“Beautiful Hotel. Excellent Value”

Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just got back from Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria ( Dec 21 ) This was our second trip to Cuba. We loved the facilities and the grounds. Pools are lovely however we are beach bums and spent most of out time there. The beach is excellent. I can't imagine how you would be able to find a better one anywhere. The food was typical for Cuba not great but acceptable( we managed to gain several pounds during our stay ) The service was great. The Cuban people are very friendly and helpful. We flew west jet and found Joel (rep ) very helpful. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.
K & L ( stayed from Dec 14-21)

• Stayed: December 2012
10  Thank Kman2012
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments, compliments and recommendations. Our team is proud that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Best regards, Jorge Calderín, Director

There are newer reviews for Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Very friendly and trying staff making the resort truly hospitable and inviting.
Fantastic buffet with great variety of meals prepared just for you, and to your taste, at various stations plus four proper (but not necessarily outstanding) a-la-carte restaurants.
Nice bars with great mixed drinks using international brand name liquors plus Becks beer and 3 popular cuban beers available at all times (24 hours a day) at the Snack Bar.
Accommodation is more than acceptable as I got a very clean and large room with balcony and a large bathroom with all the amenities, on the top floor. The small flat screen TV therein has many international channels, a welcome add-on on stormy days.
Onsight nightlife is limited to a piano player at the Lobby Bar (after 6:30pm or so) and rather average nightly shows; no disco onsight but there is one in the Pueblo (5 minutes away by super nice double decker bus costing only 1 peso each way).
Several outstanding swimming pools for all ages, some fitted with various nets types for playing water games.
The beach is white sand, safe with clear water weather permitting; the damage caused by hurricanes still shows. Snorkeling is doable in front of the resorts Sol Cayo Santa Maria and Melia Buena Vista but one has to get there first (quite a long walk, especially for the latter, but you probably can manage to hire a Hobbie Cat....probably....).
Finally it should be said that the area of Cayo Santa Maria, just like that of Cayo Coco, is secluded, away from 'Cuban Life' and is meant more for quiet restful holidays than, say, 'Adventure Travel', but suits families very well, in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: I had the great fortune of getting a room on the top floor (two floors up from the ground floor).
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank Madjid A
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Sir, thank you very much for your comment. We are pleased to know that having a positive approach of our installation and service. Thank you very much and best regards. Jorge Calderin, Director

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We chose this resort for our honeymoon and spent one week (Dec 9-Dec 16) there. It was definitely the best choice for honeymoon trips. The resort is new, nice and clean; right on the beautiful beach; neither too big or too small; comfy room with modern design; wonderful buffet and restaurants (especially the Romantic and San Juan); great cocktails from lobby bar. The best part is the people: they are all very hardworking, friendly and truly appreciate any gratuity. We as honeymooners got special arrangement like flowers, champagne, room upgrade, romantic breakfast&dinner...; and special attention from customer service manager, Hany. She took great care of us during our stay and made our honeymoon so fabulous and memorable.
We just came back but already miss the place. Will come back for our anniversary for sure!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank YLi_415
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

It was an honor for our team to have made your honeymoon memorable and can be sure that your anniversary will be much better. Thank you very much for the compliment. Best regards, Jorge Calderin, Director

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I just returned from a one week stay at the Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria and it was amazing! I was there to attend a very good friends wedding and I must say they put on a fantastic day for her, they didn't spare one detail. I work in the industry and have seen many hotels all over the south and I must say this one stands out. Very clean, excellent staff, beautiful grounds and great food. I know Cuba isn't always known for it's food but this resort was great, they had a fantastic variety and always very good! I would go back tomorrow and definitely recommend it to older and younger couples, families, honeymooners, anyone really. My parents were a part of the wedding group and they raved about the hotel. Even though I've done a fair amount of travelling this was the first time I've travelled as part of a group, there were 44 of us, older couples, younger couples, singles and lots of kids, everyone had a great time. My son who is 7 years old thought the place was fantastic. The resort isn't huge but big enough, everything is well located and not far to walk. No need to golf cart transportation. 4 pools, swim up bar, spa (that was a nice afternoon spent!) gym, sports club, very large theater.HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended!!!!! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We were in building 15 facing the quiet pool, from one side we saw the ocean, straight ahead was the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank susan D

Dear Susan, thank you very much for your feedback so touching. It was a pleasure to have you and your group to our hotel. Thank you with all my heart. Best regards, Jorge Calderin, Director

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am a Travel Agent and have visited Cuba many times and I must say this was one of my favourite resorts. The beach is amazing albiet sometimes a little steep getting down the incline but hey that did not matter.
The resort is an easy walking property - not too big! The rooms were spotless and the bathrooms were new.
The lobby bar served good drinks and service was always wonderful. The seafood a la carte was excellent (ate there three times). The buffet was typical - I only had breakfast there.
All in all a very good property would recommend to anyone...and I will certainly go back...

Room Tip: building one is close to main lobby and restaurants.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank molly s
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your good opinion. Our team is pleased to know that your stay at our hotel was pleasant. Thanks for recommending. Best regards, Jorge Calderin, Director

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We spent the week of Nov 30 - Dec 6 at Hotel Playa and had a great time. We have been to Cuba many times, but never to the Cayo Santa Maria area. This area is very quiet and there isn't much to see or do in the area. However, if you are looking for a nice, relaxing vacation in a beautiful setting, this resort fits the bill. We found the resort to be clean, the service excellent, and simply felt that every effort was made to ensure the guests really enjoyed their vacation. Staff never gave you the feeling that they expected tips .. they were very warm and professional. The food was very good in my opinion, especially in the seafood and asian restaurants .. again, my opinion. The grilled sandwiches on the beach, right beside the bar were AMAZING .. especially the tuna. Drinks .. very good selection .. if you want something, ask, because there is no printed drink menu. For anyone who loves mojitos .. the guy at the beach bar makes the best ones! The beach itself was nice .. not the endless gorgeous expanse of Varadero, and running about fourth in my rating of Cuban beaches, but still really nice .. hey, it's CUBA, lol ! The room was very nice .. absolutely spotless, with a mini bar stocked with water, pop and beer. Maids were towel art experts! Showers were the hand held kind, but there was always plenty of hot water. Building 1 was very convenient to the lobby, buffet and one of the large quiet pools .. we thought it was perfect. Entertainment in my opinion was a weak spot .. we usually enjoy the shows, but they were pretty mediocre here .. possibly because it was off season.
In summary, we really enjoyed this resort .. met many nice fellow Canadians and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet vacation experience in a really nice, relaxing setting. We would definitely return. It is well deserving of its 4 star rating.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have great views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
20  Thank Lainer123
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬Dear Sir, thank you very much for your commentary. We are satisfied to know that having a positive approach of our Hotel and service, best regards. Jorge Calderín, Director

Reviewed November 28, 2012

First,
I went from Nov.19 to Nov 26th.
The Hotel is brand new. The facilities are very good and clean. There are different swimming pools around the hotel. The staff is around average 25-30 years old. Very nice people. One of the animation guy his name is Mikael and he speaks very well in French. The animation group are very good and friendly. Lorem speaks very good English. He is taking care of the chairs at the beach. Very polite and take his job very seriously. About the 4 restaurants a la carte. Carrabean food is great. The lobstar are amazing.... The Italien restaurant is good but DEJA VU. The resto International is awsome. The style, the presentation of the plastes is WOW... and the Asian restaurant is also is very good. Therefore the service is very fast . We had 5 plates and one hour later we had finished eating. Therefore don t give me wrong, the food is excellent but the quantity are not big enough, my husband went to the buffeet afterant. About the beach; , the beach is not large. It is like 2 steps before getting into the water. There are several palapas on the first step but the lower step (less windy) and there is only one palapas left (Sandy's hurricane). One of the life guard, his name is Frank. Very nice guy and speaks very well English and his French is not soo bad.
I took the time to write it down, even do I am a french quebecor and my English is so so, I want to make sure most people can read this. If you have an hesitation to go to that hotel, please don t!!!! It is a good place to good. In overall I have been 4 times to Cuba and so far it is the best hotel I went in Cuba.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
25  Thank Chantal R
Jorge C, Gerente at Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012