We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Beautiful resort with gorgeous beach. You feel welcomed wherever you walk. AMAZING staff all-round, from the housekeeping staff to the servers in the dining areas, to the guy who gives towels at the beach towel building! Grounds keepers absolutely know what they're doing as the grounds are wonderfully manicured. Everyone is SO genuinely friendly. May I suggest that we all dig a little deeper in our pockets when it comes time to tips?! On a website it was suggested 1 cuc (pesos) for waiters and 2-3 for maids. I disagree. Waiters should be given what you would expect to give in our wonderful country (Canada for us). They are so amazing and work so hard. We felt it a blessing to give 5-10 cuc when our waiter was good, and they all are! On occasion it was also great to give to someone who was mopping the floor or had just been cleaning the washrooms. THEY deserve it too. They were so shocked to be given a tip much deserved. We saw people gladly dropping cuc's at the bars when they are served drinks. I found it more rewarding to bless the ones that probably go unnoticed.
Every meal we had was tasty & excellent (although a "med-well steak" ended up more "rare" at Ranchon, but once redone wow! was it delicious...) We ate at 5 a la carte restaurants and all were amazing (although you get 3 in a week, you can go ask if there are any available tables on whichever night and if there are you can book a table.) DO NOT listen to those reviews that say Cubans can't cook. I was leary on whether I'd enjoy the food due to reviews on other sites, but was so excited to learn they are SO wrong! At least at Playa it was fantastic!!
My husband & I took a 6km walk on the beach from Playa Cayo to Melia Buena Vista one day (took 2 hrs!). We noticed that Playa's beach has this amazing fine white sand which as we walked further to each new resort seemed to gradually change to more grainy-with-tiny seashells in sand, to coarse sand, to rocky patches with sand to...yucky seaweed...you get the picture. We realized we had picked a most gorgeous resort after that. One thing I found though is that it's too bad that some visitors to this beautiful place are too inconsiderate in that they leave their cups everywhere, leaving already hard-working guys that much more work to do. And on that note a great tip I read from another review but didn't do it (my bad, haha) which would've been so smart is to bring an insulated cup (you know, those stainless coffee cups). That way you can get whatever you want to drink (and yes, some actually have those jumbo-cups) and enjoy your drink on the beach cold.
One thing we noted was that this resort has a bar right on the beach, with a snack shack right there as well. The Ranchon Restaurant is about 75 feet further inland, and washroom as well. This made the entire resort accessible throughout the beach area, which made it feel so much more patron-oriented and luxurious in a way!! And the guys they have interacting with patrons with activities were SO fun!!
Negatives? Yes, as wonderful as this place was there were a couple of things. Our room, with a beautiful view of the ocean from the 3rd floor with kingsize bed and balcony to sit out on, had a couple of issues needing to be dealt with...soon! On the 2nd day being there I went to turn on the light in the bathroom above the sink, which I finally found was with a string pullcord set behind the mirror at the bottom of the light directly behind the faucet. This string broke. When I grabbed onto that now dangling shorter string...Holy Zapper, Batman! I thought I had jabbed my finger into a sharp knife-blade, getting a good shock up my index finger. Don't know what would have happened had my hand been wet! My brave hero husband came and turned it off for me. It would also have been nice to have double sinks, but we managed. Our phone didn't work in the room and so we couldn't call for front desk. (And I will admit we didn't bother saying anything about this light issue until 2 days before we left, so in all fairness to them...but I DO hope it is fixed by now as we mentioned it 2 times after). And the phone was finally working about 2 hrs before we were set to leave.
Check out is noon, but you can put your luggage in a holding room (with about 100 other pieces of luggage from another province) OR in the hall in the lobby where all visitors are. Wasn't too sure I liked that idea, but it's either that or drag your stuff around for the rest of the day (for us which was 8:30pm). Might have made for a funky Canadian kayak of sorts bringing my suitcase to the ocean haha.
For first timers, like myself, they provide: shampoo, body wash, soap bar, iron and ironing board and blowdryer. Daily a guy comes to fill your fridge (excellent bottled water in Cuba!).
Would I suggest this resort to you? Absolutely!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing ocean...breathtaking! We were in Bldg 12 corner suite (room 1276) and had fantastic...
11  Thank LynneFritz
Mareyi G, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear guest:
Thank you for choosing Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria for your recent stay in Cayo Santa Maria.
Your fantastic review is really appreciate for all our team.
We hope to see you next time. Our doors are open to you.
Thanks again, and we hope you'll choose Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria the next time you're in Cayo Santa Maria.

Ms. Mareyi Gómez Montano. Customer Service Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,666)

Reviewed February 3, 2014

10th Cuban vacation. This was our third time to Santa Maria. We stayed previously at Melia Las Dunas and EnSenachos.
After a quick check in, we were met by Rosangel, a customer service rep. who I had previously spoken to via e mail. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary, and wanted it to be a special vacation. She had pre booked 3 a la carte meals for us, arranged for a bottle of wine in our room, and granted us our requests for king sized bed, in a quiet room which was close to the beach.
Food was all good, but especially at the Panda Asian a la carte, with the most amazing server Janyse. We returned for a second visit on our last night.
We enjoyed our oceanview breakfasts at the Ranchon with omlettes and Spanish lessons by a very sweet lady.
At the snackbar, where it was so nice to have 24 hour service, Yaraslabia made it so much fun with her great sense of humor.
Rooms are spectacular and ours was kept spotless by 2 young men. We were on the 3rd floor, bungalow 6.
Our bed and pillows were surprisingly comfortable.
It was nice to stay at a Cuban managed resort where all staff seemed happy and so willing to please.(we were contacted twice during our stay to make sure that everything was to our satisfaction)

This is the first time that we will be returning to the same resort. Best beach anywhere!
Cathy and D'Arcy Lesk (Ottawa)

8  Thank dakat

Dear guest:
Greetings from Playa Cayo Santa Maria.
We want to thank you for your nice review. Is the best way to say "Thank you" for our staff and is so grateful to know that you spent a great vacations here. It is our reason to work and your satisafction matters a lot to us.
Come back in the future, we are ready to receive you again.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel is a perfect place to relax and take it easy. I was there with my boyfriend on January 2014, and we had a fantastic time. This is a long review, which I hope would help future travelers to make the most of their vacation.

BEACH: Hands down, best beach I've been to. The water is light blue, shallow, clean and clear. It is a pleasure to swim in the ocean on sunny days, and fun to jump with the waves on windy days. There are no motorized water vehicles for rent, and therefore, neither noise nor oil from seadoos or boats.
The visibility underwater is ridiculously good, better than in a pool. On a clear day, you can see an object that is 5 meters away from you without a problem. There's nothing to see underwater near the hotel, but I hear there is a coral reef further away to the west. Still, if you stand in the water, small curious fish will swim nearby.
The sand is great to walk on. It is white, silky and warm, and there are no obstacles on the beach to prevent you from walking kilometers upon kilometers. I did get bitten 9 times, over the course of a week, by sand fleas. Nevertheless, I was the only one who got bitten at all, and 9 bites are nothing to worry about.

GROUNDS AND UPKEEP: Gorgeous! This is a beautifully modern hotel. The grounds are well maintained. Walking around you pass trees, flowers, pools, and fountains.They did an excellent job in designing the hotel and its grounds.

ATTRACTIONS: Not much to do in this area. I know there are tours to the nearby cities: Santa Clara, Caibarien and Remedios, as well as options to swim with dolphins. Usually these tours cost $70 per person. We did not go on any tours, instead we rented a car ( a Peugeot with automatic transmission) for $85 and drove to Santa Clara and Caibarien. It was a great way to experience Cuba on our own schedule. Also, it was more affordable than a tour (we spent $25 on fuel and $4 on the causeway tollbooth). They don't have any useful maps of the area in the hotel, so do learn the way prior with google maps, or even make a print. If you are planning to dine in Caibarien, restaurant En Familia is very charming and delicious.

SPA: We were planning to go there on a rainy day. It costs $12 to use their sauna and Jacuzzi facilities. However, we didn't have any rainy days :) , so I cannot comment on the facilities.

SAFETY: There is a safe in the hotel room.
There is only one road, the causeway, coming into the island. When you get into the island , there is one security booth manned by police or soldiers and another toll booth which collects $2 per car (so you'll need $4 to go out and back in). We felt very safe on the island. We did keep our eyes open at Santa Clara, though. A few people there rushed to help us find a parking spot or guard our car, without being asked, and naturally we had to give them a small token of appreciation. We kept our guard around those overly-helpful people and did not volunteer much information about ourselves, because they looked like they were waiting for tourists to come by. I don't believe tourists will be harmed in Santa Clara, but I think being scammed is not far-fetched. The Cubans are very friendly, but do use your wits when someone specifically targets you. With that being said, our experience was smooth and enjoyable.

HANGOUT SPOTS: Most people hang out at the lobby bar in the evenings. They do make the best drinks and the best cappuccinos at this bar. However, it does get crowded over there. We personally had the best time at the cigar bar. We spent our evenings drinking whiskey, smoking cigars and talking to some wonderful people we met over there. A lot of people open the door to this bar, see that it is rather empty, and continue on. That's what made it so great. It allowed us to chill with friends and have the whole place to ourselves. At 10:30PM the place turns into a disco, and that's when it gets busy. They play a mix of top 40's and salsa music.
As a beer drinker, I also liked the beer garden by the main pool. I found it was a nice place to relax after 6 hours on the beach. Just one or two Cuban beers were usually being offered (Bucaneros, Crystal or Mayabe).

DRINKS: Very nice! Excellent cappuccinos at the lobby bar. Nice selection of vodkas and whiskeys (Glenlivet, Chivas). Unlike some hotels in Mexico,they serve genuine drinks and not imported bottles filled with domestic liquors. I found most of their cocktails too sweet, so I asked them to go easy on the sugar.

Electricity: We had no problems charging our devices, most of which have an input ranging from 100-240V. The hotel has sockets that fit our Canadian plugs. Also there is a 110V shaver-only outlet in the bathroom. Do read the information on your chargers before you bring them. I don't think you will have a problem using the 110V outlet for charging devices, but I am not sure how it would handle a more powerful appliance like a hot iron.
We had one power outage that lasted half an hour in the hotel during the evening . We did not mind it because it was a pleasant experience to sit in the cigar bar with candles. But, I guess under different circumstances, it would have been an inconvenience.

TIPS: Bring what you need. Things are not so easy to get in Cuba. Make sure you bring sun lotion , and ladies, bring tampons. Also, bring your own travel mug. It will keep your drink cool at the beach, and it will reduce the environmental footprint of the numerous plastic cups used in the resort. I did not see any mugs being sold at the store.

FOOD: The weak point of the resort. I did not go hungry but it was not great food. As others suggested, more fruit and fresh vegetables would be great, especially in the snack bar. Although it is not on the menu, the snack bar makes omelettes in the morning. My favorite food was at the Italian a-la-carte restaurant.

SERVICE: Never had any problems getting what we needed. Their employees are professional, hard working and courteous.

IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS: Reusable plastic cups in the beach and pools. They will hold more drink and eliminate all the wasteful plastic cups.
Ladies washrooms at snack bar were in bad shape. The first stall was out of order, the second had no toilet seat, the lock in the third one did not work and last and only operational stall usually ran out of toilet paper. These issues remained unfixed for a whole week.

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR: People who like having a city nearby and adrenaline junkies.

OTHER:
* I spotted no mosquitoes at all, which was a blessing. We had a cockroach in our room. This is natural in tropical climates and not a big deal.
* Unlike my previous trip to Santa Maria, there was no musty odor in the room on the first floor.
* This review may have been less glowing if we didn't have 4 straight days of excellent weather

Overall we had an excellent stay, and if you are planning to go to Playa Cayo Santa Maria in the future you are in for a treat :)

11  Thank SillyMidget

Dear guest:
If you had an excellent stay with us, please, don´t hesitate to plan your next stay at Playa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel. We are missing you already and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Good value for the money. Large resort, but very well laid out in realation to proximity to the pools, ocean, a-la-cartes and buffet. We upgraded our room to Oceanfront which was awesome.
Aracey Horta should be commende for her Service, far and above what would be expected from my wife and I. The beach is not fantastic as th Melia Las Dunas is next door, but the latout is more preferable as every thin is in a 5 minute walk. The beach grill has good food, but the buffet and their fresh grilled chicken, beef and pork is out of this world. a-la-cartes are very good, least favourite is the Oriental, best is the romantico. Jacuzzi hot tub in the room was excellent. We bought wine and had no problem getting wine glasses and opener and ice from the helpul staff, which led to the ambiance of the hotel. would definately go back.

Room Tip: get the upgrade buildings 7 and 15.
3  Thank stevebullock

Dear guest:
We are always eager to hear what you liked and how we can improve.

Wonderful Stay at Playa Cayo Santa Maria

First time in Cuba, we traveled from Jan 15th to Jan 29th 2014.
Arrived at airport on time, we checked in on the bus, which made things really fast when we arrived at the hotel.
We sent an email to ask for building 15 or 7, to be on the 3 rd floor and a king size bed, our e-mail was answered that they would try to do their best. When we arrived we did not get it .. it happens but our initial room situation was soon rearranged without any problems.

Front Desk : Thank you Alisly for your very helpful service.

Room:
We went to the lobby and upgraded ($$$$) to a suite in building 14 with whirl pool bath ,double balcony and 2 bathrooms, living and dining room, ocean view, very quiet and nice which was what we were looking for. Farther from the main lobby but very close to the beach. If you are interested in being in a quiet building than this is it. There was an added expense but we were very satisfied with the price.

Maid Service : Isis and Duniel were excellent at taking care of our room , thank you so much for the towel decorations on the bed and really good service ... always smiling... always so eager to satisfy.

The Lobby Bar
Again Let me tell you about Our Friend Noslen and the other barmen on his team , this guy is a precious gem , so nice and courteous. Again Above and Beyond. Thank-you sooo much for taking care of us .....

Food:
We were a little bit scare about the food ...let me tell you it was wonderful ... My boyfriend (not a fussy eater) was happy with the food, (not expecting much because I am a fussy eater) I ate well, with a nice variety of choices was very happy and quite surprised after all the negative reviews we read about food in Cuba.

The Buffet:
Fantastic with plenty of choices and all the grilles were excellent - where you could get everything you wanted (beef, pork, chicken, lamb, fish, etc...) desserts were not bad , you could also get banana flambees .

A la Carte Restaurants:
Just went once at the Seafood Restaurant ( in Ranchon ). Lobster was a little tough, service was extremely quick , almost felt a little rushed. Fellow travelers went on another nite and enjoyed their food very much. I guess its up and down depending on the cook. We did however have shrimp a few times at lunch from the Ranchon which we enjoyed very much with excellent service from Francys.
Never went back to a la Carte since buffet was so good!!!

Then there was the Seafood Grill:
First of All : Thank you so much Arianna and Luiz Mario and the Grill Team( forgot their names , so sorry). Their happy and helpful service was wonderful to be around. So professional and will go out of they're way to please you, going above and beyond...Food was Amazing and the SERVICE...WOW. If we had a Cuban Restaurant in Montreal we would hire them right away.

The 24hrs Snack Bar :

Food was good for a snack bar ...( chicken fingers ) .Thanks to Edouardo our waiter, who also learned what we liked and was always quick to take care of us. What a sweet heart .

The Ranchon near the beach

Again the food was awesome thanks to Lazaro the grill cook.Such a nice and devoted man who speaks 4 languages.Not to forget Francys - our waiter - he also took such attentive care of us remembering our likes and habits... Wow !!
Thanks to everyone at Ranchon for the super great service .....

and then
The Beach and Bar at Beach :

WOW !! WOW !!
Thank you Lorem for taking care of us at the beach. Lorem is one of the Beach Attendants, their job is too find place for Tourist on the beach - they bring you chairs, tuck in your towels, and prepare a space for you to relax in. They work their BUTTS OFF to please us (the tourists) but they work on hopes for tips without ever asking. Be generous to those who take care of you, they deserve it.

Personal Note to Fellow Travelers :

CLEAN and PICK up your Garbage before leaving the Beaches
We look like Spoiled , Inconsiderate , Pigs !!!
My wife and I were so discouraged of all the garbage left on the beach at the end of the day. If we want to keep going away to these beautiful islands all over the world we need to respect our planet and not expect someone else to do it !!!! Its beyond our understanding ...

The only Negative Point was the Nightly Entertainment - Quite lacking in the Entertainment department . Some shows were okay but usually very short. We would have loved to see more Cuban Entertainment. We saw some Cuban Dancing which was very good but the production was very amateur. Although we saw the Entertainment Staff rehearsing at night sometimes till early in the morning. Their willingness to continue to try to do better is a positive step in the right direction

Excursion:
We did the Catamaran
really cool , had a wonderful day, a little bit cold and windy but who can control the weather.

we also did the Safari
Super fun day .... our tour guide was so nice and funny and instructive ...Our only sad point was that we had brought alot of clothes and stuff to give away in Cuba and this day would have been the perfect day for that because on your way back you go through alot of smaller towns that would and could have benefited from these things. But we were not told about this , and by the time we found out it was too late. If you do go on this excursion and are bringing Humanitarian things great time to give.

Humanitarian Suit Case ;

If you have intentions of bringing Stuff to give away most airlines allow a Humanitarian Suitcase with no charge to you and no weight removed from your baggage weight. Discuss with your travel agent and confirm with airline they need to send you a letter of proof.

I would have to say Excellent Overall Vacation and We have never been treated so well by so many people, we have made new friends which we will definitely see again soon.

We would like to add a few hopefully helpful points,
All Inclusive does not mean that you can not show appreciation for the people who care that your trip is a Great one.
The Gardeners, Beach Attendants , the staff that clean the floors and washrooms are often forgotten in the tip department and are very surprised and thankful when showing them our appreciation.
The guys who fill up your room fridge are also easily forgotten, you can leave them a tip in the fridge and they know that that is for them.

Thanks Again To Everyone, Manon and Stephane, Montreal, Quebec.

10  Thank Stephane B
Mareyi G, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Dear guest:
It is nice to know that your first stay in Cuba was in Playa Cayo Santa Maria Hotel and you spent a wonderful 2 weeks.
Our resort is always ready to receive you and we hope to see soon. The second time gonna be better.

Ms. Mareyi Gómez Montano. Customer Service Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was a great hotel. It was beautiful and clean. The service was great. The food at the Buffet and the Ranchon was ok but the Longine Restaurant, one of the a la carte restaurants was excellent.The food and the service was great. We ate there three nights in a row. The maître' d (I can't remember her name) was warm and welcoming as were all the staff. One of the server, Robin and his girlfriend helped us get a table the next night. The drive was an hour and half from the airport.

Room Tip: ask for ocean front room ask for the wine list
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank skyblueandwhite

Dear guest:
Our Management Team & staff gonna be happy to receive you next time.

Ms. Mareyi Gómez Montano. Customer Service Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This was at least my 35th trip to Cuba, so I do know my way around the island!!

Playa delivered everything I was looking for in every way. Room were great, well appointed and very well kept. Light bulb issue was taken care of within a short period of time after reported.

Food was very very good, and the a la cartes amazing. Favourites were Red Panda, and the seafood, but the others were still great.

Entertainment was very enjoyable. The staff from the friendly gardeners, to the cleaning staff, all had a smile for you and were very helpful. Double Decker bus to get to the markets was a great way of seeing the cay and go shopping!!

I will be going there again for sure.

Jan 20 to 27 saw the weather not as warm and sunny as it is usually, but certainly warmer than central Ontario!!

Toni

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank TravellerT4

Dear guest:
Thank you for your great review.
The management and the staff of Playa Cayo Santa Maria are at your total disposal at anytime you need us.Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed.
Hoping to see you next year,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
#15 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#9 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!