“Is anybody listening-acting on issues?”

Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Winnipeg, Canada
“Is anybody listening-acting on issues?”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have booked a trip tor this hotel for spring break, March 22nd, 2013( which also happens to be my birthday) and I'm getting very worried that I didn't make the right choice after reading so many BAD reviews. I have heard that they have changed management in the resort, when did this happen? I'm really hoping that things written in the reviews have been addressed, Or even an attempt has been made to fix the common problems...Why spend the time and effort(or even having a forum like this to do so) making comments,stating your opinions and complaints if no one is listening???
I am not typically a person who would look at a cup and say it is half empty, and fully understand we are all human-beings with faults, BUT...when you are serving the public, who spend -a lot of-their hard earned dollars to go to an expected 5star, are shown pictures of an exotic looking, beautiful resort...with 5 star service, it is very upsetting to find out you've been 'duped', and couldn't have done nothing about it, or/and nothing will be done about it...
I am looking forward to the response the 'management' will give for this "review"...and will be keeping it in my records and papers that I will be bringing with me on my already booked vacation. I have been travelling during this time for a number of years and have stayed at many 4-5star locals, and am fully aware of the expectations of a 5star. I will also be speaking up if this resort doesn't seem to be 'stepping-it-up' as a commen thread in the 'management replies' have mentioned that the "new management will be addressing these issues. I hope this is not just a way to dupe people any further!!! I do not enjoy a "FOOLS PARDON"!!! I AM NOT A FOOL AND WILL NOT BE FOOLED!
I WILL be writing a review with my comments/opinions (and hopefully no complaints) about this resort when we return in early April....
I would very much appreciate your advise and suggestions on a great and memorable vacation. I will be travelling with my 5 year old boy as well, if anyone has suggestions on outings?

Room Tip: How do you go about getting a nice renovated room that is shown in the pictures/advertising for this...
1 Thank Angie F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,924)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Food: Five out of the seven days the food in the buffet was decent, some gems in between everything and good variety. It was better than expected. We did the Mediterranean Al Carte which was actually delicious (7 out of 10). There is lots of seafood for those who can eat it. Don’t expect too much from the 24hr buffet but there are some items that aren’t bad, the sandwiches are made fresh and at 3 in the morning it hits the spot.

Bars: Pretty decent, decent variety for liquor and obviously two choices of beer. Too be honest the Lobby bar on the Azul is the spot to party… I know because a couple of the nights I was the party lmao!

Beach: Cleaned every morning. The guys are very helpful for setting up and the waiters are excellent (with one guys covering 400 people it can take a while to get a drink) but order extra to compensate for the next drink. Unfortunately the water was rough for most of the trip due to a couple of storms that had passes through the area but all in all decent beach.

Pools: Well maintained and the bar service is excellent there. (There different pools on the resort)

The Village: Disco not packed basic top forty music, pay extra to get in and pay for drinks (don’t ask but I didn’t have to pay to get in lol, they thought I was related to the entertainer running the club for the resort). The disco and other extra amenities are located in the Village just off the resort. Nice to walk around, Spa service was not bad for what you pay, it was very relaxing.

The Rooms: Clean and Tidy however am not sure if it was sand flea bites or bed bug bites, am pretty sure it was sand fleas but who knows. Our Guy Manny treated us like royalty. The last day he ran us a hot bath with flower petals that form the word I love U… Bar fridge was stocked and he even gave us a bottle of champagne.

Entertainment: Not at all cheesy, well put together, there was always something on the go, form the Rock Cover Band before dinner, to the fashion show in the lobby to… it goes on and on. Excellent!!!

All in All I’d have to say it a 5 star resort for Cuban standards and a strong 4 stars by our standards. I loved it so much that I recommended to my parents to go there for their first all-inclusive vacation.

Very entertaining for All Ages!!!!

Now I have to add this because I got better than most treatment because I went around tipping everyone well to the point where they started refusing my money. I gave the room guy Manny 20 Cad for him along with gifts every day plus 20CAD for the guys stocking the bar Fridge. I tipped the guys at the Bar with 3 CUC and 5 CUC at least once a day. Grill guy got 20 CAD. 20 CAD to the beach Chair guys and they reserved our HUT on the beach with table and chairs every day (Best spot on the beach , by the Volley, Grill, bar and washroom. All our regular waiters were tipped well…. Yes I got the royal treatment from everyone on top of everyone already being polite.

I don’t recommend booking people on the Pardissos side it’s the older site however everyone has full access to the entire facility, definitely go for the Azul side!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Nick S
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were at Memories Paraiso January 13 to 20th and had a great vacation. My husband and I have been to cuba 18 times. This is the first time at Santa Maria. It is 48 km from the local cubans and nearest town. The service was the best we ever had. The coffee is better than any Starbucks. The lobby bar has wonderful service. Great drinks and coffee any time. The buffet is good, always something good to eat . People use your imagination make a sandwich or personal pizza what ever you want. The help was warm and helpfull. Please have some patience as these people work hard. The jeep tour was well worth the money. Please take it if you want to know more about Cuba. The rooms were clean and every thing worked.. Lots of hot water and water pressure. The ground are beautiful and well maintained. If you love the beach its the best in cuba!!!!!! Enjoy and don't let little things ruin your vacation.

33 Thank 181757Teresa
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went on vacation to relax in the sun at the beach knowing that from the reviews I read before leaving there would be some problems and there were. It is true that this should not be labelled a 5 star resort in spite of all efforts to present it that way. Effort does not earn generally accepted principles regarding the distribution of stars in a hotel rating system. Period. During our time there we filled in a couple of service oriented feed-back forms. SERVICE was not a problem. We found that if we took the time to let someone know what was going on (politely) then the problem was taken care of in a decent amount of time. The STAFF for the most part was hard working and friendly. I think it is difficult to work within the confines of the resources they have and that thy do a great job of making the best of their work day and relationships with guests.

MEALS - the first few days I was fine with the meals as we ate at the grill (near the market) which was close to our bungalow (41). We were delighted to find charcoal grilled red snapper each night for 3 nights and then boom! no more fish on the grill. From there it was downhill. It is true the food has very little taste but I really thought people were being overly fussy until I found myself eating a plateful of beets and mashed potatoes. Then Boom! - no more mashed potatoes. I hesitated to go over to the Buffet simply because I didn't want to line up for dinner or lunch but the few times we ate there we had pasta and it was pretty palatible. It was hot which is what we are used to. All of the food except for that which was made before you was cold. The manager mentioned (here) that if you don't want line-ups to go later - but if you want a semblance of warm food and variety you have to go early. Even going early doesn't work. In the grill, I was there at 6 pm as the food was fully placed but with no serving utensils since dinner is not open until 6:30. So as a result the food which was prepared 1. sat in the kitchen until all food was ready, 2. Sat on the buffet for a further 30 minutes
3. As a result was cold because the tables don't keep the food hot. (lack of parts problem perhaps)

I did not bother lining up and using precious vacation time to reserve in the a-la-cartes - especially given that the grill I went to everyday turning into an a-la-carte 3 times a week but basically had the same food as the other nights.

Breakfast turned out to be the best meal of the day. As someone else suggested - once you find a server that is on the ball just stick with them and it does make life so much more relaxing as it should be on a resort vacation.

CHECK-IN approaching the bus pick up at the airport there is a man handing out room keys, bracelets and a map in an envelop with your name on it. He did this in the dark - poor guy had no light! Ours and 4 others that I counted were not there meaning to me we had no fixed reservation. It was a long day as SunWing decided to change our flight taking our direct flight and extending it by landing first in Manzanillo (Cuba) then onto Santa Clara where we caught the bus (1.5 hours) to the resort.
When we went to the front desk we were told there were no more rooms at Paraiso and were given one at Azul. We hauled our luggage up to the 3rd floor room only to find the room has not been cleaned from the previous guests.
Exhausted we found our way back to the lobby, leaving our luggage behind. Now this is where it became important to be understanding and remain calm. It was simply explained that we would now like what we originally booked and were not going to accept less. Boom! It was done. We had a room with an ocean view and our luggage was immediately picked up arriving at our final room very quickly. We were quick to tip the young man who had to handle the suitcases down and up the three floors at 10:30 pm.

COMMUNICATION - needs upgraded. The front desk is inundated with needless questions if a simple info sheet was included with check-in.

THE RESORT GROUNDS - very large and a little confusing. It does take a while to get a feel for the grounds. The map you are given is rudimentary leaving many questions for guests as to the where abouts of restos etc. The paths are pitch black in parts. I wonder how many drunken guests have walked right into the pool at night. There is an easy fix to this IF Management could find some material to lay down to at least mark the outline of the paths in the dark as there are often little buses coming by shifting people onto the side (the ground and paths are not level and present a hazard). Many people carried flashlights which is a good idea but should be unnecessary. The gardeners worked really hard and do a great job at keeping the grounds (off path) clean and trimmed.

STAFF and ROOMS - We had a wonderful woman cleaning our room and were very pleased with the service both from her and from the mini-bar guy. The sheets were not changed regularly. Five days of the same sheets was off-putting but I did not make a special request to have them changed. The key was to be there once and introduce yourself and your needs to them - after that forgive some humaness. We are all human.
This goes for everyone who works at the resort. The hours are long and the tasks often tedious and the resources limited. It was great to see a Staff that tried hard and smiled through the tourist bs. When there was no running water I saw someone clean the bar with rum :) no problem - rum is plentiful and it was very little used.

LOBBY - one of my favourite places to hang out was the lobby. The lobby bar and coffee and service was excellent and usually there was calm type music either live or recorded. The washroom (now this is a perfect example of a missing star or two that carries through the resort) I wont list each dent, chip, dirty but the lobby washroom in my opinion should reflect the rest of the resort and it kind of did. The stalls were in dis-repair. Some locked but with a hole opening. Dripping water was caught with a dirty towel stuffed onto the floor. Always out of paper towels. The toilet paper cover (extra large) falling off while trying to get to the end of it. The tap in the middle of 3 not working what-so-ever. The taps cruddy as were the walls. Lack of cleaning tools and supplies is evident throughout the hotel.

BEACH - Beautiful - would love to see the life-guard on a perch and the flag up high. Eye level is not ideal for safety.

The reviews here are accurate - both the good and the bad so if you go just be prepared and make the best of your vacation time as there are plenty of great things to do and enjoy. That being said, I am really annoyed when I read that it is a 'cuban' 5 star. It is not a 5 star resort as it stands though I am sure management is working hard to get it there. A star system is a world-wide system and to call it a 5 star cuban style resort is an insult to the Cuban people. They are perfectly capable of producing a 5 star resort and should have the stars removed if they are not up to scratch.

Sorry for the length but some things need to be said.
If you are a picky person or a germ-a-phobe just don't visit this resort as there will be too many stresses to deal with.
and
I didn't like the idea of having to manage so much and I am pretty easy going so if you are truly a 5 star, high maintenance type of person don't subject yourself to Memories.

and finally, I noticed the resort manager gets upset with bad reviews and seems to be very frustrated ... I say please don't be frustrated just take all of the suggestions and implement the solutions and you will have a wonderful vacation destination that people will be willing to praise. The melding of cultures is a tricky thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Les F
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First- don't believe the complaints, they are very unfair, what I noticed is some People are looking to find the smallest detail to complain about, imagine going on a Vacation and not seeing the big picture, but chose to be negative no matter how much the Hotel and Staff do, their very best it's NEVER good enough for some, the only thing I need to complain about is that some of my Fellow Canadians are very rude and have no Manners. One time I apologized to the Grill Cook on behalf a very rude Women who yelled at him because she thought he should work faster...really??
you are on Vacation no?? These People work 6 days a week and way more than 8 hours a day...who in Canada works that much, not many.
So frankly ,I have the utmost Respect for all the Hotel Staff who keep smiling all the time and if anyone says that they are not friendly those People need to do some souleserching
and find out what their problem is!!
As for Memories Paraiso/Azul, I have no complaints, Food was between good and excellent I had some amazing Lobster several times, lots of fresh Fish very good Pizza, so trust me if you have an understanding of other Country's and Culture you can accept that everything is a little different than at Home including the Food.
We never had to line up in front of the Buffet Restaurants we waited until the very hungry People...LOL got in (they start lining up at 6PM. Restaurants opens at 6:30PM we arrived at 6:50 and voila no line up.
It's true there are some line ups at the Buffet but I am sure I never waited more than 15 minutes at the Grill, and we where there when the Hotel was booked solid from Jan 13th to 27th.
The Italian a la Cart is the best one for sure, book the Japonais Restaurant in the Pueblo do so at the Azul Lobby it costs 10.00 and worth it, we went there 2x loved the Shrimps and Lobster.
Our Room was very nice and big (if you expect the Ritz Carleton Decor you must simply pay 500.00 a day) very clean, the Ladies who looked after our Room Yamitha and Gleisy where awesome
every day we had some new Towel Art on our Bed, very thoughfull and made us feel special.
I went to check out the 3 Melia Hotels on the same stretch of Beach plus the Husa and I must say other than the Melia Las Dunas (quite a bit more expensive) I prefer the Memories.
Next time I go back to Cayo Santa Maria I will try the Royalton by Memories next Door from Paraiso, now this place is very very Exclusive and Butler Service all the way, WOW what an awesome Hotel, more $$$$ of course, I am a Travel Agent so have to try new Hotels all the time:-)
Memories has the best Beach, great for walking I went for 3 hours to the other end of the Beach and back one day, safe for Kids because the Ocean is very shallow for a quite a stretch,
I notice at the other Hotels the Ocean gets deep much faster.
The 1.5hr drive from the Airport in Santa Clara was no big deal as I said nothing is ever right for some People, plus they knew that before they booked their Vacation??
We enjoyed looking at the Country side plus the Buses are very comfortable.
The Catermeran Cruise we took was a great Excursion loved the Delphine interaction Lobster Lunch was very Good, so worth the 103.00 Pesos.

I do recommend the Memories Paraiso / Azul or Royalton (Adults only) the Paraiso and Azul are great for Families there is a very good Daycare we talked to some Guests who had their Kids
in the Daycare several times, apparently the Children did not want leave because of the good time they had.
We already miss Humberto the Butler on the Beach Diamond Club section, he must be walking 100KM a day getting Drinks all day long for so many People, he was just awesome.
I am glad Jose and his buddy who get the Beach chairs for you in the Diamond Club section enforced the infiltrators who did not pay for it, good job!!! We did see that some people turned
their Bracelet inside out to show it white (Diamond Club color) trying to cheat and use the comfy Beach Chairs, unbelievable.
Memories has a new GM and we have seen some good changes in our 2 weeks we where there,
I am sure he will do an excellent job!!
Loved my Vacation and have very good Memories of Memories Paraiso/Azul

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor for better view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
27 Thank ReneVal
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

First off, I would like to start by saying the responses to other reviewers by the Manager is totally unacceptable in a customer service driven business. I understand people get upset when they feel they are not treated fairly and don't receive what they pay for but your negative and rude comments back are totally unprofessional.

That being said, this resort is beautiful, clean and well maintained with lots of activities, sports and games for everyone. The beach is amazing and the most beautiful I've seen recently. We have also travelled extensively in Cuba in the past two years (6 trips) and this was our least favourite due totally to the service provided by the front desk and yes, the extremely long line-ups for everything. Management has commented that people should stagger their attendance times at the buffet - was this ever asked of anyone, NO. If you cannot handle the volume of guests then don't book so many, hire more staff or open additional spots for meals. Don't expect guests to just know you want them to show up at staggered or later hours so your staff can handle the volume. We are all on vacation and expecting to get exactly what we pay for - service with a smile. That is the business you're in after all.

We had many little problems and many trips to the front desk to try to sort them out with very little response from anyone - we had requested a king bed with a cot for our son and had 3 single beds and a request to change was denied and front desk said they had overbooked the hotel and nothing else available (not a real big deal); tv broken upon arrival (4 trips/calls to front desk before fixed on second day in the evening); toilet didn't flush upon arrival (3 calls per day to reception, flushing fixed on the first day late in the evening again, but then toilet running constantly and leaking for four more days before finally fixed); screen door fell off on second day (several calls and trips to front desk, finally fixed on 5th day of vacation and fell off again next day); many bugs in room starting on second day (probably due to no screen door, although we didn't leave the glass door open) - bugs were climbing up walls and drapes, on beds and floors, in the bathroom, on the tv, in the lampshades - several calls and trips to front desk and then 2 trips to public relations and they finally sprayed our room and beds and changed all linens at 10 pm on the 6th day of our vacation. I have over 20 bites on me from these bugs. Reservations at Mediterranean A La Carte restaurant for 7:30 pm (if you're late they say they will cancel your booking). We arrived at 7:25 and were told no available tables and to wait. Lots of available tables, just none cleaned up. Received table at 8:10 pm and were told 3 of the 5 items on the menu were not available but they were substituting tuna for salmon, lol. Asked to speak to the Manager twice and both times simply told "No". The pool bar ran out of plastic cups one afternoon around 1pm and simply told you no drinks unless you had your own cup. No effort was made to get cups from other staff or bar which I found odd. Again, customer service issue.

We were on the third floor of building 34. Great location to both pool, grill restaurant and walkway to beach. Unfortunately it rained 2 nights in a row and the ceiling drywall collapsed due to leaking and tile floor halls were quite slippery. No signage again to warn guests of danger. However, they were quick to repair and did call to see if we wanted to change rooms due to the inconvenience. We chose to remain as it didn't really affect us. I cannot complain about this as it was handled really well and the same thing could happen at home to any one of us.

Most of the staff are really friendly and accommodating and food was good for Cuba. Yes there were lineups but we had no problem with the food. If we didn't like it, we simply didn't eat it. No one got sick and that's a first in our 6 trips, so that was a definite plus for us. There are 5 restaurants in the Town (shopping area) next to the resort with amazing food. You can book any of these restaurants by going to the Azul reception for $10/adult and $5/child. They do not tell you about this and it is all word of mouth which is another problem with this resort. They do not have adequate information available for guests to know what is there/available or adequate mapping of where things are. If you book an A La Carte, you have to ask someone where it is because they don't tell you and they are not on any maps around the resort. Better signage and updating is definitely needed here. Due to the remote location of the resort, the store should stay open later than 8 pm. Most resorts the store is open to at least 10-11 pm.

Not a bad vacation but not a great one either. Would I go back, maybe if the price were right but not likely. The front desk staff really need to learn English to better serve the customers.

Room Tip: Building 34 good location to pool, beach and grill. 5 minute walk to Town shopping.
11 Thank Debbi A
London, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Cuba. We've been to several resorts in various areas of Mexico. The room itself was fine, they actually put us on the paraisio side when we booked with azul but we didn't say anything. They set up a twin extra bed for our 6 yr old which was accommodating. The pool and surrounding area were really nice. The sports club to play ping pong etc was right next to the pool which was handy when our son wanted to play. The entertainment staff were great at engaging our son to play. The beach was the best we've ever seen, it was wavy when we were there but the water was still spectacular. Two of the al a cartes were good (Italian and Mediterranean ) not the Asian . I'm not going into detail about the buffets, it's Cuba..... They do what they can with limited resources , it wasn't anything I didnt expect. If you are expecting elaborate, gourmet don't go to Cuba. Stop writing about your bad food experience, we've all had our own experiences, I highly doubt not one person warned you about the food. It's a great family resort. Go with an open mind and enjoy the good aspects of this resort.

• Stayed January 2013
Grand Memories Varadero
Grand Memories Varadero
#34 of 64 in Varadero
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,997 reviews

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!