“Reminders” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Vancouver, Canada
“Reminders”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Bring your own drinking mugs. It will save them money on cups and save the environment AND most important, they hold more booze!

Bring bug spray with DEET? I left there with many bites from the last couple of days of our trip (April 18-25). I'm thinking "midges" or "no see ums" in the beach sand and mosquitoes on 2 nights in the lobby bar.

There is no adult only pool so many kids atthe swim up bars... Just doesnt seem right considering there are many pools. I think the deepest parts are about 4feet.

Bring lots of sunscreen! The UV must be super high since many people using 30 still got burned.

Get up early to enjoy the day and if you want a shade spot. Please be courteous and only reserve at the beach OR the pool. Remember, mama taught you to share! Lol - there's not alot of nightlife at these resorts (Azul and Paraiso). The night club is lame as not many people go. There is a cover charge.

Brought an adapter to charge my camera but NO need. Normal plugs work in theirs.

Pay the money and do the full day catamaran with snorkelling, lunch and dolphin interaction. Many colourful fish, a decent lunch and a beautiful day out on the water. When we went, it was not wavy, At all! Smooth ride with music and free flowing booze. Was even kissed byvabdolphin! Twice!

Why people go on vacation resorts to destroy property? I'll never understand... And maybe it is hard to keep up such a big resort in perfect condition, but I still appreciated the beauty of it all!

THE MOST AMAZING BEACH EVER! Clean, clear, weed free, softest sand and warm water. All this with a perfect breeze and swaying palm trees.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Its a big resort. Be ready to walk. We were in #31 which was perfectly close to everything.
2 Thank agenomatter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,898)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Myself & my boyfriend just returned from a beautiful week in the sun at Memories Paraiso! We don't have many complaints about this location, that's for sure. The hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are modern & spacious, and the beach is absolutely stunning. This was my 4th trip to Cuba, and I was not disappointed. The only "complaint" I have--which is due to being a spoiled Canadian-- is that there weren't any condiments to be found. I've been to Cayo Santa Maria & Varadero more than once and didn't run into this issue before. If you're going, and you can't live without ketchup, salad dressings, etc.. I highly recommend you bring them with you. Normally I pack those things, but decided not to bother this trip because I always found what I needed on previous vacations.

The staff at this location are very sweet people. I personally love the Cuban people & go there with the understanding that things aren't perfect there and it's hard to import goods. If you go with a "roll with the punches" attitude, you'll be perfectly fine. I did find that other fellow Canadians were extremely rude & short with the staff, which was off-putting. Live by the golden rule, folks! Be kind to others and you will receive it in return.

We did run into a day where the entire resort ran out of running water. This wasn't a HUGE issue, but it did make for some inconveniences. They did their best & it was resolved in 24 hours. It certainly did not ruin our trip by any means.

We stayed in building 40 & it was perfect. The little tourist town is literally right outside your door, and everything else is very close by. I was very happy with our location! They had lots of entertainment & activities on the beach and at the pool. If you like taking part in those things, you'll be very happy. It wasn't very difficult finding a spot in the shade by the pool or beach either. It's the same with most locations though, the earlier you go the better chance you get at finding something.

Overall, we loved our stay. I would definitely go back and the only thing I'd change is bringing some ketchup! :)

Room Tip: Bulding 40 is directly next to the tourist town, and very close to the pool/ grill. Perfect spot!
1 Thank lcmaz
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This resort is not a 5 Star, I will be kind and say maximum 3 star.

We booked this trip in January, paid full price and went to the resort April 18th to 25th. Myself & my husband traveled with another couple. We had purchased an upgraded package that included a room upgrade and diamond service. I have traveled to Cuba before so I had no preconceived notion on food, but did expect a clean bed and room at minimum.

Good points, staff (with exception of reception and sunwing rep) were friendly. Food, while limiting (ran out at the grill on numerous occasions) was ok not exceptional. Beach was Beautiful and the best part of the resort.

ISSUES

 No Check in pre-packaged
 No Personalized service at check-in
 Request for 1 King Bed not considered
 Rude Front Desk Service, none accommodating
 Rude – obnoxious Sunwing Rep (almost threatening in tone)
 Had to drag our bags through the resort and up 3 floors
 No water in room for two days
 Toilet didn’t work, was told it would be addressed (we had to fix ourselves)
 Shower liner had four inch ring of mole & mildew
 Shower rod was rusty
 Room cleaning was less than adequate, dirty glasses left in room for days, dirty & stain towels, dirty toilet ...
 No VIP Welcome Cocktail
 No Exclusive lunch at a la carte in an air conditioned restaurant private area at the beach
 No Premium amenities in the room
 No Paella Picnic lunch
 No Bathrobes
 Violently sick from Lobster dinner
 Combined “Bites” for husband and myself excessive with swelling, itchy, irritation.
 Blood stain/trail by another guest in our unit for three days creating a biohazard
 Overall conditions of resort was deplorable, unsanitary, and dysfunctional, Broken lighting, broken toilets, chipped plates.
 Other guests indicated similar issues, one group had to have room fumigated

Would recommend Cuba, would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aprilsun18
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

BACKGROUND: Family of 13 (7 kids between the ages of 1 - 7). We travel every year to the Caribbean. Been to Varadero 2 years ago. Some members have also been to Cayo Coco just a few months ago. We didn't expect great food as we knew what we were getting into. :D

GOOD: Beach, beach, beach! Cleanest I've ever seen. No motorized water sports allowed so that helps to keep the beach really clean. NO seaweeds either unless on those days that the waves were a bit too strong (April 20 - 27, full moon towards the last few days). Red flags on some days, but we still swam with the kids and enjoyed a few waves. Got great pics too!

We were worried about mosquitoes/sand fleas, but my family didn't get attacked by them. Some members from our group did get a few bites despite our bug spraying every nite. Also, my niece got bitten around the eye area and it was swollen for a day and a half. :( My sister-in-law also got a bad rash on the left side of her face so if you have skin allergies, make sure to bring your medication/lotion.

BAD: FOOD! You won't go hungry that's for sure, but even in the a la carte restaurants, the menus were repetitive. I'm Asian. I'm the LEAST picky type of all eaters as I eat pretty much anything. lol That's saying something! The best a la carte restaurant was the Seafood one - served lobster and good soup! Bring ketchup and table syrup. Peanut butter & jam. You won't find any at Memories Azul. Also, I don't understand why you have to ask for a spoon/teaspoon. The servers HIDE them which was just bizarre! It was annoying to constantly ask them when you grab ice cream for the kids. Seriously, this was ridiculous!

The bartender at the Swim Up Bar was one of the rudest Cubans I've ever encountered. Apparently. he ran out of plastic cups and stopped serving people at one point. Most of the workers from this resort seemed disgruntled. You can count a few who are nice and say, "Hola" all the time. I've been to Varadero and the workers there were much more welcoming.

Their version of bacon = fried ham, and I mean the deli kind. It WASN'T bacon. According to the manager, this IS bacon. Again, I don't know if this is a Cayo Santa Maria thing coz the bacons in Varadero taste exactly like Maple Leaf's bacon. lol

Other than that, the room itself was clean, but there was a constant "washroom" odour wafting from our balcony or coming from our washroom even if we keep the door closed. ROOM 5332. If you eat at the 24-hour snack bar, do not sit close to the washrooms if you want to keep a healthy appetite.

OVERALL: I was not as satisfied as I thought I was going to be. The fact that we had to wake up at 4:30 am to catch the bus at 5:30 to go to the airport didn't help matters either. DO NOT pick the Saturday package that's 6am - 9:30, coming back at 10:35 - 2pm. You'll need another day just to rest as you won't be getting any sleep unless you plan your time wisely. Sunwing seemed disorganized at YYZ. The plane ride however was fine, meals were served, snacks were offered. Paid $830 and I know I had a better Cuban vacation experience at Varadero for less than that.

Good luck!

Room Tip: Building 53 was central to everything so are 51 & 52.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hyacinth79
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent the additional money to upgrade to the Diamond Club after looking at the list of promised extra amenities. We were promised Personalized Check In Service. What we got was an envelope with our bracelets, room keys and pre booked ala carte dining tickets. Not even directions to our room. Our room was fine but there were no robes (as stated in the description), after the first morning we never got another bathmat or a third towel in spite of repeated requests. Getting an extra bottle of water was often met with eye rolling or passing of the buck "it's not my job." There was a private beach area but it was not any better than the other beach areas, the 'Beach Butler Service' was spotty. There was premium liquor available to us but it had to be specifically requested - not automatically used with our bracelets visible.
I did speak on numerous times to the front desk staff, the management, the Sunwing Employees as well as the Diamond Club concierge. The latter did try to assist us with some of our complaints but said she received push back from management and that my requests just weren't going to happen. Very disappointing.
The beaches are among the loveliest I've ever seen. The resort was lovely and if we hadn't spent additional money on the upgrade, we would have been mostly satisfied with the amenities and lodging (though not the attitude of the staff).
We did speak to other Diamond Club members and they had similar experiences. We also spoke to others at the Airport who had been at other hotels who would return in a nanosecond - they couldn't say enough about their stay.
Our two excursions - The Catamaran with Dolphin Encounter and the Cuban Dinner were both amazing and I totally recommend them both.
I would like to give Cuba another try but not again at the Memories group of hotels.

1 Thank Lori H
Garibaldi Highlands, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I...first time soooo two weeks was perfect.
Resort in general was very good...food ? average..not disappointing!
Room....clean...cool and plenty of water.
Room service...chambermaids were personal and pleasant all the time...we fell in love with one in particular !!!
Trip to Havanna...so interesting...all the history and the people !!
Taxi to small towns (Carieameia ??& Ramerious ??(spelling) was absolutely fascinating!!
Got to meet a local couple in Carieameia ? spelling ? and they were so interesting and Jola ! they called us at home day after we returned ! how cool was that ...
Sadly ..they left us their ph. # but not the area code for their town ?? any ideas ??

Room Tip: Get to know your chambermaids...they help make you feel appreciated. Top floor was perfect for my w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I read the reviews on this property for months as we were first going to go in December. We finally made it April 18 to 25th and enjoyed it very much. As reported, the bus ride from the airport is long, but enjoyable. I liked that they give you an envelope with your room keys and hotel map so you really don't need to do anything to check in but go to your room. We hit the beach right away. It is absolutely spectacular. Either my partner or I had been to Veradero, Holguin, Mexico, Hawaii, Jamaica, Venezuela, Dominican, Europe, and Australia and I have to say this is the best beach by far - amazing clear warm turquoise water and white sand like icing sugar. I burn easily so also was disappointed that people hogged the shade with their stuff and didn't show up most of the day, but my partner fixed up a shade with another chair and a towel for me and this worked well as I didn't have to sit right beside others under the main shade. Most of the chairs by the pool were also hogged, but we couldn't understand why anyone would come here and sit by the pool when the beach is so great. They also played very loud boom-boom music at the pool which I hated, and hated that I could even hear the bass booming from our room, but thankfully it generally quit around 5:00. I wouldn't want a room near the theatre as that was very loud too, only at night.

I understand others have complained about cleanliness and room upkeep. We had no problems. The maids were excellent and even folded our clothes. We always had fresh towels. There was plenty of hot water and good water pressure. There were no bugs.

Having been to Cuba before, I was prepared for bland food and not much choice, but was pleasantly surprised. I love fish and seafood and the choices were a delight. We had smoked salmon, calamari, clams, mussels, huge prawns, as well as several kinds of fish every day. It was always different and the Paraiso side often had different choices as well, so we usually shopped both buffets. I never bothered to line up for the cooked to order food as there were so many choices at the buffet. It is good to go early for best selection, although they do replenish, so if something is out, just wait a while. We didn't find out that there was a breakfast buffet right near our room until the end of the trip. We laughed when people on the bus back to the airport said they couldn't wait to go to McDonalds. If that is your idea of good food, then you probably won't like the food here.

I was disappointed with the Sunwing orientation, as they didn't tell us about a lot of things at the hotel, but rather just wanted to sell tours.

I was supposed to be working on line as I had done in Cuba before, but do not expect internet here. I was able only to send a few e-mails with my $12 per hour internet card and some days it did not work at all.

Most people in the reviews say that Diamond Club isn't worth it, so we didn't get it, but I wish we had. We had 2nd floor ocean view, but people with Diamond Club were up higher. They also have a separate lounge which would be good as it is sometimes hard to get served in the lobby. Their special beach area isn't great, though; we liked being down at the end by the reef where we watched fish. The Diamond Club people had 4 Al la cartes all booked for them, while we got three and had to line up to book.

As far as al a cartes go, I probably wouldn't bother again, except for the lobster one, which was great.

I enjoyed the cats, but can understand that some people don't like them. As my partner said, though, if they didn't have cats hanging around, can you imagine what else might be?

Most of the servers and staff were excellent; they work very hard and are always pleasant. Some of the guests are not, but overall, considering the amount of booze consumed I was pleasantly surprised. People were generally quiet, friendly, polite and having fun.

I would probably return to this resort as it is a good deal for the money. I prefer Cuba to Mexico as you are never hassled to buy stuff; Cubans are so warm and polite, and everything runs on time, in my experience.

As a side note, I did buy the VIP lounge for the airport on return and thought it was well worth it. Next time I would also get the wider leg room seats on the plane. But that's just me; my partner didn't feel any of those things are worth it, so it depends on your own comfort needs.

Room Tip: Next time I would get ocean front in bldg 55 or 61. 61 is far away from everything and a long walk...
2 Thank Laura J
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort
The Villas at Sunset Lane
The Villas at Sunset Lane
#6 of 15 in St. John's

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!