“BEYOND our expectations!!”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Bowmanville, Canada
“BEYOND our expectations!!”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Traveled from Mar.15-22 as a couple to celebrate our (past) 15th anniversary. We are already planning our return for next March with the kids.

This was our first trip outside Canada or America, and really didn't know what to expect. Read all the reviews before going and said to ourselves lets just see where the chips fall.

The airport itself is small, and you could have a long wait for the baggage. There is also a money exchange there but if you leave the building to change over anything, you cannot get back into the airport. You can change it at the hotel or there is a bank in Pueblo La Estrella, make sure you have your passport for any bank or the airport exchange. Yes, the drive from the airport is long, but you are on an island off the island. What do you expect??

We had really only 3 issues with Hotel Gaviota. Check-in, we had no one to tell us where to go, so we were wandering in the dark after we got our room key. Now granted we did arrive after 12:30am, and there weren't that many staff around. Secondly, the French Canadians were extremely rude!! Everyday we encountered either loud obnoxious voices or just overall being rude to the staff, or at worse not tipping. I'm sorry but the staff we came into contact with almost every moment were very friendly, hospitable and quite frankly hard working people. I know we probably over-tipped in some cases but due to their service, they deserved it!! The third issue was the smokers! Absolutely disgusting from some of them. Yesterday being our last day, one of the female cleaners was sweeping the snack bar. A very rude (have to say it French Canadian) lady was smoking her cigarette, dumping her ashes on the floor, until the cleaner brought her an ashtray, which this older lady should've done herself. Seriously, have respect at meal times for those who do not smoke. The beach itself in some places had smoke butts all over as well.

Best stand out people for sure were Brady-in the snack bar (and the cooks back there too), Noslon-in the lounge/main bar, Petra-the bananas foster cook (dinner buffet), Vyorski-at the beach bar, Rodney-the panini guy on the beach, Tonelli(?)-at the snack bar as well. This is just to name a few. Yes, sometimes their English wasn't the greatest but they understood what we were after and if they didn't then the tried their best to make it right. Not once did we EVER feel pressure from staff to leave anyone a tip. That is ridiculous that people have posted that!

Now I know everyone says you don't go to Cuba for the food. To some extent thats correct, but however there was some really nice surprises we found. The Cubans can make a mean pizza, some half decent pastas, burgers and fries and a wonderful simple beach side panini.

Food---honestly the best was at the snack bar. You could get breakfast all day long (toast here wasn't spectacular), the burgers were decent but the pizza's they made here were totally amazing. Have them put bacon, ham, tomatoes, onion and gr pepper on it (if you like that much), you will not be disappointed.

The buffets were decent. A co-worker of mine told me "to eat with our eyes", and we did just that. The waffles were awesome with their honey and cinnamon, the omelettes, fried eggs and the bread, toasted and dipped in honey....fantastic!! The bacon isn't the best, but think about it! What buffet do you know that has the best bacon? I certainly know of none. I wanted to bring back some of the honey but couldn't find it available. There really was a lack of raw vegetables available, but we ate lots of tomatoes and cucumbers. Desserts got better as we were there. The banana or pineapple foster are to die for made by Petra or the other girl. BTW....everyone who made/grilled something for us, we always tipped them 1 peso for their service, which they really appreciate, and hey, one thing I don't have to worry about cooking......

The A la Cartes....We just choose to do two of them. Chinese was just okay for us. They have one piece of sushi from the appetizers that had pineapple in it that was really good. The Italian was really good as well.

Cleanliness was amazing through out the property! Our room was ALWAYS left in immaculate condition! The guys cleaning our room always left a design on our bed or even the towel swan in the sink. Always asked us if we needed anything extra, even when stocking our mini fridge. Was the floor always spotless, not a chance, but you try sweeping up that fine sand and you won't be able to do it either. Our toilet paper was always full, and everything was over our expectation.

The beach was phenomenal! Yes a little narrow, but never had a problem with getting a lounge chair nor a covered area when we were looking for one. It is very windy down there however. We have come home now with beach sand in every crease of our backpack due to our second last day. The sand was just whipping around it seemed that day. The water was amazing! The waves were fantastic to jump in and around, and you could go so far out with out having to worry.

As far as vacations go, you may never find the perfect spot. But if you want a great relaxing/fun place with lots to do and friendly service then this is THE place!

A few extra notes....bring peanut butter and ketchup if you can't live without them. Also lots of suntan lotion, the stuff at the gift shop isn't very good. The excursions seem all really good. We did the Santa Clara one and had a good time, and met some awesome people from other hotels that day. Only three downfalls on our excursion...first-you have to wait on others if they are late back to the bus, second-not enough free time in some areas, and third-when you get off the bus be prepared to be flock by townies wanting money. Do not give them anything!! Want to do a little shopping

Any questions, just ask!

Room Tip: Bungalow 6 was out of the way but very quiet and the non ocean view rooms had the most amazing breez...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank wldwoman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We were at Gaviota from March 8th to 15th!We loved the place hated the long bus ride but for the hotel itself it was very nice,clean!The beach was*nice* it is not wide but we went swimming not to sit on the beach,if you need chairs you can find a little man all in white he will help you!

*FOOD* it is cuba so if you want food like home stay home!If you really want everyone can find something,PATIENCE your on holidays what is the hurry!

I would only tell you to change your money at the airport because they seem to have trouble often!For change when you get to the hotel if they don't have any you can ask at the bar in the lobby!

HAVE FUN,Go see ALEX the waiter at the restaurant beside the beach he is GREAT !Bring your spanish dictionnary because few staff members speak english!

People be generous with tips they have so little!

Room Tip: our room was 0864 beside pool facing ocean very nice!
2 Thank melissa c
Ottawa
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We were at the resort from March 14-21.

In short, check in went very smoothly, the beach was gorgeous, the grounds were beautiful and the rooms were very nice. I'll try to address some of the negative points that other reviewers have mentioned:

Long bus ride: It does take about an hour and a half to get to the resort. We knew to expect it therefore it didn't bother us at all. I don't quite understand people that complain about the long bus ride when you should be well aware of it when booking a trip to Cayo Santa Maria. That is the only way to get there!

Towels in the room/mini bar service: We did notice that the amount of towels we had at the beginning of the week seem to diminish as the week went along. However, we sometimes had someone come by late afternoon to give us the remaining missing towels. I remember our Nolitours rep mentioning something about a towel/bathrobe shortage on the island...so it might have had something to do with that. Our mini bar service was not very predictable during the week. They seemed to come at various times during the day. With that said though, there was only 1 day where we didn't have it refilled so my husband just went to the buffet and one of the servers gladly gave him a few cans of beer. Keep in mind they only give 1 bottle of water per room, per day. However, you can get water from any of the restaurants/bars.

Narrow beach: It is narrow but we always managed to find a good spot and there were always plenty of chairs available. The guys that bring them down to the beach for you are friendly and even brush off the sand off the chairs for you! The sand was very fine compared to some of the other resorts along the beach.

Staff expecting tips: We never encountered this. We didn't always tip but always had great service.

Long lineups at beach bar: Again, never encountered this. Sure, we sometimes had to wait 5 minutes or so for a drink but that was nothing out of the ordinary for us. You're on vacation, what's 5 minutes under the beautiful Cuba sun to wait for a drink?

Cleanliness of the rooms: We did notice that our room wasn't cleaned very well. Every day you could see the accumulation of sand tracks in the tub and on the floors in general. The main area of the room seemed to be well cleaned but service definitely lacked in the bathroom. One time I bent down to pick up some bits of toilet paper that had fallen on the floor and noticed that the bottom of the toilet was stained with yellow speckles everywhere. This was at the beginning of our trip so I figured that the toilet hadn't been washed properly in a while, even in between guests. That is a shame as if they want to keep this place nice and fresh for a long time they will have to do a better job at cleaning.

Vegetation: The resort is absolutely beautiful. You almost can't tell that it just opened. They had flowers everywhere, beautiful palm trees and plants growing everywhere. The gardeners worked hard every day to make this site beautiful. I don't get the negative comments about the lack of vegetation...we didn't see that at all.

Food: We have traveled a few times to Punta Cana but this was our first time in Cuba and we were told by many people that the food in Cuba is not very good. Even though it wasn't the best food, we still managed to find something to eat every night. They always had fish, chicken and sometimes beef and pork. You could also get your meat freshly cooked on the grill. For breakfast we ate at the main buffet. We were always there a bit before 8am and never had an issue with long lineups. For lunch we would usually go to the Ranchon Playa near the beach. They always had a nice buffet and plus they have an a la carte menu. They don't advertise it so you have to ask for it. You can usually order grilled chicken, fish of the day, creole pork or beef. We went to 3 a la cartes: Asian - good but nothing out of the ordinary, Italian - same as Asian and lastly Mediterranean which was excellent!
Some people had mentioned that the bacon wasn't well cooked and we did notice it as well on the first day. However, for the remaining 6 days of our trip, the bacon was very well cooked. I'm assuming that this problem has been fixed for good.

One night they served langouste at the buffet. The lineups were quite long for that but it was to be expected. My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro (#2 of all Punta Cana hotels on Trip Advisor) a few years ago for our honeymoon and whenever they served mini lobsters at the buffet we had to wait in line for a while. I think that people sometimes have unrealistic expectations when it comes to wait times for food. If you go to a restaurant in Canada, you will not be served fresh food in 2 minutes...

I was annoyed and disappointed by all the complaints I heard from people while waiting for food. Some people were simply mean to the staff when really it is not their fault if they are understaffed at times. A lot of people were also complaining about how the food was cooked. I say, if you want food that tastes like our Canadian food and is cooked the Canadian way, then stay in Canada! You cannot travel to a foreign country and expect the exact same standards.

In more general terms, we had a great vacation. The staff were very helpful and always pleasant. We loved Dagoberto and Guylenes from the Ranchon Playa, Yrovi at the beach bar and the servers at the lobby bar.

I have to completely agree with flirtynsweet, M B and Gmamuller regarding their comments about the rudeness of other guests. Staff at the resort work extremely hard to provide us with a great experience. Most of them work very long hours and have to travel to and from the resort from the main island every single day. I think it is unfair to be rude and mean to them when it is not their fault if some kinks have to be worked out at the resort. They are trying their best. It is a new resort therefore one should not expect to go there and have everything perfectly in order. I believe people should reevaluate their expectations when booking this resort. You're on vacation, relax and enjoy!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. BTW, we traveled with our 1 year old son so if anyone has questions regarding traveling with a baby to this resort, I'll be happy to answer!

23 Thank mylenesirois
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Here is what I would add to what others have written about their experiences. I found other commentary useful and in fact printed the comments to take with me to Cuba. That way it all made sense. Our family of 6 came back on March 16. It was wonderful and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Airport. The airport in Cuba is small but like any other. They separate adults even if in the same family. They look you over plenty but its expected. Go with the flow. They pulled my son's bag aside thinking he had apples with him. When they saw it was baseballs they all had a chuckle. One even tried on his glove. Just relax and remember you are on vacation.

The bus. The bus ride is not great. It is over an hour and bumpy. We did it at night so we had a nap. Our tour guide was mediocre. I heard others are better. Would have liked to learn about Cuba. We never got drinks on the bus. By contrast, the bus back was in daylight so we got to see the three "cities" . Its a culture shock for kids, especially after a week in paradise, to see poverty like that. The staff come from the closest city some 50 km away. You see the buildings they live in and lack of resources and it makes you appreciate their hospitality all he more. We gave a $5 tip to the driver.

Reception. There was a lineup at reception. In fact, there is usually a lineup there. Make sure to take the printouts re the reservation. Don’t trust that you are in their system. It seemed like they assigned rooms as we got there. They give you a wrist band and off you go. Have your bags taken to your room – that is where the tipping starts. I gave them 5 dollars since I had not changed my money. Reception is where you change money as well.

To the left of reception are the Noli and Transat reps 9 am to 5 pm – use them if you want.

Staffing. There is never enough staff there but you get used to it. Service it hit and miss. Really depends on the person. By far the best is at the lobby bar/cafe. At the snack bar it can be good or slow. A suggestion is to go to the bar and order even the food rather than wait. Don’t be pushy, but get what you want. Don’t sit and wait to be served at the snack bar. Once they know you its better/ Service at the buffet is fine as well as at the restaurants. The staff, with the exception of the reception, are great. They played catch with us, taught our four year old to swim underwater, chatted about baseball Canada Cuba etc. They are a proud people.

Food. In terms of food, manage your expectations. You won’t starve. There is always something to eat even if the variety is not what you expect. We never stood in line, not for pizza, fish or pasta. There are always prepared foods. We got in, ate, and got out. Same for the a la carte restaurants - good service, mediocre food. Go to the snack bar 24hrs a day and have pizza burger or the grilled ham and cheese. Or get your fruit etc and go to the lobby bar for coffee. The Guava and papaya are great. Not much else there. At the beach there is a buffet with enough choices and another snack bar for grilled stuff beside the beach bar. If you like ketchup take with you. There was none.

Drinks. You will not be disappointed with the drinks. Take a thermos if you want. They will fill buckets if you want. They serve on the beach too. Pina coladas are popular. Beer is cold. Drinks are strong.

Water. You get a bottle a day, more if you tip....lol. You can order water at the bar or fill your bottle. No worries.

COFFEE!!! The coffee is world best, and this from a Starbucks addict. Simply awesome. What I paid for the trip I nearly drank in coffee ie cappuccinos. You can get them at lobby bar and snack bar.

Tipping. I found that they did not expect it but appreciated it. I probably over tipped, if there is such a thing. Sometimes a peso or more. Up to you. Since we had kids I tipped more since they did not and we had large order. Tips did not always mean better service except maybe at lobby bar and the fridge guy. I get the sense that they cannot easy spend the convertible pesos they get. Perhaps they can cash it in or barter it. But they were not jumping up and down even with a healthy tip. We also took a bunch of dollar store women’s and kids stuff to leave on pillows for the housekeeping. Some were men so we took some Leafs and other sports stuff for boys. I gave away from perfume I knew I would never use. Tip the fridge guy by leaving something by the fridge. We took baby bottles and sippy cups etc to leave. We left baseball hats and shirts for a special few who made us feel at home.

Rooms. Rooms are large and clean. Hit and miss with towels. Not sure what towels you will find when you come back in. only the plug in the bed lamps is our voltage. There are hairdryers.

Money. Don't trust that the reception will have pesos. I suggest you get a bunch up front (like a few hundred) when you arrive and keep in the safe in the room. If you have time get at airport. If not, then after you check in. They tended to run out of money.... You can also take a bus to town - puebla, to get money at the bank. You need your passport there. The hours of the bank are short. The town or puebla - there are two - cost a peso by bus or five by cab. First come so don't wait. The buses are not predictable. If you see a cab go. We had 7 in a small cab... The towns are attached to other hotels, one to the right, one to the left of the hotel. They have very cheap gifts. Go for it. Stock up. At night they have restaurants. The exchange at the hotel is 93 to 100 dollars. A little better at the bank, I am told.

Excursions. There are a few. We took the dolphin excursion with dinner. Great. Others did the jeep tour and loved it. Cost 60 on up. There is a cat tour as well. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere so there is no place close to visit.

Night show. There is a nightly show but by and large we were tired from the day. Starts at 945. No discos at night. There is a water show one night which is cool. Bars open all night. Though. We loved to chill in lobby bar, drink, read, people watch.

Beach. The beach is spectacular. Windier than south side of island. Lots of chairs. You get one beach towel so don’t lose it. You can exchange at about 10 am until they run out. Free catamaran rides. Washroom attached to the beach restaurant which is the lunch buffet. Good enough.

Pools. All 4 are clean and not crowded. Three are by bars. Two beside the snack bar. One has a swim up bar. Ask for a room facing the pools. I think the clubpackage comes with it. Music all the time and dance lessons at about 4. You will love rocka rocka and big bamboo.

Smoking. Caution that people smoke all over the place. I didn't care but some might. It is breezy so it clears out.

Departure Tax. You will need 25 pesos a person as a departure tax. Cash.

Extend Room. Also, pay to extend the room the last day if you have a late flight. 10 pesos an hour . The store takes pesos or credit. Don't use american based credit cards or us dollars, they ding you.

Make sure to have the 25 pesos for the tax per person and have your etix ready - what you got when you reserved ticks.

VIP. Pay the 20 pesos vip to leave cuba. No lines - or shorter to check in and immigration and a separate vip lounge with drinks and food. First on plane as well. well worth it. the wait can be 3 hours.

Duty free is great but you can only take a limited amount of booze and tobacco.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your trip.

Room Tip: close to main pool - facing it
10 Thank Peter I
Ottawa
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at this resort for a week in March. I had read the bad reviews but figured we would make the best out of it regardless of the experiences had by others. Let me start off by saying that the resort itself is gorgeous, the beach is magnificent and the drinks were always well made. Unfortunately the PROS stop there. We are not picky eaters by any means, but the food here is AWFUL! If you like fake ham and cheese then this is the place for you. They make everything with ham and cheese. No fruits or veggies, the meat is always over done and the line ups are insane. By the end of the week I was getting stomach pains and nausea after every meal. If you're traveling with young children be aware that there are long waits at the buffet. They do make burgers and pizza at the snack bar but I don't see anyone being able to eat this every meal for a week straight. I would have much preferred authentic Cuban food instead of them trying to reproduce North American meals. The beds were so uncomfortable i felt like i was sleeping on cardboard. We had to lay some fleece blankets on top just to get through the night.

Also, the resort is 2 hours away from the airport so be ready to sacrifice 2 days of your vacation to travel. The airport is extremely unorganized, if you have a late flight coming home fill up on food at the resort because you won't be eating for hours. There's nothing but cookies and beer at the airport.

Overall, if you can get this resort for $700 go for it. But plan on sleeping on the beach during the day and eating bread and cheese for a week.

Room Tip: We were in block 5. Close the everything. I don't think there's a bad location for rooms at...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank GRDENIS
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The hotel gaviota is a great place to stay. The employes are the best, like Rodney the beach grill guy, he makes the best sandwhiches and is very friendly, second Is the towel guy, if you go up to him and say hola amigo! He will be your bestfriend the whole time you are there, then the banana lady at the buffet, please tip her, she dose not have alot.......she burns her hand to caramelise bananas for you, they are very good, they will take a while but it's worth it, give her a tip and she will caramelise them extra :) everyone is nice down there, here are some people to remember.........Ernesto, he works at the gym and loves to play pool, foseball, and pingpong when he's not working, second the towel guy, I never learned his name but just call him amigo, he loves it :) and then the bartenders at the swimbar :)
they are very nicee tip them and chatwith them, these people don't have a whole lot, but your company is what thy love, be nice to them, my dad was walkig when a gardener asked him if he was from cananda, my dad said yes and the gardener put his hand on his heart and said "god bless you" they love us down there so love them back and treat them with respect :) it never hurts to make someone happy at the end of the day :) Keegan-age 13.....so if I can see that these people are nice and deserve to be treated with respect from us, then you people should to, please please please be nice to them, thank you :)

• Stayed March 2012
11 Thank 101010101
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Check our Youtue link for an overall idea of what we did and saw when we spent one week in February 2012

Room Tip: Choose one of the suite overlooking the Ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family