“Honest review - period”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto
“Honest review - period”

Here is a 5 star rating for each catagory;

Hotel: 4 - clean, nice employees, felt like a solid 4 star hotel (not 4.5)

Rooms: 4 - beds are a bit hard. clean and modernized for cuba.

Grounds: 4.5

Beach: 5 - amazing beach

Pools:5

Food: 3.5 It's Cuba - everything is undercooked. So tell them to cook it more on the grills and if you have a sensitive stomach don't eat what you think is undercooked. I enjoyed the grills and al cartes.

Entertainment: 4

We went with my family and a 3 year old son. We all had a great time. I would say if you can book for 1000$ canadian or less you will enjoy.

I met many people on my trip and 90% really enjoyed the Memories. Take note it's a bit large, However most things walking distance and if not the golf carts are always carrying guests place to place.

Pretty nice Hotel and trip :)

Please note this is my 4th time to Cuba. I've been to mexico twice. Domincan once and Jamaica once. So I'm not a rookie down south traveller. Cheers

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank DanielMona
OliverSuarez, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your honest review of a non-rookie down south traveler. We are happy to hear that you had enjoyed so much our Memories Paraiso Beach Resort and our beach.

Oliver Suárez Cronauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,936)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Midhurst, Ontario
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Fantastic staff, best beach anywhere, Good food.....Stayed here mid Feb 11-18 2014 and enjoyed everything this resort has to offer. We had lobster on 2 nites, once in the buffet along with roast turkey and once in the Seafood Restaurant. Had Mahi mahi in the Cuban restaurant and it was my favorite meal there. Lots of rice pudding and ice cream for desert with some excellent flaky pastry cookies....also great cappuccinos...Can't say enough about the staff.....Possibly the best beach in the world...Only surprise was fries only available for 2 days...Had a leaky bath tub but was looked after for us. Also 2 beautiful Cuban gals singing in the lobby...were fantastic...Would recommend

2 Thank c21realestateguy
Hello c21,

thank you for your review, I see you ejoyed everithig and our resort, from the fantastic staff, best beach, cuban music to till the lobster dinner and the roasted turkey.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This was my first trip to Cuba and my fourth all-inclusive resort; I was there with a large group of people for my friend's wedding. When we arrived in the evening the power was out all across the resort, which made it very difficult and confusing to check-in. We waited in line for about an hour to be checked-in and the staff seemed very unorganized and unsure about how to go about the process. I understand that things happen, and they had no control over the power being out, but they were not apologetic whatsoever and some people were placed in the wrong room due to the confusion. Not a HUGE deal, but it would have been nice to be acknowledged for our patience throughout the process (especially after a 5 hour flight; an hour and forty minute bus ride; and we were unable to eat because the buffet was closed due to the power situation). The power went out periodically throughout our trip in different buildings, which isn't great when you rely on A/C to have a comfortable sleep at night!

In terms of an all-inclusive trip, it depends what is important to you personally. If all you want is an amazing beach and clean room, then this trip may very well suite you! I must acknowledge that my needs are a little different. I appreciate great customer service, good food, and cleanliness. I found the customer service to be poor overall (not to say that there weren't some very nice staff members) and did not find the staff very friendly. Some staff was unprofessional and made inappropriate gestures and comments to me and another visitors on the resort.

The a la carte meals were not great. The only consistently great restaurant we heard of was the Italian and if you want to eat there book the very first day because we couldn't get in till late on our last day of the trip! The Carribean and Chinese a la carte were bad. Thankfully, there were decent options at the buffet so we were able to satisfy our appetite there. The best food on the resort is the grill by the pool. The chef makes fresh burgers and chicken sandwiches with vegetables and is definitely worth the wait!

Our room was very clean, the maids did a great job in that department! The bathrooms on the resort and in the market place were not great. One of the stalls I went into at the resort had vomit covering the whole toilet seat and garbage can and a lot of the stalls were not stocked with toilet paper. They also didn't have paper towel in any of the bathrooms so you had clean your hands with toilet paper (once again, I realize this is a third world country, so overall cleanliness may lack slightly).

The wi-fi is VERY UNRELIABLE! Most people, I'm sure, don't see that as a major issue because you're on vacation. But I had no family on this trip and I wanted to be able to check-in periodically. We weren't able to obtain the cards that provided the username and password until the third or fourth day of the trip because they were out of the cards for that long. You can only use the wi-fi in the lobby and it is an extremely slow connection during the afternoon. Like I said, most people may not care, but I found it very frustrating for myself (especially since the gold medal Olympic hockey game was playing while we were at the resort and there was no TV station to watch it!).

Everyone joked about how in Cuba you run on "Cuban time". Some cultures do not stress about being on time and I understand that, however, when on a resort I consider it unprofessional. The bank on the resort opened almost an hour late one day and you already have to wait in line for long periods of time to convert your money. The gift shop opened late regularly, and the a la carte restaurants had slow service. If none of this bothers you, then you may have an excellent time at this resort!

Overall, I would not go back to this resort, nor recommend it. I'm sure there are much better options on the island. It was a good trip to help me relax, but the beach and clean room did not make up for the other issues I had on the resort.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Mushu,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry that you had an power outage experience during your check inn, but it’s not usually for our resort. I apologize to you too in regards of some staff not being friendly to you.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed so much our grill by the pool, the very clean rooms and our beach with powder white sand and crystal clear water.
We thank you for choosing the Memories Paraiso Azul Cayo Santa Maria.
We are looking forward to welcoming and servicing you and your husband soon again.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I went to Memories Cayo Santa Maria with a friend of mine. We had an amazing vacation. The beach is amazing, the resort is clean and very big so it does not feel crowded, and the cubans are so nice and really nice to talk to. The only downfall was the food. It was not bad, but very repetitive, without much vegetables and fruits, but I guess that's Cuba, so just prepare yourself to eat pretty much the same thing every day at the buffet. The à la carte restaurant were OK but nothing like Mexico or other resorts i've been too. To summarize everything is really amazing, the service (except at the lobby) was great. Do not forget to tip you will enjoy your trip a lot more, and believe me cubans need your money. Most of the workers travel at least an hour to get to the resort, and they work very long hours... Moreover, if you tip them, they will remember your name and ask you to come back!!! Also... Some of the waitresses ask if I had any clothes or shampoo, or wtv I did not mind giving away. I should have brought more stuff just to give to them. IF you have old clothes you no longer want, or whatever you might not need in your bathroom in Canada... bring it to them, it will make their month!

Final advice: for women, bring tampons. If you start your period in Cuba, you'll have to go to the hospital to get tampons... or ask around to random people... not cool!!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view, you'll be sure to not be send at the end of the resort! AND TIP WELL
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank EVM_93
Hello EVM,
Thank you very much for your review, we are happy to hear that you had such amazing time at the Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort and that you enjoyed so much our amazing beach.
We will transfer your opinion to our front desk and kitchen team in order to improve the service they are providing.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Wonderful vacation. The staff were so nice. The beach is breathtaking. We stayed in building 32 (Paraiso side) which was very convenient to all the amenities. There was one night that the power went out for a few hours, but it was handled very well, the staff chit chatted and we joked that we had dinner by candle light. I really loved the entertainment in the main lobby in the evenings. We would go there after dinner and listen to a new local entertainer each night. The buffet could use some improvements especially at dinner time. I think having a theme night might be a good idea. Oliver the director was always everywhere ensuing things were good to go and up to standard. He was very professional. We didn't book diamond class, but always were treated the same as diamond club. There was always someone on the beach to help you find a spot and there wasn't a single day that we didn't have a great spot. I will definately be back at this resort. In fact I would like to come soon with a group of friends. Love love love the beach!!!!

Room Tip: Building 32 was close to everything without hearing too much noise. Don't worry if you get the t...
4 Thank Rani G
OliverSuarez, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Hello Rani,

first of all thank you for your review, we are happy to hear that you felt so comfortable at our Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort and that you have enjoyed so much our lovely beach with the services provided by our Staff.

Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada

Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort Feb 14-21 2014

I have spent the last few days reviewing other reviews from people that had stayed there the same week we did. Most were good, some were just funny and some were just so far from the truth its not funny!
Yes it was reading week for Ontario Collage students and yes most of them took advantage of the all inclusive alcohol but most of them behaved themselves. Remember when you were that age? They were having fun!
This is our 6th trip to Cayo Santa Maria every February and we have never been disappointed. The Management and staff go out of there way to ensure you have a good vacation.
The resort itself has come a long way since our first visit there, the grounds have filled in with beautiful plants and flowers the pools are big and refreshing (and for those that said they were never cleaned, I watched it being done every night and every morning while having my coffee on our balcony building 39 second floor Paraiso side) The resort is always clean or being cleaned by the grounds crew. Remember it’s a big job to keep the resort clean.
For those that complained about there rooms, I have never had an issue with the maid service or the room itself. On one trip we didn’t have a room assigned to us and when they gave us one there was someone in it, so they gave us a suite at no extra charge, yes a full 1 bedroom suite with the managers complements. .
The beach is the best I have ever seen, Turquoise water and white sand again kept clean by the staff. Getting a chair by the pool or the beach with shade can be a bit challenging but get up early and put your towel on one then go for breakfast most returning guests do the same thing and respect that chair being taken. Or do you sleep till noon everyday? its up to you so don’t complain.
The food is something everyone seems to complain about, there is always something there that you can eat the bread is fantastic as is there cheese, omelettes for breakfast are made right in front of you, Valentines day we had all you can eat Lobster. For those of you that say you lost 5 or 10 pounds, is that such a bad thing? most Canadians could lose a few pounds myself included.

Memories is a beautiful resort with friendly staff and a beautiful beach, enjoy a good Cuban cigar with your rum under a star filled sky.

Finally, if you are going to come home and complain about minor things like a missing tile in the bathroom or a dirty floor in your room, burnt out light bulbs, to much noise at the pool or the lobby bar being to busy you need to relax and enjoy what Cuba has to offer. Its your vacation folks, make what you want of it! I don’t think you will be disappointed here

To the staff and management, we had a great time as always and look forward to next February when again we will return to Cayo Santa Maria Cuba.

Wally&Karen

Room Tip: find a resort map online, building 39 pool view is our choice and is close to the pool, beach and b...
20 Thank wally5859
Hello Wally,

thank you very much for your review, I am happy that you proof with your review that we are always cleaning all the areas of the hotel on a daily basis 24 hours.

Warm smiles and friendly service is our policy every day for every guest. Our staff truly cares about all your travel needs making your visit comfortable and memorable.

Milverton, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We spent the week of Feb 14 thru 21st at Memories Paraiso Azul. I'll try to sum up different parts, different experiences.

We upgraded to the Diamond Club, and I strongly recommend NOT doing this, what a waste of money for what we got, I'll explain further in my review.

Our arrival was fine, we were escorted to the Diamond Club room for check in, where we received our room keys, and hitched a ride on a golf cart to our building. Upon using the key to open the door, the room was already occupied...back to the lobby we went, and two hours later they got us into a room. Not the start I was after.

The room that we were put into had two beds (vs the one bed room I had been told we would have). So both beds were pushed together, but honestly we would have been better off sleeping on the floor, I think it would have been more comfortable than the beds.

The housekeeping at the resort was sub standard. We would be gone from our room every day by 7am, and back around 5. 3 of the days we came back to no toilet paper, and had to call, and wait at least an hour each time for someone to arrive. 2 days we returned to only one bath towel, and from my observation, I don't think they gave clean linen each day, it appeared as if they would hang the room towels on the outside railings, and give you whatever they gave you. We once had towels in our room that were makeup stained/covered...and we weren't wearing makeup. On one occasion we had NO towels in the room. I called, an hour later a housekeeper arrived with two hand towels...hardly what we needed. She left and returned 2 hours later with one bath towel.

The room had some sort of small bugs everywhere. Not sure what they were, but I'm glad I brought bug spray, although I thought I'd bring it for us to use, not to use to exterminate the constant things crawling all over everything.

The food was awful. The buffet was usually the same thing, and bland. They seemed to have difficulty keeping food warm. The a la cartes that we went to (Mediterranean and Italian) also disappointed. The Italian, which everyone raved about prior to us going, served the same things as the buffet, only slightly warmer, but still next to no taste to anything. Breakfast was good if you didn't mind waiting in line forever to get an omelette or eggs done up how you wanted them, and the bacon was excellent on the few days that they actually had bacon.

Activities at the resort were sparse. They have a schedule, and we checked it daily, and tried to find/follow it, but it was hit or miss if anything actually happened. We asked one day and were told that the activities had happened on the beach already...although we had been on the beach all day and had just arrived at the pool...trust me, they didn't happen.

The beach is the ONLY glimmering jewel of this resort. I have been to 7 all inclusive resorts in various countries so far, and without a doubt this beach was THE BEST I've ever seen or been on. Whitest sand and bluest clearest water ever! Thank god it was, as it was the only positive of this resort I can think of!

As for the Diamond Club, don't upgrade, it's a waste of money. All we received for it was a 'special' section to sit at in the buffet...which were the exact same tables etc as everyone else, and there was never any issue with seating in the buffet. The 'premium' drink selections they promise to Diamond Club members are only available at the lobby bar, and good luck getting a seat in there ever. The premium drink selection is weak at best. The beach has a Diamond Club section, with servers. That was ok, but it was not policed very well as I have seen at other resorts where I have upgraded, so the area was full of people, many who were not wearing a Diamond Club bracelet.

All in all I am disappointed in this resort. I think I will visit Cuba again, but not to Santa Maria, and definitely not ever again to Memories.

Room Tip: Get into a building near the main lobby or buffet, or else be prepared to walk...a lot...
8 Thank pefd28