“The hotel fails to meet 4* benchmarks”

Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
London
“The hotel fails to meet 4* benchmarks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

This is a budget hotel and for visitors from Canada & other short haul Countries is sold at very competitive prices and many visit for just 1 week and for them, as an all inclusive resort, may offer value for money. However for guests from Europe this Hotel is competing in the long haul luxury market and it falls short in this respect. The food is repetitive [meat indigestible], the rooms are not cleaned thoroughly, the plastic grids around the pool and the surrounding mortar are falling apart and should be replaced. This Hotels redeaming asset is the evening entertainment team who would not be out of place in London Theatreland.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank thecanveyislander
Lati N, Gerente at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in writing us a review of your stay in our Trip Advisor community. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our service we put a great interest in our clients comments as their perceptions are the most important to us as this is the only way to know what specific points we must focus our attention.
Our hotel is involved in a renovation process that will give us our structural conditions back. Please be sure that we work as hard as possible and we aim at delivering always the best possible experience to all of our dear guests. Nevertheless I would like to inform you that all the management team keep working with great ideas to apply at work to increase client´s satisfaction and our future clients may feel more comfortable.
We hope to see you very soon.

Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria. The hotel grounds are lovely and right on a gorgeous beach. The rooms are basic but fine. Bad points - the food, both myself and my partner suffered from upset stomachs the from about the 3rd day in and still have them. This seems to be a common thing in Santa Maria as other guests seemed to have the same problem. There is plenty of variety of food its just not very good quality. The other negative was the service from the staff at the bars especially the pool bar, they seem tp favour the canadians and you can be waiting a long time before getting served (tipping didnt seem to speed them up either)

Overall its a lovely resort for relaxation, great beaches and some fantatstic excursions just not great service and great food but we still had a fantastic holiday

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linzy093

Newbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Found the accomodation to be clean & the staff friendly (More friendly to the canadian travellers who bizarrely tip the waiters for pouring a drink they have already paid for ?)
Food was good although a little bit repetative by the second week and one day the hotel ran out of bottled water. We also noticed a woman, who we think her husband worked for the hotel or travel group, take all the freshest salad & fruit and put it into tupperware bowls. She did this every service !
Swimming pools are clean and plenty of loungers - The only down side to the pool area was the entertainment managers insistance on playing the same CD loudly every day three times a day !!! Very difficult to relax & read a book when "Follow the leader" is blaring out !
The piano bar is very good for sitting in the evening as it is air conditioned. You can also play a game in there called "who is nicking the drinks from behind the bar". Normally it was the maintenance man ! The rest of the evening entertainment was disappointing. We were expecting cuban style music and entertainment but it is mostly a dance troup who perform ballet everynight
Mistakes in the brouchere -
!) You cannot swim up to the pool bar - only around it
2) The gym is shut and used for storing the dance stage props
3) The spa and massage is shut
4) Never saw the scuba diving instructor for the free lesson

We would reccommend the trip to Havanna - You have to fly however it is a fantastic city to visit.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chopper1871
DuenasOmar, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Friend of Sol Cayo Santa María.

Thanks for your fantastic review, We hope to see you soon...
coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Well the apartment was about 3 star the beach was fab, The food was basic all inclusive but it did have a 24hr bar well thats the good bits
Now for the bad.... the pool area has pot holes all over i fell into one and broke my leg this meant I needed moving to ground floor which has 4 broken steps to get into appartment, The walkways are not clearly lit at night and many guests had falls as there were steps all around the resort the access to the diabled toilet was up a step and the staff were avoiding me instead of being helpfull although there was a couple of good staff in the beach bar and reception bar. there was also thefts on the site with things going constantly missing from the rooms. my advise is chose another hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CAJONES62

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Santa Maria hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

This was our first travel to Cuba, it was with the only purpose of rest and have fun ... on previous trips we stayed at the Melia chain ... Whereby we chose the hotel SOL CAYO SANTA MARIA ... we do not regret having done because rooms,facilities and overall service are first class ... beachfront, with facilities for children ... were some of our best vacations ... highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank jldg2
DuenasOmar, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear CHONSTAIN, Thanks for your review, I hope to see you soon!!!
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

I don't have much to say, except that it is a gorgeous place.

A vacation is what you make of it. There were some horrible, racist people riding with us on the bus home (staying at the other resorts thank goodness) and THEY were the bad part of the trip. I am ashamed that they represented Canadians in the beautiful country of Cuba.

The water was gorgeous - don't believe weathernetwork when it says it will storm every day. It didn't storm at all, so don't let that stop you from visiting in the "off season". The food is great, the staff is amazing, and sometimes you have to ask for water at the front desk but that's life.

Enjoy your stay here, it's very reasonably priced and the culture is not to be missed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank daisychubb
DuenasOmar, General Manager at Sol Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
Dear friend of Sol Cayo Santa María.

Thanks for your fantastic review, we are glad knoing that we have covered your expectations. We hope to see you soon:)
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2011

This was my third time to the Sol Cayo Santa Maria. My stay was from May 21 to June 4, 2011.

Room

It would not be Cuba if everything was perfect. I did get a top floor room as requested. The AC went out a couple of times but was also fixed each time. The safe stopped working and was never fixed after three requests. I locked my stuff in my luggage after that. The ceiling fan did not work and I did not bother to report it. The house keeping service was good. Bottled water was delivered a couple of times. Being my third visit I am well known to the staff so there was no problem locating water when I needed it. Check-in and check-out there was a bell boy to assist.

Reception

OK for basic requests but if you need something specific done refer to Guest Services. I don't know her name but she is wonderful to talk with.

I enjoyed all the food. Great fried fish at lunch one day in the buffet. As in previous times I found the carving station my main focus and then went for some sides. Again, since many of the staff know me, I had no problem with service, to the point where my table was made up with water, wine and sometimes flowers when I arrived for my meal.

La Picua, had the ribs one day, a little fatty, but good.

Pizza place, great as always, wonderful staff and atmosphere.

I did not have stomach problem until the last day. The sandwiches in the pool bar are great but I avoided the ones with meat, had only cheese and tomato, until the last night when there was ham in one by mistake, and I think that is what is causing my stomach problems.

Excursions

I took the Santa Clara/Remedios trip once again for something to do off the compound. Lunch was at La Concha this time, lots of food and great atmosphere.

Beach

The west end was not crowed at all. Never a problem getting a chair or shade. When I was there in December a lot of the beach was gone, but it has since been restored and is wide and enjoyable. We only had one calm ocean day, which was a bit of a drag, but the weather was great non-the-less.

Bars

What can I say. Nothing but great drink and top-notch service. Never a tip expected, but greatly appreciated. Again, knowing me, the staff were usually calling out my name miles before I actually hit the bar stool. Since I am learning Spanish they refused to speak English to me and were very helpful in slowing down, explaining, and helping me expand my grasp of the Spanish language.

Disco

I went to the disco one night. I guess I was not in the correct mood because I could not wait to get back to the hotel. Instead of spinning tunes and letting the crowd enjoy, it was run similar to another show at the hotel, loud people on the stage yelling things into a mic. Lots of under 25 drunk crazy kids. And the bus would not leave, it waited until closing so I was stuck outside for a while, I could have hopped a cab I guess, but why pay the extra when there is supposed to be a regular bus?

Staff

I would list all the great people I have come to know, but I would not want to leave anyone out by mistake if I can't remember or don't know there name.

Conclusion

Remember that you are in a different country. Things will be different. Maintain a certain level of alert in order to avoid potential negative incidents. Be kind to others and they will be kind to you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Ottman81