“Memories at Memories”

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed March 23, 2014

First off, you have to remember that you aren't in Canada. You are in a third world country where they do things a lot differently than we do and have different food. Stop listening to the little things that people are complaining about just go in with an open mind and have fun.

We travelled to Memories March 14-21, 2014. We arrived in Santa Clara 1/2 hours early and promptly went through me customs. They ask you to go into a little room and look at a camera, sounds scary but its not. They don't stamp your passport so you have to ask them to stamp it if you wanted it stamped. After this, we went outside and were greeted by the signature vacations rep and he pointed us in the direction of the man that had a basket with envelopes that had all our check in neccecities. The envelope had our room keys, a map, our wristbands, and the check in paperwork. The 1 1/2 hour drive went by really fast. It is a guided tour and you can see real Cuban living. Lots of horse and buggies, motor bikes, and old American cars. The causeway is really neat! For about a 1/2 hour you're driving over the ocean. We didnt see any sea life on our drive to the resort but on our bus ride back to the airport we saw a dolphin swimming quite close to the road. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with a smile and a drink. Check in went quite smoothly. We had to wait in line for a little bit but that is no big deal. When there are 50 other people checking in at the same time you can't expect to not wait in line. After this, we were on our way. Our building was close so we just walked to our room and minutes later our luggage was delivered to our room with a smile. They have little carts to take you to your room or the market if needed. We didn't use these at all as we enjoyed the walk. This resort is HUGE so be prepared for lots of walking. But as I said, these carts will take you anywhere as long as they weren't full. On our second day we had very little water pressure and no hot water but this was a problem that was affecting the whole island. It was fixed the next day.

Rooms - we were in building 52 on the azul side so we were close to everything, the lobby, theater, relaxing pool, buffet and the beach. It wadsOur room was OK. Dated, but it did the trick while we were there. The bathroom wall was filthy though. This bothered us and was never cleaned. The rest of the room was spotless thanks to our wonderfull maid Janaisy. The room didn't have the musty smell others are talking about nor did it have a damp feeling. The beds are on the harder side but I had no troubles sleeping. TV was fine, there are lots of english channels. But lets be honest, who is on vacation to watch TV?! Our patio door didn't lock and we were on the main level so we felt more comfortable to have this fixed. It was fixed within a couple of hours. Very happy with the speedy service!! We couldnt open the door after that but we were ok with that as it eliminated bugs and lizards. We only had a couple ants in our room but no biggy. Overall, we were hapoy with our room aside from the dirty wall in the bathroom.

Food/drinks - I am pretty picky but I found something to eat every night. It was a bit repetative but I don't vacation for the food. I highly recommend the fried rice station! It is made right in front of you and quite delicious. I went to this station everyday. I am not much of a meat eater and I don't eat seafood so i was limited but it was still tasty. I was quite impressed with the food. After reading the reviews I went in with low expectations but waspleasantly surprised. There was salt and pepper on the tables and spices in the food. It is a little more bland than we are used to but just remember you aren't in Canada. The buffet staff was fantastic! Always greeting us with a smile and checking on us. Special mention need to be made to Heidy. She took the time to get to know us and tell us about her family. We didn't do any of the a la cartes but heard the Cuban and Italian ones were great. Drinks were relish! I have no complaints about the drinks. The rum punch was my favorite. Rubin at the relaxing pool bar made the best rum punch. If you didn't know what you wanted, just say surprise me and they would always bring something new and delicious.

Entertainment - There is always somethingto do. We stuck around the relaxing pool so there wasnt much for entertainment there but that was oj as we just wanted to relax. On the days we were at the beach, they had music and dancing and games. Tons of fun! The nightly shows were great! My favorite was the horror show. There was a Grease show and Michael Jackson show, as well as a participation show. On Thursday night there was a beach party with music and dancing. The entertainment team really knows how to show us a good time. They are very talented dancers and singers as well. Before and after the shows in the theatre there were live bands with Cuban music, this was a very nice treat. The best band was the Cuban rock band. They had the crowd rockin! All in all, the entertainment was great. Not too much of night life but after the shows and live bands we would head over to the lobby bars if we wanted a little more fun to finish your day.

Staff - In some reviews i read, there were complaints about the staff. Im not sure who these people were talking to as i did not come across one single rude staff member. They are always smiling and friendly and whenever they pass you they would say 'hola' and ask how we were doing. The man with the cushions for the pool chairs would give the ladies a fresh picked flower in the morning. The bar, buffet, and front desk staff were great! No complaints about the staff at all.

Beach - I have no words. The most beautiful beach i have ever seen. The sand is so soft it feels like powder between your toes. The water....wow! Its warm and you can walk out for miles before it gets deep. On wavy dayswe would play in the waves. Just be careful because those are some powerful waves. We had the green flag for a couple days. But the red flag was up for most of our stay but that also means the lifeguard is not on duty.

Make sure you visit the market. There are tons of things to buy for pretty cheap. The vendors change every 2 days so if you see something you like, buy it. There is a tower that you can climb and get a fantastic view if the ocean. Worth the climb!

Overall, we had a really nice time at Memories. Some little things were not what we liked but we are in a different country and things are different there. Don't fret and complain about the little things and just have fun, you're on vacation!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
16  Thank T D
There are newer reviews for Memories Paraiso Beach Resort

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We arrived very late due to weather in Saint John and the airport arrival went smooth .Bus ride was entertaining thanks to our guide Katherine .She made the hour and a half trip go by fast .Thank you .Check in at the diamond club was great and though initially I didn't get the building I requested it was remedied quickly .The weather was stellar 28-30 every day and only one afternoon with any showers.The food was ample and I enjoyed the addition of the panini press for breakfast. The rooms as always were spotless and the staff amazing.The entertainment was great both inside and out in the theater..I love the availability for the purchase of extra dinners in the town next door .The price however has doubled plus since last year and because of that we only went 2x vs 5-6 last year .Not sure that is a wise move on their part .It is what it is however and as usual it was great . I absolutely love the beach at this resort and it is very easy to get to .The sand is like icing sugar and almost as white ,plus it never gets hot on your feet like ours does ..This is a very large resort but the electric carts are always on call if you need one and they will come and pick you up at your building .As long as we can fly from our city to here we will be back next year! Note to self take bug spray next year .I have never been bitten by the little no-seeums until this year but my blood must be more attractive to them now !

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank ssweet405
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was our first time to Cuba and we didn't really know what to expect. We had such a wonderful time! The staff were amazing - friendly, organized, and helpful. Any request we made was attended to immediately. Our favourite breakfast buffet was on the Azul side where Yamilka made our dining experience truly memorable. Santiago makes the best omlettes. Luciano and Miriam Miate from Sun Wing were so organized and helpful in assisting us book our excursions. Ivan and the housekeeping staff in Bungalow 61 were always going above and beyond. We couldn't have asked for a better holiday! Next March we will be returnning for 2 weeks as one just wasn't enough.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank karla/marshall
Reviewed March 22, 2014

When we first went to this resort ..we were greeted with friendly staff and beautiful weather. Our first impression of our room was not great as the toilet didn't flush and water was low. It was fixed in a timely manner. I also didn't like the fact that the patio door didn't lock. It took me 3 days to adapt to the standards and honestly as time went by I grew to love the area. I had to remind myself that in Cuba we can not expect the same standards as Canada :) Keeping this in mind I was open to the change. The buffet had ample food choices and it was just a matter of finding the foods that worked best for you. I am not a picky eater. I found the buffet much better than the le carte restaurants. The service and all workers including ALL beach staff were AMAZING. Wow everyone was well looked after and always greeted with respect and manners. The staff and friendliness is what makes the resort and the lovely beach (climate of course).

My Advice: Go with an open mind and if you can overcome minor issues like low water reserves etc ..you'll be fine. Always keep in mind that Cuba does not have the same standards of living as other places. I hated to leave and would have loved another week. I will be back.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the main lobby :) I stayed in 51!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Charlene157
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I did a lot of research about what to expect on my families vacation to Cuba. I already understood that a Cuban 41/2 star resort was not comparable to the same standards of a North American Resort. I was also well informed and prepared for the bland & repetitive food options at our hotel. My family & I went with an open mind looking forward to what Memories Cayo Santa Maria had to offer. With that being said, we felt that for what we paid we could at least expect the bare necessities from the Memories Paraiso Azul resort; A clean & comfortable room to rest our heads at night and hospitable service. Unfortunately, we should have lowered our expectations even more.

Tuesday was our first night of arrival at the resort and we had many issues with our room. The back patio door, safe and closet door were all broken, so we moved to another room the following morning. On the 2nd full day, at the resort, no water! Our toilets didn't flush and barely any water out of the taps, the little that did was freezing cold. Soon to find out, many people on the resort were having these same problems.

When we called or went down to talk to customer service at the front desk or anyone that would listen for that matter, it was as if it was...no big deal. It appeared as if there was little or no effort going into fixing this very big problem or to say the least doing some damage control to make a lot of very unhappy customers more comfortable.

By the 3rd day our room smelled like an outhouse. I thought it would be in my best interest to use one of the bathrooms on the resort at the restaurants or pools, wrong! If I didn't hold my breath I probably would have thrown up, it was so disgusting...& forget about washing your hands after you did your business; thank god for hand sanitizer, but still not the same. On this particular day I discovered I wasn't the only one who had reached their boiling point. There was a very angry mob of about 100 unhappy & very dissatisfied customers who had gathered in front of the Sunwing desk. People were yelling & demanding to to be compensated for their miserable experience at the Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort. On the Sunday, The water issue was finally back to normal.

On Tuesday, the very last day of our stay, I was given a contract to sign stating Sunwing would compensate me for one nights stay. I didn't feel as if this made up for the THREE nights we had no running warm water and a room that smelled like crap. Also, this contract did not state exactly how much the amount would be. I asked the rep and he told me that everyones packages were different so they were not specifying the amount. I didn't like the idea of signing an agreement that wasn't stating specifics, so I refused to sign. I was told by the Sunwing representative that I could call and "speak" with a Sunwing customer service rep when I got back to Canada to resolve the issue. "just quote your booking number" he told me.

The icing on the cake to all of this was our flight was delayed, the flight attendants were rude and they ran out of sandwiches on the plane. All they could offer was cheese pizza & I'm lactose intolerant. In addition, our row of seats didn't recline so everyone row 14 was sitting in an upright very uncomfortable position for 6 hours; If the person sitting in front of you seat was reclined, it was practically in your lap. Sunwing should be ashamed of themselves for selling seats like that at full price or even at all.

Now back in Canada, I've tried to phone Sunwing customer service and and the rep informed me they can only take my complaint in writing and it could take up to 35 days for someone to get back to me. Unbelievable!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Michi R
Reviewed March 22, 2014

First time in cuba and it won't be our last.. MEMORIES is a beautiful resort, amazing beach, rooms were average but clean, food was much better than we expected, staff were wonderful and very friendly. The only problem we encounter were the bathrooms at certain restaurants on the resort were out of water and sometimes smelly. We had hardly any water in the shower in our room the last day. Always bring purrell with you caused limited hand soap and hand towels in bathrooms on the resort.
Overall it's a great resort for families and group holidays.If you want more luxury go to a 5 star resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sun3
Reviewed March 21, 2014

-Our vacation was from March 14-21. I would like to start off by saying that before you go on vacation you should be aware that you live in first world countries (Canada) and your 5 star is different than a 5 star in Cuba. You are vacationing to a third world country and you should keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that people on trip advisor love to complain about nothing. You should never believe what people say on here and experience for yourself or else you will never go on vacation!

-To begin with, it took 3 hours on the plane to get to Santa Clara. From there, we took a bus for an hour and a half to Cayo Santa Maria. You will see beautiful land, villages and lots of water!

- We arrived at Memories Azul and were greeted with drinks right away. The staff make the vacation memorable, they leave there homes that are 2 hours away to come serve us. It was an amazing experience meeting such generous and caring staff. We went to our building which was number 35 close to one of the pools and the buffets! The rooms are good, beds are very clean! People constantly love to complain but we have not seen any bugs, stains etc.. Maids would clean our room every morning and leave plenty of towels and water! We never ran out of water.

- The food at this resort is very good compared to other resorts in Cuba, alot of variety it was surprising! At the buffet, there are many workers happy to grill fish, chicken, beef for you. They also make you eggs how you want and rice however you want. There are many A La Cartes however we were too late to book them! When you get there make sure you book them right away. Italian and Mediterranean are recommended!! Also, if you want the best selection of food at the buffets, go when it first starts. 9am, 1pm, 6pm.

- The pools are beautiful, clean and entertaining. Girls are happy to massage you, dancing everywhere, music playing most of the time, many workers grilling burgers, hotdogs, chicken etc.. !!!|

- THE BEST PART... THE BEACH. The most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life, and i have been to punta cana, dominican, bahamas, jamaica, mexico .. The water is crystal blue and sand is white! Most beautiful beach in the world hands down and it would be a shame to miss out! The beach was the highlight of my trip.

If you are looking for a relaxing and memorable trip with your family or significant other, this vacation is perfect for you! However, If you are looking to party 24-7, i recommend a place like Varadero. And again, get off trip advisor and book a trip.. listening to bitter people on here will result in you not booking a vacation.. Goodluck!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family