“Excellent vacation spot!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed here from Oct 27-Nov 3, Villa 6, 2nd floor. Great view of the ocean, close to the main pool and beach. Rooms were clean, villas well kept, grounds green and flowery and amazing, helps that they just ended their rainy season!
Resort has various pools, some shallow, some deeper, all beautiful, crystal clear water. Swim up bar with tons of entertainment, a quick hello to Pascal, the bartender, very friendly and accommodating with the constant supply of drinks. Ask for the Pascal special!
Resort also has a beer garden, beer is always cold and they offer frosted beer mugs. Very friendly staff here and they love to talk sports!
An ice cream bar, nice for those extra hot days.
Ranching Playa restaurant down by the beach has the best lunch offerings, from a small buffet to a grill with any kind of meat you could ask for, to a pizza oven where you can personalize your pizza. They even shape your pizza into a heart shape for us ladies! You can also order off the menu here. Once again, friendliest, helpful staff.
Snack bar by the main pool has an excellent selection of food, from paninis, to chicken fingers and French fries, hotdogs & hamburgers. A quick and tasty choice when you've had enough of the buffets. There is even a panini bar down at the beach!
Buffets, a la cartes, all excellent. We had dinner at the International, Chinese & Italian while there, all very good meals.
As for the beach...it's Cuba, if you don't enjoy the beach, there is something wrong with you. Last couple days of our stay brought in the jellyfish so we stayed out of the water but it was still interesting to see, and made us enjoy the pools that much more.
We were lucky to enjoy the Havana by plane excursion while in Cuba. Very nice trip, a bit long with the wait for the planes, but understandable. A great way to see the culture in Cuba and to help one understand the Cuban lifestyle. Kudos to our tour guide Georgette, wonderful lady, very knowledgeable. If you do this tour bring a few small things for all the kids you see, like pencils and school supplies. And of course some pesos because there is a lot of street entertainers.

All in all, excellent trip, only one small complaint- due to the hurricanes the beach has a rocky slope to get down to the water but once you are down there the beach itself is still excellent. And they have guys that will get your chairs for you, brush them off and even lay your towel down so it won't blow away, and another to get you beverages, you don't have to lift a finger!
Would definitely recommend and return to this hotel.

4  Thank 612MichT
Write a ReviewReviews (6,671)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have being going to Cuba for the last six years and we just returned yesterday ,but I was so amazed at the resort I had to write something .Everything at this resort was either very good or excellent from the travelers to the employees at this resort everyone was friendly I would recommend this resort and one day return.

3  Thank mike b
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I am not even going to have to write a review, from the first hola to the last adios, EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT. The food exceeded expectations. Halloween night was so much fun! Zombies carried me into the main dining room singing Happy Birthday, now how many times does that happen on your 55th birthday!!! The rose delivered to my door with a nice note from management on my birthday was a really,really nice touch. Sandra at the piano lobby bar was one of my favourite memories, SHE IS AMAZING. Thank you to management and staff for making this one of the most memorable birthdays ever. Stayed oct. 27 to nov. 3rd...oh yeah, one more thing do not let the ride from the airport to the hotel discourage you, the buses all have tour guides, which makes for a very interesting ride,

4  Thank corinnerichardet
Reviewed October 30, 2013

went to Playa Cayo Santa Maria hotel from oct 19th-26th with my 5 year son
- first off its about an 1 1/2 drive from the airport to the hotel...but was nice to go through a few towns which the tour guide talked about the history of the town..which made the drive better....we were in building 6..which was close to the beach...small resort so walking around was easy to lobby/buffet/beach...beach was beautiful but beware there are jelly fish swimmining around,,got bit as well as my son,,both of us bit behind the kneecap..sting lasts 15 minutes was ok...but as I love swimming in the ocean,,not sure if would return as always has to be on the lookout for jellyfish,,not sure if it was just time of the year...so in the future would check up on that..food was good especially the bar food near the main pool,,,santa maria burger was great...staff very friendly.....tip....would recommend to bring bubba thermos as drin cups served were very small,,,,there is one complaint I do have....left my son at the kids club for a bit each day....and once in awhile a member of the entertainment team was there....so first day...she asked if I can get her a cappachino...so I did..was ok...2nd day if I can get 8 cones of icecream...3 rd day...if I can get 4 hamburgers....next day if I can get a cappachino for them,,that was ok,,,cappachino was ok,,but the rest..no way...felt kind of pressured...as when I was checking up on my son,,they would ask....also noticed a cleaning crew carrying a big bubba keg was asking patrons to get a full beer for him,,also asked me and I said I cant.....
overall was great for my son..as he enjoyed it...would I go back...yes

Room Tip: was in villa 6 which was a good area which was quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank dcjcdc
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your comment, always helps us to improve our service. Unfortunately we did not know of its inconvenience, I´m really sorry. We will take the actions for avoiding this kind of behaviors. If you return to the hotel, please feel free to contact us, we will attend personally. Thank you very much and best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Having been to the Playa Cayp Santa Maria three times in the past year and a half, I knew that I was going to have an amazing trip. The fourth trip Oct 19-26th did not disappoint. I often tell my friends and family that when I return to this resort I feel like I am returning "home". It's wonderful to always be greeted by everyone from the gardening staff, pool bar, 24 hr bar and the lobby with a huge smile and a "hola".
I have brought 8 different people to this resort, and everyone is always in awe of the wonderful staff attention, the beautiful beaches and the terrific selection of food every day from the a la cartes to the buffet selection.
I can assure each and every one of you, you will not be disappointed with a single thing at this resort, it is top notch in my books and I will certainly be returning again, to my Cuban family at the PCSM.
A huge thank you and shout out to Pasqual at the pool bar, Juan Miguel in the lobby, the chamberboys in block 7 and to Mareyi in customer service. You all made our recent trip a memorable one!!
See you all again soon.

Room Tip: Block 7 or 15 are both close to the beach, main pools and 24 hour bar/restaurant, although even the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Leslie M
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travelers in TripAdvisor. We will be waiting for your information as you plan for your next holidays.
Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at the Playa from 6 - 20th October, we were allocated a room on third floor of Block 7 and we were happy with this room, it overlooked one of the pools, snack bar and to the right you could see the sea, all in all a good well kept room. We did the day trip to Havanna which was excellent and we would definitely recommend it, we seen so much and our guide was fantastic. We also did the speed boat trip in which you were also allocated some snorkelling time, also excellent. We visited the Estrella Market which we also enjoyed, The hotel itself is good but the service can vary from being very good to extremely poor! The lobby bar being the worst service we have ever had during any holiday, the waiters/waitresses did not seem keen to do their job and the bar staff were miserable and rude most of the time. The beer garden had the best staff, always greeted with a smile and a friendly chat, the snack bar food was ok, and again the helpfulness of the staff varied on a day to day to basis, sometimes very good and other times poor. The Al a Carte restaurants service was always good although the food sometimes wasnt the best. The buffet restaurant had a wide choice of food with a quite a few stations for making up yr own pasta/sauce, risotto, pizza and having yr choice of meat griddled. You did have to queue to book into Al a Carte restaurants, but in general didnt take too long really. I would recommend that some staff have further customer satisfaction training and smile a bit more often. Both myself and my partner had upset stomachs during the last week which spoilt it a little bit but all in all enjoyed our stay at the Playa but we wouldnt return.

2  Thank Wanderers19

Dear guest, thank you very much for your comment. We have analyzed their observations and I am really sorry for the inconvenience. We have always stood out as a landmark hotel in the region and will continue to work hard to maintain the level of excellence. Your comments help us reflect and realize our mistakes Thank you very much and best regards. Best regards, Jorge Calderin, Director

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed from Oct 6-20th. Overall a great experience! The food was very good with a large variety everyday. The room was spacious and always kept very clean. Service was always very quick whether at the pool bar, snack bar, buffet or lobby. (it was low season). Cant say enough about the staff at this resort. Everyone was so friendly and always went out of their way to make sure you were having a good time. The entertainment staff are in the lobby in the evening and mingling with the quests. Activities are scheduled throughout the day with a nightly show.
The bellboy service was amazing!! I broke my foot three days before leaving on this holiday and was in a cast. The bellboys picked me up and drove me anywhere I wanted to go, helped me get on and off the golf cart and always did so with a smile! Cant say enough positive about these guys. As in previous reviews if you have mobility issues the beach may not be an option. I did want to visit the ocean at least once during my holiday and the between the bellboys, beach staff and my girlfriend I was able to visit the beach but it would not have been an option without assistance. Hopefully the resort builds stairs down to the beach. There are 8 pools on this resort so easy to find a place to hang out and cool off. Our favorite was the main pool with the pool bar. The bartender Pascual was a lot of fun, friendly and makes great drinks. Can't wait to return! I have been to Cuba many times and this was one of my favorite resorts.

Room Tip: Building 7 is a great building. It is central to everything!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Wanda H
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your comment. We are motivated to be a most attractive hotel in the area and we will work to raise the level of excellence. During your next visit may consider new changes we are making in order to improve our service. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
#15 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#9 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!