“Wonderful staff and fab beach”

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
“Wonderful staff and fab beach”
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I found this resort had everything a person could want and all you had to do was ask. It's a huge resort but there is always a ride if you get tired. Bus ride is long but worth it to enjoy this beach. Bring your own cups (insulated) for convenience and remember the staff lives on their tips in the off season and the wait staff do not share tips with the cooks and kitchen staff so be generous if you can. Bring Canadian money but exchange it before you tip with it as it is difficult for staff to exchange and no American at all (I saw this more than once and you might as well give monopoly money). Use your imagination at the buffet and enjoy the restaurants. Loved the Italian! Would definitely recommend this resort! Only odd thing was some missing toilet seats hmmmmm :)

• Stayed March 2013
8 Thank jacmoor
Marco-Mazzucchelli, General Manager at Memories Paraiso Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Many thanks for prefer Memories Paraiso and for describe your vacation on
Trip Advisor.

At the moment, all the public restrooms have been repaired.

It is a great satisfaction for us to know that you have such nice memories
regarding your stay and we hope you will return next season.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,927)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after a long flight and long transfer. Checked-in quickly and got to the room, which was clean and with a nice pool view.

The beach was beautiful, better than expected. The pools were clean and large and the activities one, just in front at the grill, has a very lively ambient during afternoon, with music and games.

Food was ok; I have always found something of my liking.

The bar selection was great. Most bartenders were able to make whatever you wanted.

The staff for the most part was friendly. I never experienced the whole "tip me or I won't serve you" attitude that is seen elsewhere.

4 Thank Sarah J
Many thanks for choose Memories Paraiso and for post a review on Trip Advisor.

Your words of satisfaction are the best reward to our efforts and an incentive to
keep working diligently.

We hope that Memories Paraiso will be your first option if you will decide to return
to Cuba.
toronto
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We just arrived very late last night so this review is hot off the presses! We travelled to this hotel from March 14-21, 2013. Upon arrival at the airport, we were surprised to have our room card and dinner reservation 'tickets' handed to us as we were getting on the hotel shuttle. That was amazing. The drive on the causeway was long but we loved going through the small towns. Anyways, here are some notes on our trip:
The Room
Our room wasn't great (door card didn't work and back door couldn't lock) plus, it was not very bright or clean so we asked for a better room and got one which was great. This room had a great location (close to beach, pool and pool towel area and restaurants) and for the most part, was quiet (Rm 5337).
The Weather
The weather wasn't great when we arrived (VERY windy and on the cold side) so the water was very rough and cold. This didn't bode well with me but that's the chance you take as you can't guarantee how the weather will be. Wore our long sleeved tops, sweaters to dinner which drove me bonkers. The next day, although still a bit chilly, was more sunny but the water was still rough and cold. Then, thank GOODNESS, the cold front left and the weather was hot which was lovely.
The Food
Not great. Not much variety, especially for breakfast. Not sure who has salads for breakfast but this is what they had and it was relatively untouched in the morning however, cereal choices were sparse (1 or maybe 2 to chose from) and you need a steak knife to cut the pancakes (if this was available). The grill at the beach had great burgers and my goodness do those guys work hard in the heat. We had some a la carte dinners (just 2) and our fav. was at Memories Paraiso where they had an incredible Cuban band with dancers. It was more the ambience of the dinner that made it so special (the food was ok).
Entertainment
Cuban music is my favourite and really wished the hotel offered this option to people that may not like to hear rock/pop tunes. Cuban musician are phenomenal. One night, we heard the best band ever and danced all night. The lobby would sometimes have a trio/quartet that played latin music but it would be nice if they could have an place for people that don't want to see the shows or listen to 'western' music later in the evening. I do have to say the dancers/singers/m.c's work hard.
Beach/Pool
Our biggest beef was that the resort allows people to reserve beach/pool chairs with their towel. It was SOOOO hard to find a shaded area for our kids on the beach or in the pool.
Beverages
You can't get mojito's at every bar. If you want one, you have to find out where they are made and you will need to walk over to get it. Same with mango juice and sometimes, pina colada's.
Departure Tax
Why we missed this info. I have no idea how we didn't hear this but please save your Convertible Pesos as you need to pay $25 per person (including kids) when upon departure at the airport. It must be in their currency.

We would def. go back to Cuba but venture to another part of the country next time.

6 Thank harvwil2004
Halifax
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Ignore the negative reviews about this resort and go with an open mind. We stayed at Memories Azul Beach Resort from March 10-17th and had a wonderful time. My husband and I were on our honeymoon but also tagged it along with the March break as we really wanted to include my son. We've both been to Cuba before in Varadero and enjoyed it there but the beach here on Cayo Santa Maria are unbelieveable! Like silk between your toes! The water was the most amazing turquoise and most days it was liek warm bath water. My 8 year old son had the time of his life riding the waves!
From the time we checked-in until the time we left the staff always went above and beyond. Yes you may need to ask for things and be patient (they were probably scremed at seconds before you walked up) but if you show them respect and be friendly to them, you'll get it back ten fold. We requested an oceanview in building 55, while this can't be guarenteed, we got it. We had no problem with waiting for 3 hours while the room was cleaned and fliped for us. It was worth it and we got a chance to learn the lay of the land while we waited. Building 55 was perfect for us! We woke up to an incrediable view of the ocean everyday!! And every night you could enjoy the sound of the waves crashing, This building was close to the beach (a path right beside it that tok you down to the Diamond club section of the beach. It was close to the sports bar, both pools and a short walk to the lobby and main buffet.

Our room was very clean, we had fresh towels almost every day except for one and as soon as we asked we got them. Our room fridge was re-stocked everyday with what we wanted. We left a tip and note and we got what we asked for. He usually came around 3-5pm each day. Our balcony door lock broke twice and was quickly fixed. I was amazed that we never seen a bug of any sort in our room the whole time - this is my 5th time south and you always see some. The maid always maintained our room really nice. Always smelled fresh and clean.

The food was what we expected. If I want high class cuisine, I will eat find it here at home the other 51 weeks of the year. I brought black pepper with us and that was perfect. We usualy had an amazing omellete each morning to start our day with fresh cut pineapple and a delicious cappicinno! Lunch time we usually had the grilled chicken breast with peppers stuffed with rice or pasta with ingrediants we picked (tomoatoes, peppers, onions, cheese, garlic)...yum! My son would have a pizza personally made to his liking or pasta. And dinner we got to enjoy the Italian, seafood and medeterrain restaurant. If we hit the buffett we would have chicken or white fish. We discovered some amazing cheese the second last day during dinner time on the buffet and took a plate back to our room to have with our wine.

Drinks were great! Bring a bubba or enjoy the cold beer in the cans. My son would indugle in cold lemonade each day. Lots of bottled water available, again just ask for it.

I can say enough about the staff!! Super happy, friendly and always wanting to accomdate. They made my son's trip so amazing for him, they would stop and give him high-five and really take interest in what he was doing. There are gof carts to pick you up and take you wherever you want to go in the resort or over to the Market. They were fantastic!

The pools were super clean. We almost always found a chair around the pool, the odd day was difficult, but no different then any other resort. We onlty went to the theatre once was was great, super fun entertainment.

The market is worth going into, lots of vendors (I would guess about 50 tables, cheap prices) We also went to the Japanese restaurant in the market which was so good!! You book it in the lobby for $10 and $5 for children, it includes salad, soup, main, desert and drinks! Very tasty and fun great staff!

I would go back in a heartbeat! Once you leave your high expectations home and embrace the sun, heat, beach and truly happy people you will have an amazing time. We came back and looked right online for the near future to go back. we really want to try the adults only resort, it looks beautiful!!

Have fun!!

Room Tip: Building 55 top floor. I think 51 and 53 would be my next choice or 33 on the other side (Paraiso)
5 Thank LivingLifeFull2012
Halifax, Canada

Hola!
Visited this awesome resort March 14-21st.Flew with Sunwing...upgraded to Elite(not worth it really) had no additional leg room.Service we great anyway,no issues with Sunwing! Had an in-flight meal,champagne.Wonderful!The pending strike issues didn't affect us at all,slight delay of 30 minutes upon return which is normal.
Arrived into Santa Clara airport approx 10:25 am,Sunwing rep on site to direct us to our bus. We had purchased a case of beer at the duty free for on the bus,saved a bit of cash and when it ran out it was only 2 bucks a beer. About a 90 min bus ride no bathroom on board but made pee stops!:) It was an awesome tour through 3 towns with lots of history and info!TIP:if you have been to Cuba before or know someone who has been save some pesos to tip the driver and guide as you won't have a chance to change any money as there isn't enough time at the airport(if you prefer to tip,you don't have to)However the Cuban people are gracious and kind and this is how they make their living:)
Everyone who stayed at the Memories Paraiso or Azul receieved an envelope on the bus which contained our bracelets green for reg and grey for diamond club upgrade, as well as our room numbers and key cards and our rep info time and location for the following day! This was an awesome feature as we had no wait upon arrival and could go right to our rooms!!
I had emailed the hotel about a week prior to leaving nd gave our names etc and requested building 33 as it is close to the beach and theatre and everything...room 3365...oceanview...AMAZING!!!!!
Rooms were immaculate,clean,comfy,always had hot water except for between 4-7 is busy as EVERYONE is showering for supper!
We got to know our housekeeper who was awesome and left gifts for him each day and he was so thankful.Hats,flip flops,toothpaste,soaps,lotions!
The food was amazing,lots of variety...Medditerranean was good,Italian good,seafood,all al la cartes were great.
They had fresh fish or chicken or beef cooked right in front of you. Heinz ketchup and mustard at the beach grill.
The main lobby bar and the grill and bar are both 24 hours!Find David at the grill bar he was awesome!
OKAY PAY ATTENTION...BEST BAR...THE A-TEAM BAR RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BIG GAZEBO ON THE BEACH...ALEX AND ALEJANDRO ARE AMAZING!!! SO MUCH FUN!!TELL THEM LAURA SENT YOU! ALEX HAS A 6 YEAR OLD LITTLE BOY ALEX JR AND HIS LOVELY WIFE AND ALEJANDRO LOVES HEAVY METAL MUSIC...IRON MAIDEN,ACDC,METALLICA!!IF YOU WANT TO SEE SOME HAPPY GUYS BRING THEM SOME TREATS!T-SHIRTS,HATS ANYTHING TO DECORATE THEIR BAR...THEY WILLL LOVE YOU AND TREAT YOU AMAZING!!YOUR TRIP WILL BE UNFORGETTABLE!
Lobby bar has the best Mojitos!!
Paraiso swim up bar is awesome and where the activities are everyday...Mailley at the pool bar is a sweetheart and please find Eduardo in the activity center he is a blast!!!He will not forget you!!
La Estrella is a 3 min walk from the resort right nextdoor...there is a marketplace where the vendors change daily...they dont hound you at all! It was relaxed and awesome...everything at the market cost but is still cheap.There is a disco that is fun depending on who is there! 10cuc to get in which includes 3 drinks all other drinks are cheap anyways. Modern dance music and cuban music. The locals or employees are aloud on site at La Estrella and can only go into the disco if they are invited in. Had NO issues as they re all nice and polite.Every Monday night it is 15 cuc to go to the carnival which has a parade,live music,fireworks,and vendors with food and the street is lined with bars ALL INCLUDED:) Fab time!
There is a double decker bus that leaves the lobby every hour 2cuc to go on that will take you to other resorts and sight seeing!!!Well worth the 2 cuc!!
Catamarans are FREE and AWESOME fun!
Sometimes the ocean is very rough and the red flag goes up to not swim...but there's always the pool and it only happened a couple times.
Tipping isn't mandatory....however you do get better service if you tip.Almost a good idea to put your tip money in a separate change purse so you can monitor it a bit as it easily gets out of hand especially with the bartenders cause they are awesome!
About a peso every few drinks,al la cartes 2pesos,bellboys 1 pesos,housekeepers 1 peso. However again...I had no protocol, I tipped when I had awesome service and there were times I had no pesos in my swimsuit. Stick with the same bartenders and just tip them at the end of the day.Don't feel you have to either if you have little gifts to bring that's just as great!
It's all about the love in Cuba...hugs and kisses all around...the people are what makes the Cuban experience. I have been to Cuban 6 times and this place is laid back,quiet and relaxing.
Lots to do or little to do!Swim with the dolphins is min away and under 100 bucks!
Walkways were concrete and wooden pathways to the beach.
Nightly shows at 9pm...all awesome(no toilet seats on in theatre washrooms)
Ask for Juan Carlos on the left hand side bar in theatre!!

FABULOUS!

Room Tip: Email the resort...building 33....odd room number like 3365 awesome view!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LilGypsyLaLa
Many thanks for prefer Memories Paraiso and for share your opinion on Trip
Advisor.

I hope that your detailed review will help all those readers that are interested
to know about our Resort.

Regarding your decision to write us in advance, that gives us more time to at least
try to meet the requirements of our guests.
Obviously, all the requests are upon availability and during high season some are
very difficult to fulfill, but the best way is to write us in advance.

This is my mail, for all those who need to make in contact with us:

director.general@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu

Once again, many thanks for your opinion and we hope to receive your visit again.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Just back from an exciting trip to the Memories Azul resort in Cayo Santa Maria. Plane ride was great. Sunwing certainly provided the best service from an airline ( yes that includes you Westjet & Air Canada) with a full meal and snacks!
Customs went well. Sunwing tour operator was on hand at the airport to greet us. Before you get on the bus, make sure to buy a few cans of beer ($1.50) as the bus ride is about 1 hr45mins. You have lots of scenery to look at.
Check in went smooth. I'll start with the beast features. This is by far the best beach that I have ever seen.Turquoise water as far as the eye can see . If you get a chance to visit a certain bar on the beach ( run by Alex & alejandro aka the A-team) ask them about the crazy newfies. Swim up bar was excellent. No shortage of rum whatsoever. Ask for Armondo and he will take care of you. We held a big Paddy's day party and lots of people their in green! Our room was great. If you are there to party, try to get a room in 51-59 as that is the lively section. All bars serve good drinks. Lots of enterainment each night ( if you wanted to attend) but we mingled in the lobby with the crowds.
Food was the least best thing. I am not saying that their is nothing to eat, just that it was a little repetative. We all managed though! Bring your own mustard and peanut butter. Rest is there.
Met some amazing people and now we can call them our friends. Willl I go back, sure. Would I reccommend to go there? You bet.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 50's area are for the party crowd.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank GMUNY55
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Memories from “Memories Azul”

I have been to Cuba 5 times. I love the place and people. This resort gives Cuba a bad name. Believe the negative reviews!

Here are my Memories from our stay at Sunwing’s Memories Azul Resort on Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba. I have been in the tourist industry for over 20 years. I have been to at least 6 resorts all over Cuba and have been quite happy in all of them. This one is the worst managed one I have been to anywhere in the world. The setting is beautiful, the beach is great with room for all but crowded, and the buildings are nice. The nightly entertainment is fun. The staff is friendly and very nice but untrained. The upside is that it was warm, we rested, explored a bit, went swimming and diving.

Below is the downside.

Food:
1. Bacon that was uncooked, ie raw straight out of the package, piled on old stale bacon at breakfast.
2. Water logged scrambled eggs.
3. Soup but no spoons.
4. Ice cream but no spoons.
5. Signs that did not match the food below.
6. Recycled food, ie, yesterday’s items served again today and tomorrow.
7. Crab with no meat.
8. Mushy small lobster
9. Too tough to eat beef and pork.
10. Dirty plates, cups, glasses.
11. Line ups, line ups, line ups.

Service:
1. Sunwing uses reduced baggage weights so people are always shifting items from one case to another or leaving items behind to meet the weight requirements at the ticket book as opposed to paying $20 per extra kilo.
2. Good friendly staff but untrained. Many times waited in vain for coffee, cutlery, drinks, etc.
3. We asked 4 waitresses in the restaurant for coffee and never got one.
4. Bars running out of mint for Mojitos’, Tequila, Tonic Water, etc.
5. Ordered a Gin Martini, got a tumbler of Martini Rossi Vermouth, explained a gin Martini, got shown a bottle of Martini Rossi Vermouth. No! Gin plus a small amount of Vermouth please. A Gin Martini! Got high ball glass filled to the top with Gin and some Vermouth. Not shaken, Not stirred. Got drunk!
6. 2-4 hour line ups for booking an a la carte restaurant.
7. We booked at an a la carte restaurant for 7pm. When we got there at 6:45 there was 20 plus people lined up outside and the restaurant was full with people on their first serving. We all waited an hour before we could get in for a dinner of mushy lobster.
8. Never had it explained that to eat at the market restaurants which apparently are owned by the resort you had to book through the hotel. The restaurants were closed during the day and no signage to tell you what to do. We only found out from another couple.
9. 1-2 hour line ups to exchange money.
10. Internet was useless which happens in Cuba but when you have 5 out of six computers not working and broken chairs to sit on it doesn’t help.
11. Expensive store items all over, you are trapped there.
12. No decent map of the resort or area so we are constantly asking where things are or having people were asking us.
13. We watched an attendant rent a scooter to some folks in their 60’s. Shows them how they work. One woman gets seated, floors it, shoots across the parking area, jumps a curb, shoots across a small road, jumps another curb, runs through a garden and hits the only Palm tree. She hasn’t gone 100 feet. Surely the attendant isn’t going to let her go! Yes he is. She wobbles up the road, legs bleeding. No area maps either.
14. We listened to many unsolicited complaints from other customers regarding service, organization and cleanliness.
15. Some guests told us their experience is so bad they state that they will never come back to Cuba again. So sad. There are so many well run resorts and wonderful things to see and do.

Cleanliness:
1. Opted for clean sheets after a week. We got two single bed sheets for our king size bed.
2. Blankets were musty/moldy so left out to exchange for clean. Never got them.
3. Bathmat all moldy so left out to exchange for clean. Never got it.
4. Pillow had no cover and was covered in perspiration stains. Tried for 3 days before we got a cover.
5. Seats on mini buses around resort covered in mildew.
6. We watch as a waiter wipes his nose consistently and then puts 4 fingers into 4 glasses to move them so he can make drinks for customers. They probably have what he had.
7. We watch a waiter pour Pina Colada into glass with the remains of the last persons Pina Colada.
8. Cleaning lady cleans toilet with a rag and then uses the same rag to wipe the glasses.
9. Pick up a glass of OJ only to find after drinking part of it that it was filthy.
10. Beach just past the resorts property is covered with broken beach lounges from the resort on every 10 feet of beach. Dozens of them. See pics.
11. This stuff really puts a person off.

Noise:
1. Always very loud music. No quiet from a.m. to p.m. except the beach.
2. Speaker at the market is so loud you can’t hear people talk and we have to shut the doors to the restaurant when eating.

Entertainment
1. Evening entertainment is nice.

Tours
1. The one tour we took to three cities was very long, mostly driving with a short time in each city. Interesting though.
2. Diving was good and the dive masters were good.

This is not a 4-5 Star resort. It could be but I give it a 2 Star due to horrible management. It’s quite inexpensive but not worth it. There’s other good well run resorts in the same area. I can’t believe this is a Canadian company. Shame on you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple