“Amazing beach dirty rooms lazy staff”

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
desirico
“Amazing beach dirty rooms lazy staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We just got back yesterday. Stayed there from July 3-10. I have been to a dozen all inclusive places in Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican this by far has had the laziest made service. We didn't have one day of clean bed sheets I think they wash it but don't use bleach because we had blood on our bed sheets numerous times and we complained but would just get more. So check your sheet because they try to hide it. Also most places I've stayed tipping the maid service they would do little things like like make designs with the blankets on your bed or do the rose Pettles in the bath. I even tip the maid $6cuc one day and told her too. Other people on the resort received this service but building 37 was horrible.

Also bring lots of toilet paper and soap the hotels doesn't have this in the public areas and our room we ran out and they said they didn't have any so the next day they have us less than a quarter roll I'm sure it was a used roll from someone else's room.

Food was okay just stick to the fresh stuff they cook for you (pancakes, omlets, pizza, pasta, fries rice) it's the same food everyday so don't have the same stuff everyday or you'll be sick of it. If you like fresh Mangos in the morning get there early as it goes quick. A la carte isn't worth the time as its the exact same food as the buffet but they serve it to you.

Bar service was great and tip the servers well and you'll be taken care of.

The beach grill is good for a quick snack as its a bit of a walk back to the buffet.

The beach is amazing the sand is white and fine as flower. The water is so clear you can be in upto your shoulders and still see your feet. No rocks or shells and its shallow for a long time so it's great for kids. The ocean was rough a few days but not to bad. There was Hammer head Shark that came very close (3 feet away) from a 10yr old kid but it do anything and be was fine. They cleared the beach for awhile. The worker tried to play it off by being a dolphin. Also there were a few barracuda there but they did nothing looked cool though.

Shows at night are nothing greAt. The mosquitoes are crazy we had bug spray and off clip on and were still eaten alive. I was talking to someone and they mentioned they were using a Johnson's natural botanical cream and none of them were bit.

Overall the resort was average and I wouldn't go back and would spend a bit extra for a better resort. The beach is amazing. Dolphin tour was fun and Havana is something you gotta see

• Stayed July 2013
JUAN CARLOS L, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
First of all thanks for reviewing . Each Country you have visited has its own
features and conditions , so comparisons are hard to do , everyone has its
pros and cons . Anyhow I am glad you found some positive points and I do
not lose the hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,917)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went quite prepared after reading as much as I could on tripadvisor. I must say it is an excellent vacation - value for money. The staff at Memories Paraiso are great and they try their best to give us a perfect vacation. Food at the buffet is excellent. I tried the ala carte but went back to the buffet as the choices of food at the buffet are more. The Catamaran excursion and the Jeep Safari are well worth it if you have not tried them yet. We went from Vancouver on Sunwing airline and the flight was about 6.5 hours. We were prepared for the 90 minutes bus ride from the airport to the resort so it was no problem. Thanks to all those who took their time to write so that others can benefit from it. In the same way, I did a video and posted it on youtube for all those who are planning to go there will have a better idea. So here's the link to the youtube video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJImcAqSVKI

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Enric S
Dear Guest ,
A well planned vacation usually often turn out to be the best . Thanks a lot for your Review and also for helping other individuals to enjoy their Holydays . Regretably I could not watch your video uploaded in Youtube , but I am sure it is lovely .
I hope to get the chance to see you again very soon.
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I went with my husband and two kids to this hotel and this was my third time in Cuba for the price that paid was worth it to get out from our daily stress but I will not return there even if I pay the same price because the last day and thanks god was on the last day in the morning when we went to the buffet my husband touch the table cloth on the table and shaked it and when he shaked that there were 5 cockroach underneath the cloth They were running on the floor and the people beside us saw this and my husband told the manager he took note and said don't worry I'll fix that so now we came back to this buffet for lunch and was the last time before the bus come to take us to the airport so we sat down around the table but we choose another one and my husband one more time wanted to see if there is any under this table and yes he shaked it and lots of them came out underneath it looks like the manager didn't do anything. Lots of Mosquitoes especially around 6:30pm and 9:30pm we lost our spray off on the first week so the last week every time we finish our diner we go straight to our room. Food everyday the same morning lunch and diner like that for two weeks same same.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank denise m
JUAN CARLOS L, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Guest ,
About your last day staying downside , please , let me tell you that owing to Resort location , amid wild nature , it could happen some time , is for that that we fumigate twice a day against mosquitoes and all facilities twice a week againts bugs . Even though for health reasons is not possible to fumigate between meal services.

I hope that last day downside not been spoiled the rest of your Holydays , and I get the chance to see you again .
Chateauguay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The beach is the real attraction . It's beautiful, the nicest beach I've ever seen. There are not rocks or coral on the ocean floor. The ocean is a light turquoise and the sand is powder fine and white. You can see the sun raises and sun sets from the beach, SPECTACULAR!!!!
Another plus is that because the resort is so isolated there are no vendors on the beach.

We were expecting less than ideal food, but were nicely surprised. From the a la cart to the buffet restaurants the food wasn't bad at all. Although they still haven't figured out what to serve as side dishes. You'll be alright if you like grilled meats and fish. Bring ketchup, peanut butter, jam and snacks for the kids.

Don't forget to bring your own travel /thermal mugs. The cups that they give you your drinks there are tinny.
We also brought with us an Egg Crate Mattress Pad to put over their very hard and uncomfortable mattress. It was the best idea we have ever had !!

The resort is an old Brarcello's so the rooms are a little dated,but clean. If you can get one with an ocean view, you won't be disappointed.

They're still really nothing to buy, unless you like cheap flea markets items ,cigars and rum.
But bring cash to tip the staff. I was surprised to see that they willingly take any tips you give them,from Canadian, to Euros to even American dollars.
A few years ago you could only bring small items and clothing to leave the cleaning staff. No one else would accept tips.... not the case anymore. I brought a few cosmetics and toiletries for my cleaning lady which she was so grateful . but then I found my self getting money so I could tip the rest of the staff.

But don't forget to keep 25 pesos for each person in cash. You'll need it to leave the country. We also bought the VIP pass and would do it again. Well worth it. We were in a faster line on arrival at the airport and got a breakfast in a comfortable lounge area.

All in all I would go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. It's amazing.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank GlowaChateauguay
Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Memories Parasio Beach Resort from Jan 8 to Jan 22, 2013. It is a little out of the way but the bus rides were comfortable and efficient.

It is a terrific resort with the most wonderful and safe beach we have ever seen. The people are very friendly, the food is good and the rooms clean and spacious. Entertainment was fun in the lounges as well as in the large auditorium. There are tours you can take of you can just rest and relax! This is a sister resort to the adjacent Memories Azul resort; and all facilities of both resorts are accessible to guests from either resort.

We had difficulty finding our room initially as there are a few buildings without signage, and we arrived in the middle of the night. Our "ocean view" room only provided a small partial view of the ocean. The last "complaint" was that the air conditioning did not remove humidity from the room and everything was damp. I am not sure if this is a system malfunction or a Cuban design.

The staff were terrific and we developed some very good relationships with them while we were there. We tipped moderately as well as provided some "gifts" that seemed to be very much appreciated.

We would definitely return again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark N
Dear Mark ,
Thanks a lot for your Review . Be sure , we are worling hard every so that your next stay even be better and do away with small downsides you found.

If any further question would arise , please , feel free to contact me at any time , to my e-mail
adress : director.paraiso@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Paraiso was a wonderful resort! The staff are friendly and willing to help with anything needed. The buffet had lots of choices- the only downfall would be not enough healthy choices.
Overall, I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Resey24
JUAN CARLOS L, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest ,
Big Thanks for your nice Review . Wonderful Resort for a Wonderful People . Of course I hope to see you soon , and for any question or request , feel free to contact me , at any time , at : director.paraiso@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu.
Innisfil, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

As all of you have done, I went on to Trip advisor to check this hotel out and try to read between the lines. And even with the very mixed reviews we booked our Vacation for October 23rd to October 30th, 2012. Most of the complaints were about food and having been to Cuba two previous times, I know that although the food quality is not the same as we consider 4 and 5 stars in Canada, we have always been able to find food we enjoy.

So first of all, we checked in before we even boarded the buses at the airport. Yes, it is a line up to get on the buses but you’re on vacation so take the opportunity to buy a couple of cheap cervesas to wait it out. The trip was approx 1 hour and 45 minutes but as we landed at noon, we had a chance to check out the landscape and a few of the towns that that we passed through and were able to get a glimpse of daily Cuban life. The bus had a washroom and they sold beer (more expensive than the vendors at the airport but still reasonable) so it was a pleasant and even fun ride!

Our luggage was brought directly to our room and seeing as we had our bathing suits in our carry-on bags we were able to hit the beach right away. It was super windy but we were able to enjoy some jumping in the waves but too many waves for snorkeling. They have a buffet and restaurant closer to the beach and we enjoyed it as they had fresh grilling stations as well. The pool near this one had a swim up bar and a volleyball net and tonnes of lounge chairs. You can change your towels as many times in one day that you want which is nice and convenient.

Unfortunately Day 2 we were hit by Hurricane Sandy and were stuck inside all day. The next day was not nice either. Fortunately each room had a big umbrella conveniently located in the closet so we were able to get to the buffet without getting soaked.

We really enjoyed the food at Memories. As with any buffet, it does get repetitive but there was definitely enough selection that you did not have to have the same thing every meal. At breakfast they had a lady making fruit smoothies which was a great way to start the morning. The cappuccinos were amazing. They always had a wonderful selection of breads, cheese and cold cuts to choose from. One night they had stuffed lobster tails on the buffet (ok) and the next night they had steamed lobsters on the buffet that you could get them to grill for you! Amazing! They had a variety of desserts and ice cream available but my fave was when they made this banana desert…freshly cooked with sugar and cinnamon and syrup… SO Yummy!

A la cartes- we went to 3 of them. 1st was the Italian – we had the beef bourginon (sp?) and it was fabulous! 2nd was Mediterranean… it was AWFUL!! I said to my husband at one point…just because you put olives on the top of something does not make it Mediterranean.. 3rd was the Gourmet. It was good…. Lobster again… although I preferred the buffet lobster that we had grilled.

Drinks were good here… the slushie machines worked well which is important for these resort drinks. I just made sure to tell them a Little bit of rum, vodka, tequila, etc. They pour generously and so it is too easy to get intoxicated quickly which is never fun to be drunk and waste precious vacation time sick in your room.

When the sun finally showed itself again, we really took advantage of as much pool time as possible. The other main pool area is right beside the kids club. This was the pool we ended up spending most of our time at as it was the family pool and more kids were there which was great for my 6 and 8 year old children. There is a little wading pool and a little pool that a giant frog statue pours water from his mouth into it. There is also a play structure with swings for the kids. The bar is attached to the pool but not a swim up one…which just means less people sitting in the pool drinking all day and never leaving their chairs…..if you know what I am saying! Ewww! They have music playing…. Contemporary/pop’ but almost all Spanish… which is just fine with me. At one point though a Pit Bull song came on and my son got into the pool’s edge that is kinda like a water stage and entertained the crowd! Got a standing ovation! LOL!
The bartender at the pool bar was awesome…. Made drinks as strong or weak as you wanted them. Awful with names but other reviews have mentioned him as well!
The animator at this pool was named Yanni and she was great!! My kids just LOVED her!!!! She really did her job well and made you feel welcome!! She has a son who would be 6 now… tall boy and his name is Christopher. He LOVES getting Swag from Mom’s work!! Every person we gave anything to was VERY appreciative of what we gave!!
As for the daycare, my kids did not really like it…. Because it was more like a daycare rather than a kids club…. But the younger kids club animator…Marisol? Did a great job at kids disco! Though one thing they really liked is one of the 11year old guests was celebrating a birthday at the resort and they had a whole party for her in the kids club. It was lots of fun. They played games, danced, did face painting, a caricature artist was doing pictures for all the guests and they had cake and ice cream for everyone! They definitely made the little girl feel special and that was awesome!

The resort is huge so there are carts going around all the time picking up people to bring them to their rooms or buffets or to the Pueblo. On the nicer days the streets of the pueblo were lined with local artists. This is where we bought most of our souvenirs…and a couple in the resort’s souvenir shop. Just a warning… the airport is very small and although they have a few souvenirs…do not rely on getting everything there or you will be disappointed. Having been to Holguin the year before…the airport had lots to offer so that was what I was expecting here…and it wasn’t the case and I just had to settle on some souvenirs so be warned.

The rooms were basic but nice and the bedroom bathrooms were some of the nicest bathrooms we had experienced in our 3 visits to Cuba.

As for the beach, well it was a mess from the Hurricane but from what we could tell it would have been beautiful if the weather was different. Guess we will have to go back to give it a fair chance! And believe me we would go back. I think first we will check out Varadero….but we love Cuba and I have no doubt we will be back to Cayo Santa Maria sometime in the future and more than likely Memories Azul Beach Resort Cayo Santa Maria!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Memories Varadero
Grand Memories Varadero
#34 of 63 in Varadero
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,931 reviews

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!