two reasons: beach and snorkeling. We expected average hotel and service (by Cuban standards). Overall, what we experienced exceeded our expectations. For two reasons: beach/ocean and hospitality.
Staff
The Staff makes this place so amazing and exceptional. The Staff that works so hard to make the Sol special deserves commendation. We have met great staff in other resorts, but this Staff was incredible. I wish we would have such a staff here in Ontario. This wonderful Staff was devoted, efficient, ready to serve you, very polite, and cheerful every time (despite long hours of work and some rude clients). The staff was very honest. We forgot to lock our safe for one day. Nothing was even touched.
Our special thanks go to Daisvel, Ernesto, Julio DJ, Kirenia, Mandy, Reinier, Rosita, Sorge and to many others whose names we don't remember.
Besides tips, as in the past we brought gifts. We found this is the better way of showing your satisfaction for the service offered to you. One small gift could be valued several times your tips. Caveat to that, our maid was a male. For several days we did not realize this. He did fantastic job. No complaints on our end. On his end, well, sorry Amigo, all our gifts that we left were for women.
Resort
The resort was the right size for us. It is spacious one so be prepared to walk – a great enjoyment for us though, we are fairly active people and sedentary life style is not our nature. Spacious but not crowded, which we considered a huge bonus. The resort is quiet. Sol is the oldest on the cayo. The resort is showing its age – yes, it shows signs of wear – yes, a little bit run down - yes. After reading the negative reviews we expected worse. What a pleasant surprise. The Sol is a typical Cuban 4 Star resort, comparable to other older resorts in the Varadero area. Of course a few things could be improved, repaired, like everywhere else. The place is clean. No complains about the room, it was adequate. We did not need a fancy room; we stayed in our room for 5-6 hrs at night. We came to Sol not for the room. Room was quite basic, little rustic, but fairly clean, daily with fresh towels and bottled water. A bit unusual was a huge window by the shower/bathtub. Needless to say the window was not tinted, so the pull-down curtain was very handy. AC/fridge worked great, toilet slightly sluggish, always hot water. We stayed in 35xx section.
Cats were not a nuisance at all but a pleasant addition to the resort (especially kittens). Some even would say that the cats add some exotic atmosphere to the resort. Of course there is no place for cats at Ritz or other over-sanitized, luxurious resorts. The same for birds, butterflies, lizards, etc. Anyway, we enjoyed a bit closer contact with the nature. We noticed that restoration of vegetation was in progress in a few areas. Good sign.
Contrary to a few comments, we did not find the resort not lit enough. We look at that differently. Dimmed lights added a charm at evenings and nights, gave the resort a character. The pathways were very romantic, a bit of surreal and exotic. We were joking about some people’s comments that there was a trip and safety hazard at night. There was no disco/dance at nights, so if you are looking for this type of activities you could be disappointed. For us, we were tired after day on the beach, long walks, swimming, and above all snorkeling, so we did not miss disco.The pizza restaurant was always clean; the floors always swept and clean despite the proximity to the beaches.We cannot say a lot of about the pool since we used it only twice since we stay mostly at the beach. We used our GoPro for underwater shots in the pool and it was OK – no murky water. Security was higher than in Varadero due to the isolation of Cayo Santa Maria and easier “traffic control” (if you know what we mean).A police check point (just a canopy facing the beach) was close to “the point” (between Sol and Melia Buenavista) and a few times we saw a policeman over there. One drunken lady benefited from his presence when she decided to take a nap in the ocean. In general, not even once we felt unsecure in Cuba. As far as mosquitos go – there was none. Perhaps because of the dry season or because of fumigation that took place at the evenings.
Comparing food to other comparable Cuban resorts - average. I am vegetarian, but always was able to find a selection of food to satisfy my appetite. However, we must admit we are not picky ones. Omelets were great. Lots of food choices, although we avoided what appeared to be from the previous day(s). Although the variety was limited, we enjoyed the fresh fruits, sometimes with ice-cream. However, ice-cream was rancid twice; some cheese was rancid as well and although it passed the visual inspection it landed on our plates. Besides that, no major complains. Sometimes there was a short line in the buffet (fish, omelets), but the Staff was efficient, so the waiting time was no longer than a few minutes. We benefited from our team work. My wife waited for omelets or fish and I toasted the bread. The only negative comment – one of two available toasters was not working for 3 days. We visited two a la carte restaurants (Cuban and Italian). Service was great, fast, professional. Food was OK, nothing fancy or extravagant. They provided additional dishes for vegetarian in lieu of what was offered. We had no complains. Some people complained about the pizza dough they used in the pizza restaurant. Well, they used pita-like flat bread. We enjoyed it. It was different, like there are so many different variations of pizza. No reasons to complain. Pizza to-go was great and tasted differently on the beach.
Speaking about pizza restaurant. One day there was a power outage during lunch time. In addition, there was a communication problem, not everyone understood Spanish and the Pizza Bar crew could not explain in English or French why there is no pizza (no power) and why they offered pasta instead (gas ovens were working fine).As a result, we were ashamed of some people’s reactions and comments.
Good selection of alcohol – we tried many types of Cuban brands. Bar tenders could make many types of cocktails. The Bar service was great. If you preferred – the bar staff did not hesitate to serve you stronger versions of their regular drinks. Doble Cubata y triple Cuba Libre– many good memories, but no hangover - different climate and atmosphere. And of course coffee, Sambuca and cigars made many moments unforgettable.
Beach
Fantastic beach, white sand for a few kilometers (west of Sol). Beach secluded, charming, and peaceful – a little piece of paradise. In the morning and afternoon there were just two of us. Generally, you can feel like Robinson Crusoe. Around the noon there were a few more people walking – typically to “the point”. We recommend the beach west of Sol. Water gets deeper a few meters from the beach, and coral reefs started 20-30 m from the shore – good for snorkeling, we did not have to swim some distance to see coral reefs and fish. Good snorkeling around “the point”. Bring some bread/banana to feed the fish. We snorkeled for 3 days (calm water) and immensely enjoyed watching fish and coral reef.
The CO (clothing optional) western part of the beach was very quiet, relaxing, although a few more loungers and shaded areas/huts would be very welcome, existing ones require some renovation. A sign that this is CO section of the beach would be helpful to warn people in advance about open nudity. We noticed several people were shocked to see naked people and turned back.
Overall, great resort, lots of opportunities, and above all great Staff. We would not hesitate for a moment to go back to the Sol! We love Cuba and we love Cubans, our hearts are with you. They are sincere, proud of whom they are, hardworking people who face the vicissitudes of life with a great smile and patience. We wish you all the best y hasta luego amigos.

3 Thank Happy-Snorkelers
Dear Happy-Snorkelers

We hope to see you very soon.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Just got back from the Sol and my spouse and I have a really great relaxing vacation. We were there from March 3 to 15. The Sol has the nicest beach, compared to the others on the right side. Never seen such beautiful turquoise waster like that before! The pools were very clean and not too many people. I have to assume it's because the beach is so nice. The food was fine, never got sick. Needs a bit more of a variety but at least it's good. The staff is incredible, from Rosita, Jorge, Jorge and Jorge! Seems like everyone's name is Jorge! Thank you Jorge Luis Castella for the great lobster dinner! Hope your son will enjoy his Senator's hockey jersey one day! Love this place and would go back in a minute. Saying hi to Wayne and Shelly, people we met from Regina. Really had a good time with you guys. Looking forward going back next year maybe?!!!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for ocean view, there really isn't any. We were offered ocean view by the fr...
Dear Client

Thank you very much for your good comments.Be sure that we work as hard as possible to give always the best experience to all of our dear guests.That is why our staff works for. Our hotel is involved in a renovation process that will give us our structural conditions back. Nevertheless I would like to inform you we have a new management team with great ideas to apply at work in hope to get higher results.
We hope you can come back to Sol Santa Maria again.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We traveled to Sol this past week March 10-17). We booked on a whim and the price was excellent. We were pleasantly surprised with the size and cleanliness of our room.As per Cuba the food wasn't great but there was always something to eat. The staff were very hard working. Katherin in the dining room was amazing.She got to know us pretty quickly and was always there with a drink and a smile.She even prepared a special table for us on our last night there complete with flowers and fancy napkin artwork. All of this and she had only been there 4 days! Rosita in the lobby bar was wonderful-full of fun and providing great service.She helped make it a very good vacation. Like other resort in Cuban, it needs an infusion of cash to make improvements to its facilities but for the price we had no complaints.Oh yes bring a big mug as the glasses are small and dont forget the OFF!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lati N, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Marie L,

We want to thank you so much for your comments. Although we keep working hard in renovations to give you all the best, our amazing staff members like Rosita with her beautiful smile in the lobby bar and the hard working Katherin with her fancy napkin artwork in the dining room, is what makes everyone´s stay special in Sol Cayo Santa María, and therefore keeps our clients returning to us even twice or more a year.