“Nice and Quiet”

Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This was my first trip to Cuba. We loved the Sol, our room was on the ground floor but we never heard a peep from any of our neighbours.

The food was a lot better than what people say about cuba and I am a picky eater. The burgers were fabulous!

The rooms were big and very clean, we had lizards on our balcony which was very cool.

The beach is nice but was quite windy, and there is a section to the left which is not for children if you know what i mean.

We went on a catamaran trip with the dolphins and besides for the fact that it was cloudy, we had a great time.

Long ride from the airport but

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sunnysandy8
Lati N, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear sunnysandy8,

Thank you very much for all your comments. We are deeply glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your satisfaction is the reason why our staff works for. We keep working hard in renovations to give you all the best.

There are newer reviews for Sol Cayo Santa Maria

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is a 3.5 star hotel with 5 star staff all the way. They go out of their way to make your trip enjoyable.

Special thanks to Rosel at the Pizza Bar and the rest of the crew. They made the trip something to always remember. Yoel and Osmany at the pool bar, best burgers and sandwiches. Rosita and Liliet at the lobby bar and the rest of the crew are a hoot. Elsa and her crew at the beach bar and grill are always there with a smile. At the buffet Marta and her crew will always make you something good to eat. Again always with a smile. The À la Cartes were also great including the staff
The rooms are dated but always clean. Towels replaced, hot water, etc. The grounds are dated but the grounds staff are always working. The staff working in the lobby again are always there and I found them to be very helpful.

The beach was amazing and always clean. The staff working the beach were always there to help. Always a clean chair/lounger.

The last question to answer is would I go back and to that the answer is a definite yes.

Dave H.
Regina Sk.

2  Thank Dave H

Dear Dave H

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sol Cayo Santa Maria from Feb11-18th, I picked this resort from the great reviews I saw here on Trip advisor. It didn't dissapoint! I know what to expect when going to Cuba(this is our 4th time) but 1st time to Cayo Santa Maria. The resort is just the right size, not too large, not to small, if you are looking for a small friendly place, this is it!! Beautiful beach, nice little bars and places to just hang out. Great stay for just going to hang in paradise for a week and not do much but relax. I have to mention the staff was amazing! Rosita from the lobby bar, very sweet and always smiling, Martha the seafood cook, we loved her to pieces. The only problem I had was not bringing bug spray and getting sand flea bites, but thats' my bad. lol, will be back if the price is right!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank trixietracy

Dear trixietracy

We are very glad to know that you had a good time at Sol Santa Maria and want to thank you for all your comments about our resort and our staff. We will continue working to give our guests the best of our team.
You will always be welcome here because Sol Santa María is your home away your home.
We hope to see you soon.

Lati Naími

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This was our first visit to this resort, so before we booked, we read all the reviews and some were not very good. Having travelled and read reviews of other places we have stayed, we tend to take these really negative reviews with a "grain of salt". As a number of people have already indicated in the reviews of the this hotel if you are expecting a 5 Star resort for the money you have paid to stay here, it is not going to happen and should not happen, so pay the extra bucks and go to a 5 Star (you will probably find things to complain about there too).
We stayed in room 5905, which we paid a little extra for a ocean view view room, and yes we could see the ocean, (would not upgrade next time!). The resort is made up of a number of separate 2 and 4 room kind of units, our building had four units two up and two down. The room had a king bed and decks on both front and back. The room was clean and everything worked fine (AC, shower, toilet.). Yes there was a bit of rust on the edge of the bath tub - was it terrible, did it ruin my vacation? - No!. A number of other reviews have indicated that the resort is showing its age and this is totally true. The only thing that really bothered me was some of the walkways were in bad shape, crumbled cement along the edge of the walkways. This to me is a safety issue and should be corrected, It would be easy to trip along the walkways especially at night. The resort is quite spread out so a lot of walking is required. This is my only issue I had with this place.

The Good Stuff:
-The staff makes this place, great staff all around, special kudos to our waiter Rosel at the Pizza bar, Marta, cook at main buffet and young man at the egg/omelette grill (unsure of his name).
-Nicely spread out resort, not like a big hotel did not feel crowded.
-Great beach, good snorkelling, not crowded, nice loungers (some people forget to wear their swimming costumes) - smile.
-Swimming pools were super clean.
- As it is the last hotel at the end of the strip, it just seemed quieter, not as many folks walking the beach. The hotel was not full, so that was part of it too.
-Pool bar, awesome hamburgers.
-Rooms are big and clean.
-Food was quite good at the buffet and bars.
- Although they didn't have premium international brands at the bars, they had a great selection of alcohol and could make any type of cocktail.

The Bad Stuff:
-Resort is showing its age.
-Some of the walkways are in bad shape (these should be fixed ASAP).
-Water in the pond by the piano bar is really gross.

Overall:
Great stay for the price.

Would we stay there again? - You bet!!!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the oceanview, you can see the ocean over the trees but that is about it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Hoot1man
Lati N, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Hoot1man,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Sol Cayo Santa Maria from Jan 24 to Feb 8. We love the small size of the resort. It was our third trip to this resort and our 15th trip to Cuba. We had booked this trip in early October which I think helped us get room 4903 which was in a nice quiet location. As always the staff make this resort. They are always cheerful and pleasant. It is like seeing old friends. A special thank you goes to Yoel and Boris in the pool bar, Rosita and William in the Patio Bar , Melvia in customer service and many other staff whose names I don't remember as they all helped make our trip special.
The food was good for Cuba especially the morning omelettes, the evening chefs who cooked the meat in front of us. The pizza restaurant was always good; the fresh fish cooked to order in the beach restaurant was amazing. My husband and I enjoyed the fresh fruit especially the papaya, the guava and the pineapple.
The beach is gorgeous with its soft white sand. There were quite a few days where it was too rough for my limited swimming abilities but it''s still nice to sit on the beach enjoying the sunshine.
We have no complaints about the room. It was always kept clean and we had plenty of towels.
The only downside to the resort is that it's showing it's age. While there has been work done on the resort (new metal railings and improved lighting), the upgrade program needs to be continued to bring Sol up to the standards of some of the neighbouring resorts.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cubavacationlover
Lati N, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Cubavacationlover

Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for. We are taking into consideration your piece of advice and keep working in renovations to give you all the best and in a very near future when you will visit us again you will be more comfortable .

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Okay folks, please get a refreshment and make yourself comfortable, this may take a few minutes. As mentioned this is our fourth stay at the Sol. We have always had a very pleasant experience and even staying 2 weeks, we hate to leave. This year we were there from January 24 to Feb 7. Wonderful weather, great beach, and of course the best staff of any resort out there. A special hello to Laidy, Yetsey, Vivian, Cari, Diego and Lanivier.

First, the resort - Yep, it is not the newest one on the Cayo. In fact, it is the first resort, built in 2001 and yes the climate and constant use can take a toll. There are a few things that could be improved, but I don't know anywhere that is absolutely perfect! For the money, the resort gives great value. We have never had a bad room, and everything (mostly) has worked fine. You might want to bring your own stopper for the tub if you like baths. Most any other "adjustments" were minor and easily overcome if you use a little creativity (like using the newspaper from the plane to hold up the blind in the shower :) ) For those that have expressed concerns about the picture windows that are in the bathrooms, I did notice that many rooms have had these windows replaced with a frosted window to help preserve modesty. Also, regarding the extremely firm mattresses, yep, they are hard. We were sitting in the lobby one day and noticed that some workers were loading a large truck with what appeared to be used mattresses, so maybe some updates are being made throughout the resort??

The food is good at this resort. There are lots of choices, so most folks will be able to find something they like - just keep in mind that it may not be exactly how you prepare it at home.
The grounds still need a little work, but we saw lots of examples of work that has been done to update and maintain the property.
The walkways to the beach still need a bit more work, but they have been improved, the pool was spotless and there was lots of pruning and planting going on. A big thank you to the manager and all the staff that are making this happen.
Because there are only about 300 rooms, it is easy to avoid line ups at this resort. No waiting for towels, reservations, restaurants or other services. And the grounds are spacious so there are lots of places to stroll around and soak up the sun, and also lots of chairs to lay out and relax.
One suggestion I would like to give to management is to try and update the lobby. This is the first impression everyone gets as they arrive. There is a very large water pond that circles the lobby but it appears that the pump or something is not functioning so the water is green and stale looking. There are still fish in there and a turtle, but it would look much more inviting if the water was clean and the fountain was working.

We talked to a few folks that had stayed at some of the newer, bigger resorts further up the beach. They all said the same thing - the food was better at the Sol and they liked it better because they didn't have to stand in long lineups.

People who like cats will love this resort. There are quite a few cats, and each have their own special spot to hang out. They are not at all aggressive, and certainly do enjoy a pat on the head, and maybe (if no one is looking) a little snack. I was pleased to see that they all look very healthy.
The beach is great, you can walk long distances if you are feeling energetic. We never had any problems getting chairs. The water does get deep fairly quickly, and being on the Atlantic ocean, if the wind is up so are the waves. We had a couple of days in the 2 weeks that we were there that were quite windy, so we hung out at the pool. This was not a bad thing!! We had fun.

If you are looking for spa services, the Yhi Spa is next door at the Melia and well worth a visit. If you are interesting in a very relaxing, "no frills" massage, Roberto at the Sol (in the gym building) is great. He certainly knows how to find and get the knots out and leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed.
If you want to visit the Estrella market there is a bus that will take you there for $1 per person. The schedule for the bus is a bit unreliable. We found that the 9:50 am run was the most reliable. It is very easy to find a taxi to return if you don't want to wait for the next bus.

We hope to return again next year and look forward to seeing folks that we have met. Overall, this is a great resort, with lots to offer. It is not the biggest and not the fanciest, but it certainly makes us happy. Thanks again to everyone at the resort for all of your hard work.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jujucan
Lati N, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear jujucan,

Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for. We are taking into consideration your piece of advice and keep working in renovations to give you all the best.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

O.K..Yes, I am a very picky eater and yet enjoyed the food here! That's amazing for me!
I have been to Santa Maria 3 times and Cayo Coco once and none of the resorts I have stayed at can compare to the Sol!!! The Husa is a distant nightmare and Memories was just way to big.
The Sol has an amazing staff...ALL OF THEM! The perfect size resort with the perfect beach and staff!
Yoel, Borris and Osmany at the pool bar made our stay just that much more enjoyable. The entertainment people were fun and entertaining. Melvia in customer service could not have been more kind and helpful!! People at reception were very happy and also very helpful! The rooms are large, bright and pretty comfortable. Air conditioning worked great!! Our room had no problems at all like I have read in some of the reviews. The food, compared to the other resorts I have stayed at was excellent. There was no line ups for any reason...anywhere!! Even the bank had no line up. When we arrived, check in was very fast. I have never seen a smoother running resort!
The Sol is my new home away from home!! I love Cuba and the people and this resort confirmed my constant return!

Room Tip: From what I seen, non of the rooms are very far from anything. I had an ocean view and did not ask...
7  Thank SBSweetie
Lati N, Director General at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Client
You will always be welcome here because Sol Santa maría is your home away your home.
We hope to see you soon.