“Memories for a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Paraiso Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and i went to the resort from June 20-27, 2012. During this time we cellebrated our wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. The staff at this resort are fabulous. They are very friendly and strive to fullfill every wish.
My wife and left with great memories and plans to return again next year.
Best value for our money we have ever had.

I highly recommend you go and experience the hospitality for yourself !!!

Room Tip: beach view room are the way to go.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank BarrySurrey_Canada
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thanks a lot for choosing Memories Cayo Santa María to spend your vacation and to take your time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

We very happy to know you have nice Memories of your anniversary wedding and wife’s birthday, and we contributed a little to make that possible; your words are the best prize for our effort, and the best motive to keep going on.

We are very please to know that you are thinking to come back soon, and I can guarantee you, your next stay will be even more memorable

Please let me know the date of your next visit my e-mail address director.general@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu

Write a ReviewReviews (6,591)

Reviewed June 25, 2012

The one constant comment we heard when telling people about our upcoming trip to Cuba was to "bring spices", as, apparently, the food is infamously bland and tasteless. While I'd agree that it's not exactly 5* cuisine, it's pretty standard for resort fare.

The staff at Memories Azul is extremely friendly and helpful, overall. Bartenders and waiters are very conversational and generous. The exception to this statement would be the housekeeping staff, as the room often went uncleaned and calls to the front desk were ignored.

The beaches were beautiful, and there were always plenty of beach chairs available for those who arrived early enough. Ditto for the pool chairs.

The daytrip to Santa Clara was a bit of a struggle, as there were no beverages on the bus. A tidbit that could have been shared beforehand, as we were travelling with a 11-month-old baby. As well, the trip was rushed - more time was spent sitting in the bus on the way to a destination than actually at the destination - 3 hour drive, 15 minutes at the Che Guevara memorial. Another 2 hour drive, 20 minutes in town, and on and on.

Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable time at Memories Azul, and would recommend the resort for easy-going travellers looking for an affordable and stunning destination.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Bajeebe
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Let me start of by being honest: this is is not a five star hotel, atleast by Canadian Standards, don't get me wrong though, we still loved it.

Let me tell you a little about the resort first:

Memories Azul Beach Resort is located on the island of Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba. It is a joint ventures owned by Blue Diamond, a Canadian Company (49%) and by the Government of Cuba (51%). There is a police checkpoint before the Cayo Santa Maria that makes sure that local Cubans can not go on the island unless they are hotel / resort staff. It is 1 1/2 hours away by bus from Santa Clara International Airport. They have many bars, pools, activities, and of course amazing beaches. Most of the Tourists at Memories Azul are Canadians, with flights coming in from Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Staff Members are very nice, but will not talk to you about their life conditions or the Cuban Government. If they do open up, it will still be very limited. Stay away from these subjects. As tourists you are first class citizens in cuba, while the locals are second.

Beaches: The beaches are unreal, white sand, great water, and very clean. There are staff members on the beach to get your seats in the shade or in the sun, and open bars by the resort on the beach. If you catch any fish on the beach, bring it to the bar and they will cook it for you. The bars will also cook fish if they catch anything. Memories offers many activities on the beach such as Beach Volleyball, Yoga / Aquafit and so on (they don't always follow the schedule of activities, but if you bug them about it they will do it). Some have gotten stung by jelly fish so heads up.

Beach Towels: You get 1 beach towel per person in your room, and you can change your towels at any time (except lunch time for the staff) between 9am-5pm at the towel booth near Bungalow 56-57. Room service does not change your beach towels. If you lose a towel you will be charged 12 Cuban Convertible Pesos to get a new towel. i recommend you check your beach towel when they give you a new one. Many are dirty (they have stains, spots etc) Just tell them that it is dirty, they'll give you a new one.

Pool: The pools are amazing, there are pools for adults, kids, babies, and families. Some pools have a pool bar which is really nice (you don't have to get out of the water to get drinks, you sit on a stool in the water). The pools have a basketball net, a volleyball net, and a handball net. If you go I highly recommend you bring your own equipment. They sports shop will let you sign out volleyballs and such but they only have 1 to sign out, and they go really fast. They also close at 5pm, so you cant get anything after that time, and if you do get to sign out anything, it has to be returned by 5pm or you get charged. The pools are really clean and are surrounded by chairs with plenty of room to sit, both in the sun and in the shade. The hotel teaches you how to scuba dive in the pool for free on Mondays and Thursdays. Salsa lessons on the pool desk everyday. Sports shop has a pingpong table, foosball table

Food: Many people say that food is a problem in Cuba. Memories is decent, you will find something to eat. However if you have dietary restrictions such as Kosher, or Halal you will have a problem here. There are vegetarian options but you may find the food repetitive.
*Buffet*: The resort has a buffet that is open from 7am to 10pm and serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast they have an egg, waffle and pancake station plus alot of other choices. For lunch they have a fried rice station, a fish station (make sure Rene makes your fish, he's the best) a pasta station, a pizza station, a chicken and steak station plus other items. For dinner, they have the same stations as lunch plus a crepe station / fried banana station with dessert - it is amazing. The waiters at the buffet are very nice. Ask for Denny he gives the best service. There will be line ups, but its worth it.
*The Sports Bar*: Its open 24/7 so you can get sandwiches, fries, burgers, hot dogs, fried fish etc. They have a bar, a pool table, and many tvs so you can still follow your sporting events.
*A La Carte Restaurants*: The resort offers you 4 A La Carte Dinner reservations, (5 if you are apart of Diamond Club). You book what you want (Italian, Carribean etc) in the Lobby, but the lines can get them long, book them asap. (You can book it from 9am - 3pm). I recommend the Italian Restaurant (get the fried mozzarella as an appetizer). Stay away from the Mediterranean restaurant - its gross. The best part is that if the A La Carte food is bad, you can walk right over to the buffet.

Bars: Lobby Bar and Sports Bar are open 24/7. The Poor Bar and beach bars are open till 5pm. The bars will get crowded. The bartenders are nice, but do not know who came before who. They will not take your order - you have to tell them what you want, or expect a long wait. The drinks will have a generous portion of alcohol. (You cant taste the coke in a Rum and Coke). Try the Pina Colada - amazing.

Rooms: Rooms are big, and alright. You get a tv with BBC and CNN - stations locals can not get access to. The rooms are dusty, and have alot of bugs - if you get mosquito bites, this part will be brutal. You will have to run into your room when you open it so the bugs wont come in. The bathroom and sinks are nice. You may get dirty towels (with stains etc) so heads up. The maid will leave you notes and make designs with your sheet - its pretty nice. No wifi in the rooms or resort - welcome to Cuba.

Lobby: The Lobby is very nice, alot of couches, chairs etc. You can smoke in the lobby. They have a gift shop where you can buy alcohol, cigars, toys, books. A telephone booth, and internet booth (30 mins to load a page tho - and it costs money). They also have a place to convert money. A good place to hang out. A bell boy will drive you to your room, the beach, the pool, where ever for free (you should obv. tip) just tell the lobby you need a ride. They are all very nice, Joel Antonio however will be the nicest guy you will meet at the resort. He'll become family.

Theatre: There is a show every night at 9:30pm in the theatre. They are very entertaining and its a way for everyone to come together. Alot of audience participation with prizes (bottles of rum). All shows are okay for kids. There is a bar in the theatre.

Tipping: The staff appreciates tips whether it is Pesos, USD, or CDN $. However they do not get to keep their monetary tips, they have to put it in a big pool where they then split it with everyone who works at the resort. What they like more is household goods - markers, pens, clothes, hats etc. They can keep those. Life is really hard for them in Cuba. I gave one person construction paper, and he told me that his daughter would have never seen that in cuba. They really value these things.

Trips: If you want to see the real Cuba, this is not the place for you. Memories Azul is Paradise, nothing like the real Cuba. Make sure you take the Havana Trip, or Trinidad (Cuba), or Santa Clara. Its one day, and you get to see alot, learn the history etc. The trips are reasonably priced and really worth it.

Clinic: If you get hurt, you can go to the international clinic not far away. Taxis cost 3 pesos one way and ambulances cost 5 pesos one way. Make sure you get medical insurance, just in case.

We were at Memories for 7 days and had a great vacation. Enjoy your trip, bring alot of sunscreen lotion and bug spray.

Room Tip: Oceanview Rooms are the same price Bunaglow 56-58 are very close to the beach, pool, sports bar, an...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
65  Thank Ameya P
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Me, My fiance, and our two boys 14 and 12 visited Memories from December 20-December 28, 2011 and had a very relaxing enjoyable vacation at this resort. We must have gone at the right time of year as we did not have any flies and very few misquitos. The staff were great if you treated them like people and got to know their names and a little bit about them. Basic spanish vocabulary helps a lot! My boyfriend of 16 years proposed to me here on the gorgeous beach and we are going back to Memories this December to get married. When we travelled I only had myself and my two boys to worry about and we went having no expectations and no set schedule except to relax and enjoy quality time with our boys ended up going on the city excursion to Santa Clara. We enjoyed it very much, got to see and learn about the "real"or local Cuba and had the rest of the week to enjoy the beach and pools and also met some very nice locals who work at the resort. I have been reading the recent reviews and am getting a little nervous to go back as this time I will be travelling with a group of 20-40 of my family and closest friends. Some of them have never travelled before and I have assured them all that they will love this resort,Cuba, and have a great time at our wedding. I am writing this review in hopes that Eduardo Marron the general manager of this resort will expect us in December (11-25,2012) and assure me that he will have a warm reception and wonderful wedding waiting for me and my family and that we will be well taken care of while we are there as I have waited a very long time to have my dream wedding on this dreamy beach and we are all spending a great amount of money to make this happen in Cuba. I do not usually go on vacation expecting any more than a great beach, edible food and sunshine but I when I am pre-planning my wedding and paying premium price I am expecting more and I hope that Memories will not let us down!!!

Room Tip: We had Bungalow 33 enjoyed the central location right in the middle so same distance to enjoy both s...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank charityt
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Client:

It is our pleasure to read all your comments regarding your last stay in our beautiful resort. We are extremely glad to read you will celebrate your wedding with Memories, in our hotel, and will be a pleasure to provide our best treatment to you in order to celebrate this memorable journey.

Contact us when all the reservation was done and we will take in our hands every single detail. You can contact directly with Yudiel Manejias Torres (Sales Manager) in jefe.ventas@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu or Diana Hernández (Wedding planner) in jefe.rrpp@memoriesparaisoazul.co.cu . They will let me know all necessary.

Best regards,

Eduardo Marrón

Reviewed June 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I just came back from Memories Azul Hotel in Cuba (Cayo Santa Maria). Beach is very good, room was big.....that's all good in this hotel ends!!! Sheets, pillowcases, towels - everything was dirty, changed only in two or three days. Our bathrobes have not been changed at all!
The staff didn't smiled, they all seemed to be bored and tired of their job. And even tips couldn't help. In a boutique in the cigar room they did not have price tags on the cigar. Prices depend on who is working today and perhaps on their mood. So the same box of cigars one day was CUC 350.00, then next day was CUC 450.00. Finally we get the real price in Duty Free Store - CUC 239.00.
THE FOOD was disgusting, horrible, not fresh ... I don't even know where it was the worst in the buffet or in restaurants. It is like you are playing in Russian roulette - once you had a dinner, and then you don't know where are you going to spend your evening - enjoy the show or in the toilet. I could recommend the food at the buffet which is preparing right in front of you.
Once at the Italian restaurant I ordered (can't remember the exact name of the dish) risotto with shrimp and mushrooms. I tried to find in my plate at least something other than rice ....nope!!!... the waitress told me that the restaurant ran out of mushrooms, but probably the shrimps was also finished, because I found only one and very small ONE!
It was very bad experience, even worse, because for my boyfriend it was first time in Cuba and after two weeks of diarrhea he doesn't want to hear anything about Cuba. Too bad!! Because I know - there are so many wonderful places, but it seems to me that my boyfriend appreciates them will not soon!

Room Tip: Only highest floors, and as close as it possible to the lobby
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank witemice
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Client:
We want to thank you for all the suggestion you let us know with your review concerning to your last stay in our beautiful hotel. We are terrible sorry to know about your disappointment about some of our services.

Just to clarify some of your topics I sincerely want to extend our apologize about the maid service your received, we will investigate this carefully, but at the same time I need to explain we do have enough supplies to provide the service, if you want to change anything every day just need to contact the chambermaid.

At the same time, we will check our service at the Italian restaurant because these kinds of claims are very rare in this restaurant. In general terms, food is one of our strong points; always taking into account Cuba has some limitations concerning this topic.

We checked in person the episode in our store. First than all I need to clarify it not belong to the hotel, but we are always working as a team with them. We send you our must sincere apologize in name of the store staff because you received a wrong prize during your first visit because they have a new employee that day.

Although you receive a bad experience during this visit, we will extend our commitment to revert this situation if you decide to give us another chance. Will be my pleasure to receive you again and take in my hand every single detail you may need.

Best regards,

Eduardo Marrón

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The food, fun, beach, pool, and staff were the best!!! This holiday far exceeded my expectations. I was told that the food was bland in Cuba, but that was not my experience. I ate mostly food that was prepared in front of me at the buffet. Because it was the end of May the lineups were not too great. For breakfast , omlettes to order or waffles made right in front of you. Also the baked goods (bread and dessert) were to die for. For lunch and supper each and every day in the buffet were pizza makers making mini pizzas with the toppings you choose. Spaghetti bar with different pastas, sauces and toppings cooked up right in front of you. Grilled fish, chicken or beef all done as you request. The rice bar was my favorite. Choose your toppings and they prepare the best fried rice, right before your eyes. There was also a sushi bar that prepared sushi to order too. I cannot comment on that as i do not do sushi lol. For dessert my kids loved the banana and other fruit flambe's. There was also ice cream and many many different sweets to choose from. I do not drink so i cannot comment on the many different cocktails i saw but the cappuccino was excellent. I had my fair share of those. The pools were beautiful, the one closest to the restaurant seemed to have way more chlorine that the one with all the activities. The beach was beautiful as i am told it is all over Cuba. The entertainment in the evening was excellent. In particular the Grease show and the Michael Jackson act. I have read that the services are not that great such as internet or phone for example. I made a decision that i was not doing any phone or internet while on holiday so I do not have a problem with that. I feel that this is a chance you take when visiting poor countries. You just pray that no one gets sick and you don`t need to get anywhere in a hurry. I personally felt the staff was great and did everything they could to make our holiday memorable. You treat others as you would like to be treated which causes me to question one of the reviews i read that said the staff never smiled and were unhappy with their job. My experience was that they came running and were all very happy to help. It was a bit loud sometimes in the late evening as some people just have no respect for others but that is not the fault of the hotel. I challenge anyone to top this hotel. As a matter of fact, please do as I would love to return to Cuba soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa 51 which was closest to the front desk, theatre and restaurant. Our balcony overl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
22  Thank Debbie F
Reviewed June 12, 2012

well i just returned last week (may 30- june 6) from yet another wonderful stay at this resort. this trip was very different from our first one in November but was also a blast.
firstly YES the bugs are bad this time of year, i got a lot of mosquito bites but did not let it ruin my trip, a lot of the staff told us that July and August are even worse. people using Avons skin so soft said it worked well.

during the morning we would spend out time at the beach, we enjoyed playing something that was similar to bocce ball in the sand, they also had some beach volley ball going on. around 11 i believe (i was on island time) they always had dancing/aerobics in the water. what we do need to remember it is slow season so once they announce the activity over the mic if there are no participants then they can not do the activity.

our afternoons were spent at the top pool by the grill at the swim up bar, although we did not do a ton of drinking it was nice to play some water volley ball with Giraldo, did some dancing to ragg ragga and mosa. we always found a good time in whatever we were doing.

as for the food I have a lot of sensitivities and stomach issues when at home in Canada but when in Cuba they are non extant as the food is not processed or full of preservatives. I do strongly agree that you do not go to cuba for the food but at the same time there is always something for everyone.

the resort is big but is walkable if you feel like being treated to a ride once in a while just ask someone to call for a driver who will take you wherever you need to go...Wilmer is the best :)

at night go to the grill or the disco which are both fun, try and get to know Giraldo and you will always have a fun time at the disco or say hello to Cancela at the grill who works the night shift.

for great service at the buffet sit in Dariens section he will treat you well...just talk to the staff get to know them a bit and i promis you it will make your trip just a little better.

wherever you go on holidays it doesn't matter if it is a 5 star or 2 star it is what you make it, if you want to let the little things ruin your trip then it will. i tend to go places with an open mind talk to the staff and make my own party whenever i go.

already planing our trip back for November and can not wait!

Room Tip: building 55 is my favorite
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Valentin Perla Blanca
Valentin Perla Blanca
#11 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#5 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Memories Paraiso Beach Resort? Share your experiences!