“Sol has found itself!”

Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at Sol 26 Jan to 09 Feb, 2013. This was our 3rd stay at this resort. The last 2 being in 2010 when the resort was still part of the Melia group. More on THAT later....
The weather was variable for the 1st week and was not surprising being January and all....The cloud cover, windy condition and sometimes rain made for bar and shopping days. The sun did break out occassionaly and we had a glorious day on the 31th. It was 30 C, sunny and calm. It happened that we booked the all day Cat cruise that day and it couldn't have been better ( except for my fancy Waterproof?Nikon camera quitting on me during the snorkeling part....;-(
The tour is excellent and what made this one special is the fact that I had a dolphin encounter in the wild during the snorkeling! Two of these fellows swam up and around me near the end of the session! Most people were back on the boat but saw the encounter.....quite the experience!

The second week was probably the best week of weather in the history of Cayo Santa Maria!( well winter season anyways!) It was calm, hot and clear for 7 days in a row it seemed...Funny how 2 weeks can be so different but that is the reality of this part of Cuba. People that only stayed one week (26 jan to 02 Feb) would have a completely different story to tell vs. the ones that stayed 02-09 Feb!!! That is why, as a rule, we always book 2 weeks in a row now no matter were we go in the winter months.

The hotel itself is in much better shape than 3 years ago. I think this has everything to do with the fact that they were dropped from the Melia group a while ago...Now, instead of being last in line for everything from mainenance to food, etc, they are on equal footing in the Cuban Government group that is now the management entity. The grounds, buildings, etc are spruced up and kept up, the food it pretty good and supplies seem to be consistant but the staff are the same....GREAT!!!!!

The resort seemed to be a a very low occupancy level for the whole 2 weeks. We waited in line almost nowhere. If it was 40-60% at any one time for those 2 weeks I would be surprised. This level coupled with the fact that the resort is only 300 rooms makes this the best place in this area to go if you want peace and quiet.

The beach was in great shape and there is absolutely no disappointent in the seating arrangements on this end of the island! Even the late sleepers could go almost anywhere/anytime and get a couple of loungers.......Compare that to the Las Dunas that we visited during the week to have a look around....OMG!!!! wall to wall people in the resort and on the hot days, you couldn't get a seat on the beach we were told......GET ME OUTTA HERE!......

The west side of the beach is the AN/CO side and was used moderatly so it was very quiet! The crowd changes all the time and it is still the best ( and only!) place on the Cayo to get an all over tan. We saw a few people from other resorts from day to day and the beach drink service served them reguardless of the color of their band.....that is just how the SOL rolls....everyone gets great service!!!! Still a few militant textiles camped from time to time but they can just be miserable by themselves.....get a life!!!!

The wind was always present and on the hot days it is welcome! By the end of our second week, even the wind died down, the ocean got calmer and it was really enjoyable. There were even a couple of days the ocean was like glass! That almost never happens in the winter in Cayo Santa Maria!

So if you want a bargain place to get great service, good food and relaxation, then look no far that this place! How bad can the food be when the 1st nite we were there, they had lobster at the buffet!!!!

Shout out to the guys from Saskatoon and some of the Ottawa group! Had a blast!!!

PM me with any questions. This was our 3 trip to this resort.

The bad reviews are usually from people that turn into vacation princesses and princes......ignore them......

Greg and Judy
Cochrane, Alberta

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank AESO
Lati N, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your stay at Sol Cayo Santa María and for having chosen our hotel to spend your vacations.
In the name of the Hotel Management, we would like to express you how pleased we are to read that you had enjoyed your staying among us as your review shows us and we are very pleased for your positive lines referring our gastronomy , hotels beaches and the friendliness of our staff. This motivates us to keep working to make feel our valuable costumers a dream come true as we aim in Sol Cayo Santa María.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

i would for sure rate this a 4 star we always go last minute, and always go 3 to 3.5 so i know a 4 star this was the best ,food, service, and heard nothing but praise from the reps and staff about the manager of the resort, how he is so open to improving were ever he can, we loved it we go for the sun some R&R and we always read the reveiws,and the good one were definatly the true ones, thankyou sol cayo santa marie we will be back next year.

Room Tip: Cant say anything wrong, we had the best time ever, and will go back next year,the staff are the bes...
13  Thank sunlover173

Reviewed February 17, 2013

stayed at the sol jan 31 - feb 14 2 weeks of awsome sun food drinks& people.no doubt it is dated but the staff make up for it . never a problem to find a beach or pool lounge. food ok [i took my own hot sauce] lots of hot water for your shower. a/c works fine. bed a little hard .coming or going from vancouver is a long day.take a few books and relax.[there is a small library to recycle your books] would i go there again ..............yes reason for the title................met a canadian rock star there

4  Thank busgarage

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was my first trip to Cuba, and we stayed in the 26 block. Very near the nude beach as we has planned. The food was great, I avoid the seafood due to allergies, but there was never a day that I couldn't find something to eat. I really enjoyed the buffet food options. I fell in love with the Banana smoothies, crepes, and vegetarian meals.
There were many feral cats roaming the grounds.. Very friendly. One had only 3 legs due to an incident, but he was doing very well when we were there. I got a picture of him trying to scratch his chin... so cute, but sad.. He didn't seem to notice there was no foot scratching him.
The staff were amazing and very cooperative.
I was never at a loss for something to do , or see while at Sol Cayo Santa Maria. Piano bar, shows, food, beach and pool. We took a taxi into the town or Remedios to visit people, that my friend knew. We walked to the next resort and met some lovely people there as well. The nude beach was our main reason for choosing this resort. We took a double decker bus trip to the market and did some sight seeing and shopping. Only 1 peso per person for the bus or taxi to the market. We got the 1930 Ford taxi, for our trip back.
Just remember that Cuba is stuck in 1961, Everything can be fixed, but there is no way for the local people to purchase anything new. Repairs take time, as they don't have the new technology that we have. Be patient and stay calm. One of the staff will cut a coconut from a tree, and carve it with his machete so you may have a fresh drink of Coconut milk. YUMMM.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank CBare52

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had an incredible time at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria. We will be back and I highly recommend this resort. The ONLY reason I did not give it an "Excellent" rating was because of the fitness facility. We were quite disappointed, as this was a big selling feature on the resort that we chose. The website showed a picture that was not the actual gym, and there was no weights available. The gym was very small and only very old cardio equipment was available. I understand this won't be a big deal to a lot of people but it was to us. However, it forced us to take a break from our workouts and relax and just enjoy our vacation. The staff at this resort are AMAZING, and made our trip that much more enjoyable! I cannot thank them enough. Our first trip to Cuba will definitely be a memorable one! Thank you and Hola to Yoel, Liliet, Boris, Ernesto, Carlos, and our fave little blonde server in the buffet (I'm sorry that I cannot remember her name). My special thanks goes to my girl, Kirenia! We hope to see you all again very soon!
In regards to the reviews about the resort needing TLC, all I can say is pay close attention to the 3 cities you travel through to get to this resort. Cuba is still up and coming!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cindy F

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My mom, my sister, my niece and I just got back from this resort where we were all pleasantly surprised . We went expecting nothing too great but everything was great. This resort is older and does need some TLC and upgrading, the walkways could use more lights but our room was always clean, the bed was hard but they often are at resorts, the service at the bars was great and the food was awesome. That surprised me as I have read so much negativity on the food but I thoroughly enjoyed everything , Brito our waiter was amazing and went beyond belief in serving us and Marybelys makes the most amazing flambe bananas. I enjoyed the piano bar nightly and the shows were ok, The beach was amazing sometimes the waves were too big and there was wind for 2 days but we found a sheltered spot and managed to enjoy the sun. Overall I would say my time here was fabulous and I would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank cindybezaire

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband and i just got back from a week @ this resort. This was our second time to the island but our first @ this resort. Our plane ride down with Sunwing was great and on time. Our transfer from the airport to the resort was a little disturbing. Our bus driver was going too fast going through one of the towns that he was not able to stop and hit a dog. Being a dog lover and owner this really upset me, I almost threw up. They should be a little more careful!!! I guess they don't value their pets like we do. Anyway after and hour and a half we finally arrived @ our resort. Check in was fast and efficient. It was dark so we were driven to our room. Our room was in block 50 close to the beach and the main lobby. The room was clean and comfortable, my only set back was the large window in the bathroom shower. Our room faced the pathway so we had to keep the shade down everytime we showered or everyone would get a free show!!!! The beaches are gorgeous!!! We had one day that was cloudy but we took the bus to the Pueblla and shopped all day. The food was great, about the same that we've had @ the other resorts on the island. We couldn't complain, there was always good variety and if u wanted something cooked a different way they would do it. The best place for us was the Pizza Grill near the beach, we ate there every day @ lunch. Elsa our waitress was the best!!! I will miss her great service and smile and the amazing pizza and pasta. The Italian a la carte was good also, great selection and presentation of food. The only drawback was the piano bar, it was such a nice place to relax and unwind but it did not stay open past 10pm. The shows were great also especially the Romance show!!! But this vacation will be so memorable to us because we made friends with a couple who basically live just down the street from us. We had so much fun with them and we will continue our friendship here @ home with them. Thanks Mickey and Fran. Hope u read this review. We will be going back to Cayo Santa Maria, but i think we'll try another resort just to compare it to this one. All in all this resort gets a 3 1/2 stars from us.

11  Thank PandJ2013