“Awesome time!”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome time!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My friends and I just got back from Memories and it was really great. There were definitely some issues but overall the experience was fantastic. I'll divide up the review into categories so it's easier to read:

Resort in general: BIG and kind of confusing the first day but you get used to it really quickly. The beach is about a 5-10 minute walk but totally worth it. There's also a market that sells little souvenirs. It's really cute.

Beach: BEAUTIFUL...what else can I say? The sand was white, extremely clean, and little grill stations where you can get some of the best food on the resort. It was difficult getting shade so get up early and reserve a spot!

Pool: very clean, very big, not too deep! Again, it was difficult getting shade so GET UP EARLY!

Food: average, but hey, it's Cuba. It wasn't disgusting or anything, in fact it was pretty decent! I definitely recommend getting any meat from the guys who are grilling, it tastes a hundred times better than the stuff in the buffet bins. The food is somewhat bland but it wasn't a big deal. Make sure you bring your own ketchup and hot sauce! None there. Also, go to the grill stations on the beach, they are AMAZING...the pancakes and chicken sandwiches are to die for. We didn't end up doing the A La Cartes because we were told we had to pay for them...we found out only later that there were 3 included...as you will read below, 'service' was the only real issue we had.

Drinks: bring a Bubba mug, the cups are tiny. Bartenders are definitely not shy about loading your drink with alcohol so if you're like me and don't want to black out after your first 3 drinks, make it a point to tell them "Please only add a little alcohol."

Rooms: extremely clean! The maids were fantastic!

Service: Biggest issue. It seems that if you need something there are about 4 people who try to help but become super confused. We had a problem with the bathtub tap in our room (would not stop running water) and had to switch rooms but it took a day and a couple hours to get that all sorted out. Language is definitely a barrier so just be patient.

Entertainment: During the day the entertainment staff are hard at work. They are great and the activities are really fun! The nightlife entertainment is just alright, pretty much a theatre show and the disco. The only time the disco is busy seems to be Fridays and Saturdays.

Party resort?: Not really, it seemed like most of the young people arrived May 1st but before that, mostly just families.

I had a really great time with my friends here and definitely recommend it. Just keep in mind that it is Cuba so you should only have certain expectations for the resort. Also, tip them generously because the employees literally live off the tips we give them.

3 Thank blendermixx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,928)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Four of us went April 20-27 and had a great time! Sure the resort isn't perfect but what is in life? We didn't leave the buffet hungry, drinks were good, room was clean and the people friendly! We did the Mediterranean a la carte and the Cuban one. Both were good. A little disappointed they ran out of soup at the Mediterranean but not the end of the world.
Beach was awesome like everyone says!
I read the reviews before I left and took them with a grain of salt. But a lot of people had good advice.
I would definately go back and would recommend to friends!

Room Tip: We stayed at 61 which is close the adult pool and beach which we liked. But a far walk to the buffe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angr0n
Oscar M, Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Mr/Mrs, many thanks for your opinion and take time to post it. We really appreciate and we will take properly measure to improve.
We hope you come back soon to aour Memories Azul Hotel.

Best regards
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The beach is awesome, the high sea fishing was really cool we caught 5 barracudas... that was nice.... The resort is beautiful the pool is very big... the resort is clean and well kept... The service is not good.... tu many people at the same place = NO SERVICE!!! THE FOOD WAS HORRIBLE... No ketchup no mustard no mayonnaise.... Little bug in plates at the buffet... Restaurants italian is good and mediteranean was good.... the rest horrible... i never ate food like this in vacacion before.... i will never return at this hotel!!! Not a 5 star is a 3 star TOP!!!

Room Tip: Bloc 52 is near to beach and pool... very good emplacement
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Wanting a nice getaway after exams, my friend and I booked a week long stay at Memories Azul back in February for the last week of April 2013. When looking at different locations my friend (who had been down south many times and once before at Memories Azul in February 2012) said that there was "something about this place". She gushed over how sandy and beautiful the beach was. SHE WASN'T EXAGGERATING! Because we had very specific dates in mind (it had to fit between exams the beginning of summer jobs) we booked well in advance and ended up over-paying. None-the-less, we had the most relaxing and wonderful vacation!

The worst part of our vacation was definitely an obnoxious, outspoken man sitting at the pool for a whole day, stopping anyone who would listen and complaining about his toilet- hey man, stuff happens- get over yourself!

I had been warned about the food in Cuba and must say- it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. I would get Calamari and fish fried right in front of me at the Grill almost everyday for lunch. The a la carta restaurants were superb- especially the lobster and the italian. One of the extra excursions offered by the hotel; "Havana by Plane" is a day trip to the capital that includes a tour and some free time of old Havana, 'modern' havana, a great indoor flea market and lunch at La Pastora Divina restaurant. This excursion was definitely the high-light of our stay. It cost about 180 Canadian dollars- well worth it!

On another note, my friend would often say that she was impressed by how much the place had improved in the past year,especially coordinating check-in. I just want to say that we really enjoy ourselves, although we wish that the Spa prices had been a little more affordable and the disco didn't have a cover. The evening entertainment is a work in progress yet very charming. As long as you aren't an arrogant loser, and you don't have Canadian standards for water pressure in your toilets- you could have the most charming and relaxing vacation at this resort. I was able to make friends with several wonderful Cubans who worked on the resort and hope to come back in the future and take them up on their offer to visit their homes. The genuine, friendly staff at Memories Azul, as well as the breath-taking sun-sets on the beach (see photo) were definitely my two favourite things about this place:)

Room Tip: Apartament 51 was ideal! So close to the pool, the lobby, the Grill, the entrance to the beach!
1 Thank vacationer751
Oscar M, Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Mr/Mrs, you are so kind describing your review, Memories Azul family waiting for you next vacation. Let me tell you we will follow working hard to improve in our services.

Many thanks
ottawa
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I just came back from Memories Azul (Diamond Club) and I really enjoyed my stay as the beach was fantastic and the weather was great for the 2 weeks I was there! I paid $1000 less ($1500 vs $2500) than the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana (which is really fantastic, no cons) so I cannot criticize this resort too much. You have to understand that Cuba is a communist country and poor. On the up side, the Cuban staff/people are so warm and friendly that you always want to return to Cuba to see them.

P.S. If you can, bring stuff for the staff as they really have a hard time getting toys, clothing and medication (tylenol, pepto bismal etc...). I gave one of my waitresses tylenol, cold/allergy pills and an extra 10 pesos (last day) and I gave another server 10 pesos (she bought shoes for her 4 year old son). I heard that the tips (CUC pesos) that you give the servers have to be exchanged at their banks for real Cuban pesos and they only get a percentage back 30 or 40% and the Communist government gets the rest.

Pros: beach, pool, weather, staff, ocean view rooms

Food: Good but not as much variety as in Punta Cana but the rice, chicken, pork, fish, fries, veggies and fruits, wine and beer were really good. Difficult to get salt & pepper, spoons and there is no bacon, peanut butter, ketchup and maple syrup for breakfast. Eggs were good though! We found that the food was hotter in the sister resort Memories Paraiso (because of the renovations?)

Cons:

1. Rooms (Azul side not freshly painted so the walls were a little dirty but the bed, washrooms and floor were very clean).
2. Diamond Club: not worth it here unless you want to drink premium drinks in the Club lounge and want a bathrobe.
3. Airport transfer is at least 1 1/2 hour or more depending on traffic. Nice scenery during the day on the ocean causeway.
4. Nice pool and beach but difficult to get a place in the shade at peak times unless you reserve it around 4 or 5 am.
5. They seem to run out of certain items like beer, wine or orange juice and some fruits but it is Cuba and they do have issues with importing goods.

Would I recommend this resort? Yes, if the price is a really good deal!

Room Tip: Choose a room in block 55 or 61 for oceanview rooms (2nd or 3rd floor) or block 57 or 59 for pool vi...
1 Thank divadidi
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Was there week of apr 13 this resort is big, we arrived and no one greets you let alone give you a map to find room.
BEWARE DIAMOND CLUB NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!!
We asked for king size bed got two twins, tried to change room but seemed to be an inconvenience to them so never happened.
The food , if you want to call it that ,was totally disgusting.
Lucky to have salt or pepper and no other condiments.
Would never return here!!!!!!!!
Property lacks shade at pool or beach

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Roblenore

Travelers are raving about these Cayo Santa Maria hotels

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from April 23-30. Overall it was a great trip, and would go back. We were sold on the beach, I have been to many beaches down south and this has to be the best by far, just stunning! We really liked how they gave you your room key and checked you in on the bus, therefore you could head straight to the beach when you got there, no waiting in lines. Resort was very clean, staff are friendly to. One issue we had was with the staff at the pool bar, seemed to be not enough of them, so very hard to get a drink. Lobby bar was excellent! A la cartes were good, Italian was our favourite! Buffets were average, always something to eat, calamari was our favourite... remember you are in Cuba not Canada. Bring condiments if you are a person who can't live with out ketchup. Oh another tiny complaint is that there "slushy" drinks (strawberry dac., piña coladas, etc..) were liquid. Maybe the machines couldn't keep the mix cold enough? Not sure. I'm use to going away an having them throw whole bananas into a blender. But this was definitely not a huge issue. Pools were great to, warm and clean. Overall we would go back to this resort just because the beach was breathe taking! Price was right And weather was great ! Recommend it as long as your not one of those picky people who have nothing better to do then complain.

• Stayed April 2013