“Great relaxing holiday!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria

Stayed here 2-16 June

This was the most relaxing holiday I have had. Everything was so laid back and calm (just what I went away for!)
You can always get a drink or food no matter what time it is! You don't even have to rush around in a morning to make breakfast as you can always go to the snack bar for a tasty omelette and coffee. You also didn't need to be up at 6am to rush and put a towel on a lounger by the pool as there were always plenty to choose from.(This may have been due to the time we went to the resort.)
The staff at this hotel were fantastic, they look after your every need and are very pleasant and polite, and work extremely hard around the clock to ensure you have a good customer experience.
The pools are great and the beach is absolutely gorgeous!
There is plenty of food to choose from at the buffets and the A La Carts were pretty good too, the Italian was superb (we went twice we enjoyed it that much!) the snack bars are also really good!

Overall I really enjoyed my holiday here nice and relaxing. If you want to partake in activities then you can, if you don't then you can go relax at another pool. The catamaran excursion was brill too! You can make this holiday what you want it to be!

Something for everyone.
Hope to visit again :)

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Sallan90
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest, we are very pleased to read this positive review you have written, especially to our staff. We are glad to give our best service. Thank you very much and I hope you are back shortly. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Write a ReviewReviews (6,763)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is amazing my husband and I stayed there between 2nd and 16 th June we were on the top floor in bungalow 7 room 773 which had a lovely view of the ocean and was very quiet, the rooms are very nice and kept immaculately clean by the maids who clean and change the bed linen every day. The buffet restaurant had a good choice of food and the 4 a la carte restaurants are very good our favourite was the Italian.
The pool areas are beautiful with choice of activity or relaxing pools and plenty of sunbeds or if you prefer the beach this is just a stone throw away and is superb with White sand and crystal clear water there is a beach restaurant were you can eat buffet style or fresh from a menu. There is also a very good 24hr snack bar were you can also order fresh cooked food, customer service is very good throughout the complex and guest relations are excellent just see them if you need anything.we were looked after exceptionally well and on returning to our rooms there was always notes or poems from our maids and little gifts from guest relations like flowers, fancy cakes, chocs and fruit. A couple of nights before we left we were invited to a meal with the managers and we were treat to a superb meal and entertained with music and singing, I even joined in with the dancing!!. I can honestly say this has been an amazing holiday in a beautiful hotel and thank Jorge and his management team and staff for making this possible.
We look forward to holidaying with you again in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Scottx2

Dear guest, your words are very beautiful and encouraging. It has been a great pleasure for us to have customers like you in our hotel; this is your second home. On behalf of our team thank you very much and do not forget you are always welcome. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We are just back form a weeks all inclusive and I must say we all had a wonderful time. The hotel rooms were immaculate and the grounds were beautiful too. This is a new hotel so in a couple of years the grounds will look even better.
The food was great, there is so much choice we never went without and with a 6 yr old and a 9yr old that was a worry for me.
The pool areas were beautiful too with plenty of loungers to go round, that being said we were there in the "off season" but I cant imagine there would not be enough to go round.
The staff were friendly and most would go out of there way to help you.
We had a fantastic time and would definitely recommend this hotel for families.

Room Tip: We were in bungalow 15 which is so close to everything so I would recommend that once and on the sec...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Julz73_13

Dear Guest, it was a pleasure for us you have been here in our Hotel. Your review in this popular forum fills us with pride and encourages continuing working full, trying to satisfy our clients. Thank you very much. Best regards, Jorge Calderín

Reviewed June 18, 2013

With the awful weather in Montreal and the price for a week all inclusive at 550$ it seemed quite a good option for me an my friend.

We were lucky enough to get into a small 8 passenger van as I guess there was not enough places in the big buses so we were at the hotel first and did not had to queue for checking in and got our room pretty quickly. Something I found sometime funny is that they always ask extras for room with better views, which is understandable when your occupancy is high but when your resort is at 25% capacity, you may want to make sure that the people you have like their stay and it does not cost them anything to do so, or to offer...just a thought. We were in Bungalow #1 on the second floor with a pool view and a small tiny glimpse at the ocean. The 2 smaller version of double beds were some of the worst I have slept on, reminded me of some awful night in youth hostel in Europe. Every morning my body and my friends' one were in pain and could not sleep all night trough waking up to change position, seriously. We thought about changing room but talked to several other people and it was the same for them too. So we slept in most of the morning, but no do not disturb sign on the door, every single day they woke us up and could come back 3 times inside an hour to see if we were still in, and of course we were... the whole week they have not giving us any more soap or shampoo so had to look around to find a staff who could provide us with some and if your picky, bring some towel as I have not seen any one without machine stains on.

The beach and the water was amazing, just a jelly fish problem the two first days we were there...and not too hard to find a place in the shadow as I said the resort was pretty empty. There are also so many pools on the resort, some calmer, some with animation, the one with the bar of course... really really nice.

It is not the most animated place I have been too, but that is what we wanted, koodos to the animation teams, the shows were really good and the some of the dancers like professional standards, really impressed. I must have heard YMCA and the Roof is on fire like 20 times during the stay though...

The food was ok to me, my expectations were not really high...the worst thing for me was the quality of their fruit, the water melon and the melon were disgusting and they serve canned fruit for the rest which is a bit weird, but again, its Cuba.

Maybe we were not lucky with the staff but I did not find the general service to be that good, we could wait forever for a drink at lunch or dinner and most of the time it's because they had forgotten.

The mosquitos were also a big problem, so bring some mosquito repellant and don't wash at all... I must have had 25 bites at one point and couldnt be bothered staying in the lobby after dinner for a drink as I was being eaten alive!! so we were going back to the room every night quite early...to our uncomfortable beds!

So all in all, it was worth what I paid for, but would have been disappointed if I had paid more.

Room Tip: Ask for a comfortable bed!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank doumdoum6
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for leaving your comment on this website. We have reviewed your comments and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. We are a team that works much the recommendations of our customers and make assured that your opinion will be taken into account. We invite you as soon as you can to return to the hotel and contact us personally; I am convinced that your vacation will be unforgettable. Thank you very much and best regards, Jorge Calderín

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Loved it! Will go back for sure, everything was perfect for a relaxing family vacation, was there with my huband and our 7 yrs old daughter. The entertainment staff is great, rooms are very nice and clean. Resort is very safe and clean. Just finished reading a negative comment about this resort, I never felt presured to tip anyone, I even offered a tip to one of the girl of the entertainement staff because she did braids in my daughter's hair, she refused it !!! the staff at the Italian restaurant were very friendly. For shopping, there is a great Market (Pueblo) , 5 minutes away by bus from the resort they have amazing hand made crafts, much more than just Cigars !

Room Tip: Building 7 and 15
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Francine_B155004

Dear Guest, we are very pleased you have passed an enjoyable stay with us and give you our best service. Thank you very much for your comments. I hope you have the opportunity to return soon. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just back(June 8-15) from a great week at Hotel Playa Santa Maria.We had a great time-great weather/good food-something there for everyone's taste-my husband has Crohn's disease and he had no problem with the food/and the staff -every staff member we encountered from the receptionist at the desk to the gardeners working in unbearable heat-were exceptional/so kind and courtious and helpful in every way.Our room was lovely-third floor with a beach view in bungalow 1-clean as a pin and our maid service was super-if you needed any extras(soap,toilet paper,etc.) they were only too happy to get it for you.The beach was spectacular.Would recommend this resort to everyone.Only problem we had was the mosquitoes-make sure to bring fly oil if you are there in June-it may or may not work-but we were there when the flys were in season(none around in the spring).We would like to thank the staff at this resort for making our last minute getaway soo special.We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Third floors nice balcony/cooler breeze/nice views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Dorothy B
Jorge C, Director General at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest, we are pleased to read a positive view of our hotel and service. On behalf of all the staff, thank you very much and we wish you be back soon. Greetings, Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed June 17, 2013

For my wife and me, our overall experience with this beautiful resort is: Excellent.

For us, this is the fourth time in Cuba and first time on this Island.
As experienced travelers, we are happy to say this: If you want to enjoy your vacation, go to the Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria.
We’ve spent two weeks, June 1- 15/2013, at this resort, and we are very satisfied! No complains!
This resort is ideal for couples and families, quiet and safe.

Rooms are clean and big enough. The food is fresh, clean and very tasty. Besides buffet, you can choose from four different a la cart restaurants. On the beach, you will feel like in paradise.
If you like to have your coffee, please go to the lobby. In the afternoon, you will enjoy live music.
Everywhere, service is very good. Each and every employee is so friendly and very professional. Everyone wants to help you.
We are very glad to learn that this hotel is the only one on Santa Maria Island, owned by Cuban Government.
We can say that management at this hotel is taking care of everything. They know how to do their job. Keep up with your excellent performance!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank Jahiel K

Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel. We are very glad to have been able to offer a good holiday. Your comments are important for us to continue improving our beautiful hotel and always make sure to provide the best service and products that our customers require. On behalf of all the staff, thank you very much and we wish you be back soon. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
Grand Memories Santa Maria
#15 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
Starfish Cayo Santa Maria
#7 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#10 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!